Mac OS X Lion Developer Preview 4 changes

Fullscreen is designed for individual windows (notice that the fullscreen buttons are on windows, not menu bars/the Dock), so it doesn't really make sense to make a single window fullscreen then suddenly have more than one screen's worth of content

That said, the APIs allow for multiple "helper" windows to fullscreen windows, which I guess could be put on the other display(s) when a window is fullscreen.

Once a window is in full-screen mode the button does in fact move to the Menu Bar. Beyond that it's my opinion that in a dual-monitor setup you should be able to move a full-screen window to one screen while having access to the desktop on a second. What's the point really in having two 27-inch Cinema Displays next to each other one filled with linen and maybe one or two small panels? Apple really executed this idea poorly when it comes to this.

How does Lion treat Spaces and Multiple Displays. I want to hook an additional display up to my MacBook Pro but want Static Content on it. I don't want it changing whenever I flip spaces or Full Screen Apps.

I do not like the way the fullscreen applications are behaving in dual monitors. I hook my MacBook Pro to a external to watch videos via VLC player. When on desktop, I can drag the video window over to the second display and go fullscreen. That's normal, and works as you'd expect (just like Snow Leopard).

The problem occurs when you have an application fullscreen, IE, safari. I always have safari in fullscreen mode on my MBP. When watching a video in fullscreen via VLC player and I want to browse the web on my laptop at the same time in fullscreen mode, its a no go. When I switch to fullscreen, the animation happens also on my second monitor and moves BOTH desktops to the left and safari appears on my laptop screen and a BLANK space appears on my second monitor. When flipping back to my desktop, my laptop is normal (dock etc) and my second monitor is displaying the second desktop which has VLC open fullscreen.

VLC is not the problem, its the way fullscreen spaces were designed for multiple displays. I don't like it, I want the displays to be on their own when switching fullscreen apps to desktop and to other fullscreen apps.

Once a window is in full-screen mode the button does in fact move to the Menu Bar. Beyond that it's my opinion that in a dual-monitor setup you should be able to move a full-screen window to one screen while having access to the desktop on a second. What's the point really in having two 27-inch Cinema Displays next to each other one filled with linen and maybe one or two small panels? Apple really executed this idea poorly when it comes to this.

There should be a menu bar on each monitor when using a multi-monitor setup :/

Checking for new software takes for ever... :/

Edit: It's downloading now, yay!

Edit 2: Remaining download time went from 2 minutes to 2 hours?! :s

Checking for new software takes for ever... :/

Took a minute for me too. I suppose everybody's excited and checking at the moment. The new login screen is beautiful, but that's as much as I can tell so far. Oh, and the thumbnails on my desktop are restored.

EDIT: Graphics memory usage is reduced by approx. two thirds. DP4 used more than half on cold boot, after the update it uses around 5%. I hope it lasts, it was really concerning!

EDIT2: Memory improvements seem persistent. The system works much better than before the update. Also, Mail.app has received an update ? it asked me to update the database.

The background here has been updated to reflect Lions new Default Desktop:

ScreenShot2011-06-15at71346PM.png

The background on the little desktop icon in the Finder 'Go' menu, and the one in Desktop & Screensaver in System Preferences are still Leopard Aurora though...

So, I take it an update to DP4 has been released? Wonder if it matches the one Apple showed off at WWDC.

Getting it now, the download is rather slow for me, too. Strange, I guess the servers are being hammered.

God, why are the window opening animations still this inconsistent?! Can't stand it... :argh:

When DP2 was released I already expressed my fears that it would't be fixed. Same goes for Launchpad. I hate being right sometimes... :no:

I have the most odd issue. Ever.

When I click the mouse, to rotate an object or drag a slider for example, the cursor will freeze for a couple of seconds. I have no idea what's causing it, especially since I don't have any third party drivers running apart from the Wacom. It's definitely unrelated to sleep/wake-up, it's the same from a cold boot. I can recall having had this problem with Snow Leopard too once, to which my remedy was a re-install?

Oh well, possibly related to Lion, possibly not!

I just started getting this problem today in WoW on Lion. My mouse will just stop for a few seconds. Bluetooth or USB mice and no Wacom tablet.

I just started getting this problem today in WoW on Lion. My mouse will just stop for a few seconds. Bluetooth or USB mice and no Wacom tablet.

I started noticing a weird lag on my Magic Trackpad. When moving a window the cursor would move slower than my fingers but suddenly accelerate to normal speed... Very odd. Mac OS X still feels unfinished and buggy. No idea how they'll be able to fix all this in less than 6 weeks...

.Neo, I have to agree with something you mentioned earlier about the Magic Trackpad... I'm really annoyed they took away the one-finger dragging option. I use it all the time on my MacBook and in Snow Leopard, but now I'm forced to do a three-finger drag in Lion. It's something I can probably get used to, but I see no good reason for Apple to remove the one-finger drag option.

is anyone else unable to load the mobileme preference plane?

Didn't load for me until I installed the iCloud beta, at which point I was able to log back into MobileMe, completely sign out and set up iCloud.

Is this broken for anyone else?

post-119000-0-54546600-1308206517.png

I'm scrolling with two fingers like it says and it doesn't do anything. I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong or if it's just broken in DP4.

Is this broken for anyone else?

post-119000-0-54546600-1308206517.png

I'm scrolling with two fingers like it says and it doesn't do anything. I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong or if it's just broken in DP4.

what are you trying to use that gesture on, that gesture only works on applications that support the API, i think

I was trying to use it to go back/forward, like in Safari. The problem is if I use three-finger swiping, I can't use three-finger dragging. This is why I don't get why Lion won't let the Magic Trackpad do the one-finger dragging anymore, it's very useful on the MacBook and in Snow Leopard.