Microsoft asks consumers to

They should have done "Do the Math before buying an iPad2" :-)

:laugh: But the iPad2 is the most revolutionary product released since the iPad1!

It can do everything other lappies / tablets / slates have been doing for 5 years now. PLUS, it comes with a price that really shines in your face! How can you not like that?

Well, here we go then

Im in the UK mind

Bought my Macbook from PC World in 2008. 15 months later, my battery died, expecting to pay ?90 for a battery as it was out of warranty, walked up to a advisor and they gave me a new one for free there and then.

Second case, those chips that people seem to be getting on the *PLASTIC* models, took it in to Apple, 1.5 years out of warranty and they replaced the whole casing and the keyboard and mousepad for free.

Compare that to the 6 months it took to get a repair on a Dell machine, which when it kept BSOD'ing, insisted on doing "Remote Control" which only ended when Tesco just took it back because they were embarrased.

Hmm, the screen glass on the left side of my MBP is coming slightly unstuck, and i'm a month out of warranty. Might pop down to the Apple store then after all

Have you even touched a Mac? The aluminium is anodised and does not leave finger marks for a start - and secondly no laptop on that website if dropped on the floor is going to just bounce and be fine. The cases would take cosmetic damage at the least.

I have DV6SE which has brushed aluminium body, no fringer marks on this either. Site also features Envy, DV6se, DV7se, all have brushed aluminium body...

And yeah my laptop also has HP Protect Smart HDD Protection, so no damage to HDD even after a fall, on the other hand a friend of mine dropped his Mac 13...HDD gone....few dents, etc...and inspite of 3 yrs warranty they charged ~$400 for repairs, as warranty doesn't cover accidents....

people like pretty stuff and Mac stuff is... pretty... so do the math.

In fashion sense,

Mac = Diesel, Channel, Gucci

PC = Ross, Marshall, payless

I have DV6SE which has brushed aluminium body, no fringer marks on this either. Site also features Envy, DV6se, DV7se, all have brushed aluminium body...

And yeah my laptop also has HP Protect Smart HDD Protection, so no damage to HDD even after a fall, on the other hand a friend of mine dropped his Mac 13...HDD gone....few dents, etc...and inspite of 3 yrs warranty they charged ~$400 for repairs, as warranty doesn't cover accidents....

Apples laptops have the same head parking feature for the hard disks that HP has. They've had it since like 2005 at-least. So it's no different to your HP in that regard.

people like pretty stuff and Mac stuff is... pretty... so do the math.

In fashion sense,

Mac = Diesel, Channel, Gucci

PC = Ross, Marshall, payless

no, that's not how it works. You can't bundle PC's in one group on this. there are PC's that are as much fashion accesories as Mac's. for example the Vaio and the HP Envy, among a few other.

So the best you can do is spin some FUD on how I'm supposedly infected and don't know it?

I hope this isn't supposed to be your best shot at proving how Macs are allegedly "more secure", not to mention that your FUD applies equally to Macs as well. Give it up. Please. It's so pathetic, it's almost painful to watch.

Do what, , i dont belive macs are more secure, because they are not. They are as secure as windows, there just isnt as much stuff to effectivly exploit them as there are windows, and i do belive that will soon change.

Seriously: what facts?

I'll humor you and try to explain the obvious here. Fact is, only people with computer problems bring them to a repair shop. If we're to take statistics from a computer repair shop, we might as well conclude that everyone has computer problems. (/Captain Obvious mode)

If you have no idea what credible statistics are, you really need to let go and stop wasting time being angry that I'm not taking your non-credible opinion seriously. If you seriously think that not running a scanner means one doesn't have protection, you really need to stop commenting on comp sec.

FACT NOT ALL COMPUTER PROBLEMS ARE INFECTIONS.

You asked for statistics relationg to infections vs non infections, which you will find at a repair shop, people beinging stuff in for cleaning vs bringing stuff in for warrenty repair and service, NOT ALL RELATING TO INFECTIONS, in the amount of time it took for me to write the above i had somebody bring in a Seagate HDD that the dog knocked off the table for data recovery.

Hey guess what its a repair and its not an infection.

Had a MSI Netbook and Toshiba laptop not able to see wifi, doubtfull its an infection but possable, BUT ITS STILL A REPAIR. NOT ALL COMPUTER PROBLEMS ARE INFECTIONS

Hmm, the screen glass on the left side of my MBP is coming slightly unstuck, and i'm a month out of warranty. Might pop down to the Apple store then after all

Might as well give it a try, and see how it pans out, good luck! :)

You get what you pay for. (*sans iPad/ accessories)

There are really great laptops (see this Vaio S), but most of the time their price is close to an Apple counterpart; it would be fair to mention they all fail short on premiums such as the display panel. I'd add here that I get fewer 'can you do this for me' / 'but I didn't do anything !!!' calls from people with Macs. Software does have a say - as you may well notice not all Apple hardware is on the bleeding edge, but the delivered experience is more than pleasing.

It's as if Microsoft is trying to sell me a Mac...

Either way they can sell a copy of windows, each machine including the macs can run windows

I don't care about the whole do the math thing to see if a mac is cheaper etc...

I just don't need a Mac OS, and it happens that even the ThinkPads T series are cheaper than MacBookPros.

Dear Microsoft,

If you want me to purchase a computer running Windows how about fixing Windows so that it doesn't look like a hacked up mess equal to that of a bad linux distribution from 10 years ago. You include DirectWrite/Direct2D and yet all the command controls and fonts are still using GDI+, your control panel is a mess with control panel tools that are complete inconsistent with the Aero user interface guidelines, the bundle applications are all written using different UI controls meaning every one of them looks and behaves differently - in other words Windows is a top to bottom usability disaster.

You say that Windows is more 'feature complete' and 'flexible' yet when when it comes to creating a simple webcam video for YouTube I have to go hunting for a recording application but with Mac OS X all I have to do is open up QuickTime and start recording and when I do get something from an OEM 9/10 it is some crappy Logitech 'custom application' that is as buggy as hell - would it kill you to include something akin to QuickTime to do basic video recordings? When it comes to battery life, why is it that I can always get more hours of a full charged MacBook Pro than I can with a Wintel laptop - I thought Windows was supposed to be 'more efficient' - it seems that it still lags behind. When it comes to drivers, again, when are we going to see you finally force vendors to actually update their code base instead of the current frankenstein system of developers making half assed drivers that straddle the old and new API because they can't be bothered doing it correctly? When are we going to see you put pressure on the likes of HP so that they don't force you to install 300MB of crapware when all you really want is the 2.5MB driver and that is it - which is one reason why I am not going to Windows because of all the crapware that is bundled with drivers - give me the driver and GTFO!

There are many more issues I could possibly list but it would be pointless because every release of Windows has been one big disappointment after another. The only thing more disappointing than a Windows release is Adobe's software support policy which cuts off support in under 2 years.

Signed,

Person who runs a Mac but open to the idea of a Wintel computer.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Either way they can sell a copy of windows, each machine including the macs can run windows

All macs (new ones) can run Windows but most don't

Unlike the poor Linux/BSD users who have almost no where to buy a computer that doesn't charge you for the Windows license :no:

FACT NOT ALL COMPUTER PROBLEMS ARE INFECTIONS.

You asked for statistics relationg to infections vs non infections, which you will find at a repair shop, people beinging stuff in for cleaning vs bringing stuff in for warrenty repair and service, NOT ALL RELATING TO INFECTIONS, in the amount of time it took for me to write the above i had somebody bring in a Seagate HDD that the dog knocked off the table for data recovery.

Hey guess what its a repair and its not an infection.

Had a MSI Netbook and Toshiba laptop not able to see wifi, doubtfull its an infection but possable, BUT ITS STILL A REPAIR. NOT ALL COMPUTER PROBLEMS ARE INFECTIONS

*facepalms*

So what about everyone else out there who never had any problems and never brought their machines to your shop? Oh wait that's right, obviously they don't exist and don't count. :rolleyes:

Seriously, anyone's qualified to be a computer repair person these days, and if you think being one somehow gives you any more authority regarding this topic, it doesn't. And again, if you have no idea whatsoever what useful/credible statistics are and how they're collected, let's stop wasting time, please.

All macs (new ones) can run Windows but most don't

Unlike the poor Linux/BSD users who have almost no where to buy a computer that doesn't charge you for the Windows license :no:

We like to build our own :)

We like to build our own :)

Building computer is fun but not something most people should be doing (I've seen some pretty bad "builds")

If it wasn't that my main computer (what used to be my 27" iMac) is sitting in the living room I would probably just have a hackintosh (that's what I had before but the wire mess was really ugly....yes I did do a good job hiding the wires but there's only so much you can do, compare that to my iMac where all I had was the power cord)

*facepalms*

So what about everyone else out there who never had any problems and never brought their machines to your shop? Oh wait that's right, obviously they don't exist and don't count. :rolleyes:

Seriously, anyone's qualified to be a computer repair person these days, and if you think being one somehow gives you any more authority regarding this topic, it doesn't. And again, if you have no idea whatsoever what usefuk/credible statistics are and how they're collected, let's stop wasting time, please.

Ok dude, you obviously dont feel like looking or finding stuff out, i said the means to find it, you just dont want to do it.

And you still have not defined what your warped sense of " credible " is.

And i could care less how many people can be a qualified as a comp tech, guess what, there is a person qualified to be a comp tech and those who actually sucessful as one and are.

From your post history seems like you jsut bash apple cause its apple. Get a life dude, PTFO, nothing said will even regester in your mind.

Wise advertising in the respected field, clearly does the job hence this topic being on page 10. If Mac owners think there is no "issue" with pricing then advertising like this should be easy to shrug off, and completely ineffective ;)

Wise advertising in the respected field, clearly does the job hence this topic being on page 10. If Mac owners think there is no "issue" with pricing then advertising like this should be easy to shrug off, and completely ineffective ;)

I'm sure you'd feel the same way if Microsoft did a 360 vs PS3 page right?

Right? :whistle:

It doesn't really do a good job, you could start a thread with 'mac vs pc' nothing more and it would still have 100s of replies..

I don't care about the website, it doesn't make me want to buy a PC...

Ok dude, you obviously dont feel like looking or finding stuff out, i said the means to find it, you just dont want to do it.

And you still have not defined what your warped sense of " credible " is.

So, according to you, "credible" means asking the local computer repair shop.

Come on. Windows has ~90% market share around the world, and I'm supposed to ask the local computer repair shop - which I've already explained to you is not a good place to ask for such info anyway - for "credible" statistics? Gimme a break. I know they set the bar pretty low for computer repair persons these days, but you can't really be THAT dumb. You're just doing this for the lulz... right?

It doesn't really do a good job, you could start a thread with 'mac vs pc' nothing more and it would still have 100s of replies..

I don't care about the website, it doesn't make me want to buy a PC...

Advertising like this isn't getting anyone to buy anything who already has a set mind/allegiances. People make decisions based on what they need or can afford, if there is anyone in limbo with costs it may help. It is mostly however just part of the new breed of advertising really set on riling up troops for each camp and making them feel justified with their current/future purchase. Which is very affective nowadays, as it's all about justifying what you purchased and getting friends/family to follow. Consumer word of mouth is hugely important given the fact we have an incredible amount of ways to voice our opinion nowadays (internet/blogs/mobiles/facebook/etc).

I'm sure you'd feel the same way if Microsoft did a 360 vs PS3 page right?

Right? :whistle:

2/10.

Advertising like this isn't getting anyone to buy anything who already has a set mind/allegiances. People make decisions based on what they need or can afford, if there is anyone in limbo with costs it may help. It is mostly however just part of the new breed of advertising really set on riling up troops for each camp and making them feel justified with their current/future purchase. Which is very affective nowadays, as it's all about justifying what you purchased and getting friends/family to follow. Consumer word of mouth is hugely important given the fact we have an incredible amount of ways to voice our opinion nowadays (internet/blogs/mobiles/facebook/etc).

Which is weird, isn't it? It's like everyone is insecure about their choice of electronics. I don't feel the need to justify what I buy to everyone I know--I like it, I wanted it, it was in my price range, so I bought it. I don't give half a monkey's nut whether my friends or family think I'm cooler or not for it.

Which is weird, isn't it? It's like everyone is insecure about their choice of electronics. I don't feel the need to justify what I buy to everyone I know--I like it, I wanted it, it was in my price range, so I bought it. I don't give half a monkey's nut whether my friends or family think I'm cooler or not for it.

It's not about insecurity it's just how humans like to prove their decision power is superior. People argue about anything. The leader of my political party is better than yours. My Football team can beat your football team. My car is faster than your car. And computers is no difference. Even kids do this about their bikes. I've even seen kids fight about which one of them is richer based on the brand names on the clothes they are wearing.

It's just .. competition. And in this thread if you look at just my replies you'd probably think I'm a Mac user right? And yet I have a Windows Server in my house that cost thousands of pounds which I built myself. And I also have a Desktop PC running Windows 7 which I also built. I even have two Dell (yes Dell not Apple) 30" monitors on my PC. Which is fully water cooled with the latest hardware money can buy.

The only reason I even posted in this thread is because although I own lots of Microsoft products and am invested in their ecosystem I can see how stupid this website Microsoft has setup is considering how they push everything towards price. If we compared everything based on price we'd be using pencils and matches instead of pens and lighters and the Kindle would never have existed because Books are cheaper. There is more to a computer than its price tag just like there is more to a computer than its CPU or a GPU you need to look at the package as a whole.

Some things this website lacks is what display panels are being used? Are they TN panels or IPS panels are they LCD or CCFL lighting? - And what about external ports. USB 2.0 / 3.0 do they have Firewire or Thunderbolt what about expandability? Can the RAM and HD be upgraded what about Slot cards, media card readers? It's stuff like this that the site looks over because it's only interested in the price. And I suppose for any consumers that will read that site and actually gain knowledge from it Microsoft has succeeded in channelling their thoughts on to the very finite list of features where they can compare a PC to a Mac.