Games in Win2k3

Just add the term "Member of the "Windows 2003 isn't a workstation" Alliance" in your sig and your in :)

silly_walk I think put it in his sig first as a joke, but there has been a lot of people who have "joined"

right on!

oh a quick responce on why people post asking how to get games working

becouse they are lazy or stupid and cant/wont figuar it out them selves(cant take time to google it)

silly_walk I think put it in his sig first as a joke, but there has been a lot of people who have "joined"

I wasn't the first, but I freely admit I copied from another.

Play games all you want. Use it as a workstation all you want. But KNOW what you are doing, because it's just annoying to answer the same questions about how to make the server become a workstation. If you don't know how to defrag in XP, fine. If you don't know how to run Active Directory or configure Group Policy in Server 2003, fine. Ask your questions. But asking how to do things, that if you knew how to use and configure a server you should already know, is just frustrating for those of us who do know what a server is supposed to be.

The AMD64 versions of Windows XP do use the 2003 codebase.

cool didnt even know that :D

My thoughts on the subject is that i couldnt stand it for workstation use: it was just too striped of the things that i liked (call it bloat, etc. whatever) that xp has

since 2k3 and xp are very similar you could strip xp down in the 2k3 snece to get some of the preformance and faster gameplay etc. that everyone raving about. thats what all that xp lite does

I personaly think you can buy whatever os and use it forwatever you want it to do. For instance 98 wasnt designed to be a webserver, but you could install apache, and php and there you go webserver! :whistle:

My pewrsonal thoughts is let whoever do whatever they want if you can help them out and contribue great!

if you cant... you dont nesseceraly need to increase your post count :laugh:

Play games all you want. Use it as a workstation all you want. But KNOW what you are doing, because it's just annoying to answer the same questions about how to make the server become a workstation. If you don't know how to defrag in XP, fine. If you don't know how to run Active Directory or configure Group Policy in Server 2003, fine. Ask your questions. But asking how to do things, that if you knew how to use and configure a server you should already know, is just frustrating for those of us who do know what a server is supposed to be.

Well said.

Well said.

Thank you. :D

An analogy for the "Don't use Windows Server 2003 to play games. IT'S A SERVER OS." folks.

The HUMVEE was not designed to be a family vehicle.

It is a "High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle" designed by the military for transport through extremely rugged terrain.

It was not designed for the street use on an every day basis.

Since the public first saw the HUMVEE they have been wanting to customize it for every day usage and as a family vehicle.

The JEEP was not designed to be a family vehicle.

It was designed as a small military "General Purpose" GP vehicle.

As soon as the public was able to get these vehicles they became one of the most popular off-road vehicles

and have since morphed into a common public vehicle for everyday use.

I don't pirate software. I probably have $15,000 in software investment on this network.

I have a triple boot system that I use everyday with Win98, WinXP and WinSvr 2003 eval.

So far I like WinSvr 2003. I have used it for about the last 2 months and have found it to be

stable and secure. Because it has many unnecessary things disabled by default it is a little faster out of the box.

It also has many security settings enabled by default making it more secure out of the box.

I don't use it as my primary OS because being a server it opens port 135 (epmap) and I can't seem to close it.

However, I have secured WinXP to the point that it is as secure as WinSvr 2003

and it is as fast when it's set up right with the correct hardware and drivers.

Just my $.02

Not great examples, IMO. Neither should be used for families (or individuals) to this day. They are not fuel efficient and are very polluting.

Not great examples, IMO. Neither should be used for families (or individuals) to this day. They are not fuel efficient and are very polluting.

They are great examples and quite similar in the arguements by both sides.

Neither of them are as inefficient or polluting as the older automobiles driven on the streets

today that hit on five of eight cylinders and smoke more than a mosquito abatement spray truck.

Although you say they should never be used for families to this day, many people

are driving them and they are quite acceptable, so this is just an opinion not accepted fact.

The fact that they are expensive might lead one to think that they must be stolen (pirated)

but that again would be personal opinion, not fact.

Neither of them are as inefficient or polluting as the older automobiles driven on the streets

today that hit on five of eight cylinders and smoke more than a mosquito abatement spray truck.

Great, now speak of cars made in this century. Which are more efficient again, the SUV driven by families so rich that they **** money, or the car?

Although you say they should never be used for families to this day, many people

are driving them and they are quite acceptable, so this is just an opinion not accepted fact.

Yes, my opinion. But that's reverse logic. If many families shot themselves in the head, would it acceptable? No, it would still be wrong. Just like people driving SUVs and Jeeps and who have never seen a dirt road in their lives, or a forest trail.

The fact that they are expensive might lead one to think that they must be stolen (pirated)

The fact that they are BOUGHT AND PAID FOR WITH MONEY and NOT ABLE TO BE DOWNLOADED makes your car/SUV analogy even more ridiculous.

hey arount here that analogy fits

black or mexican or native american driving anything newer then a ford pinto is likely to get pulled over and questioned

the cops racely profile people even though its not leigal and ghay

you assume that since somebody uses it as a workstation they must have stolen it just like the cops assuming that a non caucasion with an expincive ride must have jacked it

to me that fits perfect

oh and this is a redneck hick town in MENNY ways

Great, now speak of cars made in this century. Which are more efficient again, the SUV driven by families so rich that they **** money, or the car?

Yes, my opinion. But that's reverse logic. If many families shot themselves in the head, would it acceptable? No, it would still be wrong. Just like people driving SUVs and Jeeps and who have never seen a dirt road in their lives, or a forest trail.

The fact that they are BOUGHT AND PAID FOR WITH MONEY and NOT ABLE TO BE DOWNLOADED makes your car/SUV analogy even more ridiculous.

What does "made in this century" have to do with it?

That doesn't make sense.

Furthermore, what does it matter if they are rich or not?

Reverse logic. I think you have logic mixed up with personal preference.

If a farmer has a truck and decides to go to town, does he have to park the truck and drive the car?

If a city dweller has a small car and decides to drive to the country, must he buy a more rugged vehicle.

It's only wrong because you say so. Is that the last word on the subject?

I didn't understand your last sentence. The only thing ridiculous about this whole thing is your assumption

that original intent governs for perpetuity. If that were the case many things we enjoy today would not be

available because they were made with a single purpose in mind. Innovation and ingenuity are the heart

and soul of progress.

The XBOX was not designed to be a normal computer.

LOL  yeah  30min to makexp work simlar to how i set 2k3 up in less then 5 min  humm  i will take the extra 25min and install some games

Yeah, and then spend more than those 25 min. getting them to work because you don't know what the hell you're doing.
gotta agree that XP=2k for ideots  all those wizzards and ****  oh and i dont give a rats ass about hyperthreding  i dont use intel :D 

That makes no sense, that's like saying 98 is 95 for idiots...it's the same thing, improved. Ooh, you don't use the wizards, yeah, that's the only reason to get XP, because of the wizards

as one of my friends put it along time ago  xp="my first windows" or "teletubby windows"

people who use xp and say its better then 2k are on crack thats like saying ME was better then 98se 

Well your friend is a moron. It is better, I've used both. lol what a crock "people who say XP is better than 2k are on crack" but people who say 2k3 is better than XP are perfectly correct?
xp has some neet ideas in it but the implamintation is flawed IMHO  they fixed most of the little things that bugged me with 2k3

Like what? What the hell's implementation was flawed? It's the same thing with just half the stuff disabled and some server services thrown on

i know you probbly love ur eyecandy so u cant take the thought of using 2k becouse its so...."primitive"and"ulgy"

really all those skins/theims and graphical "enhancments" dont make the os any better  they just make it more fun for those that have to have there mac looking enterface

lol what a joke, I have themes turned off as a matter of fact...there are many more improvements than the gui, get a clue.

I didn't understand your last sentence. The only thing ridiculous about this whole thing is your assumption

that original intent governs for perpetuity. If that were the case many things we enjoy today would not be

available because they were made with a single purpose in mind. Innovation and ingenuity are the heart

and soul of progress.

So, if Michelin puts out a car tire in 2003 for winter driving, then puts out a new truck tire for winter driving in 2004, people should be able to ask mechanics endless questions about how to adapt the tire for their car, because it's newer? Anything is possible, but is it intelligent?

and soul of progress.

So, if Michelin puts out a car tire in 2003 for winter driving, then puts out a new truck tire for winter driving in 2004, people should be able to ask mechanics endless questions about how to adapt the tire for their car, because it's newer? Anything is possible, but is it intelligent?

Compare "cars to cars" or "trucks to trucks" or "computers to computers".

If Michelin makes a truck tire with aggressive treads for winter driving (snow tires)

most people would not use those tires on their truck for driving on a dry highway

for extended periods. Not because they only work in snow but because they make

too much noise during extended highway usage. However, many people will install

snow tires at the beginning of winter and leave them until the winter is over. It is

accepted practice to run snow tires all winter even if you will be traveling both in snow

covered streets and dry streets to avoid changing tires every two weeks as weather dictates.

"Will regular road tires work during the winter." "Yes but not as well as snow tires"

"Will WinXP work as a server" "Yes but not as well as Win Svr 2003"

"Will snow tires work on dry streets" "Yes but they aren't designed for street use"

"Will Win Svr 2003 work as a workstation" "Yes but it's not designed to be a workstation"

"If I want to install one set of tires that will work under both road conditions, which is better"

"Snow tires are designed for driving in snow but can be used on dry streets also"

"If I want to install one OS that will work in both applications, which is better"

"Win Svr 2003 is designed as a server but will work as a workstation also"

It's no news that PF Prophet is full of ****. You better just ignore that mouthbreather!

dang man.....good thing you're banned! Bet you just CAN'T WAIT to get back in here and bash us some more, loser! :D

It's no news that PF Prophet is full of ****. You better just ignore that mouthbreather!

Yeah, I'm definitely leaning towards that option...it's too much effort to try and comprehend what he says, and then once you do, you still frustrate yourself because his points are ridiculous. I've turned themes back on because...well, why the hell not? It looks nicer (not luna...ugh, but having the hacked uxtheme), and there's no discernible performance hit. If people didn't care about their GUIs looking nice, we wouldn't have mac users, would we (hey, since we're already going back and forth on one sore, endless debate, why not bring up another one? tee hee)

Compare "cars to cars" or "trucks to trucks" or "computers to computers".

If Michelin makes a truck tire with aggressive treads for winter driving (snow tires)

most people would not use those tires on their truck for driving on a dry highway

for extended periods. Not because they only work in snow but because they make

too much noise during extended highway usage. However, many people will install

snow tires at the beginning of winter and leave them until the winter is over. It is

accepted practice to run snow tires all winter even if you will be traveling both in snow

covered streets and dry streets to avoid changing tires every two weeks as weather dictates.

"Will regular road tires work during the winter." "Yes but not as well as snow tires"

"Will WinXP work as a server" "Yes but not as well as Win Svr 2003"

"Will snow tires work on dry streets" "Yes but they aren't designed for street use"

"Will Win Svr 2003 work as a workstation" "Yes but it's not designed to be a workstation"

"If I want to install one set of tires that will work under both road conditions, which is better"

"Snow tires are designed for driving in snow but can be used on dry streets also"

"If I want to install one OS that will work in both applications, which is better"

"Win Svr 2003 is designed as a server but will work as a workstation also"

Well, you didn't understand computer to computer, and the other examples are making my point quite nicely. XP and Server 2003 aren't the meant for the same function, so why would I compare XP to XP and 2003 to 2003? I am comparing items that are similar but NOT meant to be used in the same way.

You missed the entire point of my post.

Ask your questions. But asking how to do things, that if you knew how to use and configure a server you should already know, is just frustrating for those of us who do know what a server is supposed to be.

But u certainly Dont know the word modesty

hey computers where only orignaly designed to solv math problems

home pc's where not designed with the intent of gaming on them they where designed for buisness men/weman to do WORK on following that logic they never should have been used for games PERIOD becouse that wasnt what they where designed for

stupid ****

and will stand by the fact that xp is crap its got bugs that have yet to be addressed that drive me crazy like the gui flickers when you do certen things most people dont see or even take note of it becouse its normal 2k they cleaned it up dosnt flicker/gitter like it did

its not a big thing but anoing to me none the less

oh and ya know it dosnt take me any time to get games working on 2k3 so i duno what ur fukin problem is takes me about 5 min to get it configuared to support what xp suppirts out of the box

xp and 2k3 bouth requier an update to the version of dx they come with with bouth its best if you update ur chipset drivers (via 4in1 or sis ide/agp or intel chipset drivers)

humm what else do i have to do oh yeah VIDEO DRIVERS

basickly its between spending 5(2k3) and 30(xp) min to get the os configuared the way u like granted those are numbers for people who have done it a few times but even my first time it took about 15min to config 2k3 using the neowin guide then read the top post to fing out how to dissable shutdown tracker and such

still 1/2 the time it takes to get xp going LOL

oh and ya can KMA if ya dont like my spelling ;)

hey computers where only orignaly designed to solv math problems

home pc's where not designed with the intent of gaming on them they where designed for buisness men/weman to do WORK on following that logic they never should have been used for games PERIOD becouse that wasnt what they where designed for

stupid ****

and will stand by the fact that xp is crap its got bugs that have yet to be addressed that drive me crazy like the gui flickers when you do certen things most people dont see or even take note of it becouse its normal 2k they cleaned it up dosnt flicker/gitter like it did

its not a big thing but anoing to me none the less

oh and ya know it dosnt take me any time to get games working on 2k3 so i duno what ur fukin problem is takes me about 5 min to get it configuared to support what xp suppirts out of the box

xp and 2k3 bouth requier an update to the version of dx they come with with bouth its best if you update ur chipset drivers (via 4in1 or sis ide/agp or intel chipset drivers)

humm what else do i have to do oh yeah VIDEO DRIVERS

basickly its between spending 5(2k3) and 30(xp) min to get the os configuared the way u like granted those are numbers for people who have done it a few times but even my first time it took about 15min to config 2k3 using the neowin guide then read the top post to fing out how to dissable shutdown tracker and such

still 1/2 the time it takes to get xp going LOL

oh and ya can KMA if ya dont like my spelling ;)

jesus christ! stfu!

yes computers were originally used to perform maths calculations (and still are) but they are engineered to do everything. Playing games is a large part of a pc's job spec. it is definatly part of the chip designer's brief to make a computer which can play games at optimal refesh/graphics rates.

and if you think xp is a buggy pos then you obviously dont know much do u? xp is rock stable unless you got crappy hardware, in which case its your own fault.