• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

why are people hating the shuffle and mini?

Southern Patriot    962
What I don't understand is this:

Say you buy a Mac Mini (1.42 Ghz/80GB) for $599.00. Sounds cheap right? Well, add to that an Apple keyboard and mouse (wired for + $58/wireless for + $99) and a 20-inch Cinema display (an additional $999), you're left with a base price of $1,656 - $1,697.

A bit expensive for what you'd get for that money, I think... :huh:

585313605[/snapback]

I'm so sick of people trying to make this analysis of the price. This computer is NOT marketed to people who are going to be spending $1000 on a display. It is marketed to people who are replacing another computer with the Mac mini. Those people would already have a display, keyboard, and mouse that would work with the mini. Even if the keyboard and mouse were PS/2, the most extra they would need to spend would be $10 for an adapter to use them on a USB port.

Slipdisc210    0

I realize that its only been a few days since its release. But who really gives a flying !@#$?

It's a very basic computer for a very basic price. Personally I want to do it all day, not take all day to do it.

Does size really matter? Hell there is more value in the emac.

I think to some people it does and thats fine.

But I also think if Steve Jobs released a turd in the shape of an ipod, there would be plenty to flock to it and call it a godsend.

/edit - PS2 to USB adaptors wont work. you need a USB kb & mouse

Edited by ovenmitt

BajiRav    2,137
From a reputed company or brand name ? Dont think so.  :whistle:

That is why everybody who managed to trash the iPod shuffle has avoided your question. I wouldnt blame them, cause they have nothing to back their whine up.  :laugh:

585301293[/snapback]

because everybody else used their brains and put LCD on their 512mb (even 256/128) players and that costs money...creative nomad muvo nx whose only -ve point is lack of support for iTMS is

1. easier to use

2. at about $20 costlier than "the shuffle" has a recorder/display/player

3. able to use standard rechargeable batteries

4. and as usual creative has better sound

joshpo    0
But I also think if Steve Jobs realeased a turd in the shape of and ipod. There would be plenty to flock to it and call it a godsend.

585315317[/snapback]

You're right, it was released last week and its called the iPod shuffle

Slipdisc210    0
You're right, it was released last week and its called the iPod shuffle

585315333[/snapback]

Excellent point joshpo, thanks

Hypoxiaicon    0

I agree with ovenmitt.

Anything that Apple release people seem to flock around it like flies to ****.

BajiRav    2,137

I was blown away when I first saw Mac mini..then i read the details...saw the external power supply and I'd been thinking does Apple really deserve all the praise for designing "the smallest" "Desktop" ever ?

I mean come on they've used all the notebook components they could find and pack it in a nice cubical box and call it a "desktop"

BajiRav    2,137

I was blown away when I first saw Mac mini..then i read the details...saw the external power supply and I'd been thinking does Apple really deserve all the praise for designing "the smallest" "Desktop" ever ?

I mean come on they've used all the notebook components they could find and pack it in a nice cubical box and call it a "desktop"

Marku$    0

cheap mac mini + mass production = lower standards of quality.

simple economics.

S.MULLA    8
cheap mac mini + mass production = lower standards of quality.

simple economics.

585315404[/snapback]

thats why you wait for v2 of the mac mini- so they sort out all the bugs

Tiger.Girl    1
You sir, win the unbased unintelligent troll of the day award.  Congrats, idiot.

585315203[/snapback]

post-16018-1106071760.jpg

qbie    0
thats why you wait for v2 of the mac mini- so they sort out all the bugs

585315451[/snapback]

True, and V2 will probably be out when tiger is released so no need to pay for upgrade ;)

qbie

helix23    0
Stop thinking outloud and try to put your words into coherent sentences before rambing on about things you dont know about.

A)You can use an iPod shuffle without using the shuffle feature. You have to load playlists onto it using iTunes.

B)Its not geared towards people with small music collections. Jogging with an HD player is just not the best for it.

C)If you can make do with a no-name player, then stop whining and just dont buy it.

D)A 1gig flash stick does not play music last time I checked, and was deviod of a headphone jack or an OS for that matter.

Yeesh.

585313553[/snapback]

um, this thread is called why do people hate the ipod shuffle, and i was telling him why i hate it

A) why is it called the ipod shuffle?

B&C) If all they are buying it for is jogging, they can also make do with a no name mp3 player

D) I realize that 1gig flash doesnt play music, but then again, i was stating how expensive it was

Read the thread name before you scold me for whining and "talking about things i dont know"

docvenom04    0
What I don't understand is this:

Say you buy a Mac Mini (1.42 Ghz/80GB) for $599.00. Sounds cheap right? Well, add to that an Apple keyboard and mouse (wired for + $58/wireless for + $99) and a 20-inch Cinema display (an additional $999), you're left with a base price of $1,656 - $1,697.

A bit expensive for what you'd get for that money, I think... :huh:

585313605[/snapback]

Ok, wait. Let me get this right, you are buying a $500 computer and are worrying about a $1000 monitor? You my friend, are an idiot. :yes:

Marku$    0

the shuffle is for people who dont care what they are listening to. just that they are listening to something, so that is their target market. I am keeping my ipod 20 gig, b/c i like to listen to specific songs and i keep every song i've got on it.

the drawback that i see about the mac mini is that apple is now targeting the budget users, and they may be great for the stock, i just can't agree that it is a good move. they will have to sacrifice quality to appease the orders that they will recieve. V2 V3 or V100 is not going to change that.

xmr    0
I'm so sick of people trying to make this analysis of the price.  This computer is NOT marketed to people who are going to be spending $1000 on a display.  It is marketed to people who are replacing another computer with the Mac mini.  Those people would already have a display, keyboard, and mouse that would work with the mini.  Even if the keyboard and mouse were PS/2, the most extra they would need to spend would be $10 for an adapter to use them on a USB port.

585315285[/snapback]

Back in October I spent something like > $1200 on a 20" display yet I'm interested in buying a Mac Mini :cool:

The form factor is the most important factor really for me. Well and the fact that I can get back to OS X :rofl: after selling my Powerbook last year :wacko:

Catharsis    0

I don't know why people would hate the shuffle. Some people who encode at low bit rates and only need a few songs or albums that work out might find it easier.

I DO understand why people, including myself, think the iPod Mini is pointless. Before I list my reasons keep in mind the 20GB iPod is $300 and the 4GB iPod Mini is $250.

1. 4GB vs. 20GB -- $50 price difference???

2. iPod = 2.4 x 4.1 x 0.57 inches; iPod Mini = 3.6 x 2.0 x 0.5 inches. iPod = 5.6088 cubic inches; iPod Mini = 3.6 cubic inches. While this is significant, I would think that the price would only be justified if the size were brought down to, at the most, 3 cubic inches, but that's just me.

3. While the iPod Mini is lighter in weight, look at the above reasons. It does not justify it being so close in price to the iPod.

The biggest difference for me? The 16GB deficiency of the iPod Mini. If it was $175 for the Mini, I might understand.

Catharsis    0

Alright!!! I'm a Neowin Villager!

Jesse Carlton    3

the ipod shuffle: good size storage mp3/aac music player for the price, targetted at people who want an ipod and can't afford it, or people that have an ipod but want something they can use while jogging that won't break (I personally know that if you jog with the ipod it will stop working if you change songs on the move, the hard drives are not that shock resistant, and if you drop it from more than 3 feet you void your warranty)

most mp3 cd players don't have screens, and walkmans don't, and people love those, this is no different, you want a different song just fastforward till you get something, it doesn't take a rocket scientist.

mac mini: small computer, low price != crap. anyone that knows anything about macs will tell you it's a good computer to replace an old dell or something much worse. just because there's a g5 doesn't make the g4 a tortilla chip....there's celeron's and semprons in the pc world, and the g4 is a lot more stable and can do more per clock cycle then those will..

lastly, if you don't want it, don't buy it...but complaining how it's bad cuz it's apple, or crap because it's not the same as every other thing on the market is just stupid.

Southern Patriot    962

/edit - PS2 to USB adaptors wont work. you need a USB kb & mouse

585315317[/snapback]

And just what makes you think they won't? I've used one with my iBook and with my previous PowerBook, and they work fine. Don't tell me they won't work because I know they do.

Dark_INk    0
just wondering why alot of people are complaining about the ipod shuffle and mac mini

ipod shuffle: finally, a USB mp3 player, if i had known that this was coming i wouldve bought it instead of my ipod mini

mac mini: cheapest mac ever, good solid power, u get to pick your own stuff (keyboard, screen, mouse, and speakers)

WAHTS WRONG WITH PEOPLE

585298081[/snapback]

but my ipod's a usb compatible ipod- even usb1.1.

Southern Patriot    962
Back in October I spent something like > $1200  on a 20" display yet I'm interested in buying a Mac Mini  :cool:

The form factor is the most important factor really for me. Well and the fact that I can get back to OS X  :rofl:  after selling my Powerbook last year  :wacko:

585316093[/snapback]

The point remains that you are not the target market for the mini. The primary market for the mini is people who want to replace an old Dell, HP, or whatever with a Mac.

Fonze    0
just wondering why alot of people are complaining about the ipod shuffle and mac mini

ipod shuffle: finally, a USB mp3 player, if i had known that this was coming i wouldve bought it instead of my ipod mini

mac mini: cheapest mac ever, good solid power, u get to pick your own stuff (keyboard, screen, mouse, and speakers)

WAHTS WRONG WITH PEOPLE

585298081[/snapback]

ipod shuffle:

1. USB flash based mp3 players have been arround for a while.

2. no screen. 1gb of songs and no way to navigate through them

I don't know why people complain about the mac mini. you get what you paid for, the cheapest, most barebones mac on the market. the fact that it sucks is besides the point :whistle:

Jesse Carlton    3
but my ipod's a usb compatible ipod- even usb1.1.

585317122[/snapback]

all ipods are usb 1.1 and 2.0 compatable, except for older gen's.

Jesse Carlton    3

"2. no screen. 1gb of songs and no way to navigate through them"

make a playlist before hand, or use shuffle, and then use the...oh no, wait for it, NEXT button.