Whats new about Shift Forums

Welcome to the new default Shift theme for the forums.

The forums finally take on the same style of the main page in this updated version of Shift, made compatible with all major browsers and slightly updated cleaned up code.

We have had an extensive staff beta and I am sure members will find bugs here and there, these will be ironed out over the next few days. Please use Bug Tracker when submitting issues with this theme and make sure you state which browser you are using, if possible include a screen-shot of the problem.

These are a few of the major changes applied to the default theme, and some what different from Swift:

• Forum header is cleaner, less confusing content at the top of the page
  • The Forum navigation shows 2 levels, easier viewing when browsing forum levels
  • The Topics and Forum categories now alternate in color, rather than alternating column colors
  • User names now retain their formatting on forum & topic indexes (except for Last Topic by cells)
  • New and unread Topics are now bold (this will become very helpful and takes getting used to)
  • Recent news/forum/blog items can be viewed by hovering on the tab (this behavior can be disabled in usercp board options)
  • One Quick Links menu allows you to view all the board options anywhere on the board, not just from the index
  • Quick Reply now uses the new IPB 2.x editor, rather than the old 1.x style

Swift has served us well! It has been the default forum theme for about 6 years now. It's fitting that this new theme launches exactly 6 years after our re-launched vBulletin forums in July 2001.

We know that everything won't be perfect, so bear with us as we squash the last bugs.

Different colors will be launched when we are satisfied that the theme is completed.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

This style is just oozing with the WOW factor. Great job lads, you managed to pull off one of the greatest styles I have ever seen on a website. Plain simple and full of life.

Ya know.. now that I'm trying this mouse-over menu thing, I can't help but admit that I like it. I can go to directly to a news item from the forum without hitting the main page. This saves me time. You guys didn't just make this change because you felt like messing with a design that already worked just fine -- and it did -- you genuinely performed purposeful and thoughtful tweaks. Not too many old-schoolers like myself favor changing something that just works; I would have been against the change had it been put up to a vote without a chance to try it out. But it's the integration between the forums and the news pages that has won me over. It really feels, for the first time in Neowin's history, like a single, uniform site.

Color me impressed.

The new Shift theme: Awesome.

But, I also am digging that new IP.Board Default Theme, looks quite nice! Think maybe you could change the IP.B logo to the Neowin logo and maybe try to offer it on the front page too? It's hot!

I like the new forum designs. Very good work!

Also, i may be blind but is there a way to view up to date recent forum topics on the front page? There used to be a refresh button, just wondering how it works now.

Love the new theme, better than I thought it'd look.

I wouldn't mind having the recent forum posts back, but I guess I might get used to it in the new position.

Great job guys (Y) Thanks!

Wow this is such a nice change to see it honestly is quite possibly the best forum on teh net now its great just takes a while to load thats all.

Christ, how awesome is this? :woot: I'm loving it so much i'm almost erect! :omg:

:|