• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

The Official NDS Homebrew Thread

mattmatik    76
It's slot one so no GBA support unless you also have a GBA flash cart (R4/M3 Simply will function as passme devices). Also, homebrew compatibility with most of the more popular apps is lacking, but that's not their fault and it's improving as developers take slot 1 solutions more seriously.

Thanks for the reply, bfoos. So, in your opinion, do you think that right now it's better to go with a Supercard + Superkey combo? Or will the R4 be improved at a steady pace?

bfoos    1

If GBA support is important to you, then go for the super combo.

MadFerIt    0

Hey guys I settled on the M3 Simply Perfect. Seems to be the best of the bunch (I do realize the R4 is identical, but so were the prices from where I purchased it :p).

I'm curious.. Since the actual "Launcher" program is something you have to copy from the CD (or internet) to your MicroSD card, then isn't it possible to get a different launcher? Or are they restricted to the type of homebrew cartridge you have?

The lack of GBA support is a bit crappy, however I wouldn't be surprised if they come out with some kind of workaround for slot 1 solutions.

Hooya    0
Hey guys I settled on the M3 Simply Perfect. Seems to be the best of the bunch (I do realize the R4 is identical, but so were the prices from where I purchased it :p).

I'm curious.. Since the actual "Launcher" program is something you have to copy from the CD (or internet) to your MicroSD card, then isn't it possible to get a different launcher? Or are they restricted to the type of homebrew cartridge you have?

The lack of GBA support is a bit crappy, however I wouldn't be surprised if they come out with some kind of workaround for slot 1 solutions.

They won't come out with a workaround for slot-1 GBA compatibility. Slot-1 isn't fast enough to run GBA games. Period.

The launcher you need will be updated on M3's website. It's not something that other people can write for. So yes, it's restricted to the type of cart you have.

MadFerIt    0
They won't come out with a workaround for slot-1 GBA compatibility. Slot-1 isn't fast enough to run GBA games. Period.

The launcher you need will be updated on M3's website. It's not something that other people can write for. So yes, it's restricted to the type of cart you have.

Well luckily the chip I'm getting supports the ability to boot off Slot-2. So all I'd have to buy is the device for the GBA port (and no passme/etc) to get GBA stuff up and running.

Captain_Wang    0

Which of these slot-1's do you guys recommend? I know I'd need a micro-SD card for the R4 but the built in 4GB on the 'Fire' one sounds appealing. I'm just unsure on the homebrew compatibility on them, anyone got any info/advice?

http://www.consoleplus.co.uk/product_info....and-ds-lite-4gb

http://www.consoleplus.co.uk/product_info....ds-lite-adapter

http://www.consoleplus.co.uk/product_info....ds-lite-adapter

Captain_Wang    0

I went with the R4 after reading these opinions. Had to get a micro-SD too but the 512MB ones don't cost too much from Amazon, even though delivery was extortionate for such a tiny item. I'll let the thread know how it goes anyway when it arrives.

The Gunslinger    9

Ok, stupid question, but cant you run gba backups off the slot 1 card, with an emulator? :unsure:

Captain_Wang    0

I think emulating it would be too much for the DS to handle well.

The_Decryptor    1,105
Ok, stupid question, but cant you run gba backups off the slot 1 card, with an emulator? :unsure:

That would make it even slower.

Best bet is a mem cart in Slot 2, which the homebrew is then transfered too, then run it from the cart.

The Gunslinger    9
That would make it even slower.

Best bet is a mem cart in Slot 2, which the homebrew is then transfered too, then run it from the cart.

Oh well...

Yeah, was kinda disappointed about the lack of gba support...And was hoping that the slot 1 cards would handle gba backups...

btw, any of you guys get any of the slot 1 cards yet. I wanted to get the DS Extreme, but there seems to be no stock anywhere, and the places that do have it are charging an arm and a leg...

Looks like I'm going to have to settle for one of the new slot 1 cards...

bfoos    1

I got my R4 DS yesterday. Everything works pretty good. Roms, mp3s, dpgs, dsdoom, etc. I compiled moonshell 1.6 to replace the version it uses. I'm looking for some moonshell skins though. I like some of the ones here...

http://webpages.charter.net/braineatingali...ll%20skins.html

Especially Screens or something by prazole, but all of the links there are dead. Does anybody know where I can find that skin, or any skins for that matter?

Captain_Wang    0

Go here for some good skins. I'm really pleased with my R4, and with the DLDI patch all the homebrew I've tried has worked no problem.

bfoos    1

Thanks anyway, but I already know about the R4 skins. What I want is moonshell skins.

bgmagic    0

I know Agent Q is working on the ScummVM DLDI patch for ScummVM DS but has anyone sucessfully gotten ScummVM DS to work with either the M3 Simply or the R4? I've been trying to get it to work but no luck.

Captain_Wang    0
Thanks anyway, but I already know about the R4 skins. What I want is moonshell skins.

Eh, sorry about that must not have been thinking straight this afternoon.

bfoos    1

That's quite all right man. I appreciate the attempt to help. There are more R4 skins over at gbatemp.

The Gunslinger    9
I got my R4 DS yesterday. Everything works pretty good. Roms, mp3s, dpgs, dsdoom, etc. I compiled moonshell 1.6 to replace the version it uses. I'm looking for some moonshell skins though. I like some of the ones here...

http://webpages.charter.net/braineatingali...ll%20skins.html

Especially Screens or something by prazole, but all of the links there are dead. Does anybody know where I can find that skin, or any skins for that matter?

Go here for some good skins. I'm really pleased with my R4, and with the DLDI patch all the homebrew I've tried has worked no problem.

So would you guys recommend the R4? :unsure:

bfoos    1

Absolutely! I'm really very pleased with mine.

sundayx    127

Ah im looking to get the R4, shipped before picking up the DS. Anyone recommend any places in Toronto to pick up possibly R4 + microSD bundles, or online for good prices?

JoHideo    3

I'd wait for a microSD deal, I just bought a 1 GB for $4 after rebate yesterday.

My own question. I bought the R4 and it seems to be working well at this point. I was wondering what the best solution would be for playing GBA games now that I have the R4 which can act as a Passme device. Also, how do you apply the R4 skins?

bfoos    1

The skin images go in the _System_ folder.

morficus    0

And now.. time for a question storm:

What is the main diffrence between the R4 and the M3?

Does the M3 have better homebrew support than the R4? I'm looking for one that supports the most amount of ROMs while still having good homebrew support (for movies, music & pix)

also, is there a certain type/brand of microSD that gives better performance with a specific cart?

is there a perfered retailer or order from (US location)?

thanks in advance

-morf

Harreh    9
also, is there a certain type/brand of microSD that gives better performance with a specific cart?

Go with the well established brand names, ie Kingston, Sandisk, Toshiba etc.

I also read that Japanese made cards are better. No idea how better, or if this is true or not but it was mentioned in a gbatemp review.

bfoos    1
And now.. time for a question storm:

What is the main diffrence between the R4 and the M3?

Does the M3 have better homebrew support than the R4? I'm looking for one that supports the most amount of ROMs while still having good homebrew support (for movies, music & pix)

thanks in advance

-morf

There is no difference between the R4DS and the M3 Simply. It's the exact same hardware, short of a few bridged jumpers (pun intended). The newer revisions don't have the jumper to switch between R4 and M3, but it's still the same hardware. R4 is the manufacturer of both devices and they release firmware updates first, followed by M3 a day or two later.

As far as micro sd cards goes, Kingston/Toshiba SD-C01G Japan cards are the best.