religion? fake? real?

SkolVikings
Even if organized religion was handed down from the wizard behind the curtain, it was still implemented in the way the person doing the authoring wanted as a social control, to try to make sure people didn't do bad things, if you're not scared of the law, maybe you'll be scared you'll catch a lightning bolt to the dome...

Also, when discoverers started to find things out about the world, they were called labelled lunatic/heretic/witch, and then now we use what they began to find even more...if you're trying to save your control over people, you can't have smarter people discovering things that debunk your little myths, now can you?

This isn't about whether someone choose to believe in religion or not. To me this is about whether or not God is real. And if God is real, then it isn't implausible that a God could inspire men to write scripture in an accurate way. After all, if God can create the world, it would be trivial to work through men to write the scripture accurately.

As for the time when scientists were labled heretics, etc., modern believers would argue that the church of the day wasn't following Christ's teachings. The church was akin to today's governments, and breed corruption. The church leadership were more interested in power than following Christ, and as such, tried to protect their status.

Today most Christians are just fine with science. I'm a Christian and also have a huge interest in science. I may not believe in the Big Bang, but then again, it's just a theory (and if it were some other field of science, I don't think the arguments supporting it would rise to the level of a theory, meaning because of the topic it gets more credit than I believe it deserves considering the contradictions and holes present in the theory, but that's another thread).

+virtorio

Fact is, without religion (for which our laws and such as derived from), we wouldn't have a society.

Apollo
Fact is, without religion (for which our laws and such as derived from), we wouldn't have a society.

what a joke...

fact is religion makes us bow down to a god that might not even exist!

DsnBehind

Wow. Some people in this thread need :beer: .

Monkeh

Never believed in any kind of god, and I doubt I ever will.

We could be a race created by some almighty being, but we could also be some kid's (unimaginably big :D) science experiment. Until someone can prove to me that "gods" are real, I'm staying in the neutral zone.

SkolVikings
fact is religion makes us bow down to a god that might not even exist!

What if God does exist? Hell isn't the joyride the movies make it out to be. Hold a lighter up to your pinky finger for a minute and tell me how that feels, now imagine your whole body burning forever. That doesn't sound like a fun party to me. :no: So if God is real and does exist--and I believe He does--then I want to be on His side.

What if God doesn't exist? Well I'll have lived a good life and have no regrets. I'm happy as are most Christians I know. We have a faith that helps us get through the hard times. We have a sense of purpose in our life. We feel a sense of community and belonging. If God isn't real, our way of coping with life is just as good, and I'd argue better, than anyone else's way of living.

So to me, being a Christian is a win-win proposition. If God is real as I believe He is, then I'm going to heaven when I die. If God isn't real, well at least I'm living a life that I feel has purpose.

Rell

I agree with that point. Those which call your comment a joke, obviously dont know...

I find it hard to believe that people need proof for everything, alot of times I go along with something without proof and I end up fine. No need to always need proof.

Zzz1111
err.... riiiiiiiiight.  If ya ask me, it's a whole helluva lot easier to believe in some kind of religion than in aliens.
Tru dat. :alien:
Dixon

With regards to religion, I think the whole bible was simply a best seller "back the the day" and here we have millions basing their lives on a book that was written when people thought the world was flat and the centre of the universe was where isreal is today...

No offense to those who have 'faith' and I hope I am wrong...

but I would not base my life on what Tom Clancy wrote... Even if he is a 'good read'

Ok start the onslaught of the "Burn in he|| Dixon" posts... :devil:

Meshuggah

Ok, I need to reply as well....

Think about all this....There are clinical test where people complaining of an illness will be tested...some will be given real medicine and others placebos...and in some cases they get better even with the placebo...ok now you might ask why i bring this up.

this will all tie in together towards the end

Now people believe in religion, dont beleive in it, or aliens...there are probably more but im just naming those... People see things in the sky and report it and sometimes there are shows where all they show are these "alien ships"....all of a sudden people are reporting seeing things....its either real or all just made up in your mind, an optical allusion

ok now, there are also the type of people that have made "religions" based on movies (Star Trek, Star Wars, Matrix) etc... Some of these people truly believe that this **** is real...but because of technology, a man(s)'s idea is brought to life on a screen...so most of the people that watch this realize it is fake

back then, there wasnt this type of technology, so one man(s)'s story could be passed around and people would believe it... Maybe back then someone wasnt getting the attention they wanted and started a story....people just beleived it , and no one really could say that he made it up, which then became a religion and grew and grew into an (occult?) ...we just dont look at it that way

i dont know, i kind of forgot the point, not exactly sure if this makes sense...but it is something to think about

TheElite

look, you are saying the bible is a best seller?

the Quran has been studied by many, including scientists (i have got proof). they even have said that iit definetely would have to come from a divine being.

hunter1234

i personally don't believe in religion anymore. i used to, but lost faith a long time ago. now i see it as nothing more than a crutch for the weakminded. it's just a safety net of false hopes for people to fall on.

Edited by hunter1234
Meshuggah

yes, pretty much ;) ...i didnt say you had to agree with me, im just telling you what i personally think

Kasandoro
no u guys got it wrong, what i am trying to ask is do you guys believe that religion is real or is just an excuse to explain the unknown. i don't care about what kind of religion, but religion as a general catagory

You are absolutely right. No one is wrong, and everyone is right in this argument. The reasoning for that is since everyone has a belief (opinion), they will believe what they believe. I do feel that everyone needs something to believe in, whether it's an All-Mighty Supreme Being (God, Buddha, etc.), or the theories of Science. Human nature, if nothing else, has taught us that people MUST have some kind of belief to survive.

And about the aliens...well, to quote Jodie Foster in Contact, "It's pretty arrogant for us to believe we're the only ones out there...seems like an awful waste of space to me." (or something along those lines). Besides, just because "God created the Heavens and the Earth", what's to say he didn't create another planet? The earthen people (tring to stay away from Earthlings here) wouldn't need to know "back in the day."

Now. I'm done thinking deeply....my brain hurts!

--Kas :wacko:

Edited by Kasandoro
Kasandoro
What if God does exist? Hell isn't the joyride the movies make it out to be. Hold a lighter up to your pinky finger for a minute and tell me how that feels, now imagine your whole body burning forever. That doesn't sound like a fun party to me. :no: So if God is real and does exist--and I believe He does--then I want to be on His side.

What if God doesn't exist? Well I'll have lived a good life and have no regrets. I'm happy as are most Christians I know. We have a faith that helps us get through the hard times. We have a sense of purpose in our life. We feel a sense of community and belonging. If God isn't real, our way of coping with life is just as good, and I'd argue better, than anyone else's way of living.

So to me, being a Christian is a win-win proposition. If God is real as I believe He is, then I'm going to heaven when I die. If God isn't real, well at least I'm living a life that I feel has purpose.

Sorry to double-post, but I had to second SkolVikings' post. I am a Christian, and feel the same as you do dude.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

--Kas

bryzoid89

It's so easy to prove that God exists....

SkolVikings
You are absolutely right.  No one is wrong, and everyone is right in this argument.  The reasoning for that is since everyone has a belief (opinion), they will believe what they believe.

Wrong! Either Jesus Christ is really God or He isn't. Either Allah is really god or he isn't. Etc... People can believe whatever they want to believe, but something is true and the rest isn't. Either God is real, or Allah is real, or there is no god at all, etc. When we die something is going to happen (even if that something is nothing).

YaZoR

There is/are no god(s).

Religion; A creation of the human mind for which it craved to know "Where did we come from, where did it all start?"

And so was created to answer that question, with no rock-solid proof whatsoever.

www.christianburner.com is a good site for info about how the Christian beliefs in a "god" is flawed.

The closest I can resemble a "god", would be nature itself. "It" has no conscience, no thinking, no mercy, "it" is nothing more than pure physics/chemistry/biology, "it" is the way things work.

This is what I have concluded over the many years of arguing about religion. Because there is no proof doesn't mean it isn't true, correct. But that is all that it seems to boil down to for the people who choose to believe in such a rediculously absurd fantasy tale.

frankyOrdeal

I am a Christian too...and its easier to believe that a mighty and powerful being (God) created the earth and everything else out of nothing. Its harder to believe than from nothing...and with no reason...the big bang occurred and with some luck earth and the rest of what we know was created.

Dixon

YEP I am saying the Biible WAS a best seller... Muslims and the Koran... I know little of... So I dont mock what I dont know...and If i am going to offend anyone... it will be people I know... I was brought up in catholic school and have read the bible and studied Catholic religon... ergo I can poke fun at the bible and the writing skills of matt, marc, luc and jon...

Also how the Church says everything has to stay the same even after 2000 years.,.. hahaha what a joke....

I believe when we die we ROT... lights out it is over... so make the most of it while you are here...

If I am wrong... GREAT... AWESOME... but I doubt I am and I am not counting on an afterlife...

So if you need something to help you days go by... a crutch to keep your spirits up... maybe religon is for you....

:pinch: waiting for he reacton for hte freakishly catholic HAHAHA

scoult01
Surah an-Nur verse 31 reads:

And say to the faithful women to lower their gazes, and to guard their private parts, and not to display their beauty except what is apparent of it, and to extend their headcoverings (khimars) to cover their bosoms, and not to display their beauty except to their husbands.

So its like a lucky dip? and you find out when you marry her?

YaZoR
I am a Christian too...and its easier to believe that a mighty and powerful being (God) created the earth and everything else out of nothing. Its harder to believe than from nothing...and with no reason...the big bang occurred and with some luck earth and the rest of what we know was created.

and god had a reason to create everything? prove it

Xylene

I personally don't believe in any religion, but I am not even going to get into it.

Dixon
its easier to believe that a mighty and powerful being (God) created the earth and everything else out of nothing. Its harder to believe than from nothing...and with no reason...the big bang occurred and with some luck earth and the rest of what we know was created.

How do you figure that it is easy to believe that a GOD created earth rather than the big bang theory...

I dunno I think Steven Hawking could argue circles around the pope...

that's thats, what i think...

bryzoid89
and god had a reason to create everything? prove it

Easy. He wanted to see how many sissies out there would be too afraid to believe him, because they wanted to be lazy.