• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Apple Event Set for Sept. 9th

Arkaic    21

Are they discontinuing the HDD based iPods? or are they simply upping the HD space? Like instead of it being 160GB be 220 GB?

What are the sizes of the new iPod touch?

majortom1981    242
Errrm, no. Pay attention. :rolleyes:

I am thinking he means real i need to buy a new touch features. I actually like the fact that they didnt change too much. Makes me feal better about buying the touch.

instant.human    45
Yeah i wanted GPS and a Camera, i want those features without selling my soul to a telecom company. (for the iPhone)

that wont happen anytime soon.

why would you need an iphone then? ;) they want to draw a clear line between the two, obviously.

Digitalx    17

same sizes and they are shkrining classic to single 120GB model instead of thick and think 80GB and 160GB models. they are still hdd based.

Bobster    0
Are they discontinuing the HDD based iPods? or are they simply upping the HD space? Like instead of it being 160GB be 220 GB?

This is what the new iPod line-up is:

120GB Classic

32GB Touch

16GB Touch

8GB Touch

16GB Nano

8GB Nano

Digitalx    17

why would you need an iphone then? ;) they want to draw a clear line between the two, obviously.

Then they should do it with software developing too considering half the apps want to look for where you are but oops can't no gps in touch.

CY:G    1

They discontinued the 160 gb iPod :(

I am thinking he means real i need to buy a new touch features. I actually like the fact that they didnt change too much. Makes me feal better about buying the touch.

Exactly

I dont need an iPhone, but i do appreciate some of it features...

kaffra    16

the 80gb is upgraded to 120gb, 160gb model is discontinued

shockz    6,039
wow guess won't be buying new touch different back design and extra button.. meh bring on the gps in it already :\

How are they going to do gps... you'd have to preload google maps... or have a link where the maps are updated... hence why its only on a cell phone.

majortom1981    242
How are they going to do gps... you'd have to preload google maps... or have a link where the maps are updated... hence why its only on a cell phone.

the touch has wifi.You can also preload them at home .

gigapixels    99

That would be quite a lot of wasted space just to store maps on there. You're better off having a separate GPS device in that case.

Digitalx    17

both use google maps and if that was the case then they mayaswell just give the flick on all the gps features that attempt to be used under the touch i mean if they are going to do it with the software people don't want half ass'd apps that try use a lacking or very flimsey feature they should just go all or nothing.

both do cache the maps during the session which is the point plus there's obviously plenty of space spare for it.

majortom1981    242
That would be quite a lot of wasted space just to store maps on there. You're better off having a separate GPS device in that case.

Yes but my gps doesnt act as a music player,pda , and games player also. The ipod touch would be able to do it all.

PS Isnt that how nav units do it now anyway? they have all the maps on them then you buy sd cards to update the preloaded ones. Why would the ipod touch do it any differently.

shockz    6,039
the touch has wifi.You can also preload them at home .

It does have wifi... but how many times have you been walking around the street or driving down the road and manage to keep the same wifi connection... if you can even find any... you'd be constantly connecting and reconnecting. Not good

And for preloading... I wonder how much space that'd use... especially on maximum magnification... you'd be better off buying a standalone gps.

Yes but my gps doesnt act as a music player,pda , and games player also. The ipod touch would be able to do it all.

PS Isnt that how nav units do it now anyway? they have all the maps on them then you buy sd cards to update the preloaded ones. Why would the ipod touch do it any differently.

Exactly, they can do it, but they wont, probably to keep it cheaper than the iPhone.

If only tho...

sundayx    127

The new touch seems thicker....

giga    45

80GB is now 120GB. 160Gb gone.

iPod touch: 8GB is $229, 16GB is $299 and 32GB is $399

The new touch seems thicker....

Steve said it's thinner.

It does have wifi... but how many times have you been walking around the street or driving down the road and manage to keep the same wifi connection... if you can even find any... you'd be constantly connecting and reconnecting. Not good

To be honest, i wouldnt mind using a couple of gigs of my Touch for maps, thats how GPS units do it...

instant.human    45

still time for one more thing.

and hopefully 2.1... (okay, here it is. nice.)

giga    45

ipodletsrock8.jpg

:rofl:

Bobster    0

2.1 for the iPhone - ""This is a big update, it fixes lots of bugs. Fewer dropped calls, big battery life improvements. No crashes with Apps. Backing up is faster." Nice."

We'll hold you to that. Steve.

EDIT: That seems like 2.1 is just bug fixes. Oh great.

magik    25

apple-lets-rock-086.jpg

"Some great new performance enhancements... free to all owners, available this Friday."

instant.human    45

this friday?!!

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....................................

sundayx    127

He still looks thin though.

instant.human    45

^he already has the new ipod touch!

whoops, sorry...