• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows 8 PRO/ and ENT x64 and X86 VOLUME leaks!

Vester    80

Quick Question

I just got done downloading 64 bit of windows 8 Pro and I'm planning on upgrading my current Windows 7 Ultimate to it. Will the keys you guys provided will work? Which key is going to work for me. I plan on buying a key once its Oct. let me know. Thanks

Your windows 7 key wont work to activate this, you can upgrade windows 7 to windows 8 when its released in October to the public. In October your just need to buy windows 8 upgrade and place the key into this windows 8 activation via the activate option.

The keys with this release are Core, Pro normal (the one your most likely want) and MCE (you might be upgrading to this it will cost a little extra?) so install windows 8 with one of the 3 keys. but choose the key for the one your going to upgrade to when you buy it legit.

The keys provided wont activate windows it will just allow you to install windows 8 and features. so you cant install windows 8 pro with a MCE key provided and then just buy w8 upgrade without Media center and activate it. But if you installed windows 8 without media center using the key and you buy windows 8 without media center the key will then work.

In any case you cant activate this only install it! your have to wait till October regardless of your choice.

Please take a read of the official windows blog regarding upgrading windows 8 http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/07/02/upgrade-to-windows-8-pro-for-39-99.aspx

Sheza    9

MrAnalysis - Does that mean then, that we can upgrade to the RTM right now, use in notification period, and then input an upgrade key when they go on sale, to activate?

freak180    551

Your windows 7 key wont work to activate this, you can upgrade windows 7 to windows 8 when its released in October to the public. In October your just need to buy windows 8 upgrade and place the key into this windows 8 activation via the activate option.

The keys with this release are Core, Pro normal (the one your most likely want) and MCE (you might be upgrading to this it will cost a little extra?) so install windows 8 with one of the 3 keys. but choose the key for the one your going to upgrade to when you buy it legit.

The keys provided wont activate windows it will just allow you to install windows 8 and features. so you cant install windows 8 pro with a MCE key provided and then just buy w8 upgrade without Media center and activate it. But if you installed windows 8 without media center using the key and you buy windows 8 without media center the key will then work.

In any case you cant activate this only install it! your have to wait till October regardless of your choice.

Please take a read of the official windows blog regarding upgrading windows 8 http://windowsteambl...-for-39-99.aspx

Thanks for the info but I never mention about using my Windows 7 key to activate Windows. All I know of are the 3 keys for installations. All I was asking if those keys will work still even if I did a upgrade and not a clean install. I am going to buy the upgrade package for 39.99 in oct. I just rather use RTM now

Sheza    9

Thanks for the info but I never mention about using my Windows 7 key to activate Windows. All I know of are the 3 keys for installations. All I was asking if those keys will work still even if I did a upgrade and not a clean install. I am going to buy the upgrade package for 39.99 in oct. I just rather use RTM now

Why not give it a go? Someone over at MDL couldn't get it to allow him to keep files and programs etc, only a fresh install.

Noir Angel    4,210

Please take a read of the official windows blog regarding upgrading windows 8 http://windowsteambl...-for-39-99.aspx

I thought Microsoft were going to throw in MCE keys for a limited time as an additional "early adoption" bonus?

All 3 keys will work I'd imagine, and you'll be able to rearm it for long enough to keep the install going until general availability.

Vester    80

Oh you mean just upgrade your current windows 7 install to windows 8? Then yes them keys will work but as i said pic the key for the edition your going to be buying :) I would not recommend doing an upgrade though windows 8 has only just come out there will be bugs and it wont be activated untill you buy the licence. So your going to be getting a msg every 3hs asking to activate and your have the watermark and things to deal with also.

Noir Angel    4,210

Agreed, I personally hate in place upgrades. If I get a new version of Windows I always do a clean install.

freak180    551

Oh you mean just upgrade your current windows 7 install to windows 8? Then yes them keys will work but as i said pic the key for the edition your going to be buying :) I would not recommend doing an upgrade though windows 8 has only just come out there will be bugs and it wont be activated untill you buy the licence. So your going to be getting a msg every 3hs asking to activate and your have the watermark and things to deal with also.

Ive upgraded before and done clean installs in the past. Regardless of the choice I pick, I always seem to get strange bugs lol So yeah thats what I meant. I just plan on getting the retail. None MCE. So every 3 hours? I always get notification about my antivirus needing updates so this wont concern me any lol

Agreed, I personally hate in place upgrades. If I get a new version of Windows I always do a clean install.

So do I, but I have so many programs installed and settings place the way I want them. I dont have the time to redo all of this lol Otherwise I would perform a clean install.

Sheza    9

If you perform a clean install, you definitely won't be able to use the $40 upgrade key to activate.

gate1975mlm    121

How do you Re-arm Windows 8?

Sheza    9

Don't bother unless you explicitly need to.

Someone will post up a method in 2 secs...

anidais    30

@freak180 Remember that the $39.99 upgrade can apparently only be installed on machines with a previous legit Windows installation. I do not know if upgrading your current Windows 7 installation to the Windows 8 RTM will allow you to enter your upgrade key (once you buy it). Keep that in mind. It might not work.

Detection    2,256

Give it a gun

anidais    30

If you perform a clean install, you definitely won't be able to use the $40 upgrade key to activate.

As far as I'm concerned a clean install is possible but only if you format the hard drive during the installation. It won't work it you format the HDD and then install the upgrade. It has to be done during the upgrade process. That's what I've read anyway.

Mr. Dee    26

This my installation of Windows 8 Enterprise. Seriously, if you can, get a copy of the Windows 7 build 7000 sample pictures, they look gorgeous on it.

post-25934-0-70658200-1344195432_thumb.j

Sheza    9

As far as I'm concerned a clean install is possible but only if you format the hard drive during the installation. It won't work it you format the HDD and then install the upgrade. It has to be done during the upgrade process. That's what I've read anyway.

I had to read that several times, but I get it now!

Vester    80

I had to read that several times, but I get it now!

Yep you get an option read this http://www.winsupers...-version-143574

You can just put this windows 8 RTM cd back in the drive and click upgrade even if you say upgrade windows 7 to windows 8 now and buy a key. Just place the cd back in drive click upgrade option and your get faced with a screen asking if you want to keep nothing, keep files etc etc etc just do that and enter key.

You can also download windows 8 release preview and upgrade from that to windows 8 without having to have a prior OS installed.

anidais    30

You can also download windows 8 release preview and upgrade from that to windows 8 without having to have a prior OS installed.

I think that you can do this as long as the Release Preview was installed as an upgrade over Windows 7. If the Release Preview was a clean installation I don't think the upgrade offer works. Lots of confusion about this. I guess we'll know more in the coming weeks.

Noir Angel    4,210

So do I, but I have so many programs installed and settings place the way I want them. I dont have the time to redo all of this lol Otherwise I would perform a clean install.

I back up program data from any programs I don't want to lose, most of your program data is in /users/<username>/AppData/Local and /Roaming. I keep most of my games and files on separate hard disks so it's not that much trouble for me.

Noir Angel    4,210

The Professional ISO doesn't have the keys inbedded, unless you have a key it's going to be impossible to install from what I can tell.

Sheza    9

The Professional ISO doesn't have the keys inbedded, unless you have a key it's going to be impossible to install from what I can tell.

Indeed, but the key is available all over the place.

Noir Angel    4,210

It's strange that the releasers never included them though, without them the images are useless :laugh:

On another note what are the actual uses for the volume keys compared to the normal ones? Also, I presume the media centre key is one of those that you add after install to get the feature?

Sheza    9

It's strange that the releasers never included them though, without them the images are useless :laugh:

On another note what are the actual uses for the volume keys compared to the normal ones? Also, I presume the media centre key is one of those that you add after install to get the feature?

No idea. Someone said it might be easier to pirate. And yeah, you need to use the second key to get WMC after installation.

I made a tutorial for how to set a task so that the watermark nag goes away automatically every 3 hours. Some people may just prefer to restart it via Task Manager.

STEP 1 (Screenshot for Assistance)

Download the batch file text from here: http://paste2.org/p/2095655

Open "Notepad" and paste the text

Save as "All Files" and name it "restartexplorer.bat"

STEP 2 (Screenshot for Assistance)

Open "Task Scheduler"

Create a "New Task" (NOT a Basic Task)

Name it what you want. Give it a description. Move on.

STEP 3 (Screenshot for Assistance)

Click the "Triggers" tab

Begin the task "On a schedule"

Select "One Time" (NOTE: This is the part where I'm not sure if it would actually work, experiment if it doesn't)

Under "Advanced Settings" tick "Repeat task every" and fill in " 3 hours"

Select "for a duration of... indefinitely"

STEP 4(Screenshot for Assistance)

Click the "Action" tab

Click "New"

Find the batch file we made earlier. Click OK.

Now finish it and we're done! You should end up with a task scheduler screen that looks like this.

As I said, not sure if it will actually run since it's set to trigger "one time" but "repeat" every 3 hours. Try it! The process literally takes a second, depending on the speed of your computer. You'll hardly notice it.

Credit to AskVG for the batch file I was too lazy to write, and for Google peeps for pointing me to the Task Scheduler.

Ci7    202

couldn't we just buy a key trough activation control panel since i give you the option to buy a key online? it say the activate itself if do :p

were are is my cc when i need it :s

Vester    80

couldn't we just buy a key trough activation control panel since i give you the option to buy a key online? it say the activate itself if do :p

were are is my cc when i need it :s

If you buy via creditcard your get a test transaction and invalid key and best, paypal option will just always send you to local store to buy it ;) already tried it like 5x now.