OS X Lion Golden Master seeded to developers

Actually, I'm glad they did. Way too much possibility for a luddite to mess things up when the Library folders were visible. It's also pretty easy to switch it back (in Terminal: chflags nohidden ~/Library).

lol yeah that's true. and thanks for that command, forgot about that one. was gonna do defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

I wish I could tell you. I seem to remember there was an ability to turn that feature off, but I haven't used Parallels in a long time.Nope. It scours your system for .app files. For instance, on my computer it's showing Steam shortcuts from ~/Applications, developer tools from /Developer, and applications in /Applications.

It should only show apps in the main Applications folder and the Developer folder to keep things neat and tidy. I think you have to turn off the following option to not show Windows app shortcuts from Parallels in Launchpad. Worked for me anyway. :shiftyninja:

332663343.png

^ is that from parallels?

Yup, sorry from within Parallels. The settings for the selected VM not the general Parallels preferences.

Here's a KB article on completely removing Parallels. Maybe you'll find the storage location in one of these places: http://kb.parallels.com/en/6904

tried those folders, removed via terminal and restarted my macbook (love that everything popped up the way i left it!) and still there. Going to try re-indexing my drive. See if that works.

Appreciate the help again.

also to any hyper dock users, works fine in Lion, just have to reinstall!

These gestures are going to take a little bit to get used to as well as the scrolling. I also don't like this "Upgrade" that it did, so I'm going to have to do a fresh install.

Can you go into a little more detail about what was wrong with the upgrade? I'm still unsure of if I'm going to go the upgrade route or not.

Can you go into a little more detail about what was wrong with the upgrade? I'm still unsure of if I'm going to go the upgrade route or not.

It was perfectly fine for me on my 3 computers. The first boot didn?t really work out on my iMac, but now it?s perfectly stable.

I would never waste an entire day on doing a fresh install, except if my Mac got a nasty virus that screwed up my system real good? I remember doing it back then with Windows upgrades because it was necessary, but Mac upgrades are actually pretty good.

It's always better to do a clean install. Especially given how trivial it nowadays to do backups.

I've just never trusted upgrades, it seems like there is always something that goes wrong. Not to mention a clean install will ensure you don't encounter any weird errors when trying to upgrade.

Surely Launchpad should only show apps that reside in the Applications folder.

Windows apps DO reside in your Applications folder though. Turning the preference off in Parallels did nothing for me - I had to trash the folder in my Apps folder.

There?s no way to manage batches of apps in Launchpad, that sucks. I would have liked to sort them, but one at a time like I did sort my apps in OS X? No thanks.

I find it extremely funny that some people around here try to claim that allowing the end-user to manage application aliasses in Launchpad is confusing. Customizing the Dock isn't confusing. Customizing the Finder sidebar isn't confusing. Customzing System Preferences isn't confusing. Customzing toolbar buttons isn't confusing. Customzing the Desktop isn't confuing. Customizing the Dashboard Dock isn't confusing. However, there's widespread panic when allowing the same thing in Launchpad. Gimme a break... :laugh:

The fact that I can't have any control whatsoever regarding what applications appear in Launchpad is utterly insane. Honestly, it's just plain frustrating. If there's one thing I absolutely hate about Mac OS X Lion it's Launchpad. Extremely poorly executed feature. Mac OS X ? iOS. What works for a mobile OS doens't per se works for a desktop OS.

I find it extremely funny that some people around here try to claim that allowing the end-user to manage application aliasses in Launchpad is confusing. Customizing the Dock isn't confusing. Customizing the Finder sidebar isn't confusing. Customzing System Preferences isn't confusing. Customzing toolbar buttons isn't confusing. Customzing the Desktop isn't confuing. However, there's widespread panic when allowing the same thing in Launchpad. Gimme a break... :laugh:

The fact that I can't have any control whatsoever regarding what applications appear in Launchpad is utterly insane. Honestly, it's just plain frustrating. If there's one thing I absolutely hate about Mac OS X Lion it's Launchpad. Extremely poorly executed feature. Mac OS X ? iOS. What works for a mobile OS doens't per se works for a desktop OS.

i agree with all that. It seems like all they did was copy the launcher from iOS and paste it into OSX, called it launchpad and called it a day...

also i hate that in finder now that the Drives are on the bottom of the list and that I can't move them back to the top...

I'm reading all of the posts I can surrounding users' experience with GM...and I honestly have to say I'm still on the fence about whether to upgrade on release :laugh:

Ive been using this now for a little while and its definatly put some ZIP back into my mac for sure. All in all the install took just over an hour or so.

When doing the install from the GM it did want to pull "stuff" from the interweb. Gawd knows what.

Max-OS-X-Lion-Install-Downloading-Updates.png

And after installation I did get a warning about incompatible software. It was only glimms for safari so no biggie there.

Max-OS-X-Lion-Install-Incompatble-software-warning.jpg

I didnt to a fresh install, more a typical (Had my mac for years and never re installed since I installed Snow leopard)

The backwards scrolling goes against YEARS of normal scrolling but I',m getting used to it. Still not really using launchpad yet or any other myriad of features but like I say, there is some zip behind it all now.

Ive been using this now for a little while and its definatly put some ZIP back into my mac for sure. All in all the install took just over an hour or so.

When doing the install from the GM it did want to pull "stuff" from the interweb. Gawd knows what.

i don't tink it actually does though. mine did the same thing and I did a clean install from a DVD...

Has anyone else had problems with FaceTime? I can't sign in. I keep getting the message "The server encountered an error processing registration. Please try again later". I have no problems signing into app store or iTunes.

i agree with all that. It seems like all they did was copy the launcher from iOS and paste it into OSX, called it launchpad and called it a day...

Yup.

Max-OS-X-Lion-Install-Incompatble-software-warning.jpg

I didnt to a fresh install, more a typical (Had my mac for years and never re installed since I installed Snow leopard)

The backwards scrolling goes against YEARS of normal scrolling but I',m getting used to it. Still not really using launchpad yet or any other myriad of features but like I say, there is some zip behind it all now.

Any chance of a list of this incompatible software and why it's been deemed incompatible?

Mac OS X ? iOS. What works for a mobile OS doens't per se works for a desktop OS.

Except that you can delete everything (except the stock apps) on iOS. In Mac OS X, I can delete only 3-4 applications in LaunchPad and the other 100, I can?t, because? because I didn?t buy them on the App Store ?

They could surely have added a universal uninstaller in LaunchPad, what OS X has been lacking for so many years, and taken the advantage of the mouse to manage apps in batches, a.k.a. select many apps at the same time and move them on another page.

Any chance of a list of this incompatible software and why it's been deemed incompatible?

The list starts with every PowerPC app.

?

I don?t understand why FaceTime and iChat need to be two separate apps? as much as I don?t understand why DVD Player and QuickTime need to be two separate apps ? If they wanted the leanest OS possible, they would have merged that a long time ago.

Except that you can delete everything (except the stock apps) on iOS. In Mac OS X, I can delete only 3-4 applications in LaunchPad and the other 100, I can?t, because? because I didn?t buy them on the App Store ?

I'm not referring to trashing applications from my system entirely, just hide them from Launchpad similar to how I'm able to choose which applications appear in my Dock, Dashboard etc. You can't do this is iOS.

I'm not referring to deleting applications from my system entirely, just hide them from Launchpad similar to how I'm able to select which applications appear in my Dock.

Well there?s two solutions : delete and hide. Since we can?t hide them, I brought the possibility to delete them on the table? this is the only way in iOS. It keeps the system as clean as possible, but has its lot of inconvenients. But hey, we can?t do that either.

The best you can do is create a folder called "junk" and put all your stuff in there.

The best you can do is create a folder called "junk" and put all your stuff in there.

Great solution... Imagine having to create similar folders all over Mac OS X for the exact same reason. Luckily we don't have to, except for Launchpad of course. Makes total sense... :rolleyes: Oh well, hopefully someone comes up with an editing tool.

Luckily we don't have to, except for Launchpad of course. Makes total sense... :rolleyes:

Maybe it?ll be a feature in OS X 10.8 ? :p

Oh well, hopefully someone comes up with an editing tool.

I still have faith that Steve Jobs himself will convoke his LaunchPad people for an important meeting, fire the guy in charge of coordinating the efforts deployed into it, and make everyone feel bad about ruining the reputation of the OS and the company, and tell them that they need to fix this ASAP in the upcoming minor update. :woot:

Maybe it?ll be a feature in OS X 10.8 ? :p

I still have faith that Steve Jobs himself will convoke his LaunchPad people for an important meeting, fire the guy in charge of coordinating the efforts deployed into it, and make everyone feel bad about ruining the reputation of the OS and the company, and tell them that they need to fix this ASAP in the upcoming minor update. :woot:

lulz

The Launchpad is a total disaster. Apple wanted to have features to make Lion look like iOS, so that people coming from iOS devices would feel at home. FAIL.

I wonder Apple could make the perfect OS, but they don't seem to want to. Windows is so much better, but I'm in love with the looks of Mac OS X and my Macbook Pro '11.

Apple hates perfection, because they make money from the imperfections. :devil:

They also need to add back in the ability to allow repeat keystrokes when holding a key down.

Holding a key down and getting an "alternative character' iOS style menu just isn't suited to me at all. I want to type "nnnnnnnnnnnnn" (as an example) just by holding the key down, not having to tap it repeatedly.