[Official] New Xbox Experience (or Fall 2008 Update)

Either MS would ask Adobe to port Flash, or they'd write their own Flash plugin. I can't see either happening.

I don't see the point of web browsers on consoles, the PS3 one sucks, the Wii's is good though (Of course it is, it's Opera)

Without mouse and keyboard support on the 360, a web browser wouldn't really get used enough to justify the time spent implementing it. The PS3 has a browser, but it also mouse and keyboard support, making it at least somewhat comfortable.

That said, I do enjoy reading strange and interesting theories :)

my WMCE keyboard works fine on my 360 last time I checked.

Infrared wireless and it has a mouse and back buttons etc.

oh and has anyone checked out the new TVERSITY I watch Flash (reencoded) and other videos from the internet all the time.

Works with my PS3, my WII and my Windows Mobile 6 phone too... My friend uses it on his iPhone as well.

November can't be further away for me :p I just don't like the "kiddie" look they are going for. If you want the kiddie interface and avatars get a Wii, leave the 360 how it is (with the Blade interface) is my view on all of this :p :laugh:

NOTE: I could end up eating my own words and liking the NXE, but currently from the videos/screenshots I don't.

I think it is far from kiddie (see Wii's mii's). The new interface was needed and the personal avatars is what the industry is moving towards (PS3's Home avatars for example). You don't have to like them, but they spice things up a little bit and just something to screw around with. Everybody takes them so seriously! :rofl:

November can't be further away for me :p I just don't like the "kiddie" look they are going for. If you want the kiddie interface and avatars get a Wii, leave the 360 how it is (with the Blade interface) is my view on all of this :p :laugh:

NOTE: I could end up eating my own words and liking the NXE, but currently from the videos/screenshots I don't.

Funnily enough Sony are the ones (IMO) taking the biggest risk with the life-like avatars. Although they are making a whole service out of it, not just a graphical representation plugged on a menu/integrated into a few supporting games. If they weren't going with the service, and were doing something like Nintendo/MS, I'd say life-like would probably not be the best option.

The life-like approach may appeal to a lot more of us older/more "mature" gamers, but "unrealistic" and/or "kiddie" representations of yourself go down well with a lot of the gaming democracy - Teens, ect.

Just comes across as "fun" should I say, to have something that represents you, but is not a complete 1:1 replica of you, spots & ugliness included :rofl: (you know what I mean but). It's much easier to spend 5 mins making a "cool/funny" avatar, than actually 15-20 mins dealing with physics/face & chin moulding like you'll be doing to get a life-like approach of you "correct" :p

Or should I say the casuals tend to appreciate what I'm saying above if anything.

MS Avatars look better than the Wii ones, but I guess if you don't like them full stop you won't have your mind changed either way, and you'll probably dislike the life-like approach as well.

I don't mind any of the approaches, as long as they aren't too intrusive, and at first I thought this dash update would be, but I suspect it won't be on release.

I think Nintendo and MS have taken more risk with their designs, as the "life like" route has already proven to be a success with The Sims and Second Life. Those two games still lean towards a cartoon likeness, but they definitely have a lot of options (at least in The Sims 2 case) for editing small details.

I think Nintendo and MS have taken more risk with their designs, as the "life like" route has already proven to be a success with The Sims and Second Life. Those two games still lean towards a cartoon likeness, but they definitely have a lot of options (at least in The Sims 2 case) for editing small details.

Fair analogy, but The Sims and Second Life are more full fledged games/services.

As MS/Nintendo are not really pulling out a service around their Mii's/Avatars in the depth of The Sims/Second Life or even Home, so it seems anyway, I think the more friendly/funny/graphical option is less of a risk than when you turn on your 360 than being faced with a high end character customization screen.

Having Avatars run around in master chief helmets or even just be master chief is going to be far more in-tune with what the avatars are doing on the dash (and what MS are aiming for), than a real-life avatar wearing a master chief costume :p

Well of course they are fuller games/services, but I honestly can't see them being as successful as they are. One of the biggest attractions to The Sims was that you could make these characters look just like you and your family/friends. When I owned my Wii for example though, I used to ask "wtf the **** is that in my parade" cause it looked nothing like them.

Tbh though, I really don't care either way what either my avatar/Home represtation looks like. I have very little patience for these character creations unless it's going to be used in a proper game. i.e Skate / RB6 and the like..

Well of course they are fuller games/services, but I honestly can't see them being as successful as they are. One of the biggest attractions to The Sims was that you could make these characters look just like you and your family/friends. When I owned my Wii for example though, I used to ask "wtf the **** is that in my parade" cause it looked nothing like them.

Tbh though, I really don't care either way what either my avatar/Home represtation looks like. I have very little patience for these character creations unless it's going to be used in a proper game. i.e Skate / RB6 and the like..

That's something MS understand ;)

Hence the more user friendly/quick and cartoony approach.

People who want to use Home are going to do so out of their own choice and dedicate time to it. You can completely avoid it though from what it seems, don't even need to download it.

Everyone is going to have to create a MS avatar though on download of the new dash (and yeah you can ignore it at the end of the day), just like on the Wii everyone creates their Mii.

The graphical approach MS have taken is improving on the Wii, but keeping it at the level it should be for what they're doing IMO.

Avatars will easy represent you/your family enough to distinguish people, I think even the Mii is complex enough to do it - However they are very simple.

Everyone is going to have to create a MS avatar though on download of the new dash (and yeah you can ignore it at the end of the day), just like on the Wii everyone creates their Mii.

I thought they were optional since MS/MN said that you can continue to use the gamerpics instead of the Avatars. Or is that just for Friends List representation?

I thought they were optional since MS/MN said that you can continue to use the gamerpics instead of the Avatars. Or is that just for Friends List representation?

I'm pretty sure, even if they are optional, you still need to create one on bootup of the new dash.

Where it might be optional is if you use the old "mini-dash" for things.

I'll get clarification.

This is great news as NetFlix's streaming library as it stands isn't all that great. Adding Starz Play to the mix greatly enhances the service and I may just consider a NetFlix account now so I can stream all these movies to my Xbox 360! :D

And the hits just keep on comin'. Merely hours after Netflix revealed that its API was open for all and just days after announcing deals with ABC and CBS, the firm is extending its reach once more with a fresh deal with Starz. As we're waiting for the ink to dry, the two have already fessed up to an agreement that will "make movies from Starz -- through its Starz Play broadband subscription movie service -- available to be streamed instantly at Netflix." Best of all, the additional content (over 2,500 new flicks eventually; 1,000 available now) will be included with Netflix members' current monthly subscription fee. For those who'd rather (we're talking all 2.5 of you), Netflix will soon offer a Starz Play-only subscription for $7.99 a month. Full release is after the fold.
Engadget
It was just announced that Starz Play is coming to Netflix instant streaming. That means, when the new Xbox experience ships later this year (and you’re a Netflix subscriber) you’ll have immediate access to over 12,000 titles to stream. That is in addition to the 15,000 pieces of video content already available for rental or purchase from the Video Marketplace. Great news for Xbox 360 members who also subsribe to Netflix.
MajorNelson

Awesome :yes: We should really have an official topic for this by now

OMGz official topix for firmwarez!!!111

:p

Yeah someone make the official topic! I'll do it eventually if no one else does (Y) Just gotta go surf the web for a mass of videos/screens, so in true fashion I can kill everyone's bandwidth with an official topic ;)

Auch no one ever pays attention to the stickies!

Need a fresh topic for such a big update I think :yes:

Same thing in the Sony section - There is a sticky for firmware, but no one ever pays attention to it.