Here Are the Features Windows 10 Will Remove When You Upgrade

Windows Updates. This is the most interesting one. In previous Windows versions, you could control how updates were installed. But those with Windows 10 Home will have updates from Windows Update made available automatically. Only Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will be able to defer updates.

Not sure I like the sound of that. :unsure: I kinda like being able to manage Windows Updates.

Not sure I like the sound of that. :unsure: I kinda like being able to manage Windows Updates.

me too, I don't want MS to tell what to update, I don't want every single MS update.

• Like 3

How can they have no included application for DVD playback? That's absurd, they should also be including Bluray playback.

Wonder if a list of cool features from Windows Phone being put to death will be made?

• Like 1

So essentialy a complete lack of support from Microsoft for disk media playback?

This was removed in 8 already. Not that it mattered to me, I used XBMC and VLC in 7.

Same, kinda thinking about just keeping 8.1 or 7 on computers other than the one I will have  Pro on, not sure I like the idea of not having the control over the updates.

• Like 3

How can they have no included application for DVD playback? That's absurd, they should also be including Bluray playback.

Wonder if a list of cool features from Windows Phone being put to death will be made?

it's likely so they don't have to license certain video codecs and then are able to keep costs down.

This was removed in 8 already. Not that it mattered to me, I used XBMC and VLC in 7.

Well yes and no ther was a media playback ability with an add-on [free at the begining]

it's likely so they don't have to license certain video codecs and then are able to keep costs down.

So decompression algorythms may be in the firing line too given this route.

Same, kinda thinking about just keeping 8.1 or 7 on computers other than the one I will have  Pro on, not sure I like the idea of not having the control over the updates.

Probably a smart move on your part.

I do hope someone finds/creates a workaround or solution to bring back control of updates eventually. 

The update thing sounds like a good idea. Weren't there at least 2 months with updates that caused bootloops for some people recently?

There are invariably issues assosiated with some hardware as unlike a tablet its so varied across the user base, so auto updates is going to cause issues.

Probably a smart move on your part.

I do hope someone finds/creates a workaround or solution to bring back control of updates eventually. 

hoping that too, in the early version of 10 there was a hack to turn on the old update on, so hoping someone figures out how to turn on the enterprise\pro update in the other versions.

Ability to change the titlebar color of Win32 programs. 

Ability to choose black as the solid desktop color (only a couple pre-sets are available that are close to black but are not RGB 255,255,255 black)

Ability to choose your own custom color. You are given a choice of 20 or so pre-sets that cannot be customized. 

There are invariably issues assosiated with some hardware as unlike a tablet its so varied across the user base, so auto updates is going to cause issues.

That's why it's not a very good idea. While I used to install updates as soon as they were released, I prefer to wait a week now.

hoping that too, in the early version of 10 there was a hack to turn on the old update on, so hoping someone figures out how to turn on the enterprise\pro update in the other versions.

Doubt the old hack still works. Though it would be cool if it did.

Source: thurrott.com

It's a SOFTWARE issue - not a hardware issue - OEMs are free to include playback software with their products - which is something OEMs did before WMC came along.  I started my run of AIWs before XP Media Center Edition came along, for example, and bought my first PC DVD reader during the same timeframe.  (Media Center Edition - and the later Windows Media Center - was about convenience - period.)  Cyberlink Media Player will continue to be bundled with either DVD hardware or BD hardware - as it is today.  (In some cases, it is bundled with system boards - BYOPC, anyone? - that isn't going away, either.)

Sheesh.

For all the people complaining about Windows updates, you probably have pro anyway so there's nothing to worry about it. If you don't have pro, why don't you? 

Ability to change the titlebar color of Win32 programs. 

Ability to choose black as the solid desktop color (only a couple pre-sets are available that are close to black but are not RGB 255,255,255 black)

Ability to choose your own custom color. You are given a choice of 20 or so pre-sets that cannot be customized. 

You and maybe 1 other person cares.  Keep beating that drum though.

• Like 2

For all the people complaining about Windows updates, you probably have pro anyway so there's nothing to worry about it. If you don't have pro, why don't you? 

I don't because my machine didn't come with Pro, it came with Home Premium. 

As far as beating that drum. Don't you hear it?

You cared enough to respond. This thread is about what Windows 7 and 8.1 users will look forward to not having. I was just stating facts. 

I guess in your opinion they should be kept in the dark right? Since, again in your opinion, only 2 people in the entire world care? 

And we'll see about how many cares when the market share figures come out for Q3, Q4 2015 and show Windows 7 usage and 8.1 usage numbers. 

1 other person? Try all the 7 home premium OEM users. AKA just about any consumer running Windows 7 that want's to upgrade.

• Like 2

1 other person? Try all the 7 home premium OEM users. AKA just about any consumer running Windows 7 that want's to upgrade.

Learn to read dude.  Look at what I was quoting. 

You cared enough to respond. This thread is about what Windows 7 and 8.1 users will look forward to not having. I was just stating facts. 

I guess in your opinion they should be kept in the dark right? Since, again in your opinion, only 2 people in the entire world care? 

And we'll see about how many cares when the market share figures come out for Q3, Q4 2015 and show Windows 7 usage and 8.1 usage numbers. 

You post about it in every Windows 10 thread. No. One. Cares.  That's why Microsoft removed it, because no one used it.  They said "hey let's get rid of the legacy crap that no one uses and is bogging down the OS"

It's about damn time.