Here Are the Features Windows 10 Will Remove When You Upgrade

If i have windows 8 pro will it upgrade to windows 10 pro? Don't like the sound of auto upgrade i can't control.

Yes, as others said... you can upgrade Pro for free as long as you have pro/ultimate edition of Windows 7 or 8. Make sure to do so before July 29, 2016. Or the free offer is invalid after that date.

uh heck no to mandatory updates, at least in the pro version you can still pick..... I do so much software testing with development that I have to be able to apply updates one at a time.. I can't imagine how much stuff could break with mandatory updates if an update breaks your code...

WMC yeah it should of died off a while ago...

DVD playback, honestly when was the last time you watched a DVD on your system?

CD/DVD Recording (not on the list but just a point), when was the last time you recoded a CD/DVD?

Floppy Drive - this one speaks for its self....

I have blu-ray on my laptop, I could watch wherever I go in case I don't have internet access to the movie streaming.

DVD/CD.... I can burn stuff onto them at home or elsewhere.  Some people have RV ... so they can backup to DVD before do something else as precaution. So they can fix PC in RV since they might not have internet access wherever they are at.

I don't care about floppy since they are too small to backup huge data to.

Windows Media Center. - Time to let go.

DVD playback. Now, this is a HUGE loss. What the **** are they thinking here?

Desktop gadgets. - No loss here. Do people still use these?

Preinstalled games. - Meh.

Floppy drive support. - Lol.

Windows Live Essentials (Windows Essentials). - Meh.

Windows Updates. - Eh.

So the biggest drop is DVD playback.

Home edition only. Nothing will change for power users.

Some of us have multiple devices, so some devices will have the Home editions on them. :/

Knowing that there may be a broken update coming on... This is a must have setting

Exactly! It's an odd decision to not allow people to control updates on all editions.

Yep,

That's the straw that breaks my back!

To most, it's not a big thing, but I DON'T allow automatic anything except my AV!!

I have 7 Windows 7 computers of all different varities, Pro, Home and Ultimate and whether my version is custom for anything does not matter!

Besdies,

IMO, Windows 10 blows chunks almost as bad as Windows 8/8.1! :x

I'll hang with Windows 7 until 2020 with no problems. :)

Windows 8 isn't bad, and I'm sure Windows 10 won't be neither. Though the changes to Windows Update do sucks.  

Boot loops have been in testing for awhile. They'll RTM along with Win 10 :)

That's one of the things I'm afraid of happening. :/

So the biggest drop is DVD playback.

For you.

Some not too good (sounding) info in there... thanks for the heads up.

Going to have to reconsider some things now. :/

The update thing sounds like a good idea. Weren't there at least 2 months with updates that caused bootloops for some people recently?

it was 3 months in a row. yay!

I reckon there will be a backlash over the home edition, of not allowing users to stop updates happening or deferring them. Maybe Microsoft thinks those who aren't techy own windows 7 home or windows 8 core, i just hope there is an option to allow updates to be done at a later date and not immediately.

Why do so many of you still want to micro manage your updates? It makes no sense to me!

I've let Windows Update run on all my machines for over 3 years now and have had not a single problem

But if you want to do that, you still have the option with the PRO version, Home is for everybody else

It makes perfect sense.

Updates / Driver updates are only as good as the developer that is making them.

Considering there are a lot of 3rd party devs which have their drivers rolled out via WU, it can results to unforeseen issues with hardware.

Windows Media Center. - Time to let go.

DVD playback. No loss here, do people still use these?

Desktop gadgets. - No loss here. Do people still use these?

Preinstalled games. - Meh.

Floppy drive support. - Lol.

Windows Live Essentials (Windows Essentials). - Meh.

Windows Updates. - Eh.

Fixed :D

How can they have no included application for DVD playback? That's absurd, they should also be including Bluray playback.

Wonder if a list of cool features from Windows Phone being put to death will be made?

The reason behind the no DVD/Blu-Ray playback is due to licensing fees, thats why MS dropped the price of their OS after windows 7, I remember it cost me $349 for the full version of XP and Windows 8 was $150 less for Pro

It makes perfect sense.

Updates / Driver updates are only as good as the developer that is making them.

Considering there are a lot of 3rd party devs which have their drivers rolled out via WU, it can results to unforeseen issues with hardware.

I am 99.99% certain that drivers will not be automatically downloaded without a way to turn that off, in any version of 10.

Does this mean they will automatically installed or you will get told there are updates available. 

Probably the latter.

"made available" does not mean automatically installed.  

automatically could mean that you got the update automatically installed if you choose it automatic. For example, Windows will install the updates automatically while you are asleep.

Otherwise you can turn it off if you don't want automatic.. so you download/install them by clicking install button (but you can not choose what you want in the Home edition.)

I am 99.99% certain that drivers will not be automatically downloaded without a way to turn that off, in any version of 10.

Probably the latter.

Yes with the recent build there has been a change in this behavior. Before it used to just force certain drivers to reinstall /even if removed.

I just wish in the builds they had a way to cherry pick which updates you want to install. I hate having to use the metro version of Windows update since it does not let you deselect stuff. I find it pointless for it do updates when its about to install a whole new build that could potentially have the update in it.

There are some things I don't know about how their going to handle with the new automatic Windows Update.

For instance, let's say it does the update but there is a problem. This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I chose to roll back. After I did this my machine was fine. The problem is, then it starts asking if you want to install the flawed update again. It will be interesting how they handle this. :unsure:

I don't understand everyone here thinking DVDs aren't relevant anymore. People used VHS for a good 25+ years before it started to wind down in popularity. DVD's only started outnumbering VHS with rental sales in 2003 and its still the dominant form of home video worldwide (99.5% of countries) today. I see my DVD collection everyday because it's right here near the computer.

I just wish in the builds they had a way to cherry pick which updates you want to install. I hate having to use the metro version of Windows update since it does not let you deselect stuff. I find it pointless for it do updates when its about to install a whole new build that could potentially have the update in it.

Indeed. Same with the malicious software removal tool. Why is MSRT checked by default if the user is already running Defender? Why download updates for IE 10 and have IE 11 offered up and checked simultaneously? Why download a gazillion pre-SP1 updates for Windows 7 when SP1 is going to get offered up right after? Same with office.

Windows Update is a serious bandwidth/time hog that's long overdue for an optimization.

I don't understand everyone here thinking DVDs aren't relevant anymore. People used VHS for a good 25+ years before it started to wind down in popularity. DVD's only started outnumbering VHS with rental sales in 2003 and its still the dominant form of home video worldwide (99.5% of countries) today. I see my DVD collection everyday because it's right here near the computer.

Just use VLC. Its not that big of a deal...

Back then we didn't all own USB drives and NASes with more storage space than a literal mountain of VHS tapes (that cost less than a modest shelf full of VHS tapes/DVDs).

1 other person? Try all the 7 home premium OEM users. AKA just about any consumer running Windows 7 that want's to upgrade.

The 7 HP users will get 10 Home, but can upgrade to 10 Pro for a nominal fee (not the full price of 10 Pro) - what you are REALLY upset about is that it's not free.

My mom is in a similar pickle - she has 8.1 Core on her AIO, but can either stick with 10 Home (free for her) or pay a nominal fee and go with 10 Pro or Enterprise (both support Hyper-V, and her AIO is driven by a current-generation i3); however, Hyper-V (and most of the Pro/Enterprise feature set) fits her usage as much as a third arm would.

Alternatively, all those 7 HP users can join the Insider Program and get 10130 (either Pro or Enterprise) NOW, and thus be guaranteed of getting the apropos (for them) Pro or Enterprise GA on July 29th.  (There IS more than one way of skinning the meow, folks.)

The Insider Program is still adding people - and won't be going away - even after GA.

Back then we didn't all own USB drives and NASes with more storage space than a literal mountain of VHS tapes (that cost less than a modest shelf full of VHS tapes/DVDs).

And, for performance reasons, the only DVDs I buy these days are pre-burned studio movies or programs/applications - otherwise, I prefer using USB sticks for file-transfer/OS installs.  (I've used USB sticks to load Windows initially on both notebooks, and for clean installs on those same notebooks, that is what I STILL use; number of DVDs I used throughout the entire Windows Insider program - none.  And that is despite my desktop - and both notebooks - including DVD burners; in fact, both notebooks support LightScribe AND DL DVDs - an advantage of being HP notebooks.)

I have 8.1 Core, came on my laptop, and can't afford to upgrade to pro. So it looks like I'm screwed. I'd rather have pro any day of the week. :(

You could opt in to the insider program, download the iso, and clean install the pro version. Then when it RTMs you will get the pro final.