Apple Macbook is Out

Oh boy.. can get the entry level Macbook for ?647 with my discount... I waaaantttt oneeee!!

Is that a G5 iMac? -Good Luck!

I'm in the same boat. I wanna get the 17" MacBookPro but I'm stuck with a 15" Powerbook that won't reach even half what I paid due to it being PowerPC. Who want's to buy a 5.5x slower machine? Even the new MacBooks own my Powerbook which is only a few months old.

Guess I'll turn it into a desktop and run it in closed lid or something.

same problem here. its a nice machine and all but the mbp is just SO much better. worst part of it is that i bought it at the end of december, right before the release of mbp... :crazy:

fortunately, warranty will cover upgrades i think so at the end of it i can get a later rev (b or c?) mbp.

Whats the point of having a powerful processor and not a GPU to match when OSX and VISTA need them, and in the near future more software, photoshop for example, will take advantage of the extra power a GPU provides.

This machine should have at the very least been able to run Aperture. What about any software coming out in the next 6 -12 months, the machine is already out dated.

You need to take a step back and remember that this is intended as a CONSUMER, not a PRO laptop. Regular consumers will be running iPhoto, not Aperture. As for the GPU, it supports every feature of OS X (the one in the previous generation iBooks didn't).

Why is the mac boosk so heavy?

the 13 inch one is 5 pounds?

My acer is 3 pounds. I dont udnerstamnd why the mac is so much heavier?

My acer also has a 15.4 screen and is lighter.

Could it be because OSX is a ROCK SOLID OS, therefor it weighs alot :rofl:

and... the acer laptop runs windows...

Can the Macbook pro run vista at full, with all the features on. And why did they add the glossy screen f it's bad just like you all say. Maybe it's not?

I just can't get into the black MacBook. It reminds me of my old Toshiba laptop.

I quite like the glossy screens, I have one on my current Windows laptop.

WHY OH WHY DID THEY HAVE TO USE A GLOSSY LCD,

i really hate them sure the quaility is better but the screens are just horrible in lit places and horrible when they get dirty, them having a crummy glossy screen is a easy turn off for me.

PS. whats with no silver, the black is ugly and i guess the white is the same as the ibook anyway

I am just curious what is the deal with the glossy screens? My brother has a Toshiba Notebook with a screen like that and there is a lot of reflection on the screen?it can be hard to see anything. When I compare his screen to my MBP its amazing to see the difference.

if i was to play no games, just run macosx to run mathematic / word / itunes / adium and maybe the odd bit of photoshop would this igp be sufficient? i dnt want to get this laptop and then have it run slow or slower than it should. can someone equate this to my 9600xt. is it better or worse?

note, i can get a macbook pro, lol but i prefer the whiteness of the macbook plus for what i need it for i dnt need to spend 1500+ on a laptop.

thanks for the help

Unless you play games (or do heavy 3D rendering), then the Macbook should be perfectly fine. Even then, most games would probably run ok (not top graphics modes, but decent ones). Good enough for casual gamers.

I used to have a $500 Windows laptop with integrated video and it was perfect for everyday tasks (outside of running Windows of course), so I imagine if that worked for me, the Macbook would work for anyone except the most demanding laptop users.

The MacBook seems like a great little laptop - it's specs are certainly a lot better than what I thought they would be (I was expecting a 1.67 Core Solo in the entry model, like with the Mac mini). Take a look at the MacBook's specs compared to the iBook G4's specs;

iBook > MacBook

CPU: Up to 1.42GHz > up to 2GHz (dual core)

FSB: Up to 142MHz > 667MHz

L2: 512k - 2mb

HDD: Up to 100gb @ 4200rpm > up to 120gb

RAM: Up to 1.5gb > up to 2gb

GRAPHICS: 32mb ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 > 64mb Intel GMA 950 shared with support for Core Image

RESOLUTION: 1024x768 > 1280x800 widescreen

As you can see, everything about the MacBook's specs trump the iBook. Not to mention all the extra features of the MacBook that the iBook didn't have - MagSafe, iSight, Front Row and the Apple Remote, and of course the ability to dual-boot with Windows. The shared graphics is a bit of a moot point, but with more VRAM and Core Image support, the shared graphics was a good move in my opinion. Although I find it odd that Apple didn't offer colour choices for each model like they do with the iPod, I would still buy one of these in a heartbeat if I had the money. Those of you who are whining really have no reason to.

On a side note, I really wish Apple would stop building screenshots of their products in Photoshop - the MacBook's look great in the real photos that have been posted by their lucky owners, but they look cheapish on Apple's website. The bezel seems rather large too - it's a pity they didn't make it smaller.

Generally though, I don't think Apple could have built a better successor to the iBook. If you're feeling generous, PM me and I'll give you my PayPal account details. :p

^ Mhm.

Macworld's first look up.

http://www.macworld.com/2006/05/firstlooks...first/index.php

Right Click is actually possible now.

However, I was impressed with one new feature of the button: when you click while you?ve got two fingers on the MacBook?s trackpad, the button becomes a control-click/right-click button. (This is an option; you can turn it on or off in the Trackpad tab of the Keyboard & Mouse preference pane.) It?s not quite a two-button mouse, but it sure beats reaching for the control key when you want to see a contextual menu. (And it?s a feature the 15-inch MacBook Pro doesn?t yet offer, although it does appear on the 17-inch model.)