• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

MVC's, the ones we missed

Fred Derf    217
Well it's the old-age thing of "he doesn't have many posts, I'd rather truth the advice of the other guy, he has a lot more".

I didn't see that sort of sentiment when the first 20 MVCs were chosen however. The staff do not value post count as highly as some members do.

How many technical posts do I have? (well, actually, even if only 1% of my posts are technical then I still have a fair number :D )

+Elliot B.    1,532
If you see someone with a problem you can solve, post the solution and the guy will probably be thankful ;)

I always have done.

Maybe I've just thought too much about it. I'll leave it at that then :)

Damo R.    29,658

Most if not all of my posts come from Media Section and I think that means that I have like a Media Guru and not someone who gives advice so I am a bit like King Mustard really when it comes down to posts lacking in tech dept.

+Audioboxer    2,876

Well done guys (Y)

raskren    0

Hey guys,

The MVC award seems to honor contributions not discussions or posts. The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

To those of you that think you deserve the award but didn't receive one, take a moment to think about it. You had to be nominated by someone. So apparently nobody thought your reign in the forums was contributory enough to get the badge.

Be more helpful, thoughtful, and selfless in 2008 and you might be in the running!

Sethos    270
Hey guys,

The MVC award seems to honor contributions not discussions or posts.

Yees, contributions :shiftyninja:

moneybag.jpg

spenser.d    1,100
You are kidding me, right?

I've been here for some time ( Long than one would think :ninja: ), I have never looked at a members 'section-dedication' if they gave me advice/help. I haven't even heard of anyone turning down help, because the member had more posts in another section, It's absurd.

If you see someone with a problem you can solve, post the solution and the guy will probably be thankful ;)

+1

I don't really understand why you'd put much thought into a post count or section dedication.

I also don't understand why people put so much emotion into their thread ratings. I know I've never looked at a thread rating before entering it (I'm not sure I even knew there was a thread rating until a few months ago, and I still don't look at them). It's a bogus rating and means nothing - one man's trash is another's treasure - and if the one who thinks it's trash is the only one handing out ratings, you get a bogus rating system.

-Spenser

Colin-uk    134
Well it's the old-age thing of "he doesn't have many posts, I'd rather truth the advice of the other guy, he has a lot more".

Whilst that is daft, people still believe it and I am worried people will not take any advice I give seriously due to my apparent higher activity in the General Discussion forum (which is on similar lines to the above).

I doubt people trust replies based on percentages of post count.

15% of my posts are in General discussion but i dont think any one thinks any less of my posts.

Steven P.    13,589
You are kidding me, right?

I've been here for some time ( Long than one would think :ninja: ), I have never looked at a members 'section-dedication' if they gave me advice/help. I haven't even heard of anyone turning down help, because the member had more posts in another section, It's absurd.

Exactly lol (Y)

Panacik    27

Whilst that is daft, people still believe it and I am worried people will not take any advice I give seriously due to my apparent higher activity in the General Discussion forum (which is on similar lines to the above).

The only problem that will happen now is that people who do not truelly understand and/or have just joined the forums, may not take advice seriously from people who are not in that group and will also take what people in that group say as the word of god, even if what they say is wrong.

I know some people do this with mods and admins, even if they are wrong, but because of their status, they take their word and accept it to be true.

Personally i see this as a failing system, but time will tell i suppose.

Steven P.    13,589
The only problem that will happen now is that people who do not truelly understand and/or have just joined the forums, may not take advice seriously from people who are not in that group and will also take what people in that group say as the word of god, even if what they say is wrong.

I know some people do this with mods and admins, even if they are wrong, but because of their status, they take their word and accept it to be true.

Personally i see this as a failing system, but time will tell i suppose.

Hey I never thought Subscribers would work either but I was proven wrong on that!

Fred Derf    217

Luckily I always happen to be right. :p

Brian M.    778

You made a spelling mistake once!!

We have proof... somewhere :p

metal_dragen    30

Thanks for everyone who nominated me and thanks to all the members for the congrats. Congrats to all the other MVCs as well. :D

tunafish    7

i feel missed..... I dedicated a fair bit of time in the hardware forum :(

Vice    1,593

As have we all in one time or another. But they can't give badges to everyone who helps out I guess just the ones that stick out.

Maybe I should add a big bright pink signature and avatar I'd get noticed then.

raskren    0

There should be a comma after "Luckily!"

Fred Derf    217
There should be a comma after "Luckily!"

Commas have fallen out of fashion since I went to school. I often wonder if I still use them too much.

Barbara Child claims that in American English there is a trend toward a decreased use of the comma (Child, 1992, p. 398). This is reinforced by an article, by Robert J. Samuelson, in Newsweek.[8] Lynne Truss says that this is equally true in the UK and has been a slow, steady trend for at least a century:

“ Nowadays… A passage peppered with commas — which in the past would have indicated painstaking and authoritative editorial attention — smacks simply of no backbone. People who put in all the commas betray themselves as moral weaklings with empty lives and out-of-date reference books. (Truss, 2004, p. 97–98) ”

raskren    0
Barbara Child claims that in American English there is a trend toward a decreased use of the comma (Child, 1992, p. 398). This is reinforced by an article, by Robert J. Samuelson, in Newsweek.[8] Lynne Truss says that this is equally true in the UK and has been a slow, steady trend for at least a century:

" Nowadays? A passage peppered with commas ? which in the past would have indicated painstaking and authoritative editorial attention ? smacks simply of no backbone. People who put in all the commas betray themselves as moral weaklings with empty lives and out-of-date reference books. (Truss, 2004, p. 97?98) "

Ouch, that, last, passage, was, a, bit, harsh!

BTW, who is Lynne Truss and who made her the comma authority?

+Elliot B.    1,532
Ouch, that, last, passage, was, a, bit, harsh!

BTW, who is Lynne Truss and who made her the comma authority?

Me.

Panacik    27
Hey I never thought Subscribers would work either but I was proven wrong on that!

Subscribers is different. Many forums have these and the reasons behind them are clear... to help pay to keep the forum server running etc.

However although i understand the ethics behind the new group, i do think it will cause more problems than not and also cause a lot of flaming and directed hatred toward members of the group. However only time can tell if im right or wrong and i hope i am wrong obviously.

^ As i said above...

+Mystic    10

I hope to be considered for this honor one day too, apparently I completely missed information when the MVC was being formed in the first place. Thanks Neobond for the development of this, there have been some people who have really helped out the forums and the MVC gives them a little recognition now.

Fred Derf    217
I hope to be considered for this honor one day too, apparently I completely missed information when the MVC was being formed in the first place. Thanks Neobond for the development of this, there have been some people who have really helped out the forums and the MVC gives them a little recognition now.

There was no pre-announcement. The current MVCs woke up one day and noticed they had a badge. This was something that the staff and veterans had been working on for some time in private.

+Mystic    10
There was no pre-announcement. The current MVCs woke up one day and noticed they had a badge. This was something that the staff and veterans had been working on for some time in private.

Ah, my mistake then. I wondered why I hadn't heard anything one day and just saw something about MVC (which I had never heard of). Thanks for the information :p

DELTETHISACCOUNT    0

Gawd those signatures look nice! I would give anything for one of those. O.o