WZOR Talks About Windows (Codename) 9, Is a DP Imminent?

wait...that looks like a mini start screen :shifty:

Which makes sense since internally they call it "mini-start" and that the rumor goes you can, somehow, expand it.  Though I don't see a button of some kind in the screen shot to let you do that so I'm guessing you'll have to change a setting in PC Settings or Control panel or in the taskbar settings (why taskbar settings aren't part of PC settings/Control Panel is something I don't get).

This looks epic - the recent info-drought is over with a bang!   So :heart: the borderless windows and big-n-soft drop-shadows.

Slide-16 of the Computer Base deck - Isn't that Mission Control, up-side-down?!!  Are they going to have a problem with those fruity lawyers?

Anyone know what the icon left of Search is??  Sure makes me think of Vista's Flip3d..?

I doubt it, MS and Apple have an old licensing agreement that doesn't allow either to sue either over OS UI from what I remember.  And the icon left of search is for the new virtual desktop feature.

I assume the icon refresh is work-in-progress - looks like they've started with some way to go.  App Commands = right-clicking pinned items?  When was right-clicking last not intuitive?

Sorry there, I meant the Charm commands (charm charms?) from the Charm bar. 

4.jpg

Looks like the notification center is part of the taskbar and not part of the system tray like I first thought it would be, since in the screenshot it's outside the tray area.

Wow, ugly.... heavy customization.... clean design...professional... mature...

Oh yeah sure, the path of heavy customization always led to a clean design.  Cleaner that a borderless window with a rejuvenated Control Menu UI?

Placeholder live tiles are placeholders for live tile information.  Love them or leave them.

Amazing, incredible.

They should next slim it down even more, the apps' icons in the stupid list are way too big. 1-2 pixels are just perfect, for the mouse #masterrace.

Oh yeah sure, the path of heavy customization always led to a clean design.  Cleaner that a borderless window with a rejuvenated Control Menu UI?

Placeholder live tiles are placeholders for live tile information.  Love them or leave them.

What looks pleasant to you might just not look as pleasant to me.

Of course I'll wait for the final release, but I'd have no problems switching platforms, I've already done that in the past (ditched Vista for Kubuntu).

Amazing, incredible.

They should next slim it down even more, the apps' icons in the stupid list are way too big. 1-2 pixels are just perfect, for the mouse #masterrace.

Aren't they the same size they've always been, even in Windows 7s menu?

How else should they organise the new start menu? One long list of installed apps?

Well say you want notepad.. you press the Windows button or hold the windows button on your keyboard. Then you type notepad.. or just "no" will do it will find it. Simples.. No need to go through different menus to get to what you want just ask windows to find it. God people its not 2012 anymore you don't have to manually find ######. 

Oh and the documents icon on taskbar is different to one in the explorer. 

Sorry there, I meant the Charm commands (charm charms?) from the Charm bar. 

The ... is rather subtle, maybe too-so.  I thought it was the old Control menu (which is pretty much redundant now) but that looks like it might still be there (the green icon).

Wonder how Charms works 'Full Screen'?

Looks interesting but Metro icons (Desktop one) among regular Vista-7ish ones doesn't look good at all.

It's obviously a work in progress. I expect the Vista-era icons to be replaced in later builds.

Looks interesting but Metro icons (Desktop one) among regular Vista-7ish ones doesn't look good at all.

If they've taken the time to change some (the desktop icon and even the favorites star seems to have changed), then they're going to change the rest at this point.

This looks epic - the recent info-drought is over with a bang!   So :heart: the borderless windows and big-n-soft drop-shadows.

Slide-16 of the Computer Base deck - Isn't that Mission Control, up-side-down?!!  Are they going to have a problem with those fruity lawyers?

Anyone know what the icon left of Search is??  Sure makes me think of Vista's Flip3d..?

I could be wrong but I think that's the icon to bring up the virtual desktops.

• Like 2

What looks pleasant to you might just not look as pleasant to me.

Of course I'll wait for the final release, but I'd have no problems switching platforms, I've already done that in the past (ditched Vista for Kubuntu).

And yet here you are? :)

Vista-the-it-crowd-25295778-498-280.gif

And yet here you are? :)

Vista-the-it-crowd-25295778-498-280.gif

Nope, ditched Kubuntu too and went back to XP, as a matter of fact I still use XP, works flawlessly, this is still the original 2007 installation.

Nope, ditched Kubuntu too and went back to XP, as a matter of fact I still use XP, works flawlessly, this is still the original 2007 installation.

XP does not "work flawlessly", everything is outdated. Many new features came in Vista,7, and 8

XP does not "work flawlessly", everything is outdated. Many new features came in Vista,7, and 8

It may for him.. Different strokes for different folks.. One size doesn't fit all..

Let's stay on topic, the menu can be tweaked I'm sure, the background color can be whatever you want to set, maybe even a picture since I think it's basically the same code the start screen uses just outlined/overlayed differently on the screen when you click the start button.  And if you really don't like the tiles when guess what, you can unpin them and just have a list of apps on the left.

I also expect that we'll see other changes to it, for example are they going to keep the right click power user menu like it is now or will they add something to the new mini-start so people can access it through that?

It does for what I need

Let's stay on topic, the menu can be tweaked I'm sure, the background color can be whatever you want to set, maybe even a picture since I think it's basically the same code the start screen uses just outlined/overlayed differently on the screen when you click the start button.  And if you really don't like the tiles when guess what, you can unpin them and just have a list of apps on the left.

I also expect that we'll see other changes to it, for example are they going to keep the right click power user menu like it is now or will they add something to the new mini-start so people can access it through that?

I know apps can be uninstalled on 8/8.1, I hope they will keep this possibility, I just simply don't want to see apps anywhere near me, I personally think they look ugly and childish, I wouldn't even want to see a list of that stuff, I would try to achieve a Windows 7 look and erase any reminder of their "modern" stuff that I personally don't care about.

I just want a proper working edition of Windows, without anything "metro", if Microsoft will give users the possibility to clean the OS uninstalling apps fine, unless I'll look somewhere else for my PC.

It does for what I need

I know apps can be uninstalled on 8/8.1, I hope they will keep this possibility, I just simply don't want to see apps anywhere near me, I personally think they look ugly and childish, I wouldn't even want to see a list of that stuff, I would try to achieve a Windows 7 look and erase any reminder of their "modern" stuff that I personally don't care about.

I just want a proper working edition of Windows, without anything "metro", if Microsoft will give users the possibility to clean the OS uninstalling apps fine, unless I'll look somewhere else for my PC.

You sound like a 5 year old.

Also it seems like you haven't used a current version of Windows. Win 8.1 is great

• Like 2