Playstation Vita Thread

Just been looking up release dates on Eurogamer and all I can see is Unit 13 this month and thats it for rest of year?

The Vita launch has hardly been a great success they need to keep momentum up and there are no games announced for release this year other than Unit 13 so far????

Gonna check out Unit 13 soon. The damn demo made my Vita crash, have you had any issues with the proper retail version?

BTW I added you on PSN but you haven't accepted or declined. Just thought I'd let you know in case you missed it.

I literally have been extremely lucky as I have not had a single issue with my Vita. The first day I had it it froze up for literally like 3 seconds, then kept working, and I have not seen anything since. It has literally (knock on wood) run flawless. I even updated Unit 13 to the latest version before I played it.

And cool, I will definitely accept the invite, just have not seen it yet, I stopped playing the Vita shortly after I posted last night, had a bit of an emergency with my puppy and had to run him to an animal hospital. Was up most of the night and I am now at work. Next time I fire up the Vita I will accept it.

Just been looking up release dates on Eurogamer and all I can see is Unit 13 this month and thats it for rest of year?

The Vita launch has hardly been a great success they need to keep momentum up and there are no games announced for release this year other than Unit 13 so far????

Today is the day I believe they announce their next wave of games. But there are definitely more games than just Unit 13 listed for me on the Gamefly website as for as upcoming releases.

Mortal Kombat

Resistance

Gravity Rush

Little Big Planet

Those are just the ones I remember off the top of my head. Sure not a ton, but I believe a decent amount of games should be announced today, and I am willing to bet there will be some heavy hitters in there as well.

Honestly just the launch games themselves are going to get me through the next month or so if not longer. I still have yet to even touch Hotshots, barely scratched the surface with Wipeout, still have plenty to play with Super Stardust and Escape Plan. So good titles on the Vita combined with still good games being released on the PS3 itself means I do not foresee any lull in gaming at all. Then again I have shared the fact my time is pretty limited.

I did play a bit more of Unit 13 after I posted, and I really do like it now that I have the control scheme to memory. Only touch aspects or reload, bring up the objective map, and if there are things to interact with in the environment you will get a prompt to interact. Other than that, rest of it is just normal no touch controls, and they do work. The same issue I saw with the demo, that the camera angles get a little wonky, still do exist, but it is in the real tight quarters situations, and I have figured out how to avoid it from happening already. Since it is a 3rd person game, you can keep swinging the camera around so to speak. So yeah I kind of am digging Unit 13. They have a Daily Challenge thing that I decided to try after doing just the 1st mission of the campaign, it said it was an Elite challenge which meant if you die you were done and had to start all over, and I almost was able to get it but just kept dying towards the end. I would have eventually done it but as I said had a little scare with my puppy to where I had to run out of the house and drop everything, but right there is a pretty cool concept, if they keep up with these daily challenges and they are different each time, that adds a whole lot of replayability to the game itself. Plus trying to top leaderboard scores can get pretty addicting I am imagining.

im gonna have to eat humble pie and say that I'm enjoying uncharted, I'm pleased i traded for it as it's been a good experience so far.

Thanks for the link of games, it good to know that there is going to be a steady stream of games for the Vita, I'm a big fan of the 3DS but the games landscape looks completely deserted.

I got both and have only tried the Vita version so far. I'm enjoying playing RttS. Graphics aren't the greatest but gameplay is pretty awesome.

Have you had any issues with the controls? I wish I could play a demo somewhere before opening the game up. What interfaces are you using for hitting and pitching?

Have you had any issues with the controls? I wish I could play a demo somewhere before opening the game up. What interfaces are you using for hitting and pitching?

Well I've only been playing Road to the Show as a SS, so I haven't done any pitching. I'm just using the standard controls (using face buttons to swing). I've had no issues aside from the fact that I suck at hitting.

Well I've only been playing Road to the Show as a SS, so I haven't done any pitching. I'm just using the standard controls (using face buttons to swing). I've had no issues aside from the fact that I suck at hitting.

I was thinking about using them as well. Seems to be a lot easier. I'm probably going to use meter pitching as well.

I read that Metal Gear Solid HD Collection is coming to Vita, but haven't seen anything else today. Was there a time listed for the announcement?

I was thinking about using them as well. Seems to be a lot easier. I'm probably going to use meter pitching as well.

I read that Metal Gear Solid HD Collection is coming to Vita, but haven't seen anything else today. Was there a time listed for the announcement?

All we have according to the Kotaku article is a release date of June in Japan.

xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

I was not actually a huge fan of these games when they were released. I tried, and just did not have the patience. As such, I never beat either.

I am without any doubt going to be playing them on the Vita as long as the controls are halfway decent. I have always felt I have done by self a terrible disservice by not having played either game.

The MGS HD Collection on the Vita won't have Peacewalker included. I have to say that I'm looking forward to it though.

All we have according to the Kotaku article is a release date of June in Japan.

I was not actually a huge fan of these games when they were released. I tried, and just did not have the patience. As such, I never beat either.

I am without any doubt going to be playing them on the Vita as long as the controls are halfway decent. I have always felt I have done by self a terrible disservice by not having played either game.

I'm exactly the same, didn't play them on the first round as i don't usually have the patience for stealth games, however i will probably end up grabbing this just to see what all the fuss was about.

Even without Peace Walker, I still think that I'll pick this up on the Vita as opposed to the PS3. I have tons of stuff that I want to play through on the PS3, so I'm a lot more likely to play through the MGS HD collection on the Vita in little fifteen minute increments here and there.

MGS2 and 3 are two of my favorite games of all time (MGS3 in particular just might be in my top five), and seeing how my PS2 and all of its games are stuffed away in a box somewhere (I could dig them out, but...), I'm looking forward to reliving those memories.

So I finished Uncharted Golden Abyss late last night. Actually ended up playing until 12:30 am and now I'm paying for it at work lol. Thoughts:

• Game started off slow but picked up quite nicely around the midpoint on
  • Wasn't a big fan of all the touch control stuff, but it didn't really bother me
  • Love the gyro aiming
  • Overall, I'm very pleased with this game. It really was like a PS3 Uncharted experience in your hands

What are people feeling about their Vitas then after the "hooneymoon period"?

Mine has taken a bit of a backseat to console/PC, but tonight I was waiting on my other half to finish work as I was picking her up, and she ended up running 30 mins late. Had about 15 mins of Lumines and then Hustle Kings. I still love the screen, and design wise it's much more comfortable than my old PSP - At least with games that don't use back touch. So far I really feel it could've done without back touch, but I will say Sound Shapes seems to use it well (from trailers, really looking forward to this game). Guess it's better to have it than not, as long as developers are incredibly wise about when they implement it.

Games seem to be going through a little dry spell, this is something that seems to happen in the months after launch for most gaming devices. Really am looking forward to Gravity Daze, but it certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Still happy with my purchase, as usual I could have waited for a price drop and saved money, but I do enjoy being an early adopter when it comes to gaming hardware.

Up next from Sony besides games I'd really like to see them knuckle down on the firmware and give us some substantial updates this side of summer, and before the end of the year. While the Vita OS is pretty nice and clearly benefits from 512mb ram, it does still feel a little "seperate". Almost everything seems like you're launching a standalone app, even going into settings. Think it could be streamlined a little.

Better PSP support, and finally, PSX support, will substantially increase playtime for a lot of people - The screen and resolution bump really does work wonders on PSP titles, can only imagine what some of the PSX classics will look like.

<snipped>

I am having about the opposite experience. I like it more now than I initially did, and it is almost all I have been exclusively playing except for playing Journey.

It absolutely filled the role I thought it was going to have for myself, and that was provide me with more gaming time than I previously had prior to getting it. My wife is cool with me taking over the TV now and then, for example with Journey, but for the most part we tend to hang out in our TV room every night with our cat and dog and watch TV. We still do that, but I am now playing the Vita a few nights of the week as well, and she doesnt mind at all as I let her watch the shows I normally would not want to watch otherwise if we were both poicking something to watch we both liked. :laugh:

I also have literally just been jumping between games, still playing Rayman, Unit 13, and Wipeout all at the same time. Plus Motorstorm RC. Still have Escape Plan and Super Stardust, which I actually really liked both games a whole lot, especially SSD. And I still have not even tried Hot Shots Golf to this day, and I know I am definitely going to really enjoy it.

I am definitely hoping for some big game announcements very soon though. A Gran Turismo and a new God Of War being at the top of my list. Going to definitely pick up Gravity Rush as well.

So yeah, I am liking it more than when I first got it and based on what I am playing and still have to play, I envision at least a couple of more months before I tire of the games I currently have.

With the above said, I hardly use it for anything besides gaming. I have not even taken a single photo or video with it yet actually, and I very well never may. So the other aspects of it I cannot really comment on all that much. Agree with seeing some firmware updates though, just to keep things moving along.

I've definitely been enjoying it as it's getting me some gaming time in while at work/on lunch. Motorstorm RC has been perfect as the races are quick so I can fit them in here and there when things get slow so I'm definitely starting to enjoy it more for this.

I've probably played SSD the most of any game, though I haven't really played any UC:GA in the last 3 weeks or so. Only about 10 chapters in and I'm yet to really get hooked, though I'll probably put a couple hours into it again here soon and see after that. Really loving SSD on this thing though, by far my favorite game on the device and one that I can see myself playing for a while to come.

Since SSX came out I've pretty much been playing that exclusively when I can on the weekends but the Vita is letting me get a lot of extra gaming time in away from the house (spending a fairly equal amount of time on each). Still yet to beat any games on the Vita (well I suppose I've beaten SSD but the score chasing keeps me coming back), so I don't really see myself running out of stuff to play for a little while yet.

My Vita is still receiving almost daily usage after the "honeymoon period". I usually don't play it for long stretches of time - it's typically just a fifteen minute period here and there after I'm done exercising or right before I go to bed. Those short periods of time were my main motivation behind buying a Vita in the first place, and it has been fulfilling that role quite nicely. As of right now, I'm still playing through Hot Shots Golf and Wipeout, and I'm not even close to being done either game. I tend to push myself to complete games after I start them, no matter how tempted I am to branch out, hence the reason why I haven't touched Lumines or Super Stardust Delta in a while.

I definitely agree with Audioboxer about the back touch panel - the most comfortable way to hold the handheld for me is to completely disregard the panel and just rest my hands upon it. They could have taken that thing out completely and I wouldn't miss it. Like I said on my blog, if a game comes out that forces my hands into that weird contorted position using the hand grooves, I just won't play that game. I'm perfectly content with the buttons and the odd bit of touchscreen manipulation.

Support for PSX games is definitely needed, and hopefully it's not far off. I bought Chrono Cross with the intention of playing it again on the Vita, and I was initially a little surprised when I saw that I couldn't play it right out of the box. I never had a PSP, so I still have a few games from that collection that I want to go through eventually, with Disgaea 2 and Legend of Heroes being the first two on my list. I typically don't like to play multiple "story-based" (using that term extremely loosely) games at the same time, so once Mass Effect 3 on the Xbox 360 is done, then I'll probably start Rayman Origins, and then Legend of Heroes after that.

New game announcements are going to be needed fairly soon, though. While I still have more than enough to keep me going in the near future (the aforementioned titles along with MGS:HD collection and Street Fighter x Tekken), I know that there are many people who have exhausted their collection of launch titles and are hoping for something new to play. Hopefully some smaller arcade-style games or indie games can pick up that slack in that department.

I didn't mention this before but I am definitely with you guys on the back touch panel, haven't really enjoyed it for any games that have used it much (only time I actually like using it is to adjust the camera zoom in UC:GA). I generally find it a bit annoying to use because I often find I'm not as precise with it. In games like Escape Plan I often find myself misjudging things, and I end up missing the actual spot by what's usually a fraction of an inch. It's not a whole lot but it's usually enough to miss it if it's a small/precise location I need to hit. A couple friends had similar complaints so I figured it wasn't just me and perhaps it will just take a bit of getting used to (though I'd probably prefer for games not to use it much).

I'll also mention that the Vita is much more comfortable for longer gaming sessions than the PSP was for me. I've had a few times where I've probably played it for 3-4 hours straight without any sort of discomfort where with the PSP my hands definitely would've been cramping up at that point. Guess the real test will be on my next flight when I go to visit family or friends.

Did you get Lumines Larry? The game is like crack to me but sadly I'm not good enough to get most of the songs unlocked :( Think my highest score so far is 90,000 odds. The game is great with a good pair of noise cancelling headphones and the volume cranked right up.

Wish I could put it on an easier mode.

I played the HSG/Everybodys Golf demo, good fun. Can see how it would get addictive as it's a good balance between arcade and realism.

Did you get Lumines Larry? The game is like crack to me but sadly I'm not good enough to get most of the songs unlocked :( Think my highest score so far is 90,000 odds. The game is great with a good pair of noise cancelling headphones and the volume cranked right up.

Wish I could put it on an easier mode.

I played the HSG/Everybodys Golf demo, good fun. Can see how it would get addictive as it's a good balance between arcade and realism.

I checked out the Lumines demo, and while I dug it, if I ever do get it, need it to drop in price. Seemed a bit steep to me.

I can also say, not a huge fan of the back touch panel, but luckily most of the games I really like do not really use it much if at all. But it is really pretty damn awkward. The way I hold the Vita to play Escape Plan is pretty hilarious actually.

Just saw that Canabalt is coming to the Vita (as a PS Mini) this week it looks like. it is one of the games I was most addicted to on my iPhone for quite some time, so as long as the price is right, will definitely be picking it up. I have a feeling I will be able to get a bit further in it with a proper jump button.

Yeah I got it 'free' with my Vita. Good to see iOS games being ported to minis - Ironically a lot of them might fair better with proper controls :p The only downside is how devs react to pricing, selling on iOS for 99p and then ?3-4+ as a Mini is something that makes you question value.

Yeah I got it 'free' with my Vita. Good to see iOS games being ported to minis - Ironically a lot of them might fair better with proper controls :p The only downside is how devs react to pricing, selling on iOS for 99p and then ?3-4+ as a Mini is something that makes you question value.

Yeah that is why I said, the price needs to be right.

And I just checked, I can get Lumines right now by renting it through Gamefly. I may do just that, or I might hold off until I need something else to play.

I picked up Canabalt on the PS3 this week. I think it was just ?1.30 or something, so nothing too much more than an average iPhone/Android app. Nice to see a sensible pricing on it.

I found this article last night... 15 best PSP games for the Vita

I am probably going to pick up the 3rd Birthday and Crush eventually.

Has anyone played either? If so impressions?

i was interested in the 3rd birthday last year but never bought it. i read the IGN review and they said it was pretty brutal. There's certain enemies that will kill you instantly if you dont mash the correct buttons. still, the game looks sweet, but i'll probably never bother playing it.

as for my Vita - i finished Uncharted last week, so i havent played anything else on it since. I'm playing ME3 now on PC so that's consuming my free time. I wont get back into Vita until a flight next month - i'll have time on the plane to play Escape Plan.