F1 World Championship 2011 Thread

110 members have voted

1. 1. Which team will win the Constructor's Championship?

• Red Bull Renault
    • McLaren Mercedes
    • Ferrari
    • Mercedes GP
    • Lotus Renault GP
    • Williams Cosworth
    • Force India Mercedes
    • Sauber Ferrari
    • Scuderia Toro Rosso Ferrari
    • Team Lotus Renault
    • Hispania Racing Team Cosworth
    • Marussia Virgin Racing Cosworth
  2. 2. Which driver will win the World Driver's Championship?

• Sebastian Vettel
    • Mark Webber
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Jenson Button
    • Fernando Alonso
    • Felipe Massa
    • Michael Schumacher
    • Nico Rosberg
    • Nick Heidfeld
    • Vitali Petrov
    • Rubens Barichello
    • Pastor Madonaldo
    • Adrian Sutil
    • Paul di Resta
    • Kamui Kobayashi
    • Sergio Perez
    • Sebastian Buemi
    • Jaime Algersuari
    • Other (specify below)

ha! well done Circuit of the Americas don't give Bernie any more money! tho I hate to see a race not be on the calendar, some1 needs to stop giving Bernie all this money.

Martin Brundle leaves BBC for Sky Sports' Formula 1 coverage from 2012

Martin Brundle has confirmed that he will leave the BBC to become part of the Sky Sports Formula 1 broadcast line-up from 2012.

The former F1 racer and Le Mans winner made the announcement in his Sunday Times newspaper column, saying that the fact that Sky will carry the whole season live - while the BBC will only show 10 races live and the rest in delayed highlights programmes - was key in his decision.

"In 2012 I will be working with Sky Sports F1 television," Brundle wrote. "The fact that their newly-announced and dedicated F1 channel will have no in-race advertising was a key factor, but most importantly I need to commentate on every race live. Recorded and delayed sports television doesn't give me the adrenalin fix I crave.

"There will also be more airtime for the technical features I so enjoy crafting. It's been a privilege to be part of the BBC team, but now I have a new motivation and challenge."

Brundle moved into television commentary after his F1 career ended in 1997, initially with ITV before switching across to the BBC when it reclaimed the rights from 2009. This season he became lead commentator for the first time.

He also announced earlier this week that he would making a racing return in next year's Le Mans 24 Hours, sharing an LMP2 class Greaves Zytek-Nissan with son Alex.

Source: Autosport

man button is such a softie! is he driving for his team or for team santanderlonso? :(

• 2 weeks later...

More details about next years F1 commentating team.

The line-up of commentators, presenters and reporters for Sky Sports F1? HD - which starts in March 2012 - have a wealth of experience in Formula 1? and live sports broadcasting.

With their depth of knowledge and insight, they will guide viewers through the season on the new dedicated F1? channel. With every race, practice session and qualifying session live and a wealth of F1? programming, the team will help to provide the ultimate F1? experience.

The line-up of talent on Sky Sports F1? HD will be:

Commentators

Martin Brundle has proved himself as a driver and broadcaster over four decades, racing with eight F1? teams and winning awards. He will be on-air every day of each Grand Prix?, dividing his time between paddock, pit-lane and commentary box. David Croft, BBC Radio?s F1? commentator for the last six seasons, will join him for qualifying and races. For practice sessions for the majority of the season, Croft will be joined by former F1? driver Anthony Davidson.

Presenters

Simon Lazenby, a live Sky Sports presenter for twelve years, will host each Grand Prix weekend. Georgie Thompson, host of a range of live sports events and Sky Sports News, will present a new weekly F1? magazine show. And broadcasting veteran Steve Rider will stage a series of big interviews with racing legends of the past and present.

Reporters

Ted Kravitz, the F1? reporter for 10 years with ITV then BBC, will bring news, interviews and insight from the pit lane and paddock. Ted, who will also co-present the magazine show, will be joined by Natalie Pinkham, formerly BBC Radio?s F1? reporter. Together, they will gather insights from the most technologically advanced sport in the world.

Sky Sports Executive Producer for Formula 1?, Martin Turner, told today@sky: ?We want to take viewers deep inside Formula 1? and these are the perfect guides. Together they have the technical knowledge, F1? experience and broadcasting pedigree to bring viewers the best insight into the sport.?

?In Martin Brundle we have the outstanding F1? broadcaster ? on the track and in broadcasting, he?s proved it time and again. Working alongside him, David Croft is a passionate, experienced commentator and Anthony Davidson can bring great technical knowledge to live practice sessions.?

?Ted Kravitz has huge knowledge of the pit-lane and paddock and he and Natalie Pinkham will get the information and access our viewers need. And guiding us through the coverage we have the experience of Simon Lazenby and Georgie Thompson. Each has hosted major sports events, from the British Lions to the Ryder Cup ? they have trust and respect.?

Live coverage

Sky Sports F1? HD will be the only place to enjoy live coverage of the whole Grand Prix ? season, including all practice and qualifying sessions and every race in the calendar. It will take Sky customers closer than ever, with more action, analysis and information - on their TV, online and mobile devices.

Info about Sky F1 coverage:

You don't have to have a Sky Sports package to view the races for 2012 if you pay for the HD pack! But obviously if you have Sky Sports, you get the F1 channel too.

How can I receive the new channel?

It is available to all Sky customers who are either subscribed to Sky Sports 1&2 or our HD service.

Wait a minute. I'm already subscribed to Sky Sports. Will I be receiving the F1 channel for no extra charge then?

Yes.

Wait a minute for me too. I already subscribe to the HD pack. So F1 will be added to my package at no extra cost as well?

Correct.

I'm not currently a Sky subscriber. How can I join to receive the F1 channel?

By subscribing either to our Sky Sports package or to our HD service.

http://www.planetf1....stions-answered

Some news about 2012 rule changes:

Four-hour time limit among rules changes for 2012

The FIA will impose a maximum time limit of four hours on Grands Prix as of 2012.

It comes after this year?s Canadian Grand Prix took four hours and four minutes to complete due to heavy rain causing a lengthy suspension. The existing two-hour time limit on races that are not suspended will remain.

The FIA has also confirmed new rules on driving standards. When defending a position, drivers will not be allowed to move back onto the racing line after moving off-line. This was a cause for debate following the exchange between Michael Schumacher and Lewis Hamilton during the Italian Grand Prix this year.

Drivers have also been told they can no longer leave the track without a justifiable reason. Some drivers have been cutting chicanes during practice and qualifying sessions to save time and/or fuel ? such as Sebastian Vettel did in Korea and Schumacher in Abu Dhabi.

Drivers will be allowed to use all sets of tyres that are allocated to them on the first day of practice if they choose.

During a race suspension, cars which are in the pits when a race is suspended will be allowed to re-join the cars on the grid in the position they were in.

Teams will also be required to have their cars pass all FIA crash tests before they participate in pre-season testing.

The FIA also announced the following changes to the technical rules:

?All engine standard ECU set up and control parameters, which were formerly contained only within a technical directive, are now contained within the relevant parts of the technical regulations.

?The exhaust tailpipes are now strictly regulated in order to ensure that the aerodynamic effect exhaust gases have on the car is kept to an absolute minimum.

?Better marking of in-car emergency switches operated by marshals are now stipulated.

?The side impact structures will now have to be subjected to a further (upward) push-off test.?

Source: F1Fanatic.co.uk

Lapped cars allowed to pass safety car again in 2012

The FIA has brought back the rule allowing lapped cars to pass the safety car.

The rules was last used in F1 in 2009. It proved problematic because of the large amount of time lapped cars needed to pass the safety car and re-join the train, as most F1 tracks are over five kilometres long.

As a result the rule was enforced inconsistently as the race director occasionally chose not to allow unlapped cars to pass the safety car, in order to prevent the safety car being kept out for too long.

At Suzuka in 2009, the restart was given with four laps to go while leader Sebastian Vettel had the lapped Romain Grosjean behind him.

However allowing lapped cars to pass the safety car will mean more cars will be in their running order at restarts.

Source: F1Fanatic.co.uk

BBC coverage is dead without Brundle and Kravitz on race days or Crofty and Davidson on practice sessions. They are the people that made the coverage brilliant last year. Who are the Beeb going to have now? They still have Jake, Eddie and DC as pundits and DC will probably be in commentary again, but who will be the colour commentator? Legard?!? And who's going to do practice sessions? Pit lane reporting? Grid walks (EJ and DC did a few but they weren't very good)? All the good stuff has gone over to Sky. Thankfully we have the HD pack so I'll be able to watch the Sky coverage.

EDIT:

a1pmd.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Damon Hill joins

Sky Sports F1? HD

Damon Hill has joined us to provide expert analysis on Sky Sports F1? HD throughout the season, including the first Grand Prix ? 2012 Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix? from Melbourne in March.

He will join the line-up of talent unveiled last month and will appear throughout coverage of practice and qualifying sessions as well as races. Sky Sports F1? HD will be the only place viewers can enjoy live coverage of the whole Grand Prix? season, including all practice and qualifying sessions and every race in the calendar.

Speaking about his new role, Damon said: ?The plans Sky Sports have for Formula 1? are very impressive particularly the dedicated Formula 1? channel and I couldn?t resist becoming involved. There are so many reasons to be excited about the new season and I can?t wait to get started.?

Between 1992 and 1999, Damon raced in 122 Grand Prix? for some of the biggest names in the sport, including Williams and Jordan. He finished on the podium 42 times and claimed 22 victories, including the 1994 British Grand Prix at Silverstone. He is best remembered for his heroics in 1996 when he won eight races for Williams and subsequently the FIA Formula One? World Drivers? Championship, finishing 19 points ahead of Canadian team mate Jacques Villeneuve.

Sky Sports Executive Producer for Formula 1?, Martin Turner, told today@sky: ?Damon Hill is a British motor racing legend and has incredible Formula 1TM knowledge and insight. He will provide our viewers with not just a driver?s eye view, but also that of a world champion. There aren?t many around and I?m delighted we?ll have Damon with us during the season.?

Damon will appear on the channel?s coverage of the following Grand Prix? weekends: Australia, Bahrain, Monaco, Britain, Germany, Hungary, Belgium, India, USA and Brazil.

Who else is in the team & how can I watch F1?

Sky Sports unveiled its line-up of talent for the new channel last month. Commentary will be provided by Martin Brundle and David Croft with expert analysis from Anthony Davidson. Ted Kravitz and Natalie Pinkham are the pit lane reporters while coverage is presented by Simon Lazenby. Georgie Thompson will also host a brand new Formula 1? magazine show each Friday evening during the season.

Sky Sports F1? HD will take viewers closer to Formula 1? than ever before, with more action, analysis and information - on their TV, online and mobile devices.

The dedicated channel will be provided at no extra charge to all Sky TV customers who take both Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 or who take Sky?s HD pack of channels. It will be found at 408 on Sky?s on-screen guide, after a scheduled move of the Sky Sports channels. Sky Sports viewers without the Sky+ HD pack will receive a standard definition version.