Acid 3 - The Web Browsers Test

To really, really pass the test, the animation has to be smooth.

Clicking on the A in Acid3 after the test has run will tell you the times of tests that took too long.

I'd give it another day or two before these issues are fixed. Webkit are definitely fixing these bugs fast.

I mean, do you actually checked the link I just posted? Because I did, and I just tried the Acid3 test and it passed...

In case you missed the direct link, http://nightly.webkit.org/

Unless you mean like in some sort of subliminal way...

Acid3 actually consists of ~201 tests. The first 100 concern compliancy with portions of various web standards. Safari excels there. The browser must also handle the compliancy tests gracefully, breezing through them with high performance. Safari does pretty good on that set of 100 tests but it has problems with its performance on tests 25, 65, and perhaps another one that I can't recall at the moment. The last test(s) concerns pixel-for-pixel accuracy. Safari does pretty good on that part as well but it has one notable problem: the spacing between the colored boxes is 1px too small/narrow. (It's debatable whether the pixel-for-pixel accuracy test applies to fonts as well. If that is the case, Safari will need to improve its GDI font support.) Safari isn't out of the woods yet.

lol.. i'm using webkit which has 100/100. Opera's build isn't even downloadable.. go webkit!

I fail to see the need to put down the Opera Software team. As I said, nobody has passed the test yet.

Most people are very interested in browser compatibility with standards these days, really strange!. I think is just another excuse to support the browser of their preference, more than the fact of the the advantages that brings the support or not support these standards :hmmm:

Edited by daniel_rh

So the 100/100 means nothing if the other conditions are not met.

Conditions for a pass:

1. Default browser settings.

2. 100/100

3. smooth animation

4. final page has to look like the reference rendering pixel by pixel

Opera did have the space missing in"test,a" when I saw a better screenshot of their 100/100. I guess most people will go by the 100/100 score only (Like I did).

So the 100/100 means nothing if the other conditions are not met.

Conditions for a pass:

1. Default browser settings.

2. 100/100

3. smooth animation

4. final page has to look like the reference rendering pixel by pixel

Opera did have the space missing in"test,a" when I saw a better screenshot of their 100/100. I guess most people will go by the 100/100 score only (Like I did).

Correct. It must meet all 4 criteria, otherwise the browser hasn't truly passed.

I'm sure the Opera developers wouldn't have announced getting 100/100 if they didn't pass the test properly. NEway, it's good that two browsers have already put in the effort to meet the standard - it's disappointing that Firefox has fallen behind and IE8 has only just managed to pass Acid2. The Firefox developers need to get their act sorted as progress has been slow and feature additions minimal for Firefox 3. Opera is constantly improving and I can see myself using it as my default browser if it keeps doing so. The Wand feature is great and the mouse gestures of much higher quality than the Firefox extensions, though lack of an automated AdBlock (or the ability to drag images from the browser into a folder) is a disadvantage.

Yeah, I'm well aware of that method - it worked as well as AdBlock usually does, though without autoupdating it's inconvenient if I need to update it. There are a few other niggles as well (I can't remember them all now) but I was able to use it as my default browser for a 2-3 weeks before eventually going back to Firefox... that's a record for me. One niggle was that there's no button or checkbox to make it the default browser, only the prompt at first startup (if you choose not to permanently ignore it) - this meant that when I was trying the 9.5 beta it kept defaulting to the standard 9.2 version.

Cool. I'm getting 100/100 now. (See note.) I'm about to install Photoshop and scrutinize for pixel-for-pixel accuracy now :)

Note: Tests 26 and 65 were passed but were less than 30fps on my machine—the CPU is an AMD Athlon 1.33 Ghz, the memory is 768 MB of PC-2100 at Cas 2.5. I haven't looked at the code for those tests yet to see if it's a network latency problem, if my computer is too slow, or if Safari itself is too slow. It would be nice if someone could zip up all the relevant files for Acid3 so the test could be run locally to remove network latency as a potential cause.

You don't need to compile your own :)

Install Safari. Then, download the latest Webkit. Extract Webkit from the ZIP file. Double-click "run-nightly-webkit.cmd" and Safari will open and use the latest Webkit which gets 100/100. You can then run to Acid3 and test for yourself.