• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

The Official NDS Homebrew Thread

The Gunslinger    9

check the first topic in this post as it contains a massive amount of info... also mind the difference between 512MegaByte (like in half a gig) and 512MegaBit (like in 'i'll say it has 512MB coz that seems a lot bigger than 128Mb' )

congrats on your purchase... you'll love it to the point of caling it 'my preciousssss' ;)

Thanks...

Yeah I almost fell for the Bit/Byte rating :blush: ...The G6 has a 4GBit memory, but thats only 512 MByte.

Btw software support sucks big time here...I mean I couldnt find FFIII or AOE 2, Mario Kart etc; and I went to like 20 stores!!! All I got was " a DS what?" I ended up getting Warioware Touched and Advance Wars DS.

I need the Supercard to get any sort of decent use out of the DS. :( :no: :(

witalit    15

I had Warioware touched loved it at first but got bored quick as its very easy to complete. Ive only just modded my DS and I am loving it.

The Gunslinger    9

yeah, Warioware Touched is very easy. Completed it within like a day. :cry:

Problem is that Nintendo is not big in this country, so there arent many stores that sell cartridges. I paid around $100 for two cartridges! Not sure if that is expensive or not. I am praying that the Wii is more available, or I will just have to get one online. :cry:

Im looking to mod my DSL next month... Cant Wait!!!

Captain_Wang    0

I'm a little confused I need a little clarification if you guys don't mind.

I'm really tempted to go out and get myself a DS Lite this week and get some homebrew apps etc running on it. I've read through most of this thread but I'm still a little confused. I want to be able to run multimedia and backup roms so I won't need to carry my carts everywhere. What from these pages will I need?

Site 1

Site 2

Site 3

I'm sorry to ask questions I'm sure you're sick of answering but this is a bit alien to me, thanks for any answers.

P.S. I have a 512MB SanDisk Pro Duo storage card, is this compatible with any of the adapters?

Edited by mashw

sanghoku    0

i have a supercard mini-sd in combination with a supercard... this means a little sticking out from the gba slot of the ds lite but i can live with that since it gives me a little extra handle :)

at the moment there are 2 ways of doing what you want to do: use a 2 slot option, like mine for instance, or since recently they've been creating one slot solutions as well... this means you only have a thing in your nds slot and nothing in your gba slot... nothing sticking out even ;) look for the dsextreme, i've heard good things about this one...

for buying i, and jianbing, would suggest kicktrading.ca ... i'm from belgium and they delivered in 3 days or so so that's pretty darn fast if you ask me ;)

for even more guides and advice, be sure to check out gbatemp.net, they have reviews of all the solutions currently available with the pros and cons of each...

still, supercardmini and superkey allows me to do pretty much everything i want...

Captain_Wang    0

Thanks for your reply Sandoku, I think I'm starting to understand better now. I need a superkey to pass control over to the GBA adapter with a storage card in. But with dsextreme I would only need that you say?

Shadrack    601

Does anyone happen to have G6 U-disk Manager Version V4.6C or a recent version?

The G6 Flash Download page is pointing me to a file not found.

Please PM me. Thanks.

-Shad

The Gunslinger    9

Hey guys...Can anyone tell me what are the average sizes of NDS backups?

I want to get the DS-Xtreme, or a similar one card solution, but ,most have limited on board memory...

Will 512 Mbytes be enough for my backups and homebrew?

Thanks...

JohnMarsten    0

Hey guys...Can anyone tell me what are the average sizes of NDS backups?

I want to get the DS-Xtreme, or a similar one card solution, but ,most have limited on board memory...

Will 512 Mbytes be enough for my backups and homebrew?

Thanks...

Yeah 512 will be enough. I got the M3 Lite and Passkey combo with a 1gig microsd in it. You can get about 20-25 backups on there so you should be able to do about half. Just take off games you don't play and you'll be fine. Backups range from 8-64Mbytes for NDS.

sanghoku    0

ahem... ff3 is waaaaaaayyyyy bigger ;)

divinatum    2

On my DS-X I can get anywhere from, 16 games to 12 games, depending what's on it.

Hooya    0

The largest an NDS game can get is 128MB. Currently there are two that size on my EZF4.

The possible sizes for untrimmed NDS games are:

Nothing in between. You can trim dead space off of many roms though (don't ask me how)

I'd wait a while and see if the Acekard really has the support they're claiming, then you can use a microSD card up to 2GB.

morficus    0

it's been a while since I've posted/read this thread...but I was wondering...

are there any Flash Carts (that fit flush in the DS) that do not need a passme yet?

divinatum    2

I'd wait a while and see if the Acekard really has the support they're claiming, then you can use a microSD card up to 2GB.

The initial AceKard review is out and looks like ****. Uses it's own AceKard FS, so it's only Windows compatible (Lame), has virtually no homebrew support. Stick with DS-X.

Ji@nBing    53
it's been a while since I've posted/read this thread...but I was wondering...

are there any Flash Carts (that fit flush in the DS) that do not need a passme yet?

The AceKard, DS-X, and others have a passme built in. Keep in mind these are slot-1 solutions though, so no GBA support with them.

The initial AceKard review is out and looks like ****. Uses it's own AceKard FS, so it's only Windows compatible (Lame), has virtually no homebrew support. Stick with DS-X.

Yep. The AceKard looks terrible for homebrew (as in, of all the homebrew tested, only one works :p). The only good thing about it is 100% DS backup compatibility.

The DS-X looks like the best slot-1 card for now. Keep in mind there are more slot-1 cards on the horizon though, all that take MicroSD cards so you won't have to worry about built in memory. The NinjaPass X9TF is about to ship and it looks very promising. Also, the M4 (from the M3 team) and a slot-1 Supercard should be ready within a couple of months. If you are thinking of getting a slot-1 card, I would say wait a bit until all these cards are out and then decide.

The Gunslinger    9

On my DS-X I can get anywhere from, 16 games to 12 games, depending what's on it.

That sounds great... This card is more tempting now... :yes: Thanks...

The AceKard, DS-X, and others have a passme built in. Keep in mind these are slot-1 solutions though, so no GBA support with them.

Yep. The AceKard looks terrible for homebrew (as in, of all the homebrew tested, only one works :p). The only good thing about it is 100% DS backup compatibility.

The DS-X looks like the best slot-1 card for now. Keep in mind there are more slot-1 cards on the horizon though, all that take MicroSD cards so you won't have to worry about built in memory. The NinjaPass X9TF is about to ship and it looks very promising. Also, the M4 (from the M3 team) and a slot-1 Supercard should be ready within a couple of months. If you are thinking of getting a slot-1 card, I would say wait a bit until all these cards are out and then decide.

I've read the review on the NinjaPass, and its all good. It has a SD car slot, but the problem is that it sticks out of the DS...

I guess you are right, may have to wait till more one slot cards are on the market, the DS-X is sold out on most sites anyway... :unsure:

Harreh    9

Hi. I'm considering going DSL homebrew. I've read alot of things in this thread, and I think that getting a Passcard 3 and M3 Pro lite is a good option. Can I be absolutely sure that this'll work with my DS lite? I feel hesitant to do this incase I damage my DS or just waste money.

What would the best UK shop to buy this stuff from? I can only find American or European sites selling them, and most of them are out of stock!

How much space do you think I'd need on my Micro SD? I can get a 1GB Sandisk one for ?17 from amazon.co.uk, sounds pretty good to me.

I'll be using it mainly for the apps, games and emulators. I wont be playing any DS games with this-I'll be buying them and don't have any GBA games worthy of backing up. I wont be using it for playing MP3s(I have an mp3 player) and might put videos on, but I probably wont bother to compress them etc:pp.

witalit    15
Hi. I'm considering going DSL homebrew. I've read alot of things in this thread, and I think that getting a Passcard 3 and M3 Pro lite is a good option. Can I be absolutely sure that this'll work with my DS lite? I feel hesitant to do this incase I damage my DS or just waste money.

What would the best UK shop to buy this stuff from? I can only find American or European sites selling them, and most of them are out of stock!

How much space do you think I'd need on my Micro SD? I can get a 1GB Sandisk one for ?17 from amazon.co.uk, sounds pretty good to me.

I'll be using it mainly for the apps, games and emulators. I wont be playing any DS games with this-I'll be buying them and don't have any GBA games worthy of backing up. I wont be using it for playing MP3s(I have an mp3 player) and might put videos on, but I probably wont bother to compress them etc:pp .

Jump on the bandwagon mate its better then non-homebrew trust me!. I only just got my Superkey + Supercard Lite (Rumble Version). Works really well and with most games ive tried DS wise they have worked. I haven't got any emulators yet but I am looking for some. Any Megadrive emulators available? Thanks guys this thread has to live on.

Harreh    9

I found managed to find a place selling the NinjaPass X9, and the price is significantly than getting a PassCard3+M3 pro lite(and not many places sell the pro version).

Is the NinjaPass X9 actually better, in terms of functionality and ease of use etc.? I'd like there to be a nice GUI, which I believe the set I originally selected provided. I'm not really bothered about having to use the GBA slot at all. I'd just leave the micro SD card and the M3 cart in it's slot all the time-and because it doesn't stick out it isn't a problem to me at all. The price of the NinjaPass X9 is really much less than my original set which persuades me alot and the website doesn't sell the superkey or Passcard 3.

Ji@nBing    53

Jump on the bandwagon mate its better then non-homebrew trust me!. I only just got my Superkey + Supercard Lite (Rumble Version). Works really well and with most games ive tried DS wise they have worked. I haven't got any emulators yet but I am looking for some. Any Megadrive emulators available? Thanks guys this thread has to live on.

There is a Megadrive/Genesis emulator called Picodrive in the first post. It works quite well, much better than most of the SNES emulators. You can get it here.
I found managed to find a place selling the NinjaPass X9, and the price is significantly than getting a PassCard3+M3 pro lite(and not many places sell the pro version).

Is the NinjaPass X9 actually better, in terms of functionality and ease of use etc.? I'd like there to be a nice GUI, which I believe the set I originally selected provided. I'm not really bothered about having to use the GBA slot at all. I'd just leave the micro SD card and the M3 cart in it's slot all the time-and because it doesn't stick out it isn't a problem to me at all. The price of the NinjaPass X9 is really much less than my original set which persuades me alot and the website doesn't sell the superkey or Passcard 3.

Not much is known about the NinjaPass X9 right now as it just shipped to re-sellers a few days ago and not many people have it in hand yet. GBATemp just recieved thier copy and will be posting a review in the next few days, however. We'll know more about it's quality/features then.

Harreh    9

Not much is known about the NinjaPass X9 right now as it just shipped to re-sellers a few days ago and not many people have it in hand yet. GBATemp just recieved thier copy and will be posting a review in the next few days, however. We'll know more about it's quality/features then.

Please post a link to their review! I'm very egar to find out what it's like!

Has the company which makes the NinjaPass X9 made other products? Are they good?

Captain_Wang    0

I've been playing with my supercard and superpass all week with homebrew apps and I'm very impressed with the scene. I also finally understand Ji@nBing's avatar lol, Ouendan and Elite Beat agents are great.

Kire    0

Would the superCard Lite Rumble and Superkey be good purchase to get into homebrew? Also whats the best place to buy flash memory?

Hooya    0

From what I know the SC is OK for homebrew, just because it's quite popular. It is sometimes a pain in the arse to get roms to work on it though (from what I hear).

as far as media: www.pricewatch.com

Captain_Wang    0

The rumble will work fine with all homebrew I've tried so far except for the comic book reader which will be supported in the next version.