Here Are the Features Windows 10 Will Remove When You Upgrade

Regular consumers don't care about Windows Update, hell most of them barely know about it let alone perform regular updates like you are supposed to do. For Mom and Pop, this is the best thing to happen so Microsoft can ensure their machine is up to date.

Don't like it? Its pretty simple: get a Windows 8.1 Pro Upgrade and go to Windows 10 Pro. Can't do so for x or y reason? Too bad, shouldn't have got a machine without pro on it to begin with. Basically if you consider yourself a "techie" and are a part of Neowin's forums as an active contributor and don't have a Pro licensed Windows OS, the only person you are fooling is yourself...

Learn to read dude.  Look at what I was quoting. 

You post about it in every Windows 10 thread. No. One. Cares.  That's why Microsoft removed it, because no one used it.  They said "hey let's get rid of the legacy crap that no one uses and is bogging down the OS"

It's about damn time. 

Wrong quote, but still stands.... "why don't you?" because that's not the upgrade path most consumer home systems support. Duh.

Wrong quote, but still stands.... "why don't you?" because that's not the upgrade path most consumer home systems support. Duh.

Most consumers don't pick and choose what updates they install and shouldn't because they're too stupid to know the difference. 

If you want the ability, install pro.

Regular consumers don't care about Windows Update, hell most of them barely know about it let alone perform regular updates like you are supposed to do. For Mom and Pop, this is the best thing to happen so Microsoft can ensure their machine is up to date.

Don't like it? Its pretty simple: get a Windows 8.1 Pro Upgrade and go to Windows 10 Pro. Can't do so for x or y reason? Too bad, shouldn't have got a machine without pro on it to begin with. Basically if you consider yourself a "techie" and are a part of Neowin's forums as an active contributor and don't have a Pro licensed Windows OS, the only person you are fooling is yourself...

I have over 8 computers and no way I'm going to buy Pro for all of them. (got 2 copies of the family 3 packs Premium)

*I really don't want to deal not having update control options on the dozen of computers I support for friends and family too.

For all the people complaining about Windows updates, you probably have pro anyway so there's nothing to worry about it. If you don't have pro, why don't you?

You and maybe 1 other person cares. Keep beating that drum though.

I have 8.1 Core, came on my laptop, and can't afford to upgrade to pro. So it looks like I'm screwed. I'd rather have pro any day of the week. :(

I have over 8 computers and no way I'm going to buy Pro for all of them. (got 2 copies of the family 3 packs Premium)

That is unfortunate for you. You elected to use a family plan to keep your licensing cheap and are now mad that your free upgrade to an equivalent edition of Windows 10 means you lose functionality. Too bad. Windows 10 Home is meant for families and is catered for consumers in-which you aren't the best fit for. They re-defined choosing and installing Windows Updates at a whim to be a power user feature and your licenses don't fit that model.

Actually, its amazing how much heat people are giving them for what they chose to do with their software product that is being handed out to you for free (if redeemed in the first year, naturally). I for one will enjoy upgrading my PRO Windows licensed computers to the edition of Windows 10 that is meant for me.

The overwhelming majority of consumers don't delay individual updates.  This is a totally niche activity and it's not unreasonable to limit it to pro versions of Windows.  For those complaining, you can either buy pro or lose control over updates.  It's not that big a deal and it's certainly not worth complaining about.  Personally, I prefer to have more computers patched than to give a few people an ability they don't really need.

Not sure I like the sound of that. :unsure: I kinda like being able to manage Windows Updates.

Home edition only. Nothing will change for power users.

Not sure I like the sound of that. :unsure: I kinda like being able to manage Windows Updates.

Yep,

That's the straw that breaks my back!

To most, it's not a big thing, but I DON'T allow automatic anything except my AV!!

I have 7 Windows 7 computers of all different varities, Pro, Home and Ultimate and whether my version is custom for anything does not matter!

Besdies,

IMO, Windows 10 blows chunks almost as bad as Windows 8/8.1! :x

I'll hang with Windows 7 until 2020 with no problems. :)

How can they have no included application for DVD playback? That's absurd, they should also be including Bluray playback.

Wonder if a list of cool features from Windows Phone being put to death will be made?

They will, it says a player will be there through the store, I'm assuming it'll be the same type of BD/DVD player that the Xbox One uses, which is also a optional download if you want it.

That is unfortunate for you. You elected to use a family plan to keep your licensing cheap and are now mad that your free upgrade to an equivalent edition of Windows 10 means you lose functionality. Too bad. Windows 10 Home is meant for families and is catered for consumers in-which you aren't the best fit for. They re-defined choosing and installing Windows Updates at a whim to be a power user feature and your licenses don't fit that model.

Actually, its amazing how much heat people are giving them for what they chose to do with their software product that is being handed out to you for free (if redeemed in the first year, naturally). I for one will enjoy upgrading my PRO Windows licensed computers to the edition of Windows 10 that is meant for me.

Oh well just keeps me from using their new product on those computer (or recommending it to others) because I want an upgrade to have the same feature the previous version had, and for Microsoft it just means less people seeing the Windows store.

Just stating why I won't put it on some computers or recommend it and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Why do so many of you still want to micro manage your updates? It makes no sense to me!

I've let Windows Update run on all my machines for over 3 years now and have had not a single problem

But if you want to do that, you still have the option with the PRO version, Home is for everybody else

• Like 3

Oh well just keeps me from using their new product on those computer (or recommending it to others) because I want an upgrade to have the same feature the previous version had, and for Microsoft it just means less people seeing the Windows store.

Just stating why I won't put it on some computers or recommend it and I'm sure I'm not alone.

You might be a techy kinda guy and want to micro manage all that stuff yourself, fine, but telling other people to not get a software update that might be good for them just because you don't like it sounds just silly to me.

It might be nice to think about the needs of those people in stead of your preference

• Like 2

Why do so many of you still want to micro manage your updates?

Cause i prefer to let people beta test updates for a week before upgrading myself. I'm a web designer my computer is part of my work so i don't want to update it day 1 i prefer to wait a week to be sure there wont be any problem.

Cause i prefer to let people beta test updates for a week before upgrading myself. I'm a web designer my computer is part of my work so i don't want to update it day 1 i prefer to wait a week to be sure there wont be any problem.

Does that still really matter with Win 10?

They will still have the Preview program, so I would assume that everything will be a lot more tested now by the fast ring before it gets pushed to all the users.

Just don't put your production machine on the Fast ring

I'm sure that since you use your computer for work you are using a pro edition of Windows, yes? Then what is the problem...?

• Like 1

Why do so many of you still want to micro manage your updates? It makes no sense to me!

I've let Windows Update run on all my machines for over 3 years now and have had not a single problem

But if you want to do that, you still have the option with the PRO version, Home is for everybody else

I delay them because I have too many things open and am too lazy to reopen everything over again.  :p  

But I agree, if you care then go with the Pro version, this whole home thing is for the best, people argued for a long time for things like IE to update automatically, why not have the version for consumers do the same?  Most people who get a new device are probably going to end up with Pro to I bet.

I'm sure that since you use your computer for work you are using a pro edition of Windows, yes? Then what is the problem...?

Yes i am. But will my pro be freely upgraded to windows 10 pro or i'll have to pay to upgrade to 10 pro?

You might be a techy kinda guy and want to micro manage all that stuff yourself, fine, but telling other people to not get a software update that might be good for them just because you don't like it sounds just silly to me.

It might be nice to think about the needs of those people in stead of your preference

I'm thinking of the fact I have to fix it, if they want auto updates and not call me fine but chances are they a going to go with what recommend because I've saved most their butts more than once(computer wise).

If they need me to fix it I prefer they not....  (and if they do upgrade I'd just give them the same answer I give people that come to me with mac, a dumb look and shrug)

(and it's not just about the auto updates it's the current "metro" version of the update give no real info or control also I have one person on limited Cell connection and I manually do the updates on my connection)

**again I it's more MS's loss than theirs just less people to see the MS store.

Yes i am. But will my pro be freely upgraded to windows 10 pro or i'll have to pay to upgrade to 10 pro?

If you have a pro version of win 7 or 8 you will get Win 10 Pro. So no issues for you

You get Pro for free.

Anyone on Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate and Windows 8.1 Pro go right to Windows 10 Pro for free.

You get Pro for free.

Anyone on Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate and Windows 8.1 Pro go right to Windows 10 Pro for free.

ok cool ty

It's like people dislike it when choice is taken away from them regardless if it is free or not. Oh well, older versions will work fine anyway.

I've let Windows Update run on all my machines for over 3 years now and have had not a single problem.

Already mentioned that other people did have problems with bootloops. You can find the news articles on the front page.