MVC's, the ones we missed

Subscribers is different. Many forums have these and the reasons behind them are clear... to help pay to keep the forum server running etc.

However although i understand the ethics behind the new group, i do think it will cause more problems than not and also cause a lot of flaming and directed hatred toward members of the group. However only time can tell if im right or wrong and i hope i am wrong obviously.

Yeah I hope it all works out but there will be people who will whine till the sun goes down, but looking at the members chosen they have contributed where it matters.

Yeah I hope it all works out but there will be people who will whine till the sun goes down, but looking at the members chosen they have contributed where it matters.

Yeah they did. But obviously there will be a lot of other members who will feel rejected and think whats the point. I can see this turning some members away when they see others getting the badge yet they feel they deserve it.

Yeah they did. But obviously there will be a lot of other members who will feel rejected and think whats the point. I can see this turning some members away when they see others getting the badge yet they feel they deserve it.

Yeah but the fact is the staff and veterans chose the people who are now mvc's so you can either take it up with them or you can just sit back and enjoy the forum, because even tho there are people with a bit more authority then us normal members it doesn't change the forum as a whole.

Yeah but the fact is the staff and veterans chose the people who are now mvc's so you can either take it up with them or you can just sit back and enjoy the forum, because even tho there are people with a bit more authority then us normal members it doesn't change the forum as a whole.

I know what your saying mate, but there are many members who will not see it like we do.

I know what your saying mate, but there are many members who will not see it like we do.

*sigh*

Just like real life some get the push some don't!

There was no pre-announcement. The current MVCs woke up one day and noticed they had a badge. This was something that the staff and veterans had been working on for some time in private.

Heh, I woke up, opened up Firefox and start reading a news post about a new "Most Valued Contributors" group, and I think, "Wow, it would be so cool if I was chosen!" Well I checked the list and sure enough I was there. I'm still floored about it. I still feel highly undeserving of it, but I'm not about to ask to be taken out of it :p

This system is not perfect and no one is pretending it is. Not everyone who deserves the mvc will have one ..yet...but that doesn't mean that they'll never have one. Look at this thread "the ones we missed", what does that tell you?

If someone feels rejected then I think it's because they don't understand what this is about. The idea is to try and reward people for good contributions, but it won't work if 80% of members got the badge on day one. Just like the forum wouldn't work if 80% of people were made moderators, even if all of them are decent and trustworthy people *shudders at the idea*. I hope anyone who is peeved can understand this.

It's not about saying other people aren't good enough, it's meant to be a positive action. To react with jealousy is childish. To react with "I'm going to give up and leave because it's hard" is what losers do.

This system is not perfect and no one is pretending it is. Not everyone who deserves the mvc will have one ..yet...but that doesn't mean that they'll never have one. Look at this thread "the ones we missed", what does that tell you?

If someone feels rejected then I think it's because they don't understand what this is about. The idea is to try and reward people for good contributions, but it won't work if 80% of members got the badge on day one. Just like the forum wouldn't work if 80% of people were made moderators, even if all of them are decent and trustworthy people *shudders at the idea*. I hope anyone who is peeved can understand this.

It's not about saying other people aren't good enough, it's meant to be a positive action. To react with jealousy is childish. To react with "I'm going to give up and leave because it's hard" is what losers do.

Well said (Y)

Radish?

Well sai(Y)Y)

Radish?

Well well said indeed, I totally agree.

At first when reading about them, I'll be honest and say I was a little jealous, its something you have made for certain people you choose, its something people re going to want to want and strive to become.

But the jealousy passed quickly and I realised this isn't something given to people who the Mods and Admin prefer, this is something that has been given for those who have given to the community.

This I think has been missed by people.

I don't really see the point in helping people out in the Hardware forum anymore as I know the MVC's will chime in and there word will be taken as gospel as they are MVC's. So giving a non-MVC opinion now to me at-least is just pointless. I guess I'll just stick in the General Discussion forum from now on, if that.

glad for chconline :)

Exactly, If anyone in Hardware Hangout deserves it he does. His opinions on hardware usually come from hands-on experience, not just info spouted from the manufacturer. Glad he got the recognition he deserves.

And Congrats to all the other MVC's.

I don't really see the point in helping people out in the Hardware forum anymore as I know the MVC's will chime in and there word will be taken as gospel as they are MVC's. So giving a non-MVC opinion now to me at-least is just pointless. I guess I'll just stick in the General Discussion forum from now on, if that.

You can still help someone out. You just *might* have to back up a reason for something other than what a MVC *suggests*, but your opinion is STILL needed, and most likely wanted.

Edited by CrashGordon

Exactly, If anyone in Hardware Hangout deserves it he does. His opinions on hardware usually come from hands-on experience, not just info spouted from the manufacturer. Glad he got the recognition he deserves.

And Congrats to all the other MVC's.

And yet the hardware he recommends you to buy is OCz, Asus and Seasonic. The only 3 companies that have sent him Free hardware to keep and review lol

And yet the hardware he recommends you to buy is OCz, Asus and Seasonic. The only 3 companies that have sent him Free hardware to keep and review lol

Free stuff or not, still the best companies out there for hardware.

Free stuff or not, still the best companies out there for hardware.

Well is that really true?

Asus boards are almost identical to the competition. And infact some of them are based on reference designs by Intel and Foxconn (Subtract from NVIDIA). OCZ RAM uses D9 chips which is the parent company of Crucial. The same D9 chips used in Corsair RAM and all other decent RAM. Seasonic PSU's are not designed by them but are infact OEM production units that are commonly used in Corsair and other companies products.

I mean what is unique about any of these 3 companies apart from them having lots of stock to send to reviewers for some good publicity on forums :p?

Lol!

An MVC is an MVC, your opinion if given will still be counted and I doubt anyone would ignore someone simply because they didn't have the lil badge, to think so is silly.

No offence intended but you sound like nothing but what I would call a sour grape. :p

eh...Corsair, Gskill, Teamgroup, Mushkin, Crucial all make good sticks.

Motherboards, have you seen the reviews for Abit's IP35 line? Or Gigabyte's P35 line? yepp, practically the same.

Power supplies, Seasonic is good yes, but don't forget about Corsair. Most people aren't willing to drop the money on a Seasonic power supply, Corsair filles the midend mid budget market fine. Thermaltake's Toughpower line is awesome in the upper range, Silverstone makes good power supplies..PC Power and Cooling anyone?

Basically, there's no best, but there are better priced or better fitting options out there.

edit: and pet peeve...vice, Micron D9GMH and D9GKX are the specific D9's modules that overclock well, not all D9's overclock well. :p

Well my MoBo of choice is AND has been ASUS for... a LOOOOOONG time. OCZ is fine, but so is Crucial, Corsair, G. Skill, Patriot, Mushkin. As far as PSU's go Antec makes fine ones, Power PC & Cooling does too... oh wait didn't they get bought out by OCZ?

When you ask someones OPINION on THE BEST **** to get for your cash, what do you expect... junk parts? I hope not.

Lol!

An MVC is an MVC, your opinion if given will still be counted and I doubt anyone would ignore someone simply because they didn't have the lil badge, to think so is silly.

No offence intended but you sound like nothing but what I would call a sour grape. :p

I'm seriously not. If I was offered it I wouldn't accept it because it alienates contributors who were not chosen even if they do just as much as the ones who are chosen. Gwai Lo for instance was not active since September. No offence to him, his posts are always informative and I have respect for him and his posts but if your giving tags to inactive contributors then why should the active ones bother to post?

I have to say that I think gwai lo's posts do merit mvc status. Some of the other choices on there perhaps not. like <snipped> who I find his posts are quite borderline abusive. His a networking god no question and he knows his stuff but rewarding some of his posts which are quite irate to me is irritational for a site like neowin that aims to distance itself from such behavier. I'm not the only one that feels this way I mean I'm sure like many on Neowin we keep touch off the board via MSN and other IM services and the MVC has been a hot topic of late. Many feel the way that rich has explained on the earlier pages.

Yeah i was rather baffled when i got the notification as I haven't been around in the previous months before this.

Yeah I brought it up and made everyone worry :laugh:

I'm seriously not. If I was offered it I wouldn't accept it because it alienates contributors who were not chosen even if they do just as much as the ones who are chosen. Gwai Lo for instance was not active since September. No offence to him, his posts are always informative and I have respect for him and his posts but if your giving tags to inactive contributors then why should the active ones bother to post?

It's not about post count. It is supposed to be a recognition of people who seem to be technically able to help and also willing to help. Perhaps you do as well, I do not personally visit HH as much as other staffers do so I can honestly not comment on that. If so then you may be added at a later time. There wasn't any mathematical analysis involved here it was just the names of people that came to our minds as good examples. I cannot claim that it will be 100% accurate. We already added four people that were missed.

I do not expect that new visitors will take the word of a MVC as gospel and ignore the other posters. New visitors probably suffer from badge overload. Besides, a person could be a MVC for their programming skills and their opinion on motherboards could be way off base. I wouldn't recommend anyone trust a MVC blindly any more than they would trust a Subscriber to tell them how we run things. They might be right, they might not.