• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Puzzle Box 4

confusio    0
What could take up 12 gb that has to do with this game!?

Lots of images, screen captures, videos, a large collection of notes and spreadsheets about each puzzle,

fiddler capture files, but the most bulky stuff are the decompiled flash fles, each week is about 2GB of flash source.

diggletd    0

message from minae on myspace

Mummmmmms the word!

Hope your day is "out of this world"! ;)

bsb001    0

Well it's over and time to move on,

I feel sad, yet happy at the same time. It's been a wild ride, something we all shared in, and had a blast.

To whoever ends up winning - Congrats! To eveyone else, thanks for comming together and giveing it

your all - I dont think there are very many people who could have done this on their own with out some help along the way.

I look forward to returning here on the next one, and joining together again to face off against the next puzzle

master.

Best of luck to all, and thanks tons to Neowin for allowing us the space to join together in, and the use of your bandwidth.

Till next time ...

ariesjj    0
Hmmm... is this for real?

I can't see the "success" text anywhere on the VP site...

Anyway, if it is, then cool... slightly anti-climactic but cool...

These are the things I was just about to put forward to y'all...

1) Anyone tried putting the text of each puzzle box together like a jigsaw or taking the text with the fat/thin lines only to make a new sentence/question/map overlay/other... I've been trying but I have crap image manip software so its been frustrating...

2) Anyone tried taking one word from each of the loki's in the theme of "what, is, my, name", to construct a new sentence... being the real question that she asks and going from there?

I managed to get a print of the "You are not the first" page, I will scan it in when I get home. The post is exactly the same as what I have on my printout. In regards to the "question" being asked.. she was giving us the clue of the four names:

WHAT (name1), IS (name2), MY (name3), NAME (name4)

The names have to be entered precisely as Lorelei, Odessa, Kara, Ivy

I just confirmed that the page is still available. (see attachment)

post-199238-1170223028_thumb.jpg

namesake    0

Ah... so if I log out/in again I do get the new msgs... well done <whomever>!

So does anyone know if it was Tesseract4? (He was the first, AFAIK, to suggest the HEADRE > IVY link and put in his answer... at least on this forum... I assume he's not a she since he signs "Regis"... so don't shoot me for assuming a guy would win this thats not my angle!)

Whatever... it was very cool way to waste some life for a few days/weeks... ;)

Cheers and good luck to all!

malcolmst    0

Just wondering, can anyone explain why Ivy is really the last answer? I get the lokIV thing, but it seems to not relate at all to Hardee or the rest of the map. There must be SOME relation, but I just can't see it :p and TANLI too... what was with that?

dianamb2007    0

First post :)

Just wanted to say that I can't believe how brilliant so many of you here are - I have no idea how you ever came up with some of those answers! A few days after the game began, I saw something on CNN.com and went to the VP site. Ended up doing a search to see if there were any sites that gave tips on how to solve the puzzles and found yours. Lot of great information here.

Thanks!

Interface7    0
Just wondering, can anyone explain why Ivy is really the last answer? I get the lokIV thing, but it seems to not relate at all to Hardee or the rest of the map. There must be SOME relation, but I just can't see it :p and TANLI too... what was with that?

Hardee in LATIN (TANLI) is ____________ which means IVY

I forget the translation..but that is the connection

nuguy    0
I managed to get a print of the "You are not the first" page, I will scan it in when I get home. The post is exactly the same as what I have on my printout. In regards to the "question" being asked.. she was giving us the clue of the four names:

WHAT (name1), IS (name2), MY (name3), NAME (name4)

The names have to be entered precisely as Lorelei, Odessa, Kara, Ivy

I just confirmed that the page is still available. (see attachment)

post-199238-1170223028_thumb.jpg

So it was even simpler than I thought, "Go to the directory L O K I V" How that has anything to do with Hardee escapes me though.

-

confusio    0

OK Folks, it has been a pleasure and a blast !!!

See ya on the next one :-)

Time to celebrate and get drunk

Scotty beam me up !!

Cheers

malcolmst    0
Hardee in LATIN (TANLI) is ____________ which means IVY

I forget the translation..but that is the connection

Ok, thanks for the explanation :D I guess that does use all of the clues.

Edit: It is actually Hedera which is an anagram of Hardee that means Ivy in Latin - that really is quite a good solution. I'm happy now, even though someone else got it :D

Edited by malcolmst

nuguy    0

That help me understand, thanx,

Until next time...ahh sleep.

nuguy-

Ices_Eyes    1

Ok...This morning...i got my answer... Really compliments to all, and to the winner in particoular...

Just a curiosity: they say, in the message on the homepage:

If you didn't get to play along, click on each of the puzzle boxes below and take a look around.

What does this mean? Another puzzle just for fun? :)

irulats    0

I think it probably means they're going to leave the puzzles up for a while. That's good, because there are a few of the 36 which have solutions but not great work-ups.

Congratulations to the winners, I hope thery are Neowinians.

It was exhilaterating to have been involved with you all here at Neowin although I kept in touch over at Unfiction the odd time too.......God Bless,

Irulats

PS Brilo211 get's my vote for quote of the century..

Anyways, it's been fun, I'm off to bed...with my lucky wife :p
Edited by irulats

VirtuconDG    0
Interesting ...

It has been really fun and a challenging excercise, kudos to the winers and good luck everybody on the draw.

Still after all the clues and theories, this final feels like the last episode of a cheap soap opera.

Just my humble opinion

Cheers

PS. Thanks Neowin for letting us use your resources to create this amazing and briliiant group of people, I'll

hang around since your forums are excelent.

I completely agree! Thanks to all of you who worked in the "collective" mind and a huge thanks to neowin for hosting this amazing groupthink!!! I can't wait for the next one!

Geoffrey B.    1,415

so as far as we know right now no one has one this thing for the name thing.

funkymunky    3

Guys I hope this isn't the last we see of you all on Neowin.

Over these past few weeks you have contributed greatly with these puzzles. I thank you :)

fp99    0

Congratulations to the winners!

Anxious to see what the winning inscription for the chip will be. Hope the winner gives credit to the forums.

This collaboration was fun!

wbell    0
So it was even simpler than I thought, "Go to the directory L O K I V" How that has anything to do with Hardee escapes me though.

nuguy,

Following the mileage and directional clues given by L.O.K.I, plot the points on a map, such as malcolmst's below. Doing this, and using the other map clue, provided by L.OK.I., "X" marks the spot on Hardee, Mississippi. HARDEE anagrams to HEDERA which is LATIN (TANLI) for IVY.

1. Mystery Spot

2. 5874.61 miles RIGHT

3. 1049.62 miles UP

4. 1161.79 miles RIGHT

5. 153.48 miles DOWN

6. 543.55 miles LEFT

7. 652.2 miles DOWN

8. 4909.96 miles LEFT

9. 548.42 miles DOWN

...I don't know if there's a better map that anyone's made, but here's mine again if it helps:

http://maps.live.com/?v=2&cid=B55D41272D2D06FF!148. Again, it's accurate to within about 3mi as far as I can tell.

FINAL ANSWER! :yes:

Lorelei = Discovered relevance with Murmuring Rock - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorelei

Odessa = Obtained by solving the White Boxes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Odessa-oblast-COA.PNG

Kara = Word search reveals ASCII Hex of "6b 61 72 61" (kara in lowercase) - http://www.soft-calc.com/calculator/ascii_calculator_e.html

Ivy = Revealed by mapping clues to Hardee, MS. HARDEE anagrams to HEDERA which is LATIN (TANLI) for IVY

FINAL ANSWER to "what, is, my, name" --- "Lorelei, Odessa, Kara, Ivy"

It's been a GREAT time! The best of luck to everyone! I hope to see you soon, in the next challenge!

WBELL :D

D-Cipher    0

GREAT GAMING, NEOWINIANS! :)

If I win, I will definetly not forget to mention you guys! :) ( I probably will not win, lol but still)

Thought: Solving Lorelei & Odessa & Kara was fun! ...Ivy was a little dull and too easy :(

P.S. What the heck is the relevance of her GPA and PI ???? lol I still didnt pick up on that... :(

GREAT TIMES!....now we wait for MAC to Counterlaunch something COOLER! :) lol

D-Cipher    0

rIGHT ON THE dOT.....150 Pages, 2.2K posts on Puzzle 4 ALONE! ....WOW! :)

VirtuconDG    0
rIGHT ON THE dOT.....150 Pages, 2.2K posts on Puzzle 4 ALONE! ....WOW! :)

Anyone know if there is an easy way to see the # of different people who posted for this thread? It would be interesting to know just how many different people helped on this effort.

madmad59    0

Son't know, but I do know I had fun!!! Had entered IVY once earlier in the day and changed it to a one word answer as my last quess. Went back to change it, and got the letter that someone had already won!! Great game, can't wait for more! madmad69