Microsoft asks consumers to

No, Windows protects itself from people who shouldn't be messing with system files. The ones who know what they're doing aren't bothered by UAC/system file protection etc.

Are you saying that Windows 7 is NOT completely idiot friendly? "people who shouldn't be messing with system files / registry" are pretty much all non-power users.

As for viruses, I run without UAC (killed off, not just silences) on Admin account without any issues.

No viruses for YEARS, even before the W7 era.

(And ew on the analogy by the way)

Gets the point across, person=website, protection=AV, how many websites does a person visit in a day, alot

Does that include the time it took to set up the USB stick or boot disk that fakes the mac EFI and all that. Cause I can install win7 in 15-20 minutes to a usable desktop, that's not happening with any hackintosh.

I had to install Win7 Sp1 after a long time last week (new sandy bridge build :)). Total install time + all possible updates was 30-35 mins. ****ing fast :D and I am not even using a SSD.

ive used both..

let me break it down

the both are pretty much equally responsive.. OSX is like simpler.. things are more natural. Easier. Softwares are designed to be easier. The whole OS seems like ONE THING. even the 3rd party softwares follow the orignial OS design philosophy. So it is very consistent! and was really impressed by this. Windows on the other hand doesnt look so good. Its not easy. And its not so natural. But ... There is something about it that i love!.. I love how some things are technical to do. And when i do such things which involve editing system files and such.. i love it!

I know much of it can be done using terminal in OSX.

the different types.. or should i say.. the unlimited variation of different softwares available for windows is just awesome!

and you can make it run and look like a mac :p with dock and everything.

the whole system can be pretty much customised to the very basic layer!

MACs look pretty and expensive. And thats why they charge more. SIMPLE AS THAT. (and i am not saying that its not justified. It is) :)

I went to Florida last week and I didn't take it out. Sometimes they ask me to and sometimes they don't

You're lucky, I flew (BOS-FLL) in march (not the iBook trip :p) and we had to take out laptop.

I only wish Apple would release a less powerful Mac Pro targeted at PC users like myself who prefer custom build machines that are powerful and not overpriced. A price of $1500-$2500 (without a monitor) would be really reasonable. This way I would never get stuck between the crappy Mac Mini, the iMac which is a desktop with weaker laptop parts (and a forced expensive monitor) and finally the expensive Mac Pro beast.

You missed the part about going to ANY repair shop.

Right. So you go to a computer repair shop and and you people with computer problems. Gee whiz sherlock, who'd have guessed?

Do you actually have any credible statistics about the ratio of infected/uninfected Windows users?

You're lucky, I flew (BOS-FLL) in march (not the iBook trip :p) and we had to take out laptop.

I did! Because my backpack was FULL (had to put lots of stuff in it because my suitcase was exactly 50lbs...) and it would have been a pain to empty part of it to get to the laptop. On the way to Florida I wouldn't have cared though

Worst site ever!

Yea Mac's are expensive for what they are but that site makes them look worth while :rofl:

Spend more that ?5 Microsoft and create a site that at least looks complete graphically. :no:

Right. Just because I don't run a scanner means I'm not protected.

Pro tip: if you know nothing about comp sec, do yourself a favor and stop making yourself look ignorant please.

You should take your own advice.

Does that include the time it took to set up the USB stick or boot disk that fakes the mac EFI and all that. Cause I can install win7 in 15-20 minutes to a usable desktop, that's not happening with any hackintosh.

What i meant was i have like 40 50 different softwares i need and use on windows so setting up meant installing all of them. And the USB stick took me 3 to 5 min?? iBoot took like 2min to write on a seperate disk?? thats it

get your mom to do the same without giving her any instructions (not even telling her about insanelymac) and I'll be impressed :shifty:

i agree here :) and i wrote how EASY OSX is.. and natural :)

I only wish Apple would release a less powerful Mac Pro targeted at PC users like myself who prefer custom build machines that are powerful and not overpriced. A price of $1500-$2500 (without a monitor) would be really reasonable. This way I would never get stuck between the crappy Mac Mini, the iMac which is a desktop with weaker laptop parts (and a forced expensive monitor) and finally the expensive Mac Pro beast.

If they're going to do it one day it might actually be sooner than later. With the xserver gone and considering how old the Mac pro design is a redesign isn't off the table. They could split the mac pro line and have something a bit more consumer friendly (using regular intel cpu as opposed to expensive xeon chips)

Pro tip: if you know nothing about comp sec, do yourself a favor and stop making yourself look ignorant please.

Well then now so einstein, you think something that hides itself from the OS is going to be seen normally, alot of stuff i deal with on a daily basis i have to boot into Linux or Bart to get out because nothing that runs on the OS can get it out.

This is getting entertaining...

*fetches popcorn, gets comfortable*

The thread is taking the exact direction I expected it to take when posting it.

Want a beer with the popcorn?

They should have done "Do the Math before buying an iPad2" :-)

As opposed to the other similarly priced Android tablets? (or more expensive in some cases)

Well then now so einstein, you think something that hides itself from the OS is going to be seen normally, alot of stuff i deal with on a daily basis i have to boot into Linux or Bart to get out because nothing that runs on the OS can get it out.

So the best you can do is spin some FUD on how I'm supposedly infected and don't know it?

I hope this isn't supposed to be your best shot at proving how Macs are allegedly "more secure", not to mention that your FUD applies equally to Macs as well. Give it up. Please. It's so pathetic, it's almost painful to watch.

Right. So you go to a computer repair shop and and you people with computer problems. Gee whiz sherlock, who'd have guessed?

Do you actually have any credible statistics about the ratio of infected/uninfected Windows users?

Yes just go to a shop and ask them, and i might be missing what you are meaning by credible, are you looking for just statistics from a small number of websites you decide on ? Yea go ask a repair shop yourself, cause i have no idea what site you want an answer to be seen on. So you can ignore it. many times on neowin i have said i work at a repair shop, you ignore it, said to go to one of your choosing, you dont want to do that also. Point blank you dont want to belive anything to the contrary of what you say, you jsut have your mind set on it regardless of any facts shown.

Interesting that they opted for a very Apple.com like design in that page but didn't quite manage it.

There are some really fantastic looking PCs such as the HP Envys - but of course they don't use them because they are priced more like MacBooks and it doesn't make their point well.

Yes just go to a shop and ask them, and i might be missing what you are meaning by credible, are you looking for just statistics from a small number of websites you decide on ? Yea go ask a repair shop yourself, cause i have no idea what site you want an answer to be seen on. So you can ignore it. many times on neowin i have said i work at a repair shop, you ignore it, said to go to one of your choosing, you dont want to do that also. Point blank you dont want to belive anything to the contrary of what you say, you jsut have your mind set on it regardless of any facts shown.

Seriously: what facts?

I'll humor you and try to explain the obvious here. Fact is, only people with computer problems bring them to a repair shop. If we're to take statistics from a computer repair shop, we might as well conclude that everyone has computer problems. (/Captain Obvious mode)

If you have no idea what credible statistics are, you really need to let go and stop wasting time being angry that I'm not taking your non-credible opinion seriously. If you seriously think that not running a scanner means one doesn't have protection, you really need to stop commenting on comp sec.

But of course :)

I am implying that you have no clue what you're talking about.

+1 also, my WMP hasn't decreased in the slightest.

I find my MBP keyboard the most comfortable accurate keyboard i've used in years. The closest was probably the original DiNovo keyboard

:laugh:

Nah, I'll take the orange juice. Makes the reading more sweet.

Apple doesn't have any better warranty support than anyone else, and what you're saying isn't rue anyway. I could give you numerous examples of this from consumer reports in Norway. The shop handles the customer the shop refers it to apple, same as any other company. We also had a example here where a business customer ad all the batteries on a series of MBP's expand enough that the casing aroudn them broke apart. and Apple refused to replace these 1.5 year old batteries because this was something that just happened to these batteries and not a warranty claim (despite the fact that you now by law have to provide 2.5 years warranty on batteries in Norway).

Apple track record as far as service and support go, is no nice clean slate, and have as many black spots as the average PC manufacturer.

Well, here we go then

Im in the UK mind

Bought my Macbook from PC World in 2008. 15 months later, my battery died, expecting to pay ?90 for a battery as it was out of warranty, walked up to a advisor and they gave me a new one for free there and then.

Second case, those chips that people seem to be getting on the *PLASTIC* models, took it in to Apple, 1.5 years out of warranty and they replaced the whole casing and the keyboard and mousepad for free.

Compare that to the 6 months it took to get a repair on a Dell machine, which when it kept BSOD'ing, insisted on doing "Remote Control" which only ended when Tesco just took it back because they were embarrased.