Free Vista Biz/Office..us only

I hope the key at least activates a 64bit version because its gonna suck if its only for 32bit, I will have no need for it. My dad will want it though since hes still on a p4 3.0

I'm sure you won't have a problem finding a purpose for a free copy of Vista Business...

as for Anytime Upgrade... c9chris on the channel9 forum brought up the point that the revised portions of the MS EULA do not apply, in particular the section on re-activations. Basically the Retail license no longer has those restrictions that caused the license uproar (limit on activations and installations on 'devices'), Anytime Upgrade licensing allows for only one reinstall/re-activation.

saying all that to say i won't be so quick to move up to Ultimate from Business anymore...

Also pricing from Anytime Upgrade varies since it comes from vendors outside of MS

ok, recap.

if i get my buisiness vista 32 bit only, and do the $70 upgrade to ultimate with 64bit support, i can only install ultimate once or be forced to purchase and entirly new licance, or perhaps just the upgrade again? either scenario is unnacceptible, but thats besides the point i supose.

does vista 64 have full support for 32 bit apps? it just requires 64bit drivers?

-The version shipping is only 32bit

-$70 is a nice estimate, but the price varies

-you can't 'upgrade' from 32bit to 64bit, you have to re-install, This isn't a Windows limitation, If you were running [insert Linux distro here] you can't just 'upgrade' to 64bit

-According to the EULA Anytime Upgrade license mirrors the OEM license... essentially binding Windows to that one 'device'. Allowing for one additional activation. (new primary 'as in the installation' hard drives and new motherboards)

-Once you upgrade your previous license to the software you originally had is void

-Vista/Win2003 server/XP64 all have a compatibility layer (WOW32) that does a decent job of supporting 32bit applications (by providing 32bit libraries) however you cannot run 32bit drivers with a 64bit kernel. With that said you might want to halt that jump into 64bit Vista (as in making a purchase) unless you can confirm that all of your applications and drivers will work.

Did any canucks try this? It was US only right? I skimmed the last couple pages and some guy from the UK said he did it?

I did. I'll let you know if I get it. I used a buddies address in the US.

So can I install the Office 2007 Pro on my desktop AND my laptop? or can I only do it on ONE computer? Does anyone know?

You can install it on your desktop and laptop provided both are never in use at the same time.

-The version shipping is only 32bit

-$70 is a nice estimate, but the price varies

-you can't 'upgrade' from 32bit to 64bit, you have to re-install, This isn't a Windows limitation, If you were running [insert Linux distro here] you can't just 'upgrade' to 64bit

-According to the EULA Anytime Upgrade license mirrors the OEM license... essentially binding Windows to that one 'device'. Allowing for one additional activation. (new primary 'as in the installation' hard drives and new motherboards)

-Once you upgrade your previous license to the software you originally had is void

-Vista/Win2003 server/XP64 all have a compatibility layer (WOW32) that does a decent job of supporting 32bit applications (by providing 32bit libraries) however you cannot run 32bit drivers with a 64bit kernel. With that said you might want to halt that jump into 64bit Vista (as in making a purchase) unless you can confirm that all of your applications and drivers will work.

I could care less about this now that its only 32bit. To bad I figured the offer was to good to be true.

Hmmm... I wonder how to get the 64-bit disc...

Call up MS ask them to send you a 64-bit vista Business replacement cd, they will send you one if you provide a valid key and pay the cost of the disk + shipping (about $10) we have to do this every once and a while at work... if you own the license (and all keys are licensed for 32 and 64 bit versions) you can get the media from MS

I just got an email back from a question i asked a few days ago.

Hello,

You will receive the free gift 6-8 weeks after Vista is released to the public. Please let us know if you have any other support related questions.

So it might be 10 weeks from now

Oh H3ll NO! they first said 6-8 weeks after RTM! not after release to the public! aggrrr!

Oh H3ll NO! they first said 6-8 weeks after RTM! not after release to the public! aggrrr!

its free stop bitching

Don't worry, they email that same line to everyone. Mark Brown, who works for Microsoft has already said that they will be shipping this week. So you might have it before this weekend.. or next week.

I wanted to see if anyone else had gotten this email, as I just got the exact same response just in an email just a few minutes ago. I'm inclined to believe Mark's statement saying they were being shipped out starting at the end of last week, more than a canned email response. But, it did take me by surprise at first. lol

They always said after public release. I never saw it saying after RTM.