Acid 3 - The Web Browsers Test

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2008/...-the-acid3-test

Opera and the Acid3 Test

We have some excellent news! Lars Erik Bolstad, the Head of Core Technology at Opera Software, sent me the following information to share:

acid3_100.png

I have a quick update on where we are with Acid3.

Since the test was officially announced recently, our Core developers have been hard at work fixing bugs and adding the missing standards support.

Today we reached a 100% pass rate for the first time! There are some remaining issues yet to be fixed, but we hope to have those sorted out shortly.

We will release a technical preview version on labs.opera.com within the next week or so. For now, the screenshot above shows the Acid3 test as rendered in our latest WinGogi Desktop build. WinGogi is the Windows version of our reference builds used for the internal testing of Opera's platform independent Core.

Opera came out of nowhere! Some of the new things you can do with CSS are very cool IMO.

It didn't come out of nowhere... they were just working on Acid3 separately from the regular Kestrel builds, hence their post-Kestrel builds passed. There was also probably much secrecy involved so that the others wouldn't work harder. :p

Look what my IE8 got ;)

Yeah, I knew the IE8 team would just hardcore the Acid3 webpage to the reference image.

(Just like Acid2)

*hides*

The Firefox nightlies don't seem to be improving at all anymore.... I guess webkit is the only browser with a full focus on Acid3.

Somehow, these tests seem to always show up when Firefox is near the end of a development cycle in Gecko; It's not really Mozilla's fault, it's just unfortunate.

They've pretty much fixed what they can for fx3, anything else is going to need to involve bigger (destabilizing) changes.

It'd be cool if this whole entire time, the team at Mozilla has been working their butts off on Acid3 and release the nightly that scores 100 like right before WebKit does. That would be freakin sweet.

Everything Mozilla does is public. That's why unusable developmental builds get so many pointless threads started for them.

I'm not convinced that Acid tests are really useful in the real world. Don't get me wrong, I support standards, but it seems the Acid test purposely tests the areas that the browsers will interpret differently rather than the areas that are most commonly used in web design.

I'm currently working on a fairly complicated design, and so far it renders near perfectly in FF, Opera and IE5-7 with only 2 "* html" bits in my CSS. I personally think that if you are needing hundreds of hacks, you're doing something wrong (or plain lazy, which I've come to realise is very common amongst web designers/developers).

Even if standards were applied flawlessly across all browsers, some things (fonts) will never be the same across all browsers and all systems.

The text-shadow property used in Acid3 would be the first cross-browser supported way to display shadow under text, actually. It is a really cool addiction.

Webkit gets 100/100 now. No doubt my choice on OS X, I'm looking forward to seeing a release of Opera might just be my Windows browser.

firefox devs have pretty much written off acid 3. they did the same thing with acid 2. probably won't see it completely supported till firefox 4. a real shame.

firefox devs have pretty much written off acid 3. they did the same thing with acid 2. probably won't see it completely supported till firefox 4. a real shame.

So true since it's such a popular browser. Of course IE is even larger but we all know it won't pass Acid 3 for a while.

http://ln.hixie.ch/?start=1206578003&count=1

Last minute change to Acid3 (test wasn't in line with the standards)

This was posted after Opera hit 100/100, and before Safari hit 100/100, So is Opera back on 99/100 (It should be, since the test was wrong)

And the Firefox guys didn't "write off" Acid2, it required fairly large changes to the rendering engine (look up the reflow branch)

Would you really rather them push back fx3's release another 2 or 3 months?

Even when the current release branch (fx2) still doesn't pass acid 2? :wacko:

-----------------------------------------------------

Honestly, for a development team to spend all their time racing to be the first push an unofficial release to pass an acid test is kind of stupid.

Passing the test is supposed to be an indicator of how robust a job the rendering engine does overall. If you are racing to patch acid test specific bugs, you're destroying the point of the test in the first place.

Would you really rather them push back fx3's release another 2 or 3 months?
Personally I'd like to see them get 3.0 out soonish and then look at having acid support in a "soon after" release, something like 3.2 or 3.5 or whatever they go to after 3. That or get 4.0 out within 9 months. I dont want acid 3 to delay ffx 3 now, but it's be nice if it didnt take too long for them to support it (or at least 90+%).

Nobody has passed the test yet.

I mean, do you actually checked the link I just posted? Because I did, and I just tried the Acid3 test and it passed...

In case you missed the direct link, http://nightly.webkit.org/

Unless you mean like in some sort of subliminal way...

To really, really pass the test, the animation has to be smooth.

Clicking on the A in Acid3 after the test has run will tell you the times of tests that took too long.