The Official Neowin NHL Playoff Thread

The reason west coats teams arn't knows as well as the east coast are because their games are on way past when most people in the US are asleep. They start at 9ish mnt time, which is 10-12ish for the rest of the country. Look at the avalanche. Expansion team, stanley cup. They sucked too though didn't they? Just cause your team is getting/got its rear-end kicked doesn't mean you have to put down a team that is doing good. Your probly one of those people who hates MS and nintendo jsut because they are popular huh? I bet.

Remember what was said about flame bait before? ;)

But seriously...

Western Teams Include:

Detroit Red Wings

Dallas Stars

Colorado Avalanche

Chicago Blackhawks

Los Angeles Kings

San Jose Sharks

Those look like some very well known teams. :) Also, being in Mountain Time myself, the games start here at about 6pm on ESPN or earlier on the weekends, so I don't see where that is really an issue given that a lot of your East Coast games start at 6 as well...

As for my team getting it's rear kicked? I'm in agreement with the majority of the city of Detroit... We weren't hungry and it showed in how they played. Detroit went in all big and bad not taking anyone but themselves seriously... Now? They are taking their golf games serious and plotting their revenge for next year. :)

Old time hockey. Do you even know what that means? Old time hockey _isn't_ flashy players and high scoring games. Old time hockey is grinding, working, and simply outplaying the other team. Old time hockey is a game of heart.

Honestly, what i think you meant is that you want the NHL to turn into the WWE where image wins out. Well sorry. It's not. If detroit deserved it they wouldn't have lost 4 games in a row. Does anaheim deserve my respect? Yes, they've made it this far, they've played their asses off, they've played with heart, and they're kicking ass so far. The last thing hockey needs is for a bunch of millionaires whinning about contracts and more people playing for the love of the game. I don't think detroit wanted it enough to deserve it. Anaheim did.

So why don't you go watch some yankees baseball then. You obviously don't understand hockey.

As much as I hate chain posting...

Give me a break.

Old time hockey was about two teams squaring toe to toe for a good, fast paced, game of Hockey. Winning battles in the corners, out running your opponents at Center Ice, taking your breaks in the paint while advertising goalie equipment on your ass because it's always parked right in the goalies view... THAT is old time hockey. Two opponents playing a true game of hockey in the traditions of Howe, Sawchuck, and The Great One himself. (Not to discount many of the other legends as those three are the ones who came to mind.)

Image matters everything in the press, when it's taken to the ice it's a bad thing. When teams start believing their own PR, they start loosing. Detroit went in thinking they were unstoppable, guess what? They weren't.

Dallas went in cautious and careful, they lost the chance to take it another game due to bad reffing on a disallowed goal, it happens.

The Wild went in not caring, they are already further than anyone could have hoped, there to HAVE FUN. THAT is old time Hockey spirit. It isn't about the paycheck to these guys right now, they are skating for the love of the game, the roar of their fans, the rush of a goal...and getting paid less than any remaining playoff team to do it.

You won't get an argument with me, Detroit wasn't hungry enough to play the game... Their fault, their loss. If the game was about who could throw the most money at the game, we could ALL go home and give it to the Rangers, the First Nation Bank of Hockey. (Just as the Yanks are the First National Bank of Baseball.)

If the ducks can continue this run into next year, then maybe they will be taken as more than a fluke, I don't control that, the Sportscasters do.

Get over yourself Goalie, I've played the game too, I love the game even after my team looses. What do I do? I may not be religious about watching every game but I roll to the next team I feel has the hunger to win, and right now (as much as I hate to admit it) I think that is 'Jearsy.

Just because I speak up and say what many people are thinking doesn't mean I'm unique in my thoughts. If you're a player, then you know VERY well how the flame of fame feels in the eyes of the fans.

Whoa, I step out for a few hours yesterday, and this whole thread goes nutz. Come on people, WHO CARES? I am the biggest Wild fan there is, yet I can accept defeat (well, crossing my fingers for tonight's game), and move on. I'm not going to flame the Ducks, or anyone, .... Hockey is hockey, Football is football, baseball is baseball... we all want "our" team to go all the way, but in fact there can always be only one.

Old time hockey, today's hockey....it doesn't matter. it's fun to watch, it's fun to get caught up in the hype, and it rulez if your team comes out on top. But in no way should it spark flames. (IMHO of course)

so.... on to NFL season..... :)... and don't even get me started on the MN Vikings.... jeez, try being a Vikings fan all your life :|

(Go Wild tonight ...)

so.... on to NFL season..... :)... and don't even get me started on the MN Vikings.... jeez, try being a Vikings fan all your life :|

;)

I was born a Detroit Tigers baseball fan...I feel your pain. ;)

lol, at least the tigers have won a series in the past half century. i was born in detroit, but i had to be different, so i grew up liking the cubs, now that's pain :p

Old time hockey was about two teams squaring toe to toe for a good, fast paced, game of Hockey. Winning battles in the corners, out running your opponents at Center Ice, taking your breaks in the paint while advertising goalie equipment on your ass because it's always parked right in the goalies view... THAT is old time hockey.

I don't quiet understand ... isn't that what the Ducks are doing? They are winning fights that need to be won, scoring when the chances are there, their defense is rocking, and their goalie is all of a sudden the wall. Sounds like the description of your old time hockey to me.

Dallas went in cautious and careful, they lost the chance to take it another game due to bad reffing on a disallowed goal, it happens.

Are you saying the entire series was lost due to a disallowed goal? That goal wouldn't of help the stars make a comeback. Besides that there was no complain from anyone else about bad reffing. Both the Wings and Stars lost due to their own accord.

If the ducks can continue this run into next year, then maybe they will be taken as more than a fluke, I don't control that, the Sportscasters do.

So it takes how many years of good run hockey before you would consider a team to be good or deserve the stanely cup? No one really care about the regular season until the last 15 games when all the points count. Each team make bids to get their desire player in order to create a line that can obtain the Stanley Cup. If the Ducks take the cup this year, they are dubbed the best team in the league and deserve the cup.

I don't quiet understand ... isn't that what the Ducks are doing?? They are winning fights that need to be won, scoring when the chances are there, their defense is rocking, and their goalie is all of a sudden the wall.? Sounds like the description of your old time hockey to me.

-

Are you saying the entire series was lost due to a disallowed goal?? That goal wouldn't of help the stars make a comeback.? Besides that there was no complain from anyone else about bad reffing.? Both the Wings and Stars lost due to their own accord.

-

So it takes how many years of good run hockey before you would consider a team to be good or deserve the stanely cup?? No one really care about the regular season until the last 15 games when all the points count.? Each team make bids to get their desire player in order to create a line that can obtain the Stanley Cup.? If the Ducks take the cup this year, they are dubbed the best team in the league and deserve the cup.

The duNOT>NOT doing that, they are being out-shot, out odd-man rushed, out everything and scoring on shots thrown at the net with no real hopes of scoring. (Granted, there have been a few nice goals by the ducks but the majority were not clean, good, goals.)

When a team is being clearly outplayed by their opponents in their first two series (Detroit's 100+ shots to their 60/70) how can anyone say that is good hockey. It is a blatant breakdown of the ducks defensive strategy. If you are thinking that you can let another team throw a hundred shots on net and that you will keep winning, you are nuts. A goalie can only stop so many.

-

Not at all, I'm saying that the final game (as it turned out) of that series was won by a disallowed goal against Dallas. Had it been allowed there would have been a game 6 given the fact Dallas came around and scored AGAIN 54 seconds later that would have put them into Overtime with a heavy Dallas momentum shift.

-

Let them play this way for 2 or 3 years, then perhaps they will RESPECTPECT. They can win the cup this year, yes. But they still do not deserve any more respect than any of the other one shot wonder flukes of history (Hurricanes anyone?)

If they win the cup this year, they are not going to be dubbed the best team in the league, for years it will be as controversial as the Brett Hull overtime winner for Dallas. They will be analyzed over and over given the fact they are not as good as they are playing right now, and the reason they are playing this good is one person...

Again, my thoughts but the ducks don't belong where they are right now, aside from maybe 3 players and their goalie the team truly and completely sucks.

--

Sidenote : Got my first taste of Ice in over a year at an open hockey practice around here. They were looking for players for next season around here so I'm curious if anything comes up for me, I didn't skate my best given a year off but I still managed to put a couple past the goalie they had during target shooting.

Funny thing is there was another woman there who was, get this, wearing Figure Skates for the t;)outs. ;)

Oh, and for the record. I did the tryout in my Yzerman ;)rsey. ;)

I have just had a thought.. This years Anaheim is an exact clone of 97-98 Capitals that made it to the finals..

Giguere=Kolzig

Kariya=Bondra

Steve Thomas, Rob Nidermeyer=Brian Bellows, Esa Tikkanen Ect, Ect

I have just had a thought.. This years Anaheim is an exact clone of 97-98 Capitals that made it to the finals..

and that didnt turn out so well for the caps...if your theory is correct, the ducks should be swept in the finals

they're gonna have quite a few days off before the finals....peoples always wonder if that's better or worse.

be careful though. 99% of the people doubted they could beat detroit, and then dallas...it just seems like their destiny right now

We had a good run,

Wild lost 1-2 (We finally scored a goal!)

anyway, a team this young being in the final four for the Stanley cup?.... that means something.

See ya next year. :)

they're gonna have quite a few days off before the finals....peoples always wonder if that's better or worse.

they had a lot of time to relax after sweeping detroit :)

Figure this one out if you can...

Most Playoff Shutouts...

23 Patrick Roy (Montreal, Colorado)

17 Martin Brodeur (New Jersey)

15 Clint Benedict (Ottawa, Montreal Maroons)

15 Curtis Joseph (St. Louis, Edmonton, Toronto, Detroit)

14 Jacques Plante (Montreal, St. Louis)

13 Turk Broda (Toronto)

12 Terry Sawchuk (Detroit, Los Angeles)

12 Dominik Hasek (Buffalo, Detroit)

I predict the ottawa nj series to go to 6 games but i'm not sure who will win. I was hoping for ottawa though. I think it'll be a fairly entertaining final. Too bad the canucks weren't there :(