[Football] Summer Transfers 2008

West Brom bag defender Zuiverloon

West Bromwich Albion have completed the ?3.2m signing of Heerenveen defender Gianni Zuiverloon.

The 21-year-old has penned a three-year deal with a further one-year option in the club's favour.

Zuiverloon has won 17 under-21 international caps for the Netherlands and will be in their Olympic squad.

"We've got a very talented, young footballer who is eager to prove his qualities at the highest level," said manager Tony Mowbray.

Mowbray added: "He has good defensive qualities, is a good athlete, is comfortable on the ball and wants to improve.

"He will add good competition for places to the squad and is another piece in the jigsaw.

"Hopefully he is the first of a few new signings to come in as we continually look to improve the squad."

Source - BBC Sport

I think this is a very good signing for West Brom. Surprised that none of the bigger teams went for him.

I think this is a very good signing for West Brom. Surprised that none of the bigger teams went for him.

I'm surprised too that the bigger teams didnt go for him.. they got a really fine young player at a very nice price

I read earlier Newcastle is up for sale which is weird seeing as Ashley only bought it last year.

Nasri almost at Arsenal!! Ben Arfa at Marsielle

Marseille midfielder Samir Nasri should complete his transfer to Arsenal in around '10 days', according to the player's agent.

The playmaker has been strongly linked with a move to Emirates Stadium, with manager Arsene Wenger a keen admirer of Nasri's quality.

A deal had reportedly been struck towards the end of June after the player's official website announced the France international had secured his transfer to North London.

However, the statement proved to be premature, and was subsequently removed, sparking confusion over the progress of the switch.

Since then, Marseille have wrapped up the signing of Hatem Ben Arfa from Lyon - a move which has reportedly paved the way for Nasri's transfer to go ahead.

Was it Spurs?

An unnamed English club have failed in a bid to land Russia striker Roman Pavlyuchenko.

The Spartak Moscow ace is a summer target for a host of clubs after a number of eye-catching displays for his country at Euro 2008.

His two-goal salvo against England in qualifying also remains fresh in the memory of many and it has come as no surprise that Europe's top clubs are beginning to home in on the talented 26-year-old.

His current employers are bracing themselves for a battle to retain the services of their prized asset, and have made it clear that the forward will not be allowed to leave unless their valuation is met.

It is thought that the approach from the Premier League side was around the ?10million mark, an offer which falls short of Spartak's demands.

The Russian outfit also confirmed that the interested party are not in the UEFA Champions League next season, a competition which Pavlyuchenko is keen to remain part of.

Cmon Man Utd, spend some frickin money :p

They will have 65,000,000 Euros to spend soon, as Real will get Ronaldo!

I read earlier Newcastle is up for sale which is weird seeing as Ashley only bought it last year.

They want to play Champions League ofcourse.. thats why they might be thinking a billionaire coming in with a lot of cash might have their ticket to top 4... that doesnt always work!

Real Mallorca are demanding ?8million compensation from Newcastle for Jonas Gutierrez.

The Argentina international left the Primera Liga side for the North East on Wednesday after buying out the remaining two years of his contract in Spain.

With that effectively making him a free agent, cash-strapped Mallorca are threatening to report the issue to Fifa in an attempt to secure a financial package they deem suitable for a player of international pedigree.

The Spanish club's president Vicente Grande claims that they will be left on the brink of administration if the deal is allowed to stand and has urged world football's governing body to intervene.

Kewell, his agent and Galatasaray representetives had a dinner in Paris last night and they will be arriving to Istanbul @ 19:30 (UK time)

Tobias Linderoth, Lincoln, Arda Turan, Kewell... Great midfield so far.

Dossena and Degen join Liverpool!

Liverpool have completed the signing of Andrea Dossena, the Italian left-back, from Udinese. He follows the transfer of Philipp Degen, the Swiss right-back, earlier in the day as Rafael Benitez moved to strengthen his defensive options. Both players have signed four-year deals.

Dossena, 26, replaces John Arne Riise who left for Roma earlier this summer and joins for an undisclosed fee thought to be around ?7 million. He has been capped once by Italy, in a friendly last year.

Degen joins on a free transfer from Borussia Dortmund.

Skysports.com understands that Galatasaray have made an offer for West Ham defender Lucas Neill.

The ambitious Turkish side already claim to have captured Harry Kewell, who has been released by Liverpool, despite the winger's agent insisting a deal has yet to be agreed.

And they have now set their sights on an Australian double with Neill emerging as a top target.

The 30-year-old moved to Upton Park from Blackburn in January 2007 and in his first few months at the club played a key role in their escape from the Premier League relegation zone.

He was made captain last summer and again impressed in 2007/08, but West Ham may be tempted by Galatasaray's bid.

Neill is one of West Ham's highest earners and club bosses are contemplating whether to let him head to Turkey.

I personally as a West Ham fan would be happy to see him go.

as a Galatasaray fan i must ask... Is Neill any good?

which positions can he play in defence? centre right left?

kewell is an amazing signing though. I hope he does not get injured.

I think this is bizarre from Mallorca to say the least! If they are on the brink of administration its their own bad management and no one else's fault. There is nothing FIFA can do and frankly shouldnt do in this case.. the player saw a better team and did what he had to join the Magpies.. end of story! Suck it up Mallorca!

Neill is one of West Ham's highest earners and club bosses are contemplating whether to let him head to Turkey

lol!!! last time I checked.. talent and game planning and not the pay decides who should stay and go from a certain club. lol...

I think this is bizarre from Mallorca to say the least! If they are on the brink of administration its their own bad management and no one else's fault. There is nothing FIFA can do and frankly shouldnt do in this case.. the player saw a better team and did what he had to join the Magpies.. end of story! Suck it up Mallorca!

The Webster rule is ridiculous, and you would not be saying "suck it up" if Hleb chose to buy out his contract for a few million to go to Barca!

Luckily for Arsenal, Hleb said he would never **** on Arsenal like that.

lol!!! last time I checked.. talent and game planning and not the pay decides who should stay and go from a certain club. lol...

The thing about Lucas Neill and Marty will agree with me here is the only reason he went to West Ham was for the money and not for the progression of his career I mean he could of gone to Liverpool a club that has more trophys on one finger then West Ham has in one stadium but no he chose to come to us on a nice 70k+ a week because he's greedy and even as a west ham fan there are better players like Spector or Tomkins who are better talented then him and more deserving.

The Webster rule is ridiculous, and you would not be saying "suck it up" if Hleb chose to buy out his contract for a few million to go to Barca!

Luckily for Arsenal, Hleb said he would never **** on Arsenal like that.

If Hleb decides to go actually I would say.. good!!! gives us a chance to get Turan or Bilyaletdinov or any other of the MANY excellent midfield players.. not a big Hleb fan... Cesc leaving would be different though :p

Ofcourse things would be different if Arsenal were almost running into administration.. but that will hopefully never happen.. coz they plan and manage well and that is what I meant.. it is Mallorca's fault that by one player leaving they are going to be in such trouble and instead of blaming the player and New Castle the board should say it was our own mistakes..

The thing about Lucas Neill and Marty will agree with me here is the only reason he went to West Ham was for the money and not for the progression of his career I mean he could of gone to Liverpool a club that has more trophys on one finger then West Ham has in one stadium but no he chose to come to us on a nice 70k+ a week because he's greedy and even as a west ham fan there are better players like Spector or Tomkins who are better talented then him and more deserving.

I'm sure Marty will agree :) but so do I mate.. you're right.. but it works the other way around too.. I also cant understand players going to big clubs where they know they will be benched.. its better to play at a small club and take your chances to shine there.. It feels so bad as a Henry fan to see that amazing player getting only last few mins (and by no means am I suggesting that Arsenal is a small club ;)).. hopefully with Eto'o gone he'll be the main man wih Messi..

Edited by Kralik

Well I can definately see West Ham letting him go because the chairman is determined to cut the spiralling wage bill at the club. Reports say that Neill earns near enough ?70k/week and I'm sure if he is let go, we can get someone just as good, if not better for a lot less wages per week.

Well Kralik, our president said he will not let Arda Turan to go for less than 20 million Euros... Than made it 25 :)

good luck if you can lure him from us.

Although i admit Arda Turan is an excellent player, he is not very fast. might not be good in EPL but might be better of in Seria A.

Well Kralik, our president said he will not let Arda Turan to go for less than 20 million Euros... Than made it 25 :)

good luck if you can lure him from us.

Although i admit Arda Turan is an excellent player, he is not very fast. might not be good in EPL but might be better of in Seria A.

Arda Turan has a big following on Neowin (Y)

Arda Turan is a true gem. He would never be a flop like Emre Belozoglu. When Emre was a teenager in Galatasaray in 1999 and we had just played against Ac Milan in Istanbul and beat them 2-0, emre had started that game in the first 11.

Later that year the developers of Championship Manager had. an interview with Maldini. And they asked him which 3 players he would love to see in AC Milan... First he said "myself :))" second he said shevchenko ( he was with kiev back than ) third he said emre...

George Hagi had told that Emre would be one of the best midfielders in the history of football. He had a good year with Inter Milan in his first season but now fell dramatically. Never progressed again. Now he is in fenerbahce and would never be able to go back to Europe again.

But Arda Turan is way different. His charactaristics and sportsmanship will make sure he would always be a top player. The only thing he lacks is speed.

Passing, creativity, dribblings, crosses are all incredible.

and Marty will agree with me here
I'm sure Marty will agree :)

Marty agrees :)

But Marty also has a first rule of football for the Arshavin, Turan and Pabeliosdshenko (I can't even be bothered to try and spell his name) lovers; never buy on the form of an international tournament!! See Diouf and Diao for evidence...

One thing about Arshavin is that he is 27. Why wasnt he discovered before if he was a great talent. also not to forget he was non existent against Spain.

One thing about Arshavin is that he is 27. Why wasnt he discovered before if he was a great talent. also not to forget he was non existent against Spain.

Maybe because not many teams go to Russia to find players so they wait for tournaments like these to find the gems.

but the scouts are all over the world to find talents.

they had to spot arshavin earlier.

it is said that chelsea will sign him which is understandable since abrahamovic is russian.

i believe he will siton the bench with sheva.

Yeah but maybe he just wans't talented then and it was under Hiddink and Advocat that he shined, its known that players peak at around 26 onwards.

Yeah but maybe he just wans't talented then and it was under Hiddink and Advocat that he shined, its known that players peak at around 26 onwards.

I think for this reason, he'll jump at the chance of his "dream move" to Barcelona, as opposed to go to the Premier League of money. However, we all know that money talks and who knows, the Russian influence at Chelsea may tempt him to England.

I can't see Barcelona going for him though.