WWDC '08

I am unsure about it but it does make sense :/ I just don't see why Apple would do this does seem out of type for them. Although they do permit Windows on a Mac, so perhaps it has to go both ways around :)

Except you know, providing drivers for the masses of hardware out there.

Isn't it clear? They're unifying the OS X name because it will all be abstract now between Macs and their touch devices. Cocoa touch is coming to desktop macs. (a tablet, if you may)

Except you know, providing drivers for the masses of hardware out there.

Isn't it clear? They're unifying the OS X name because it will all be abstract now between Macs and their touch devices. Cocoa touch is coming to desktop macs. (a tablet, if you may)

I thought about this and came up with a solution.

Apple will only support OS X on specific hardware (similar to what they do now, but from other OEMs such as Dell, HP, etc.). It really solves that problem.

BTW, I agree that this is highly unlikely. Most posts are more wishful thinking :p

Apple will only support OS X on specific hardware (similar to what they do now, but from other OEMs such as Dell, HP, etc.). It really solves that problem.

I really don't see that happening at all.

BTW, I agree that this is highly unlikely. Most posts are more wishful thinking :p

Does make the most sense though :p they'd be able to support the drvers more easily :p

I really don't see that happening at all.

I don't know what your opinion on them moving to the x86 platform was, but I remember reading those same types of posts even a day before the announcement :p

I think it is possible, but again, I doubt it too. Just playing devil's advocate here ;)

Mac OS price increase by three-fold? You nuts? lol

Only sales figure I have is that they sold 2.3 million macs in the first quarter of the year. (mostly Macbooks and iMacs likely, followed by Macbook Pro and Mac Pros). They also sold 2 million Leopard copies the first two weeks of release. (at $129)

Actually $129 is upgrade price so $299 for full version isn't that bad?

I don't see Apple doing it though, doesn't make sense :/

IMO Apple will not be taking the risk of releasing OSX in the wild. They have too much at stake. Rather, a slow progression to product diversification and market penetration will be their way to innovate and grow.

IMO Apple will not be taking the risk of releasing OSX in the wild. They have too much at stake. Rather, a slow progression to product diversification and market penetration will be their way to innovate and grow.

I agree, plus Apple does have something like $15 billion in cash. So they certainly aren't hurting.

Actually $129 is upgrade price so $299 for full version isn't that bad?

I don't see Apple doing it though, doesn't make sense :/

Eh? There's no upgrade or full Leopard discs. Just one license version for $113 and 5 license for $170.

Are you calling my case a beige box? :whistle:

My next build will be more smexy than a Mac Pro and I'd love to have OS X on it.

If you've ever taken a look at the build quality of a Mac Pro (or even the Powermac before it) you'd know it'd have to be a pretty decent PC case to get anywhere near it. It really is a solid, beautifully built piece of kit. I inherited a Powermac G5 at work (for free!) off someone in another team and I was stunned at how sturdy and how special it was.. really really nice.

Are you calling my case a beige box? :whistle:

My next build will be more smexy than a Mac Pro and I'd love to have OS X on it.

[Yoda]Silver paint and plastic, a Mac it does not make...[/Yoda]

[Yoda]Silver paint and plastic, a Mac it does not make...[/Yoda]

Yoda Sarcasm aside, I'm sure you realise that the case pictured is an Antec P182, and only uses plastic between layers of aluminium for noise dampening...

It's a very nice case, maybe not quite as nice as the Mac Pro case (but damn close if you ask me), but we have to remember it is made to fit a far more wide ranging set of components.

Yoda Sarcasm aside, I'm sure you realise that the case pictured is an Antec P182, and only uses plastic between layers of aluminium for noise dampening...

It's a very nice case, maybe not quite as nice as the Mac Pro case (but damn close if you ask me), but we have to remember it is made to fit a far more wide ranging set of components.

Yes, humor and sarcasm aside it is a decent case, however I've yet to ever (honestly) see a case on par with the Mac Pro case. It is the most stable and well designed case I've ever seen in my years of computing. As far as PC's go, the Antec case is a wonderful piece of hardware for what it is. :)

Yes, humor and sarcasm aside it is a decent case, however I've yet to ever (honestly) see a case on par with the Mac Pro case. It is the most stable and well designed case I've ever seen in my years of computing. As far as PC's go, the Antec case is a wonderful piece of hardware for what it is. :)

Yes, but if you know exactly what is going to go inside a case you can design it precisely around those components. That's the Apple advantage, the Mac Pro isn't a better design on a level playing field, I would argue that given the constraints, the Antec design team would win in having the best design for a 'generic' case (something that Apple has never done)... again, in my opinion.

If they do add multi touch in mac osx i wonder what the reaction would be. I bet they would show some intresting demos, compared to microsofts lame one

I can see apple getting this first and it actully sucucding

Just not 'feeing' multitouch at all - a mouse still seems a quicker, easier way of doing it. Why would I want to smear finger prints all over my computer screen?

If they do add multi touch in mac osx i wonder what the reaction would be. I bet they would show some intresting demos, compared to microsofts lame one

I can see apple getting this first and it actully sucucding

Technically multi touch is already present in their MacBook Airs and Pros. IMO it sucks, but it's a natural progression from the 2-finger scroll/click.

Yoda would laugh @ Cara for such a trademark comment :laugh:

Yoda would laugh @ Cara for such a trademark comment :laugh:

Even I run low on material this time of year! ;)

Seriously though, WWDC promises to be EXTREMELY good this year. :)

I'm surprised that no one reasoned that the reason for the dropping of the name was to unify it for both Mac and iPhone/iTouch.

I suggested that as soon as it was mentioned. Seems like logical reasoning to me.

Apple is not large enough as a software company to release OS X on PC's. Just think about the problems Microsoft had with drivers on Vista. Microsoft is a much bigger company, and trying to get as many devices as possible to just work has proven to be very difficult for them with each release of an operating system.

If anything, Apple's entry into Intel has been giving them a lot of headaches with hardware compatibility. When Leopard first came out, there were various users with various Mac models that were having some wacky driver-related issues. Their resources are being stretched thin between the PowerPC hardware, and all the variations in Intel macs. That is why I do not think Apple would dare release a PC version of their OS.

On another note, didn't Apple announce at WWDC 2006 that Leopard was going to be the last PowerPC release? For some reason, I keep thinking that they already announced that.

Even I run low on material this time of year! ;)

Seriously though, WWDC promises to be EXTREMELY good this year. :)

Yar it happens to the best of us apparently :laugh:

If you think PC users getting OS X is absurd for us to think about, then that's a fair statement but just to let you know I would most certainly buy a copy if such a thing happened.

But granted there's a whole lot of love @ WWDC indeed :yes:

Do you really think Apple will go in the hassle of writing like 10 billion drivers just to get this thing half working on a PC, when their Mac sales are already increasing more than anyone else's?

In 10.6 (if they will talk about it), a thing I'd like is the implementation of something like better support for games. They don't have DirectX, people don't really like to code in OpenGL, etc. etc. and Apple doesn't care right now about video games at all, when it is a great industry and a turning point when deciding if you want a Mac or a PC.

If they ever realize that and work hard in 10.6 to support video games correctly, mabe companies will be able to do a Mac version and people will finally stop pointing out that Macs are not for video games. Of course not!!! There's no support from Apple! It's pretty much the only thing Windows users can report to me and all I can say is "errr.... yeah you're right... ******"

We have to say that they were happy to have Sega and a couple of other companies to develop video games on OS X iPhone. They could only be happier to have more developers on the Mac.