Neowin.net Minecraft Server (Old Server)

Message added by Brandon H,

Come join the new Minecraft server discussion thread :)

You are entitled to your opinion. Exactly as I said you were. However is it fair that the opinion of a rare/infrequent player holds the same weight (or even trumps) as that of a player who is on the server all the time?

Here's the funny thing, flying actually *is* part of vanilla MC, on the server side. For some odd reason it's not part of the client and you need a mod to enable it client side.

Also, if we're going for a strict Vanilla server, should *all* mods be banned? If you allow some but not others how and where do you draw the line? On 1.7.x I have a whole host of mods installed that gave me additional information and extra stuff right there in the HUD. Do they give me an advantage? Hard to say, but I find the experience much more satisfying for having them there.

I'd also like to extend upon my point #10 above. When some players make big impressive builds (helped by flying or not, for me it's a huge help) it can act as inspiration to other players to improve their building skills. I have talked to numerous new players (to the server as well as MC) who have looked around in awe at some of the incredible stuff others have created. Without fail they say 'I could never build something like that'. But it plants a seed, and they start small - as we all did - and they get better and better, and some do go on to produce amazing builds.

Alright. I haven't chimed in because I'm not feeling too well, not because I have nothing to say. 

With that said: I seem to have overestimated the number of complaints vs those who are happy to use Xray etc. 

Would it be agreeable to all if each player can play the way they like, with or without mods? Caveats: 

• The server remains on survival.
  • You don't mine under other people's areas.
  • If people are annoyed by others flying into their bases etc, stay away from there.

I'm frankly sick of the back and forth bickering, and want this issue resolved. I'll admit to having made mistakes myself by reversing a decision without any discussion. And I certainly don't want to have to guard players as if the server is a kindergarten so that evildoers can be punished immediately.

Another point: Should we let Nuculi (Archer1978) back on or not?

• Like 2

Alright. I haven't chimed in because I'm not feeling too well, not because I have nothing to say. 

With that said: I seem to have overestimated the number of complaints vs those who are happy to use Xray etc. 

Would it be agreeable to all if each player can play the way they like, with or without mods? Caveats: 

• If people are annoyed by others flying into their bases etc, stay away from there.

I'm frankly sick of the back and forth bickering, and want this issue resolved. I'll admit to having made mistakes myself by reversing a decision without any discussion. And I certainly don't want to have to guard players as if the server is a kindergarten so that evildoers can be punished immediately.

That seems fine to me. I agree that the current discussion is getting us nowhere.

As long as he promises not to destroy other peoples stuff again, I'm also happy that Nuculi be allowed back on. 

I'm willing to accept his appology but on one condition, he has to build a new home somewhere else far away from Crisp, him and Crisp living in the same mountain has been nothing but a headache since you two had border issues. (old home was recently filled in to restore that side of the mountain and faces a tower of the iron farm now)

I feel he should be allowed to rejoin on an evaluation period for a set amount of time (if he has been good he can stay if not he must go), have to start fresh (Ie no previous items that may be in his inventory), and he should have to build away from people as best as that can be done on our current map.

Ive started work on a map room in one of my buildings at my main base it goes from spawn out to one part of the border that would be to the right if you face the sign that is at spawn

No-one wants to address the points I made in my last post?

Given Frank has already given the standing I don't think it matters but....

I personally don't have a problem with the flying, its the ore detection stuff I don't like. 

@thornz0

I think you've either misunderstood my questions (quite possible, I know I'm not the greatest communicator), or are misrepresenting my position.

1. I never tried to claim there was no proof Crisp was using XRay, I was just surprised that anyone spotted he was using XRay from the screenshot. I had never noticed that the MC version info had changed. Of course I knew full well that Crisp was using XRay, it was me that told him that the mod had been released.

2. I have never armed new users on this server with full gear. I cannot, and will not, apologise or try and excuse other players if they choose to do that. That is up to them.

3. Plenty of players have turned up with 'entitled attitudes', irrespective of whether they use XRay or not and whether they were helped by someone who does or not. Big deal. Real life is full of entitled a-holes.

4. OK, fair comment. Some people who (ab)used XRay have been jerks about it. But again, I cannot and will not apologise for how other players act. That is their problem. I only hold myself accountable for my actions, and I don't believe I have been a jerk. If anyone else feels differently then they should let me know.

5. I never tried searching for middle ground/compromise? Are you kidding me? You even admit that I have said - on multiple occasions - I will ultimately accept whatever decision is handed down. I have also proposed a solution that was completely ignored.

6. I am not whining. I am simply asking questions that have as yet been basically ignored, especially by the game mods.

7. To be perfectly honest, the x-ray part of the mod I couldn't care less about. It's not actually all that useful most of the time. It's the flying that I'd prefer to keep as it takes a lot of the very boring work out of big builds. I've even considered trying to rip apart one of the XRay mods to remove the x-ray part and make it a pure flying mod.

8. The last world was strictly Survival at the start. However that attitude quickly softened, and ultimately Flight was freely given out when requested, then Creative. Once you get used to having flight you soon forget how restrictive playing pure Survival without it is, so a Survival only server doesn't sound too bad.

9. Every player should get a say sure. No problem, as long as they do actually play. Should the say of a casual player override the say of a frequent player? What about people who aren't on the server just post in the forum? That doesn't seem particularly fair to me.

10. I'd also like to remind everyone of what type of game MineCraft is. It doesn't have a goal. There is no end game. You mine, you build. Seeing as we don't do PvP there is no competition. The fact that player X has a super dooper pick axe, and glowy bling armour has no actual affect on player Y apart from the old Green Eyed Monster. (Unless of course X is being a jerk and strip mining under Y)

I think I too am trying to stay positive. I'm fighting this until I feel that a fair result is reached - and that doesn't mean until I get my way. I just like to know that all points have been understood, and that where decisions have been made those decisions are reasonable and justified. Yes, I am the only one sticking my head above the parapet on this, but I know that I represent the views of several other players. That fact that they haven't chimed in should in no way change that.

You've been representing the "majority", but you've actually been the only one of them (*regular) posting in support. I suppose it is unfair to a degree, but since you're representing some of the people that caused some of the issue, that means you get some of the flack too. I do not think you've been a jerk, quite the contrary. You've been very nice sharing all of your time and efforts to help others. My criticisms are for the lack of responsibility being taken by a good number of the people using and sharing these mods for this mess, and for breeding some of the entitlement (two people in particular). You were just the only one speaking to it. That doesn't make it okay though, and if I pegged too much of that on you, my apologies.

In terms of the revised rules, I stand by my earlier comments. I would love to continue playing, but only if there is some stronger effort to not be "feeding" some of the jerks without a little more guidance on rules and etiquette. It would also be nice if the map was enlarged a little bit. I'm not sure how far off from the center of the map spawn is (no frame of reference), but near me, there's no where else really open for a decent build that doesn't likely have mine shafts under or near already. I'm very near the edge and not very far from spawn. It would be hard to just restart elsewhere.

The map currently goes roughly 770 blocks each way from spawn (I think spawn is the origin point anyway), so it is a little restrictive right now. The original plan was to expand by 10 blocks a week, which is something I've also been trying to get changed as I think that is far too slow. At that rate it will take many months to get to a jungle biome for instance.

I've uploaded an Overviewer generated map to the server, it just needs someone to set up a web server for it now :)

does that need to be on neowin or could some one here host it on their own website and if so what would they need to do that?

I've uploaded an Overviewer generated map to the server, it just needs someone to set up a web server for it now :)

Great news!

does that need to be on neowin or could some one here host it on their own website and if so what would they need to do that?

It could be hosted anywhere. It just needs a folder on a webserver for the files. Overviewer generates an html file that pulls in the Google mapping API via javascript along with its own javascript components.

I have web hosting space and would be prepared to host it if needed.

You've been representing the "majority", but you've actually been the only one of them (*regular) posting in support. I suppose it is unfair to a degree, but since you're representing some of the people that caused some of the issue, that means you get some of the flack too. I do not think you've been a jerk, quite the contrary. You've been very nice sharing all of your time and efforts to help others. My criticisms are for the lack of responsibility being taken by a good number of the people using and sharing these mods for this mess, and for breeding some of the entitlement (two people in particular). You were just the only one speaking to it. That doesn't make it okay though, and if I pegged too much of that on you, my apologies.

In terms of the revised rules, I stand by my earlier comments. I would love to continue playing, but only if there is some stronger effort to not be "feeding" some of the jerks without a little more guidance on rules and etiquette. It would also be nice if the map was enlarged a little bit. I'm not sure how far off from the center of the map spawn is (no frame of reference), but near me, there's no where else really open for a decent build that doesn't likely have mine shafts under or near already. I'm very near the edge and not very far from spawn. It would be hard to just restart elsewhere.

I've talked to one of the members you're referring to on the server yesterday and hopefully have been able to set them straight. Time will tell.

The rules will now stand; yesterday's amendments were made to find a compromise which suits everybody involved. 

As for enlarging the map, I'm going to up the size to 1600x1600 now. The amount of regular map increase from thereon will be determined later.

I'm in agreement, actually I found xray helpful in another area that i discussed with you on IRC the other day (I watched said player go into your house just by standing on one of my fence posts)

• Like 1