Transformers (2007)

Those who don't like it seem to be the minority. In it's first week the movie grossed just over $152M, just beating Spiderman 1's record for the best opening for a non-sequel. It also broke the record for gross sales on the 4th of July. Beyond that it did better it's opening week than anyone expected it to.

-Spenser

And yet the all-spark, an object 100x as large as Megatron, can fold up into a cube small enough for a human to carry it? Or how about when Prime says that they are 250 miles from Hoover dam when they are standing right on top of it? Great dedication to realism there.

I did rewatch the movie and the first 10 episodes. Are they campy and juvenile, you bet. That wasn't my point though. The characters and mythology do stand the test of time. If you can't agree with that then I think you are the one that isn't the fan.

Simple question, does anything in the new movie approach the death of Starscream in the original?

Thats a big negative here.

Edited by Dashel

The all spark was different as it was a giver of life, unlike the Autobots and Decepticons, who were created by the all spark, so I can easily see the difference there without so much of a quip.

What part of the movie took away from the characters and mythology? The movie made Megatron an even more believable bad guy with the things he not only said, but did. His distaste for humans was very evident, not so much in the cartoons. It made him more of a character, and an evil one at that. I think this movie was on par with the Transformers mythology.

I look at it like I did to X-Men. Yellow tights? Oh heck no, and it still rocked and was quite different from the original.

Death of Starscream? What are you talking about? Elaborate so that I can properly respond. It hit me in the gut some sporty vehicle bit the dust late in the movie. That's a big positive there.

Simple question, does anything in the new movie approach the death of Starscream in the original?

What you have got to remember is that this isn't a continuation or a sequel to the 1986 movie, this is a re-energisation of the entire series, much like Batman Begins did for it's namesake series. Because of that, it allows them to re-think plots, characters, locations etc.

Death of Starscream? What are you talking about? Elaborate so that I can properly respond. It hit me in the gut some sporty vehicle bit the dust late in the movie. That's a big positive there.

In the 1986 movie, Galvatron destroyed Starscream at his kingship ceremony.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Transformers:_The_Movie

In the 1986 movie, Galvatron destroyed Starscream at his kingship ceremony.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Transformers:_The_Movie

Yes, I know that. His statement didn't and still doesn't make sense to me. Is he saying does anything in the movie compare to Starscream's death? That's the clarification I was asking for. So if that's his question, yes, this movie has certain things that compare.

Best movie of the year. Nothing comes close to 280 terabytes of a final render. Leave it to ILM to supply the goods. I couldn't find a single thing wrong with this movie. Even my fiance came out so happy after seeing it.

Yes, I know that. His statement didn't and still doesn't make sense to me. Is he saying does anything in the movie compare to Starscream's death? That's the clarification I was asking for. So if that's his question, yes, this movie has certain things that compare.

I think he meant that the movie completely ignores the fact that Starscream was killed.

Making a movie that was just like the original cartoon simply would not have worked. Have any of you watched the cartoons recently? My brother-in-law and I were reminiscing about the cartoons after seeing the movie. He said, "I could watch it all day long." My response, "I said that too until I actually tried. After a third episode, I couldn't stand it anymore." I tried and I tried. It was as corny as could be, but I'm still a fan.

Megatron turning into a tiny gun just won't cut it. Then there's Prime's trailer appearing and disappearing on a whim. Bet having that would've made your day, eh? What they did in this movie was far more believable than sticking to the original.

Exactly. Very well put.

I think he meant that the movie completely ignores the fact that Starscream was killed.

This obviously isn't a continuation of stories from the past.

All I know is, I liked the movie enough to go see it a second time. I still loved it and I still thought the musical store was brilliantly used.

Did anyone stay for the credits? AS I was walking out, I only half saw the clip of a airplane (spaceship) taking off. Was that Starscream? Also, I read a review somewhere that said Starscream particpated in the attacks on Megatron? If so, I see the sequal having Megatron being reborn (Galvatron) and him exacting his revenge on Starscream (which does follow the storyline at least a little).

Edited by Aaron

Did anyone stay for the credits? AS I was walking out, I only half saw the clip of a airplane (spaceship) taking off. Was that Starscream? Also, I read a review somewhere that said Starscream particpated in the attacks on Megatron? If so, I see the sequal having Megatron being reborn (Galvatron) and him exacting his revenge on Starscream (which does follow the storyline at least a little).

Guy, spoiler tags...spoiler tags...

Edited by Aaron

I never saw Starscream attack Megatron. He was actively taking out the jets as they approached. Also, it was in fact Starscream leaving Earth during the credits. One thing that I liked about the movie was the fact that it didn't solely focus on the Transformers and completely ignore the human cast. While I can't wait for the second, having it turn into a story of the relationship between Megatrong and Starscream would probably wind up alienating most viewers as they won't be able to connect to the chaos of a war being brought to Earth.
It's a thread in the "Movie Ratings" forum. The entire premise of this forum would warn people not to read threads in here unless they've already seen the movie. Edited by Aaron

And yet the all-spark, an object 100x as large as Megatron, can fold up into a cube small enough for a human to carry it?

When they are all standing around and watching bumblebee fold-up (if you can call it that) the all-spark, if you noticed, someone remarks "Anything is possible". I noticed the remark made the 2nd time watching it. The reason i point this out is because this paves the way for Soundwave. How do you ask does this pave the way for Soundwave? The reason that the all-spark goes from this massive building-size object, into the size of an oversized PC desktop cube could only allow for the same principle to happen with Soundwave when he transforms from a 25-foot tall robot into a 1.5-foot ghetto blaster.

Sadly, I had gone to a Transformerscon in Toronto, and they had the producer Don Murphy there, and he explained that Soundwave would not be in the initial movie b/c they could not explain (what Don called) "Mass Shifting". Now by showing the audience how a large cube transforms into a very tiny cube would allow the idea that Soundwave can go from a 25-foot tall robot to a tiny ghetto blaster. At least my theory on this.

However, the movie was excellent. The best part, in my opinion, is when they introduce the Autobots (or just before that). Some of the jokes I thought were lame and could have been left out. But overall, the movie was fun to watch.

It's a thread in the "Movie Ratings" forum. The entire premise of this forum would warn people not to read threads in here unless they've already seen the movie.

My bad.

This thread started way before the movie was released or seen by anyone, so i was just following along...

After watching it a second time the fight scenes were a lot easier to follow, although I could not remember all the Decepticon names, other than Megatron and Starscream.

However I thought there were two instances were Starscream could have either taken the Allspark or Let Megatron go down.

When what's his face was had the cube on top of the building, I believe it was Starscream standing off in the distance. That could have been prime time for him to swoop in and take it. Also when Starscream was fighting off the Jets, i think he might have let two of them go, because those were the two that got off some missles on Megatron to knock him down.

I wish Starscream smack talked Megatron back.

Sorry, I assumed if it was a review of the movie then it assumes you've watched it. But the guidelines do state to use spoiler tags. I have warned myself.

Megan Fox.. o.m.g

Yea, it's is unlawful to be that hot and to have that last name at the same time.

There was one other aspect of this movie that I did not like, which was the Jerry Bruckheimer sounding music. There were a few times I was expecting Jack Sparrow to appear because of the music. I know, I know, that music didn't originate from the Pirates movies, I think it was Crimson Tide, but still, it could've used different music...

What part of the movie took away from the characters and mythology? The movie made Megatron an even more believable bad guy with the things he not only said, but did. His distaste for humans was very evident, not so much in the cartoons. It made him more of a character, and an evil one at that. I think this movie was on par with the Transformers mythology.

I look at it like I did to X-Men. Yellow tights? Oh heck no, and it still rocked and was quite different from the original.

Heh, this might be long.

Exactly! What you state is exactly one of the symptoms I'm referring to. Megatron was never evil in that way. His goal was power and dominance. Why would the powerfull care, let alone hate, such weakness? Humans frankly were beneth him, something to occasionally amuse or assist him but never in the way this movie paints it. They are merely the ants milling at his feet. Secondly, as a good villian, he rarely got his hands dirty. A king does not fight on the front lines (contrasted with Prime). That is what his minions are for. Add that to Starscream's non-existant lust for power and Prime's aloofness and you just have a bunch of alien robots with familiar names and appearances but lacking everything that made them more complex than just black and white destroy/protect morality plays.

I hold no grudge that Prime has flames or that Wolverine wears a black suit. Such superfical things don't bother me, the things they did under the hood are and that is why this movie drove me batty as a fan. I love the Batman Begins series because it brought back the feel of the comic for me. It didn't change vast parts of the story for no good reason, it reinvented those very parts (BB for example did the best job yet with the death of Bruce's parents imo) and made you remember why it is fundamental to who the characters are. You don't remake the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and have him act like Hannibal Lecter. That is how this movie makes me feel when it blatently ignores the source material.

Per the death of Starscream, I merely use it to illustrate how good a character piece it was to me. The scene works not because one robot simply blows up the other, but because it is the trainwreck of consequences brought about by the archetypes of the characters. When Galvatron crushes the crown underfoot, (the powerful need no such ornamental reminders) this shows us that his morals haven't changed. In this way he is still Megatron. Jazz was just the token black guy getting wasted, didn't see that coming.

Metal guy, that is an interesting theory but a couple things about it just don't sit right with me. First, it imply's a certain chronology that just wasn't established. It makes just as much sense to say that those things the cube created would be in its own image, and thus already have such power. Secondly, if Mass Shifting is really what is at work here, then it again is entirly possible for Megatron to be a gun and for Prime to have a disappearing trailer. The very things that are supposed to make this movie 'cool' and 'different'.

Saw it last night.

It's the hit for 2007 guaranteed. I loved it....I wan'ted more more more..... lol damn it was great. It has better SFX than spiderman. the robots look life like. the story was solid. It was well rounded film. plus the hot chicks bonus. :)

Dashel - I have not seen the film, but your summation of Megatron was bang on.

He cared for power - not the trivia associated with gaining power. Personally I never saw him even seeing Prime as an enemy but rather an obstacle. He didn't want to be rid of Prime but rather the way Prime would interfere with his plans to get power.

Maybe when he became Galvatron he was more ruthless.