• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

WWDC '08

Cara    0

Seriously! How do people get these pictures so fast?! LOL, you guys are amazing.

There has been a very conscious effort internally to refer to OS X as OS X and not Mac OS X, it's been a challenge for me since I'm use to saying Mac OS X. I think this is indeed part of a greater branding campaign, I know no one at Apple wanted...

Mac OS X Leopard

Mac OS X Mobile

Mac OS X Tablet

Things like that, a coordinated branding as simply 'OS X' is a simplistic way to handle things in true Apple fashion. :)

PyX    140

Hey, this OS X Tablet isn't crazy.

I mean, they show us that there is OS X iPhone which will be updated and OS X Leopard which will see at least a minor update soon.

It probably advertises that right now, there are two OS X, but there will be another one, OS X Tablet ?

Cara    0
Hey, this OS X Tablet isn't crazy.

I mean, they show us that there is OS X iPhone which will be updated and OS X Leopard which will see at least a minor update soon.

It probably advertises that right now, there are two OS X, but there will be another one, OS X Tablet ?

There may be different versions of the OS under the hood, but I'm thinking the branding is going to become more generic. Keep in mind, I'm speculating on the branding like you guys, I'm not privy to those details this close to launch. I know a few things that will be announced but this is the best time of the event, watching all the speculation as to what 'might' come, followed by the disappointment when products people dreamt up don't show up! ;)

saxondale.    15

Well i know the first thing im going to do when i get back to England in August, buy an iPhone. Also need to get my iPod Classic headphone jack fixed :(

NeoXY    7

So...excited....

Must...watch...stock...ticker..come...monday...

...bursting...with...excitement...lol'

Hurmoth    518
So...excited....

Must...watch...stock...ticker..come...monday...

...bursting...with...excitement...lol'

Yeah, I'm so glad I bought Apple stock (like two years ago now). I love seeing it climb :yes:

Blaine    2
...watching all the speculation as to what 'might' come, followed by the disappointment when products people dreamt up don't show up! ;)

Yeah :p If I never read the Apple rumor sites and just watched the special events, I would be blown away by Apple and very impressed. However, usually I have mixed feelings with some dissapointement. All the damn people and rumor sites create so much hype.

But it is still fun to dream :blush:

osirisX    2

Cara, tell Steve it should be OS X Touch instead of OS X iPhone :p

Cara    0
Cara, tell Steve it should be OS X Touch instead of OS X iPhone :p

I agree.

Windam    0

The sad thing is I'm expecting so much.

People like to get excited. I remember the last apple event that was majorly epic was in 2003 I believe when they introduced the redesign of the Aluminium Powerbook and 12" powerbook. Backlit keyboards were a new thing for me.

PL_    19

I don't like the idea of calling it OS X instead of Mac OS X.

Why not call it Mac OS X, iPhone OS X and Tablet OS X?

And what happens when we get to Mac OS 11? :laugh:

ynnoj    23
And what happens when we get to Mac OS 11? :laugh:

Logic tells me it'll be called OS XI :rolleyes:

ynnoj    23
I don't see this happening, but it is an interesting thought though...

Lack of 'Mac' Branding Raises Questions. OS X for PCs?

Some good points are raised, but surely that'd defeat the main purpose of buying Apple hardware - to run OS X. Sales would plummet with cheaper hardware available.

+Fahim S.    1,102
I don't see this happening, but it is an interesting thought though...

Lack of 'Mac' Branding Raises Questions. OS X for PCs?

Interesting, as much as I want this to happen - I'll believe it when I see it....

I want this to happen so that Microsoft have some real competition and are forced to step up their game (Linux, as great as it is, isn't real competition on the desktop in my opinion).

osirisX    2

OS X = $129

Mac Mini = $599

I know which one they'd prefer you to buy.

Anyways, this is the same bull**** as when they dropped Computer from their name. "No Computer in their name??!?!?!? OMG! That must mean they aren't making Macs anymore! OMGOMGOMGOMGOGMG OS X for PCs!!!!!"

Hurmoth    518

I agree that this is probably far fetched, but take it from this POV...

Those of us who are Mac fans, are we honestly going to purchase OS X for any PC over purchasing a Mac?

I think Apple will actually come out ahead if this were to happen. Macs will continue to sell just fine I think because there are fans of Apple hardware. And then of course those who cannot afford a Mac will buy the OS.

Again, far fetched, but possible.

Chicane-UK    675

I recently bought an iMac as it was the best spec Mac I could afford. To be quite honest, if Apple start selling OSX for normal PC's, i'd probably sell my iMac and go back to a PC as i'd get the best of both worlds. The iMac is lovely, don't get me wrong and it'd be a tough decision but as someone who still games (and is suffering with the graphics on the iMac) i'd have to seriously consider going back to the PC and dual booting Windows and OSX.

I really really don't think Apple would do this. It would totally alienate their most loyal followers, and to be honest 99% of the people who are installing OSX on their PC's currently with projects like OSx86 aren't doing it legally - they're just downloading Leopard off the net. I don't imagine many of them are actually going out and buying the physical media! Even if it came out as a legit, fully supported product for normal x86/x64 PC's, they'd still just download it.

Cara    0

With sales of the Macintosh platform on the rise faster than traditional beige-box machines, it would be a bad business decision to cut into that market by releasing OS X for beige-box.

I call BS on that rumor. (N)

giga    46
IMG_0497.jpg

Mathachew    149
IMG_0497.jpg

Open it... do it now... :shiftyninja:

Cara    0

Nothing like being conspicuous, we really should send things out in giant red Apple shaped boxes with blinking LED labels that say, "Unreleased product, don't peek!"

sundayx    127

A box labeled "This is not the iPhone - Steve Jobs"