Run programs in a sandbox to prevent malware from making permanent changes to your PC.
Sandboxie allows you to run your browser, or any other program, so that all changes that result from the usage are kept in a sandbox environment, which can then be deleted later.
Sandboxie is a sandbox-based isolation software for 32- and 64-bit Windows NT-based operating systems. It is being developed by David Xanatos since it became open source, before that it was developed by Sophos (which acquired it from Invincea, which acquired it earlier from the original author Ronen Tzur). It creates a sandbox-like isolated operating environment in which applications can be run or installed without permanently modifying the local or mapped drive. An isolated virtual environment allows controlled testing of untrusted programs and web surfing.
Sandboxie is available in two flavors Plus and Classic. Both have the same core components, this means they have the same level of security and compatibility. What's different is the user interface the Plus build has a modern Qt based UI which supports all new features that have been added since the project went open source. The Classic build has the old no longer developed MFC based UI, hence it lacks support for modern features, these features can however still be used when manually configured in the Sandboxie.ini.
Sandboxie Plus / Classic changelog:
- added forced process indicator to process status column #1174
- added "SbieTrace=y" option to trace the interaction between Sandboxie processes and the Sandboxie core components
- when initializing an empty sandbox, MSI debug keys are set to generate the debug output of MSI installer service
- added "DisableComProxy=y" allowing to disable COM proxying through the service
- added "ProcessLimit=..." that allows to limit the max count of processes in a sandbox #1230
- added missing IPC logging
- reworked SbieSvc ini server to allow settings caching and greatly improve performance
- -- Now comments in the Sandboxie.ini are being preserved as well as the order of all entries
- enabled configuration section list replacement with a hash map to improve configuration performance
- improved progress and status messages for the Plus installer (by mpheath) #1168
- reworked RpcSs start mechanics, sandboxed RpcSs and DcomLaunch can now be run as system, use "RunRpcssAsSystem=y"
- -- note: this is generally not recommended for security reasons but may be needed for compatibility in some scenarios
- reworked WTSQueryUserToken handling to work properly in all scenarios
- reworked configuration value list to use a hash table for better performance
- fixed Plus upgrade install in Windows 7 (by mpheath) #1194
- fixed custom autoexec commands being executed on each box start instead of only on the initialization
- fixed a design issue limiting the maximal amount of processes in one box to 511
- fixed handle leaks in the lingering process monitor mechanism
- fixed issue with opening device paths like "\??\FltMgr"
- fixed build issue with an explicit FileDigestAlgorithm option for driver sign (by isaak654) #1210
- fixed issue with resource access log sometimes getting corrupted
- fixed issue with Microsoft Office Click-to-Run #428 #882
- removed support for Microsoft EMET (Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit), as it was EOL in 2018
- removed support for Messenger Plus! Live, as MSN Messenger is EOL since 2013
- disabled Turkish language on Plus UI for inactivity (by isaak654) #1215
Download: Sandboxie Plus 0.9.7d (64-bit) | Sandboxie Plus 0.9.7d (32-bit) ~15.0 MB (Open Source)
Download: Sandboxie 5.52.4 Classic (64-bit) | Sandboxie 5.52.4 Classic (32-bit) ~2.0 MB
View: Sandboxie Website | Sandboxie Plus Home Page | GitHub
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware