Mac OS X Lion Developer Preview 4 changes

Is this broken for anyone else?

post-119000-0-54546600-1308206517.png

I'm scrolling with two fingers like it says and it doesn't do anything. I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong or if it's just broken in DP4.

Broken for me too. :)

The login screen background has changed and all of the app folders i had created on LaunchPad have all gone. The apps are still there.

Seems a lot less crashy than previous builds (one would hope)

MobileMe prefpane is still nowhere to be found, but aside from that it's a lot more flushed out that I've seen recently.

.Neo, I have to agree with something you mentioned earlier about the Magic Trackpad... I'm really annoyed they took away the one-finger dragging option. I use it all the time on my MacBook and in Snow Leopard, but now I'm forced to do a three-finger drag in Lion. It's something I can probably get used to, but I see no good reason for Apple to remove the one-finger drag option.

Annoying as hell.

At this point I'm honestly wondering how Apple is going to pull everything together in 6 weeks. :/

A little something I found to make the designers and grid-lovers around here smile (I mean with all those annoyances there has to be something neat, right?):

tumblr_lmtv7t2pkX1qbpnjzo1_500.jpg

via

A little something I found to make the designers and grid-lovers around here smile (I mean with all those annoyances there has to be something neat, right?):

tumblr_lmtv7t2pkX1qbpnjzo1_500.jpg

via

I knew there was a reason I liked Apple's cloud logo. :p

This is why I don't get why Lion won't let the Magic Trackpad do the one-finger dragging anymore, it's very useful on the MacBook and in Snow Leopard.

One finger dragging works fine for me in Lion if Tap to click is enabled.

At this point I'm honestly wondering how Apple is going to pull everything together in 6 weeks. :/

Psh, Lion is heaven compared to how 10.5 was this close to release! You're all here complaining about window animations and gesture bugs when 10.5 had many core problems. It'll be fine!

Edit: Plus, I hope you don't think the newest build we have is the newest one they have.

One finger dragging works fine for me in Lion if Tap to click is enabled.

You can't drag files around in Mac OS X Lion DP4 simply by double tabbing and then dragging your finger around. Nothing happens. At least not for me, Elliott and Nidoking. The only way I can get my Trackpad to drag is by physically clicking the thing. Apple got rid of these two options:

post-128385-0-94876700-1308233273.png

You can't drag files around in Mac OS X Lion DP4 simply by double tabbing and then dragging your finger around. Nothing happens. At least not for me, Elliott and Nidoking. The only way I can get my Trackpad to drag is by physically clicking the thing. Apple got rid of these two options:

Like I said - works fine for me, and I know which options you're talking about - no need to post a screenshot with arrows pointing everywhere, I'm not an idiot. However, gestures in general seem a bit screwy in this build - I can't four-finger swipe up to get to Mission Control and have to switch it to three fingers to work. Four-finger swipe in other directions works fine.

Like I said - works fine for me, and I know which options you're talking about - no need to post a screenshot with arrows pointing everywhere, I'm not an idiot.

LOL you're not? Honest mistake... :whistle: FYI, I just posted the screen shot just to be sure we're (and others) talking about the same thing. No need to take offense this quickly...

I'll check what happens if I disable three finger dragging in the latest update.

FWIW, my com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.trackpad defaults domain has "Dragging" set to true. No idea how that correlates to the new UI, though.

For the record, whenever I've set the two tap dragging functionality in Snow Leopard (and Leopard, and Tiger) it introduces a very noticeable delay when you want to simply single tap on something. This is what forces me to disable the functionality, so when I saw that they are going to support three finger dragging, I got all giddy because I'm assuming that it will reduce the need to introduce a lag to determine if the user wants to just tap or drag.

Did you do an upgrade from Snow Leopard instead of a clean install? That would explain it. The option is not accessible through System Preferences. At least it's something we can still manually add it or import the pref file from Snow Leopard.

For the record, whenever I've set the two tap dragging functionality in Snow Leopard (and Leopard, and Tiger) it introduces a very noticeable delay when you want to simply single tap on something. This is what forces me to disable the functionality, so when I saw that they are going to support three finger dragging, I got all giddy because I'm assuming that it will reduce the need to introduce a lag to determine if the user wants to just tap or drag.

Haven't noticed it.

Haven't noticed it.

It's quite easy to test for... I have never tried it on a Magic Trackpad but on both my old MacBook and my current MacBook Pro, there is a lag.

On SL, enable dragging and then try to single tap something like an icon on the desktop. Then, disable dragging and click the icon again. If you're careful you'll notice that it was almost instantaneous compared to when dragging was enabled.

Maybe the lag is small enough for most people to not notice, but it drives me mad because I've gotten so used to my trackpad being so fast it's like an extension of me. Turning dragging on makes it feel like just another trackpad.

Is there a way to remove icons from the Launchpad? I have a mess of icons with Adobe CS5 (repeated, things I don't use, etc). I tried pressing CTRL+Option+Cmd but nothing happens.

Is there a way to remove icons from the Launchpad? I have a mess of icons with Adobe CS5 (repeated, things I don't use, etc). I tried pressing CTRL+Option+Cmd but nothing happens.

It's unimaginable but no.

I just started getting this problem today in WoW on Lion. My mouse will just stop for a few seconds. Bluetooth or USB mice and no Wacom tablet.

Welcome to hell. :( I've found no remedy yet. I can't be arsed to reboot just to play a game. :p

It's unimaginable but no.

Hmmm... lol... I guess that would confuse people... are you deleting the apps or just hiding them? It needs a lot of work and right now it's just a mess :(

Hmmm... lol... I guess that would confuse people... are you deleting the apps or just hiding them? It needs a lot of work and right now it's just a mess :(

Deleting. And since it doesn't know how to safely remove apps that haven't come from the App Store, it's App Store only.

Yes - I know exactly what you mean. I hadn't thought of using three-finger dragging as a replacement - good call! :)

Yet it does't confuse people you can remove icons from the Dock, Finder sidebar, System Preferences, Favorites/bookmarks bar, toolbars etc. People came up with this excuse before, but it really doesn't make much sense...

Welcome to hell. :( I've found no remedy yet. I can't be arsed to reboot just to play a game. :p

I was so annoyed I reverted to Snow Leopard. :laugh: I hope Blizzard or Apple finds a fix for it.