Here Are the Features Windows 10 Will Remove When You Upgrade

The overwhelming majority of consumers don't delay individual updates.  This is a totally niche activity and it's not unreasonable to limit it to pro versions of Windows.  For those complaining, you can either buy pro or lose control over updates.  It's not that big a deal and it's certainly not worth complaining about.  Personally, I prefer to have more computers patched than to give a few people an ability they don't really need.

It is not for you to judge what is or is not worth me complaining about. Anyone can say that about anyone else. Also, if I think I need an ability then I have that right. Especially if I already have that ability and it is simply being taken away that is of no benefit to me. 

If your Microsoft, you want people to be able to help themselves as much as possible. You don't want people going out on Twitter and b*** and saying how bad Windows 10 is. You get too many of those Tweets, Retweets, it starts trending, and pretty soon everyone is going to be looking at it.

If Microsoft had a history where Updates were seamless this would not be questioned. I've been on too many threads and read too many articles, though, where people have been having trouble. Heck they've even had Genuine Advantage trouble recently. You want a nightmare? That's a nightmare!

• Like 2

So far , I've not seen any discussion of what on any site as to the following::  Say one allows the auto-upgrade to Windows 10. If after trying it for a period of time and the user decides that they don't want to keep Win10, will it be a simple process of "undoing" the MS update OR would one have to wipe the drive clean and reinstall Win 7 / 8.1 ?

It is not for you to judge what is or is not worth me complaining about. Anyone can say that about anyone else. Also, if I think I need an ability then I have that right. Especially if I already have that ability and it is simply being taken away that is of no benefit to me. 

If your Microsoft, you want people to be able to help themselves as much as possible. You don't want people going out on Twitter and b*** and saying how bad Windows 10 is. You get too many of those Tweets, Retweets, it starts trending, and pretty soon everyone is going to be looking at it.

If Microsoft had a history where Updates were seamless this would not be questioned. I've been on too many threads and read too many articles, though, where people have been having trouble. Heck they've even had Genuine Advantage trouble recently. You want a nightmare? That's a nightmare!

Of course there's a benefit to you.  More people running patched versions of Windows means fewer problems for everyone.  I also struggle to believe that the small number of people that want to micro-manage updates on Windows Home installations is likely to lead to anything trending on social media. 

I always set my PCs to update automatically and I've never run into any trouble (other than the odd automatic reboot at an inconvenient time).  For those rare cases where updates have cause problems, as others have pointed out, patches will now be tested by fast ring insiders before being pushed out to everyone else so they will be tested in the wild before being pushed out to your PC.   

At the end of the day, if the ability to delay updates is that important to you then you can just use a Pro edition. 

• Like 2

Of course there's a benefit to you.  More people running patched versions of Windows means fewer problems for everyone.  I also struggle to believe that the small number of people that want to micro-manage updates on Windows Home installations is likely to lead to anything trending on social media. 

I always set my PCs to update automatically and I've never run into any trouble (other than the odd automatic reboot at an inconvenient time).  For those rare cases where updates have cause problems, as others have pointed out, patches will now be tested by fast ring insiders before being pushed out to everyone else so they will be tested in the wild before being pushed out to your PC.   

At the end of the day, if the ability to delay updates is that important to you then you can just use a Pro edition. 

I have auto update on a few of those computers that I work with or support but I don't want to give up that feature because I have had issues (even recently) with patches causing issues too so there are a few people's computers I have limited updates (so I can watch them), and I'm not going to tell someone to spend more money for pro when at the end of the day they can stick with 7 or 8.1.

The not being about to defer updates thing, I think thats just someone talking out of their ass again. Seriously that would cause all kinds of hell if you could not say no to updates, especially the way they been breaking stuff lately.

The not being about to defer updates thing, I think thats just someone talking out of their ass again. Seriously that would cause all kinds of hell if you could not say no to updates, especially the way they been breaking stuff lately.

• Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications

uh heck no to mandatory updates, at least in the pro version you can still pick..... I do so much software testing with development that I have to be able to apply updates one at a time.. I can't imagine how much stuff could break with mandatory updates if an update breaks your code...

WMC yeah it should of died off a while ago...

DVD playback, honestly when was the last time you watched a DVD on your system?

CD/DVD Recording (not on the list but just a point), when was the last time you recoded a CD/DVD?

Floppy Drive - this one speaks for its self....

Think the auto update is quite a silly mistake. Home users will be the ones with the least knowledge when something goes wrong. This could be a huge PR blunder, one that could destroy trust. I understand that we need to get users up to date but MS are not good enough at this yet - it's inevitably going to go wrong :-(

Think the auto update is quite a silly mistake. Home users will be the ones with the least knowledge when something goes wrong. This could be a huge PR blunder, one that could destroy trust. I understand that we need to get users up to date but MS are not good enough at this yet - it's inevitably going to go wrong :-(

By and far this is what is going on for home users already.  All of the home users I know have it automatically apply windows updates.

Plus side very very few issues caused by an update.

It`s going to be fun when one of the AV`s flag an update as potentally malicious :uberhump: I know they should be signed and all Microsoft signed software should be whitelisted but sometimes the files within aren`t...

Not sure I like the sound of that. :unsure: I kinda like being able to manage Windows Updates.

Knowing that there may be a broken update coming on... This is a must have setting

Have had Windows update run automatically since Windows 7, never had an issue with an update. This was when MS did not have a fast track to test the updates with, now they have that I doubt there will be any large scale problems.

Does anyone have a list of differences between Windows 10 and Windows 10 Pro?

me too, I don't want MS to tell what to update, I don't want every single MS update.

For the record, you can still install 'desktop gadgets revived' and still have all your favorite gadgets running on the desktop with Windows 10.

Same, kinda thinking about just keeping 8.1 or 7 on computers other than the one I will have  Pro on, not sure I like the idea of not having the control over the updates.

Upgrade to the pro version then?  If you're modifying windows update settings then that makes you "pro". :p

Microsoft is obviously removing Media Center ...but no mention of Windows Media Player, which is still available....if not with RTM, at least there are all kinds of media players available..... I can see issues with glitchy updates rendering "home versions" with limited use till MS fixes an update...those with "home" will not be able to delay "glitchy updates" till MS has had a chance to fix them...another reason for those with "home" to pay the little extra to go from "home" to "pro"  :)

I can see issues with glitchy updates rendering "home versions" with limited use till MS fixes an update...those with "home" will not be able to delay "glitchy updates" till MS has had a chance to fix them...another reason for those with "home" to pay the little extra to go from "home" to "pro"  :)

Yeah, you need to read about how MS plans to move the updates, testing the first with Fast Ring Insiders.

On the flip side, who are the users that get the most infections, especially due to not updating their machines?

Home users.

Knowing that there may be a broken update coming on... This is a must have setting

Which means you probably are not a typical home user. Get Pro.

They don't update, and they don't read about updates that break.

I'll bite...

I manage 2 computers at home, I do "support" (as someone calls it) to my friends and family, and I'm the IT guy at my small start up company.. Out of all these PCs I have turned off automatic updates on 2 (two) systems. 

Both of those computers are servers where uptime is critical so we want to do updates in our own time. 

A total of 0 (zero) times have there been anyone contacting me about troubles with their Windows update going wild and breaking things. Not even the old granny who live next door has had a problem that her computer updates automatically. 

I found the whole argument that the uneducated will now be the test subject for new patches rather silly. Most people who know nothing about computers accept recommended settings and then promptly forgets about it. The big incident with the never ending boot loop was the first in a long long time that affected more than a couple of random computers. And even then it was fixed even before most automatic updates had time to run.

Remember, a lot of casual PC users won't even have their computer on to run updates every 2nd Tuesday of the month, and probably won't run the update until any 0-day flaws have been ironed out anyway. 

Now, you can argue all you want that you need to disable updates because you are a developer, or your moms best friends brother in law once had a computer that crashed during patch tuesday, but then you clearly aren't in the demographics for using the Home edition, and you should just go for the Pro instead of calling this the thing that will kill Windows.

Now, DVD and Bluray players still exist, and for free too, so no big problem there, same with built in Floppy support, which still will work with vendor drivers. 

• Like 3

Precisely my point.

I've already addressed the "you don't have a right to complain" question so I'll move on.

Microsoft used to have different versions of Windows just like they do now. In today's parlance, the offer would be a Home version and a Pro version.

What they did was to put just enough features in the Pro version so that you didn't really want the Home version. You really wanted the Pro version because those features were neat enough that you were willing to shell out the few extra bucks for them.

That's what I want. I want MS to give me a reason to upgrade by offering more features, not by taking them away. I haven't seen the differences in features between Home and Pro but am eagerly awaiting the comparison.

Upgrade to the pro version then?  If you're modifying windows update settings then that makes you "pro". :p

Sooo pay more for a feature I already have....

*I have Windows 7 Ultimate on 2 of my computers but I'm not shelling out extra $$ just so I can update the others.

Plus I have a few people computers I work on (not for work but personal favors that have to watch it because I've had Windows update cause issues with them before) and another I manually update for him because he only has a hotspot (limited gigs) so I update for him on my connection.

*don't think I'm going to go to them and say hay you get a free "upgrade for window 10 but need to shell out a extra 99$ if you want it not to break anything, but hay now you can use the window store...

what are power users doing using home edition? you have no reason to complain

Power user =/= rich

Get a clue.

The Windows 10 Home Edition forced update's is not that bad, the average "home user" needs protecting from themselves, so forcing the latest security updates to be installed would be helping the majority of people. This certainly benefits the majority of the user base this edition is targeted at.

Windows Updates. This is the most interesting one. In previous Windows versions, you could control how updates were installed. But those with Windows 10 Home will have updates from Windows Update made available automatically. Only Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will be able to defer updates.

Does this mean they will automatically installed or you will get told there are updates available.