[Football] Summer Transfers 2008

I think Ronaldo will stay with Man Utd. At least for another season.

Hope we sign Villa or Bebatov (Y)

I doubt Berbatov will move now Keane is wanted by l'pool Spurs will want to keep at least one of their top strikers.

Magpies sign Argentine Gutierrez

Newcastle have signed Argentina winger Jonas Gutierrez from Real Mallorca on a five-year deal for an undisclosed fee.

Gutierrez, 24, played in his country's 0-0 World Cup qualifier draw in Brazil last month and is Magpies manager Kevin Keegan's first major summer recruit.

"Jonas is a wonderful signing for us," said Keegan. "A lot of other clubs have been interested in him. He'll be a terrific addition to the squad.

"He's an exciting player and I'm sure our fans will enjoy watching him."

Gutierrez, who has been nicknamed 'Spiderman' because of the webbed mask he puts on for flamboyant goal celebrations, had previously been linked with a ?10m move to Portsmouth.

"I cannot tell you how excited I am to be joining Newcastle United," he said.

"The Premier League is a great place to play and I cannot wait to meet my new team-mates and prove myself to the Newcastle United fans."

The player began his career with Velez Sarsfield in Argentina and won the league title with them in 2005 before heading for Spain where he scored five goals in 96 appearances for Real Mallorca.

Source - BBC Sport

Not heard of him, but seems like a major signing for Newcastle. However, they have been known to spend lavishly on players who turn out to be total flops despite high potential in the last few years!

I haven't head of him either but they probably spent around ?10m so it could be a nice bit of business.

Moving off the topic, here's the top 20 from the lastest world rankings published by FIFA:

FIFA RANKINGS (previous position in brackets):

1. (4) Spain

2. (3) Italy

3. (5) Germany

4. (2) Brazil

5. (10) Netherlands

6. (1) Argentina

7. (15) Croatia

8. (6) Czech Republic

9. (11) Portugal

10. (7) France

11. (24) Russia

12. (12) Romania

13. (13) Cameroon

14. (20) Turkey

15. (9) England

16. (17) Scotland

17. (18) Bulgaria

18. (8) Greece

19. (14) Mexico

20. (16) Ghana

Certainly contains some surprises!

Top 3 all Europe..

Italy moved up a place!!??!!

Germany at 3! :p

Russia at 11.. England dropped to 15 below Turkey.. and my favourite.. Scotland now just 1 place below England :shifty:

Edited by Kralik

Why is Argentina down so much?

I'd assume they haven't played anything meaningful the last few months, Euro is a high ranking tournament.

Adriano Galliani says it is 'impossible' for Milan to meet Arsenal's demands for Emmanuel Adebayor.

Milan have made the Togo striker their top transfer target and had been favourites to sign Adebayor ahead of Barcelona.

Adebayor did little to clear up the confusion concerning his future last week, while there have been reports that Arsenal have rejected a ?25million offer from Barcelona.

But, according to Milan vice-president Galliani, the Gunners want 45million euros (?35.8million) before agreeing to Adebayor's departure.

Heerenveen have agreed a deal to sell defender Gianni Zuiverloon to West Bromwich Albion.

I'd assume they haven't played anything meaningful the last few months, Euro is a high ranking tournament.

Brazil hasn't played anything meaningful either and even lost to Paraguay in WC Qualifying yet they only dropped a couple spots.

Weird...

Barcelona have completed the signing of Brazilian defender Daniel Alves from La Liga rivals Sevilla for about ?23.5m.

The 25-year-old becomes the world's most expensive right-back after ending his six-year spell with Sevilla.

"Barcelona want a return to the success of two years ago and it's an honour that they are counting on me," he said.

Alves is Barca coach Pep Guardiola's fourth signing of the summer after defenders Gerard Pique and Martin Caceres and midfielder Seydou Keita.

Alves' Fitness Levels Are Extraordinary

Barcelona should have few fitness worries about their star signing of the summer after Daniel Alves' fitness levels were described as extraordinary by the Brazilian team's fitness coach.

Paulo Paixao is amazed at the new Blaugrana defender's physical condition and believes that he is the fittest player that he has ever worked with in his extensive career.

Alves has agreed to join Barcelona from Sevilla when he returns from holiday next month, but is currently on international with Brazil and does not look at all tired.

"Daniel Alves is one of the most complete football players that I have ever worked with. His condition is extraordinary," Paixao said.

"What makes them different from the great majority of players is that he is the best in every aspect of preparation: strength, stamina and speed.

"To give an idea, in the tests that we carry out for the national team, Dani has always been the best independent of the time of year or how many games he has played for his club.

"He has all the key characteristics to be the best in the current game where physical preparation is an determining factor more and more.

"This is not just the fruit of his work now, but also the good work that he has done ever since he start playing the game."

Manchester City have confirmed the signing of Brazilian striker Jo for an undisclosed club record fee.

The 21-year-old CSKA Moscow star is the first signing by City boss Mark Hughes since his arrival at Eastlands.

Jo, who helped CSKA win four trophies during a three-year spell in Russia, has agreed a four-year deal.

"He's a big guy, in stature and ability, so I think everybody will enjoy watching him play," Hughes told the club's website.

"A lot has been said about him and there was an expectation on him coming out of Brazil, so with the success he's had, I think it's a real coup that we've been able to bring him to the club."

The transfer, thought to be worth about ?18m - beating the ?13m the club spent to sign Nicolas Anelka from Paris Saint-Germain in 2002 - was first mooted several weeks ago and City will be delighted to have finally got their man.

J? Signs For Manchester City

CSKA Moscow striker J? has confirmed he is leaving the club for Manchester City, signing for an undisclosed fee on a four-year deal...

J? Signs For Manchester City

The powerful forward has been linked with a move to the Premier League for a number of months and City have always been his primary suitors.

A change of management from Sven-Goran Eriksson to Mark Hughes did not stop the Citizens' pursuit of the Brazilian, as he has said his goodbyes to his former club and is being presented as City's first major signing of the summer.

"There is a hard moment for every player - when you have to leave a club which is dear to you," said the striker.

"CSKA is nothing less than a large family. I understood it quite well when I was injured, and every member of Army club was giving moral support to me.

"I spent two exciting years at CSKA. During this time I kept improving myself and my name became known in Europe.

"I would like to thank the CSKA president Evgeny Giner for his care of players and especially for every support I was given at CSKA.

"Many thanks to the head coach Valery Gazzaev who helped me to raise the level of my performance."

He told the club's website: "I enjoyed working with all of my team-mates, and together we've won many remarkable trophies.

"I will always keep in my memory the days at CSKA and I wish great success to my former club."

A fee of approximately ?18 million - a club record - was thought to have been agreed a few days ago, but City have not publicly disclosed the fee. The Brazilian won two Russian Super Cups, the Russian Premier League and the Russian Cup with the Russian club, and new manager Mark Hughes is delighted with his first signing.

"He?s a big talent and a young man with a big future," Hughes told the club's official website.

"A lot has been said about him and there was a big expectation on him coming out of Brazil. So with the success he?s had I think it?s a real coup that we?ve been able to bring him to the club.

"He?s a big guy, in stature and in ability, so I think everybody will enjoy watching him play."

Anyone got any news on the Berbatov (to united) deal? I heard their asking price is around 35mn?

Cmon Man Utd, spend some frickin money :p

They have a good enough squad anyway to spend any but Ferguson did say he would buy at least 1 this summer.

Cmon Man Utd, spend some frickin money :p

If it's one thing with Sir Alex, he doesn't buy a lot of players but when does, he splashes out :p .

Scirwode

Anyone got any news on the Berbatov (to united) deal? I heard their asking price is around 35mn?

Awesome news on the Jo signing by Man Ciity.

On the Berbatov front... Man Utd haven't pursued any further after that asking price came out until now.

Awesome news on the Jo signing by Man Ciity.

On the Berbatov front... Man Utd haven't pursued any further after that asking price came out until now.

I'd say ?35M is very reasonable seeing what a class player Berbatov is.. he can win matches on his own.. ofcourse i dont want him to go to ManU or stay at Spurs for that matter:blush:: So 'cmon Jose! heres a forward for Inter:devil::

Turkish champions Galatasaray have announced the signing of former Liverpool attacker Harry Kewell on a three-year contract.

Kewell had been available on a free transfer after not being offered a new deal at Anfield following five injury-plagued seasons with the club.

Not a bad move for him really, Turkey is a good destination.

Galatasaray are a top team in their country and it should certainly help him get some games under his belt, at least to show that he still has the skills to change a football match.

Scirwode

Harry Kewell's agent has played down reports that the forward has agreed a move to Galatasaray.

The Turkish champions have claimed the 29-year-old has agreed a three-year-deal although the announcement is said to be premature according to the player's representative. Kewell turned down a contract offer with Liverpool at the end of the season and entered the transfer window as a free agent.

The Australia international has been strongly linked with a move to Roma to join up with former Liverpool team-mate John Arne Riise, and has also been targeted by Portsmouth and Celtic this summer.

Although Galatasaray announced Kewell's signing on their official website, the deal is far from complete.