Google announced Material You, a new design language for Android apps, back in May. The UI focuses on offering customizability to users so they can tailor an app to their needs. We already started seeing the refresh in Android 12's beta builds but with the OS' general release just a few weeks away, Google has begun to roll out the revamp to its Workspace apps too.
For now, the Material You refresh for Workspace apps on Android includes updated navigation bars, Google sans text for better readability in smaller font sizes, and enhanced floating action buttons. On Pixel devices running Android 12, you'll also notice additional customization and personalization options. Google has also touted that Material You will automatically adjust line width, contrast, and size according to your preferences.
The availability status of Material You for Workspace apps on Android is as follows:
- Gmail: Already available on Gmail version 2021.08.24 and newer
- Google Meet: Rollout begins on September 19 for Meet version 2021.09.19
- Google Drive: Rolling out on Drive version 2.21.330 and newer since September 9
- Google Docs, Sheets, Slides: Rollout began on version 1.21.342 since September 1
- Google Calendar: Rollout begins on version 2021.37 and newer from September 20
If you haven't received the UI revamp yet or don't start seeing it at the aforementioned dates, note that the rollout pace has been set to "extended", which means that it may take over 15 days since initial rollout for a feature to become visible to you. In the meantime, check out the gallery below containing screenshots for the Material You refresh for Workspace apps on Android.