OS X Lion Golden Master seeded to developers

I haven't got Lion yet but i have just finished reading this thread.

Let me get this straight - i cant use repeated characters, and if i press and hold 'a' for example i get a context menu like in iOS with a list of special charecters?

This is major fail if you ask me, this is a desktop, not a PHONE!!!

That is mostly correct. In some apps you get the context menu, in others like Firefox or Terminal.app you get repeated characters.

I actually quite like the idea. Will prevent my cat from aeihgt9q3nnt0qnte?9hfgaopj?smllllllllllllma,m.x-x?q?l2p3i0ufhoaknc

I actually quite like the idea. Will prevent my cat from aeihgt9q3nnt0qnte?9hfgaopj?smllllllllllllma,m.x-x?q?l2p3i0ufhoaknc

How can this idea be liked by anyone who uses a computer for anything other than Facebook, Email or online shopping.

What ever happened to holding Shift + 7 to get & i don't want to hold T for 2 seconds to get &

Apple will re-design the keyboard next.

How can this idea be liked by anyone who uses a computer for anything other than Facebook, Email or online shopping.

What ever happened to holding Shift + 7 to get & i don't want to hold T for 2 seconds to get &

Yeah right.

Change always sucks.

I already miss doing this: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa because I do that every day at least three times.

Yeah right.

Change always sucks.

I already miss doing this: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa because I do that every day at least three times.

Change does suck, especially when you are not given the option to turn it OFF! Stuff like this shouldn't be forced on people, i can't see any benefit to them doing this what so ever.

Why try to re-invent the wheel when their is already a perfectly good wheel.

• Like 2

Erm. Getting the & by pressing Shift + 7 still works, you don't have to use the context menu... where did you get that idea?

The only thing you don't get in most apps are repeated chars. Which, like instant.human said, is a good thing?.

Me toooooooooooooooooooo!

I'm a Mac programmer by trade and I've been using Lion daily since DP1 and as my main OS since DP2. This new behaviour hasn't got in my way once - in fact, they've actually thought about the feature a little bit! The only characters I ever repeat are -, ?, ? and = for making separators in text and code files, and they still repeat just fine.

Erm. Getting the & by pressing Shift + 7 still works, you don't have to use the context menu... where did you get that idea?

The only thing you don't get in most apps are repeated chars. Which, like instant.human said, is a good thing?.

Just how i interpreted the thread. I don't have lion myself just i just presumed.

Still i don't think this is a great idea.

Still i don't think this is a great idea.

No hard feelings, mate. It's just that... you don't need to. It's an option. Another way to do stuff. The Mac is gaining many users coming from an iPad or iPhone, so why not implement things they are used to?

No hard feelings, mate. It's just that... you don't need to. It's an option. Another way to do stuff. The Mac is gaining many users coming from an iPad or iPhone, so why not implement things they are used to?

None taken, i am sure my opinion wont matter in the grand scheme of things.

I have been using a mac as my primary operating system since OSX was launched also iPhone and iPad user i just didn't think it was a great idea but i haven't used it in practice so shouldn't really comment.

I have been using a mac as my primary operating system since OSX was launched also iPhone and iPad user i just didn't think it was a great idea but i haven't used it in practice so shouldn't really comment.

Don't say that.

But there you have it! You have been using OS X before iOS. Like myself and many other people out there aswell but many people are migrating to Mac because they have an iPad or an iPhone (I don't have any numbers to back that claim up, it's merely what I have witnessed among my friends) and just like Mac now offers a way to invert scrolling to match it to iOS-style-scrolling and giving people a place for all their apps that might suck but looks like the Home Screen of your iOS-device, they also offer a familiar way to accessing special characters. Good thing, IMHO. I don't think I will use it that way either but I could imagine that it's good to have that option for some people out there.

Yeah, I agree with Lilrich, it's not a great idea. It's not an OS designed for mobile use.

Don't say that.

But there you have it! You have been using OS X before iOS. Like myself and many other people out there aswell but many people are migrating to Mac because they have an iPad or an iPhone (I don't have any numbers to back that claim up, it's merely what I have witnessed among my friends) and just like Mac now offers a way to invert scrolling to match it to iOS-style-scrolling and giving people a place for all their apps that might suck but looks like the Home Screen of your iOS-device, they also offer a familiar way to accessing special characters. Good thing, IMHO. I don't think I will use it that way either but I could imagine that it's good to have that option for some people out there.

Why not offer a way to disable the damn key repeat thing? It doesn't make sense to me to only customize a few things.

Because there is no use in it anyways. Why offer an option to turn something completely unnecessary off if you could just turn it off by default and most people won't even notice it's gone in the first place? Because for what the hell do you need to doooooooooooooooooo this?! I don't get it!

It's not an OS designed for mobile use.

Yeah, exactly. What's your point? It doesn't even try to be. It's just trying to make life easier for people switching because of iOS and keeping things more or less the same for folks that prefer the old way. Like with the long pressing of a button: You can do it. You can just aswell not. Or LaunchPad. You can use it, if you feel like home because it resembles the Home Screen. Or you could not. Or like inverted scrolling. You could use it. But you just aswell don't have to.

Also, I'd bet a pile of money that there's a way to revert to old-style key repeating using the defaults command.

Scrolling in Safari just doesn't feel "smooth". It is hard for me to get used to right now. It isn't really choppy, it is just not as fluid feeling as I think it should feel. After my indexing stopped it got a lot better. I am pretty happy with this though.

Scrolling in Safari is butter smooth here.

I understand the point of users migrating to Mac just because of iOS, really do mate and I don't need it, I'm just complaining about the "you can customize this, but not that". :laugh:

I understand the point of users migrating to Mac just because of iOS, really do mate and I don't need it, I'm just complaining about the "you can customize this, but not that". :laugh:

But why would you want that particular, annoying, unnecessary thing back? :D That's what I don't get! Why does it even matter? Customizing for the sakes of customizing or what?

But why would you want that particular, annoying, unnecessary thing back? :D That's what I don't get! Why does it even matter? Customizing for the sakes of customizing or what?

LOL :rofl:

Just think the "FFFFFUUUUUUUU" guys won't like it. :laugh:

Some people think that Dock Hover is annoying and some people like it, the ability to customize the OS in my opinion should be a priority, not doing things the way apple want it to be done.

Locking down the OS so you cant do anything without jumping in the terminal and running a string of commands is silly. (imo)

Some people think that Dock Hover is annoying and some people like it, the ability to customize the OS in my opinion should be a priority, not doing things the way apple want it to be done.

Locking down the OS so you cant do anything without jumping in the terminal and running a string of commands is silly. (imo)

But they are not locking the OS down by disabling something that is a bug actually anyways, that noone needs and that's annoying! I don't get it. So it indeed is customizing for the sakes of customizing. This is an unnecessary thing that never served a purpose, that's not even worth talking about, actually. Also, they did not lock down the functionality of the OS but by giving the holding down of a key a real actually useful purpose they even made it better.

Oh really? Windows Applications would show up in LaunchPad on a clean install? I'm not sure what kind of clean install you do, but mine doesn't contain anything other than the Lion itself. :p

I assumed if you had Parallels before the clean install, you?ll want to reinstall it after the clean install too. So yeah, LaunchPad is going to be messed up. A clean install won?t do the trick. Just delete the physical folder and you?ll be fine.

On my install of Parallels there is no Windows App folder in my Applications folder. Never has been.

Because you unticked the box where it says "Share Windows Apps with OS X". They have been in a Windows 7 folder since at least a year here.

Just read all the previous replies on this thread, seems that the general consensus is that Launchpad is a major screw up... :whistle:

Working 100% vanilla on my Hack :) . Those with Trackpads are gonna love this OS.