OS X Lion Golden Master seeded to developers

Yeah they are a little hard to see. :/

Everything is at some point, especially with a Dock at that size. They could have made the badges a tad bigger though.

Overall I think it's a shame that Apple won't make the Dock more dynamic. There is so much info they could put in there similar to what the Windows 7 taskbar does when downloading or copying files.

999748515.png

I think that badge on Mail is hard to read whereas it could easily be identified at the same dock size on SL. :pinch:

Right, that sure is a breeze to read at a glance... Like I said everything becomes unreadable at some point. When keeping the Dock at this size it becomes more of a matter that you can identify that there are unread messages, rather than the amount of unread messages. To see the latter is why Apple added magnification to the Dock...

post-128385-0-72144100-1309703437.png

• Like 2

Safari 5.1 is a bit of a RAM hog, isn't it?

post-1302-0-31034300-1309706075.png

That's with 8 open tabs, after about 4 hours of having it open.

Huh? How did you manage to regroup all the processes of Safari together in a tree like this ?

Is this Activity Monitor?

Yes, that's Activity Monitor. In the drop down on the top right select 'All Processes, Hierarchically'.

Overall I think it's a shame that Apple won't make the Dock more dynamic. There is so much info they could put in there similar to what the Windows 7 taskbar does when downloading or copying files.

The problem, I think, is that the API allows for too much dynamic...ness. The API is "Here's your Dock tile, go crazy" - you can literally draw anything you like in there, but there's also no "I'm doing something, here's the progress percentage" API, so if you want to show progress, you need to do all the drawing yourself.

Edit: For example, Photoshop draws (or used to, I haven't used it since CS3 or so) a progress bar in its Dock tile. Adium makes the little duck's wings flap and displays the usernames of incoming messages, etc.

• Like 3

Seriously annoyed wit autocorrect now. Please tell me how to disable global autocorrect :/

I also miss being able to press a key down for repeated chars and not have silly alternate char menus pop up

Lion feels kinda choppy and slow compared to snow leopard for me. Maybe it is because it is still indexing. Not sure how I like the new gestures :(

Lion feels kinda choppy and slow compared to snow leopard for me. Maybe it is because it is still indexing. Not sure how I like the new gestures :(

Definitely because it's still indexing. Once it's done with that, it should be really snappy.

The problem, I think, is that the API allows for too much dynamic...ness. The API is "Here's your Dock tile, go crazy" - you can literally draw anything you like in there, but there's also no "I'm doing something, here's the progress percentage" API, so if you want to show progress, you need to do all the drawing yourself.

Edit: For example, Photoshop draws (or used to, I haven't used it since CS3 or so) a progress bar in its Dock tile. Adium makes the little duck's wings flap and displays the usernames of incoming messages, etc.

That's why Apple needs to add some control and consistency to it. Instead of having random Aqua progress bars that look sort of bad, they should use the App Store style. It works perfectly fine there, so I see no reason why it can't work for other applications like Safari or the Finder as well.

Seriously annoyed wit autocorrect now. Please tell me how to disable global autocorrect :/

Right click a text field > Spelling and Grammar.

Right click a text field > Spelling and Grammar.

That's app specific, is there no option to just turn it off globally? And same with the repeat keystrokes, i want that re-enabled.

Safari 5.1 is a bit of a RAM hog, isn't it?

Safari takes all the memory it can get, once other processes start requesting it resources will automatically be reallocated by Mac OS X. What's the point in having huge amounts of memory if most of it sits idle 95% of the time?

That's app specific, is there no option to just turn it off globally? And same with the repeat keystrokes, i want that re-enabled.

Really? I was under the impression that those changes were applied system-wide. :/

Safari takes all the memory it can get, once other processes start requesting it resources will automatically be reallocated by Mac OS X. What's the point in having huge amounts of memory if most of it sits idle 95% of the time?

Really? I was under the impression that those changes were applied system-wide. :/

No, I had to repeat it in everything. Safari, Mail, Twitter for Mac, etc

No, I had to repeat it in everything. Safari, Mail, Twitter for Mac, etc

That's annoying. I can't boot into Mac OS X Lion right now to take a look myself (my iMac is rendering video files) but aren't there any new preferences you can set in System Preferences > Language & Text?

Edit Except for messing around with system files there's apparently no way to control this system-wide. It's on a per-application basis only. :/

I know how Safari allocates RAM, and have no problem with it being used. It just threw me off temporarily to see just how much RAM 5.1 uses - significantly more than Safari 5.0.

I'll still stick to using it for now. Safari in Lion is wicked fast, and the UI is better than what other browsers on OS X have to offer.

That's why Apple needs to add some control and consistency to it. Instead of having random Aqua progress bars that look sort of bad, they should use the App Store style. It works perfectly fine there, so I see no reason why it can't work for other applications like Safari or the Finder as well.

Yes, agreed. Unfortunately, that particular progress bar now means "Installing this App", and I doubt that style will ever become a public API because Joe Blow will think "Why is my app suddenly reinstalling?" when it pops up.

I know how Safari allocates RAM, and have no problem with it being used. It just threw me off temporarily to see just how much RAM 5.1 uses - significantly more than Safari 5.0.

I don't see the issue if it's memory that otherwise wouldn't be utilized by the system.

Yes, agreed. Unfortunately, that particular progress bar now means "Installing this App", and I doubt that style will ever become a public API because Joe Blow will think "Why is my app suddenly reinstalling?" when it pops up.

Change the color. Beyond that, throughout the system the same progress bars are used for different things happening.

i don't like that the full screen apps take over both monitors... that's pretty stupid. I would like to have safari in full screen mode on one monitor and my VLC fullscreen on the other, but I can't do that.

• Like 3

I also miss being able to press a key down for repeated chars and not have silly alternate char menus pop up

Its in text and language in System preferences.

i don't like that the full screen apps take over both monitors... that's pretty stupid. I would like to have safari in full screen mode on one monitor and my VLC fullscreen on the other, but I can't do that.

Yeah multi-monitor support has been poorly executed.

i like the new aqua and unified look apple is going for. too bad apple doesn't like going for the same look with iTunes, ical and address book... ical and address book look like kids apps.