Here Are the Features Windows 10 Will Remove When You Upgrade

Hopefully, they allow some tweaking to the automatic updates. I like being able to have it download but install when I want. What if I am doing something and then it wants to restart? Kicks me out of a game or movie or project...ugh.

Guys acting like no DVD playback is something new, they took out native DVD playback in Windows 8, you had to download it again, it all it did was add support to WMP.  You don't need it in the OS anymore, all you need is to get a BD/DVD player app, either one that comes with your device, because OEMs like installing them anyways, or through the store, like installing vlc or some other one.  It's hardly a loss in any major sense of the word.

As for automatic updates, need a few more details on that one but from what they've said, the preview program is still going to be around, home users are going to get updates automatically AFTER they've been through testing in the program, it's a case of fast/slow ring still, with consumers not int he program being the slow ring now.  I wouldn't worry about future updates breaking and causing havoc because they'll be tested way more compared to before. 

And in most cases, updates will just be the normal security patches every month, not like brand new features will show up out of nowhere all the time going forward.

Not wanting to offend anyone but:

If you are running Home versions of Windows you probably never used WU manually anyway and had it set to "automatically downloadand install windows updates" already

About DVD playback, it is the yar 2015. Who on earth still has a physical drive and inserts a DVD on a PC to watch a movie? Even the phrase "insert a DVD movie on a PC" echoes history

• Like 3

Not wanting to offend anyone but:

If you are running Home versions of Windows you probably never used WU manually anyway and had it set to "automatically downloadand install windows updates" already

Yeah, it'd be interesting to see the overlap of "People who want manual control over system updates" and "People running the entry level version of their OS".

Because honestly I don't think it's very much, outside of some very niche cases I can't see a reason to turn off auto-updates.

I don't think some of you are understanding why removing controllable updates on the Home edition is a bad thing. So I'll give you a list:

1) Because there are faulty updates.

2) People who know a bit more about computers will have one of two devices with the Home editions. 

3) It's mainly a computer OS, which usually has unrestricted freedom.

4) Removing a feature that was already available in the previous version of the edition seems like a weird choice to me.

5) And last but least, those damn driver updates you find on Windows Update. They tend to be a hit or miss most of the time.

Enough said.

Credit goes to The_Decryptor for linking the tweet on Neowin IRC.

Didn't some cars have a way to disable the airbag in the passenger side?

Floppy drive support. If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the hardware maker

Enough said.

Credit goes to The_Decryptor for linking the tweet on Neowin IRC.

I wonder, do airbags cause your car to crash from time to time?

Gotta love stupid car analogies. /s

• Like 3

The sort of people moaning about the lack of update control on the home version should really be using the pro version. 

The home version is aimed at people who do not want to have to micromanage every update that comes in.

MS removing this option from home users is going to lead to a much more secure system in place than trying to educate the users ever would.

I'd also imagine there will be a time shift in place between pro getting the updates, and home users getting the updates, just i case of a balls up in an update.

I wonder, do airbags cause your car to crash from time to time?

Actually my car had to go in to the garage twice because of faulty airbags, i get your point though.

So, I have to ask.. Even if WMC is removed, will I still be able to use it on the XBOX360/One? Or will I have to move to PLEX Media Center? If that's the case, I'm going to be ######.

The sort of people moaning about the lack of update control on the home version should really be using the pro version. 

The home version is aimed at people who do not want to have to micromanage every update that comes in.

MS removing this option from home users is going to lead to a much more secure system in place than trying to educate the users ever would.

I'd also imagine there will be a time shift in place between pro getting the updates, and home users getting the updates, just i case of a balls up in an update.

Actually my car had to go in to the garage twice because of faulty airbags, i get your point though.

Only issue I see here is, the people that have Pro and know how to micromanage their updates are the one that are going to be able to find issues first and report and recover from them, and the ones with Home that have no control over updates will be the ones that get hit the hardest.

So we're saying the pro users can put off their updates and see if the home users get hosed first?  (seems like MS is just forcing home users to be beta testers for the Pro and enterprise users.)

Only issue I see here is, the people that have Pro and know how to micromanage their updates are the one that are going to be able to find issues first and report and recover from them, and the ones with Home that have no control over updates will be the ones that get hit the hardest.

So we're saying the pro users can put off their updates and see if the home users get hosed first?  (seems like MS is just forcing home users to be beta testers for the Pro and enterprise users.)

As mentioned in my post, i'd imagine there'd be a delay from release to pro users, to the time home users get it pushed through.

At the end of the day,this is likely to cause less issues with bodged updates than the issues that are caused by incompetent users having critical updates turned off.

As mentioned in my post, i'd imagine there'd be a delay from release to pro users, to the time home users get it pushed through.

At the end of the day,this is likely to cause less issues with bodged updates than the issues that are caused by incompetent users having critical updates turned off.

most Incompetent users I know (and I know a few) don't mess with the default update settings (not even sure where to find it), if it's off it was a malware or virus,  and my guess there still will be that issues popping up, sure MS will try and stop it but the malware and virus writers are a persistent bunch.

There is nothing really in Windows 10 which  I want so It won't be coming on my systems. I am not sure why any sane person, who is not a MS fanboy, will handover their computer at the mercy of MS. Mandatory updates, wow. What if some one really does not want to download their bloated updates for whatever reasons. 

Regular consumers don't care about Windows Update, hell most of them barely know about it let alone perform regular updates like you are supposed to do. For Mom and Pop, this is the best thing to happen so Microsoft can ensure their machine is up to date.

Don't like it? Its pretty simple: get a Windows 8.1 Pro Upgrade and go to Windows 10 Pro. Can't do so for x or y reason? Too bad, shouldn't have got a machine without pro on it to begin with. Basically if you consider yourself a "techie" and are a part of Neowin's forums as an active contributor and don't have a Pro licensed Windows OS, the only person you are fooling is yourself...

Hmm.. so you want to buy me a windows 8.1 upgrade then? Because I'll gladly take a pro license if I don't have to shell out a hundred bucks for it.

most Incompetent users I know (and I know a few) don't mess with the default update settings (not even sure where to find it), if it's off it was a malware or virus,  and my guess there still will be that issues popping up, sure MS will try and stop it but the malware and virus writers are a persistent bunch.

I wish that was the case here. I can't count the amount of times i've gone to fix a client computer only to find that they've been ignoring updates for the past few years.

the millions of the insider program, and pro users who choose to will receive and test the updates first before they are pushed out to home users.

• Like 2

I would like to ask a question for some advice.

I currently run Windows 7 Home Premium(SP1). I checked on Windows Anytime Upgrade and they list a price for the upgrade to Windows 7 Pro version to be ~$89.00.

My question is, would it be more cost effective for me to go ahead and upgrade to Windows 7 Pro before upgrading to Windows 10? 

I wish that was the case here. I can't count the amount of times i've gone to fix a client computer only to find that they've been ignoring updates for the past few years.

I have no issue with it being the default setting (hell that's a good idea IMO) but I think it's still a feature that should not be lost for some people (or not have to pay extra to keep it)

I would like to ask a question for some advice.

I currently run Windows 7 Home Premium(SP1). I checked on Windows Anytime Upgrade and they list a price for the upgrade to Windows 7 Pro version to be ~$89.00.

My question is, would it be more cost effective for me to go ahead and upgrade to Windows 7 Pro before upgrading to Windows 10? 

I think I seen it was a 99$ upgrade to go from 10 home to 10 pro (but if that could change before release is anyone's guess).

the millions of the insider program, and pro users who choose to will receive and test the updates first before they are pushed out to home users.

Can we be sure be sure after 10 goes live that that many will stick to the insider program?

Edited by Dadwen

Why do so many of you still want to micro manage your updates? It makes no sense to me!

I've let Windows Update run on all my machines for over 3 years now and have had not a single problem

But if you want to do that, you still have the option with the PRO version, Home is for everybody else

Because they're 'power users', i.e., they know much more than anyone at Microsoft.  

Because they're 'power users', i.e., they know much more than anyone at Microsoft.  

We know enough that MS does not always get the patches right (even MS can't run every type of hardware and software package out there before hand to test if the patches break anything) and we know not everyone has unlimited bandwidth all the time, and sometimes like to schedule downloads at certain times.

• Like 3