why are people hating the shuffle and mini?

asdflkjsdrhthfhrhr

Removing the controls is stupid. That's just getting rid of necessary functionality.

Personally, I'd never have a use for the Shuffle. As of today, I've got 4259 songs. 120 on a player is NOT going to cut it.

And the lack of the screen wouldn't bother me. Besides, for someone who's got enough songs that a Shuffle is practical, aren't they going to have just about every song remembered by name? I sure as hell don't though, I'd have to have a better memory than God. :D

Elliott
Well, the shuffle is just a stupid idea, 'nuff said ...i can't believe you actually bought a ipod mini, that's funny...

The mini is underpowered, over priced still, and not nearly as cheap as a equally as fast PC...you'll end up paying another 100-150 on all the parts "you get to pick"  :rolleyes:  :blink:

585350147[/snapback]

I'd love to see the equally good computer. I think you're forgetting about how the mini's small form factor is also a nice selling point, something the PCs outside of building one yourself have never been able to beat without being extremely underpowered Pentiums.

unspec
Well, the shuffle is just a stupid idea, 'nuff said ...i can't believe you actually bought a ipod mini, that's funny...

The mini is underpowered, over priced still, and not nearly as cheap as a equally as fast PC...you'll end up paying another 100-150 on all the parts "you get to pick"  :rolleyes:  :blink:

585350147[/snapback]

Yes.

Obviously you'll be proved correct by the total lack of shuffle and mini sales....

QuarterSwede
Well, the shuffle is just a stupid idea, 'nuff said ...

585350147[/snapback]

It isn't a stupid idea when it is marketed toward people who are active and don't have time to look to see what song it is, espcially if they put it on there in the first place! It makes perfect sense for the target market. Just because you aren't in it doesn't mean it's a stupid idea.

The Mac mini isn't underpowered. I suppose you've never used a Powerbook. Is that underpowered? The mini is only slighty slower but it has the same FSB.

SOB BOT

It's new, it's different and it's trendy so the elitist kids consider it cool to hate

Southern Patriot
It's new, it's different and it's trendy so the elitist kids consider it cool to hate

585350401[/snapback]

You left out "it's selling very well", but otherwise, I think you hit the nail right on the head.

xxdesmus
It isn't a stupid idea when it is marketed toward people who are active and don't have time to look to see what song it is, espcially if they put it on there in the first place!  It makes perfect sense for the target market.  Just because you aren't in it doesn't mean it's a stupid idea.

The Mac mini isn't underpowered.  I suppose you've never used a Powerbook.  Is that underpowered?  The mini is only slighty slower but it has the same FSB.

585350381[/snapback]

in my opinion both the iPod Mini and the Shuffle are stupid and useless for the price you pay...as someone posted earlier there are equally priced (or cheaper) alternatives that have a screen ...as for the iPod Mini, it's basically the price of a "real" iPod ...it's jsut a massive waste of money

As for the mac mini ...underpowered, yes. Have I used a Powerbook? Yes, was I impressed, no, not really.

JagedEdge,

http://www.cappuccinopc.com/

http://www.logisysus.com/

:ninja: :cool:

unspec,

Yeah...I am glad they are holding down there 5% market share :whistle: :rolleyes:

fkid

The iPod Mini/Shuffle are perfect examples of how stupid the western world has become. If you are willing to buy a 4GB

MP3 player for around $400 (Canadian), then you are fu*king idiot. iPod Shuffle fans are such hypocrites, trying to argue with everyone who is against their 'amazing' music product no matter what they say. First of all, do you have an iPod Shuffle? Do you use it while you run and exercise? I am guessing that most of the fu*king computer-addicts on here do not 'work out' or run regularly at all. You are spending so much time on your PC that you simply do not care to do those healthy activities. Secondly, doesn't it sound a little strange to have an MP3 Player for solely exercise use? What if you would like to buy an affordable MP3 Player for all-around use? Anyways, I won't type too much and just end this post with a good analogy...

An iPod Shuffle is like a Presidential voting ballot without any names on the card, just circles to fill.

I can see it now... Someone's presidential slogan: "Life is random. Meet the President you didn't know you voted for!"

Southern Patriot

http://www.cappuccinopc.com/

http://www.logisysus.com/

:ninja:?:cool::

585351090[/snapback]

I just looked at both of the sites, and the P4 based systems they sell (they appear to both sell the same systems, just rebadged)[bstart>[/b]> at $469 without drives, processors, or memory (no mouse, keyboard, or monitor either). They are a similar form factor though, but far from being a better deal than a Mac mini.

vincent

Shuffle and mini are both overrated :sleep:

If ima buy any player im going with creative or Iriver, im not a trend ######

DELETEMYACCOUNTTTTTTTT

This thread is notihng but ignorant, rabid windows fanboys trying to come up with reasons to hate Apple now that they're taken over a market and destroyed the price point argument. So now they whine about power, failing to not that a Mac Mini obliterates any PC for an equal price.

tariq

I wouldn't buy the iPod Shuffle for myself (the cost per gigabyte is too high), but I'm getting it for my sister to replace her 128MB Samsung Yepp player that I bought for her. It cost over $200CDN when I purchased it less than a year ago.

Compared to that MP3 player, the Shuffle is amazing.

- more capacity

- lower cost, show me one decent 512MB flash player for $128CDN

- integrates with iTunes (so syncing is much easier for her)

- better battery life

- no more annoying menu interface and controls

The funny thing is, that Samsung Yepp player is in repairs at this very moment because the LCD died--how ironic is that.

Edited by tariq
leedogg
I wouldn't buy the iPod Shuffle for myself (the cost per gigabyte is too high), but I'm getting it for my sister to replace her 128MB Samsung Yepp player that I bought for her. It cost over $200CDN when I purchased it less than a year ago.

Compared to that MP3 player, the Shuffle is amazing.

- more capacity

- lower cost, show me one decent 512MB flash player for $128CDN

- integrates with iTunes (so syncing is much easier for her)

- better battery life

- no more annoying menu interface and controls

The funny thing is, that Samsung Yepp player is in repairs at this very moment because the LCD died--how ironic is that.

585351666[/snapback]

hahaha the irony is that your going to the trouble of repairing the LCD when you want to buy a player that doesnt have one anyway. I hope you're not paying too much for the repair...

I dont know if newegg ships to canada but here are equivalent mp3 players if not better than the shuffle:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc....603-502&DEPA=10

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-102-134&depa=0

unspec
Yeah...I am glad they are holding down there 5% market share  :whistle:  :rolleyes:

585351090[/snapback]

I think you're totally missing the point.

The market decides whether it's overpriced or not. So, if they sell well (and this is the important bit) in the market they were designed for then they are by definition not overpriced or underpowered.

Apple isn't out to get the biggest market share, they are out to make money. If they can get extra market share in the PC market at the same time, that's great. However you shouldn't confuse the two goals.

Just because a product does not have the features/price you want, does not mean that it is not a good product.

tariq
hahaha the irony is that your going to the trouble of repairing the LCD when you want to buy a player that doesnt have one anyway. I hope you're not paying too much for the repair...

I dont know if newegg ships to canada but here are equivalent mp3 players if not better than the shuffle:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc....603-502&DEPA=10

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-102-134&depa=0

It's being repaired on warranty and I'm going to try to sell it thereafter. The point I was trying to make is that a screen really isn't needed and a player without a screen means one less thing a careless sister can break.

Call me a brand ######, but I'd never buy that Buslink MP3 player or anything like that for something I or someone would have to use everyday (the interface probably blows and I wouldn't be surprised if it has other flaws). Not that I love paying more, a no-name budget DVD player for a second room is fine for example.

I've considered that Creative player, but it's not as cheap and comes with features that aren't needed (FM tuner and recorder).

NetRyder
And - how competitive would Apple be when they did release just another 128 MB MP3 player (to add to the zillion out there) with radio, and whatever they add these days, and sell it for the same price? (I wouldn't buy it personally)

585347534[/snapback]

"Think Different" for the sake of being different then? ;)

leedogg

If apple sold a car without a trunk around a "free of baggage" theme, I'm sure you guys would be convinced that it was the greatest thing - less weight, simpler, and *gasp* different than any other car out there. Enough. This is pointless, go ahead and get yourselves a 1 gig shuffle and listen to hours of every song but the one you actually want to at the moment because you simply cant find it. :rolleyes:

DELETEMYACCOUNTTTTTTTT

You know, I was actually waiting on you to run out fo ways to half-way legitimately bash Apple products and go after the owners. Simple fact is, if you don't have sense enough to use the fast-forward button to go through AT MOST 239 songs in less than five minutes, or make a playlist with the song you want so much at the top, then I can see how not having your hand held through everything and not having to think could put you off a product.

leedogg
You know, I was actually waiting on you to run out fo ways to half-way legitimately bash Apple products and go after the owners.? Simple fact is, if you don't have sense enough to use the fast-forward button to go through AT MOST 239 songs in less than five minutes, or make a playlist with the song you want so much at the top, then I can see how not having your hand held through everything and not having to think could put you off a product.

585352561[/snapback]

5 minutes to sample 239 songs? I dont think so. Try 239 songs x 5 secs to listen to each song (thats right because you CANT SEE IT) /60 secs = 20 mins. At the most 20 mins to find the song you're looking for. TOP??? there is no top, how do you know where the top is? YOU CANT SEE A PLAYLIST TO NAVIGATE TO THE TOP. You are at random hip hop song 1, then you are at random techno song 205, then you are at random easy listening song 142....of course these song numbers are meaningless since you really have no clue what number you are at, at any time (not that it would matter even if you did, because itunes loaded them all for you).

The pathetic excuses for apple arent working. You're going to have to keep waiting for me to run out of these legitimate ways.

Edited by leedogg
DELETEMYACCOUNTTTTTTTT

Its not only random, there is a straigh through method, and you know that you can select songs to sync, not just have iTunes arbitrarily toss music on it.

macman87

You aren't suppose to navigate through playlists! It has the functionality to Shuffle. Done. That's it. If people aren't happy with this then they can choose one out of the zillions out there that all have screens, that all have the same price point.

How many iPod Flash players would Apple sell if they made a version with a screen, basically like the zillions out there and sell it for the same price along with the other players. The fact is, a small screen with 2 or 3 lines to displays is never going to be intuitive.

People don't need screens on these small players. Its not suppose to have all you music on it - only a playlist you made, OR, shuffle. Apple is giving what MOST people want and nothing they don't want. Its cost effective for the company and the customers. They already make a full blown MP3 player - iPod, the mini, and the photo.

585350401[/snapback]

Sad, but true. I can understand why some people might want other MP3 players, which is perfectly fine, but there are some of them deliberately put down the iPod to justify that what they bought was better.

"Think Different" for the sake of being different then? ;)

585352221[/snapback]

If you want to put it that way. And wasn't a good move for the customers and themselves? Well the numbers will confirm that.

leedogg

I'm tired of arguing with you guys, if somebody is dumb enough to buy a shuffle, then they deserve what they get. Dont bitch and whine about it later though.

tariq
I'm tired of arguing with you guys, if somebody is dumb enough to buy a shuffle, then they deserve what they get.? Dont bitch and whine about it later though.

585353190[/snapback]

Don't worry, we wont. Thanks for caring though:wub::