Whats new about Shift Forums

Why?

There are a plethora of reasons. Some of the more important ones include saving yet another database call and as a means of thwarting what happens when members see a post they don't like and notice a mod is/was on the thread. Unfortunately, they PM the mod instead of using the Report system like they should. Because of the delay in updating, that sometimes means a mod will have already closed their browser and now only they have a report of the possible issue sitting in their PM box instead of the Reported Posts area that all mods have access to.

Okay, this is soooo much better now that there is no clutter at the top. It just doesn't look crowded anymore.

There are a plethora of reasons. Some of the more important ones include saving yet another database call and as a means of thwarting what happens when members see a post they don't like and notice a mod is/was on the thread. Unfortunately, they PM the mod instead of using the Report system like they should. Because of the delay in updating, that sometimes means a mod will have already closed their browser and now only they have a report of the possible issue sitting in their PM box instead of the Reported Posts area that all mods have access to.

ah that makes sense. i guess you dont need the drains on the database.

as for the pm issue, the mods could be hidden, as they are when they 'visit' peoples profiles, but again the data drain makes it seem sort of frivilous even though it was cool :rofl:

Switch to summary view on the front page for recent forum posts.

Yeah thats all well and good but what about the majority of us who use category View? If we just had the recent forum bit back alot of us would be soo much happier with the new skin.

I like it, i just miss the Recent Forum Posts section on the front page. Any way i can get that back? Other that that, im loving the new skin :p

Ditto - these new enhancements kick ass.

I can't help but agree about the forum topics display on the main page though.

I've been a regular visitor to Neowin since before there were even 1000 registered members; I guess I'm old-school. :p

"Where unprofessional journalism looks better" just took on a whole new meaning for me today. :)

In any event, thank you Neowin team - this is an awesome gift.

EDIT: Just found out that the menu design for the forums was done to clean up the page. Frankly, I can't stand these "lite" styles/skin elements -- I prefer full featured -- but it'll all good and I'll adapt. I'm not that old yet! :cool:

Edited by DELTA75329

Umm, I was in the Dr Who topic and i noticed that the spoiler tags weren't working, maybe its just me.

hmm

Ok, it seems old spoiler tags aren't working then. :p

spoilersnotowrkingbm0.jpg

I think I'm in LOVE :D.

Brilliant. Simply brilliant. Great job, to all that worked so hard on it - it was worth the wait :)

Edited by Aeden

Umm, I was in the Dr Who topic and i noticed that the spoiler tags weren't working, maybe its just me.

hmm

Ok, it seems old spoiler tags aren't working then. :p

spoilersnotowrkingbm0.jpg

Working fine for me over here - when I mouse over, the text is revealed just as it should be.

Wow, just wow. Yesterday the sections at the top weren't updating, and today when I view the front page, I thought they removed the feature because it was broken at the moment. Then I hovered over a tab and the sections droped down. I was like woah. Then I went to the forums, and nearly soiled myself. It's here! It's finally here! Thanks so much Neowin.

Working fine for me over here - when I mouse over, the text is revealed just as it should be.

The one in the post i just made did, but anything form before the update I'm guessing don't seem to be working for me.

Having granted the wish for IPB theme, I now wish we had the old, bigger more cartoonish rating stars...

The one in the post i just made did, but anything form before the update I'm guessing don't seem to be working for me.

Probably a glitch from the upgrade - glad all is well. :)