religion? fake? real?

Kasandoro
Wrong! Either Jesus Christ is really God or He isn't. Either Allah is really god or he isn't. Etc... People can believe whatever they want to believe, but something is true and the rest isn't. Either God is real, or Allah is real, or there is no god at all, etc. When we die something is going to happen (even if that something is nothing).

Whoops...I see the flaw in my logic, Skol. I think I meant when I said "No one is wrong, and everyone is right in this argument" that everyone believes thy are right, and always will, hence being called a "belief."

And, at death, you are right again. Something does happen, even if it is nothing. Just like the old saying "you're always somewhere, even if you're nowhere..."

--Kas

lostspyder

Heres somehting intresting, where in physics does it allow for any free will? Think about it, two tiny subatomic particles can bounce one and only one way off each other with a perfectly elastic colision. Our bodies are a sumnation of these tiny subatomic particles, and there colisions, which produce chemicals that make nurons fire and arms move. It is then reasonable that the universe was 'set up' from the very beggining to be this way.

frankyOrdeal

When i said that the big bang ocurred with no reason...i meant that...there was nothing...nothing at all...nad the *PUFF* Big Bang...and the earth and everything else ocurred..."i don't know the reason of our existence...But what I know for sure is that I find hard to believe in theses and other theories

I find easier to believe that I mighty being is out there who created everything...and we are so insignificant that we can't understand why....

By the way Yazor...i never said that God had a reason to created us...so your question is irrelevant...

SkolVikings
I believe when we die we ROT...  lights out it is over... so make the most of it while you are here...

If I am wrong... GREAT...  AWESOME...  but I doubt I am and I am not counting on an afterlife...

If you're wrong, and if you don't believe in Jesus, then BAD for you. Hell is no party. If the Christian God is real, then the Bible is true. If the Bible is true, then if 'you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.' (Romans 10:9)

If you become saved, your name is recorded in what the Bible calls the "book of life." However "if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire." (Revalation 20:15)

The bible makes it clear that everyone is not automatically going to heaven. Everyone has an opportunity to go to heaven, but it requires a belief and faith in Jesus Christ as Lord. (http://www.needhim.org/)

SkolVikings
Whoops...I see the flaw in my logic, Skol. I think I meant when I said "No one is wrong, and everyone is right in this argument" that everyone believes thy are right, and always will, hence being called a "belief."

And, at death, you are right again. Something does happen, even if it is nothing. Just like the old saying "you're always somewhere, even if you're nowhere..."

Ok, we're on the same page. As I think you're saying, beliefs are beliefs and people are welcome to their own.

At the same time, there is fact and fantasy, real and not real, right and wrong. I do not subscribe to the notion of pluralism. Either something is or it isn't.

Ex_Nihilo

If there is a effect, there must be a cause. If there is an end, there must be a beginning. If we rely on laws to govern our universe, we must accept the existence of one who made those laws.

Why do I believe in God?

Life wouldn't make sense otherwise.

+virtorio
what a joke...

fact is religion makes us bow down to a God that might not even exist!

I hope you enjoy you stay in hell then.

Just think, if God does exist you are going to feel pretty stupid when your "time is up".

I don't think their is anything wrong with not believing in God, as it is the choice of the person (I even have some friends who practise witchcraft) but to dismiss the subject as a joke is beyond pathetic.

Edited by virtorio
DsnBehind

Please, don't quote the Bible. :sleep:

Rell

ZAnwar, the same can be said about the bible, scientists have done studies relating to the bible...

Take this story about the red sea...

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20040202/redsea.html

DsnBehind, no where in the rules does it say we cannot quote from the bible, so, I believe your request will be denied... :cool:

YaZoR, that christian burner site was a great attempt at swaying folks away, but, true christians will always believe and have faith. Sorry. :)

Edited by 802.11
Spyntek
With regards to religion, I think the whole bible was simply a best seller "back the the day" and here we have millions basing their lives on a book that was written when people thought the world was flat and the centre of the universe was where isreal is today...

No offense to those who have 'faith' and I hope I am wrong...

but I would not base my life on what Tom Clancy wrote... Even if he is a 'good read'

Ok start the onslaught of the "Burn in he|| Dixon" posts... :devil:

The Bible in my opinion was written as a guidebook for future generatons in how to lead productive, fruitful lives whereby everyone is treated with the same amount of respect and generosity as they would treat their whole family. As far as the validity of the stories contained within is a different matter. I believe that these stories, some of which may be unbelievable in today's society, were a way to explain what happens in nature that we explain today with science, just as Greek mythology explained the same things.

I do believe in a higher power, however it is a being that has transcended physical form, a non-corporeal form and exists as pure energy. This may surprise some of you judging from what I have wrtten previously that I do believe that evolution and creation theories can co-exist. I believe that if "God" did have someone write Genesis that it was written in way that people of that era could understand and that "God" left out a few details becasue people of that era would have not understood evolution. "God" set the seeds of life on this planet and it evolved in the way it has.

post-92-1076897811.jpg

Chode

Many times I think that only the Buddhists have got it right....

They seem to be the only religion that isn't constantly trying to prove to others that they are right.

By arguing which religion is correct, ask yourself who are you really trying to convince: Others or yourself.

In my own opinion, the only ones who go to hell are those who believe it is in their own power to condemn others to eternal suffering.....and George Bush.

TheElite
So its like a lucky dip? and you find out when you marry her?

what? :huh:

altermind

I think religion was the responce to all the unknowns... like lightning.... earthquakes.. u know the deal....

NJ Louch

Religion is a choice. Personally it's not my cup of tea, but to dismiss something that the majority of the world subscribes to is stupid.

I am not talking about religionS (Christianity, Judaism, etc) I mean the idea of any Religion. It is 100% real to the people who follow it.

StuRReaL

hehe well heres my take on it.

Firstly think about when religion started, people were primitive and ignorant (relative to us) so think about it. How to control the masses? people are always wondering what comes after death if anything!!, if u tell someone that if they do wrong they will goto horrible place once they die the masses will follow.

So if someone finds a way explain the unexplainable then the ignorant masses will believe, so what could have started as a method to control and a way of creating order from chaos for the masses becomes a way of life and worshiping of an entity which may or maynot exist.

The bible and all of the holy books all derive from one place or book, if u read several of these books u can draw similarities, in there teachings and stories the main differences are the people involved and animals etc are different and the languages.

So they probably all came from the same place, and what started off as way of teaching order somewhere got fractured and created various groups which later got bent further into fanaticism (religion)

NB: I mean no offence to people who live there lives by religion :) i'm merely expressing my views on how i think such a thing came to pass. Just always keep an open mind, oh one more thing....If someone can proove the god thing beyond all reasonable doubt then i'll believe :)

Schmoove

It is a nice subject to think about.

Personally I don't believe in a god. I also find it hard to believe that we are the only ones in the universe, though if we are not alone then there must be some other "civilization" somewhere, maybe very primitive beings... or maybe some that are far more advanced then we are.... and maybe we are indeed alone. It has to start somewhere, maybe we are indeed the first, but I think that is a very very slim chance.

There is a cult called the Ra?l Cult that claims that we are put here on earth by aliens. They are building some buildings in Isra?l to welcome these aliens in a few years. Sounds like crap to me, but you never know ofcourse... time will tell.

tr1kstanc3

religion is real because its a structured set of principals, codes, and rules. its like federal laws. religion has become an institution of social control for many.. the phrase "one nation under God" rings a bell. however, religion is different from having "faith", something not tangible.

TheElite

you might be thinking of it as a coincidence, but what happens if it is true.

just like the 2Pac conspiracy, 2Pac was prolly hiding messages, but what happened if he DID really die.

scoult01

ZAnwar, i mean that if the woman isnt allowed to show anything except to her husband, and since they arent actually married till the wedding is over, he will never have seen what she looks like :D

Poor poor guys...

tr1kstanc3

Science remains a critical opponent to religion?s strong conviction to the truth. Sigmund Freud, a persuasive influence from the scientific community, complicates this issue in his lecture ?A Philosophy For Life.? Freud believes religion ??gives them information about the source and origin of the universe, it assures them of protection and final happiness amid the changing vicissitudes of life, and it guides their thoughts and actions by means of precepts which are backed by the whole force of its authority.? He declares religion possesses three fundamental uses. The first he describes as religion?s ability to satisfy man?s quest for knowledge. In doing so it comes in direct competition with scientific study to achieve the same desired goals but channeled through different methodologies. The second theme is the most crucial in that religion?s influential voice ??assures them of a happy ending, and comforts them in their misfortunes, science cannot compete with that.? Science provides man with concrete answers and offers aid via awareness, prevention, and due course of action although in certain circumstances it cannot offer a comforting remedy or solution. Science does not provide hope for the inevitable. There is no concept of faith that can be hypothesized and tested to state as fact. Freud?s third declaration of religion states its moral and ethical precepts, the boundaries for which behavior is measured through the structures of restrictions and prohibitions. Science can provide a guideline for ethical conduct but its true concern is the discovery of information. Religion ultimately distances itself in this third scheme.

(Freud, Philosophy of Life)

-taken from an essay i wrote for an ethics class back in college

neoufo51
hehe well heres my take on it.

Firstly think about when religion started, people were primitive and ignorant (relative to us) so think about it. How to control the masses? people are always wondering what comes after death if anything!!, if u tell someone that if they do wrong they will goto horrible place once they die the masses will follow.

So if someone finds a way explain the unexplainable then the ignorant masses will believe, so what could have started as a method to control and a way of creating order from chaos for the masses becomes a way of life and worshiping of an entity which may or maynot exist.

The bible and all of the holy books all derive from one place or book, if u read several of these books u can draw similarities, in there teachings and stories the main differences are the people involved and animals etc are different and the languages.

So they probably all came from the same place, and what started off as way of teaching order somewhere got fractured and created various groups which later got bent further into fanaticism (religion)

NB: I mean no offence to people who live there lives by religion :) i'm merely expressing my views on how i think such a thing came to pass. Just always keep an open mind, oh one more thing....If someone can proove the god thing beyond all reasonable doubt then i'll believe :)

I'd have to agree.

Religion and all that was never real. It was basically made real by the thousands of years of study, pondering, etc. It was a way for ignorant people in the past to deal with the turbulent world around them, as well as a way to scare and/or illuminate people into less violence. Of course, that effect didnt exactly work out as people have become such zealots that they are willing to die for a god that does not exist. In fact, more people have been killed in the name of religion than any other reason in the world.

I don't mean to offend believers. I just mean what I think. I was raised catholic with pretty religious parents with hispanic and european roots and have basically turned to what I deem pseudo-agnostism. Basically, I dont believe there is a big man up there like the bible says but there are far greater forces out there much more complex than we ever thought possible. We have mysteries inside us and around us far greater than we can imagine at the moment, but its not even close to anything you read in the bible.

StuRReaL
I'd have to agree.

Religion and all that was never real. It was basically made real by the thousands of years of study, pondering, etc. It was a way for ignorant people in the past to deal with the turbulent world around them, as well as a way to scare and/or illuminate people into less violence. Of course, that effect didnt exactly work out as people have become such zealots that they are willing to die for a god that does not exist. In fact, more people have been killed in the name of religion than any other reason in the world.

I don't mean to offend believers. I just mean what I think. I was raised catholic with pretty religious parents with hispanic and european roots and have basically turned to what I deem pseudo-agnostism. Basically, I dont believe there is a big man up there like the bible says but there are far greater forces out there much more complex than we ever thought possible. We have mysteries inside us and around us far greater than we can imagine at the moment, but its not even close to anything you read in the bible.

Indeed. The other main problem is that people can bend its words to whatever meaning they want to draw from it, which is dangerous if you ask me. It interesting you should say that religion has caused more wars than any other thing in history, well yes, but think about causes come and go. Religions don't religion stays and thus gets bent and swayed off course more and so the same differences remain or the schism (love that word) increases which is why theres conflict :) but can u remove it and solve a problem?

TheElite
ZAnwar, i mean that if the woman isnt allowed to show anything except to her husband, and since they arent actually married till the wedding is over, he will never have seen what she looks like :D

Poor poor guys...

heh, tru dat :laugh:

tool

Hey, the buddhists are cool...but are they technically a religion or simply a movement. I mean, if you look at the bible literally then obviously its a pile of crap...But you have to look at it liberally and see things as symbolic.

Sure the world wasn't made in 7 days, but really the bible says 7 periods of time. Sure, it doesn't get all the orders right and not every specific details, but we have to remember that they did not have science then. Other things like yeah, there weren't just two humans in the beginning, Adam and Eve are merely symbolic.

The other part of religion is the "cult" side - like the Catholics - biggest bunch of corrupt bullsh*t artists I ever knew. They are immensly rich but there is still extreme poverty...what the hell???

Every (intelligent) Catholic I have known is now not a Catholic.

One example is this AIDS thing in Africa - the Catholics are so bent on getting their poxy views/ideology over that they have told the Africans that condoms have holes in them and that AIDS can pass through!! simply because they think there should be no forms of contraception...So millions more Africans may die because of somthing the bible says...HOLD ON this ISN'T ACTUALLY IN THE BIBLE, its in one of the CATHOLIC BOOKS.

Hmm....somethings smells a taad fishy about this....

Now, about god it is silly to ask if someone believes in God - this is because there is uncertainty of definition...Do you mean that God is some divine being (if so, what exactly do you MEAN by "divine being"??? :p)??

I do not believe "God" is a divine being...but I believe it is merely a personalisation of chance/fluke.

This would make sence if you replaced "God" with "Chance" in the bible. This would also mean that any places where it "Chance" does completely NOT fit in the place of "God", the part is a load of bullsh*t.

The Buddists really have it right.

Oh, and FYI, I am an not part of religion. I am not an atheist, as I don't disbelieve in God, I just believe that God isn't what people think it is. I respect the buddhists but am not a buddhist.

Oh..and Muslims...what the hell was Muhammed thinking saying he was the seal of Prophets - what f*ckin right does he have to take absolute power and deprive anyone else after him from doing the bullsh*t he's done?? :angry:

P.S. Satanists suck and are merely looking for an alternative to the "norm".