• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

How to avoid Mandatory upgrade to Windows Live Essentials 2011 version.

ShareShiz    112

I had WLE 2011. but then a few weeks ago it just wouldnt connect at all.

Dropped WLE 2011 and moved back to pidgin :)

kaffra    16

thanks for the tip

Andrea Borman    17

ShareShiz wrote-

I had WLE 2011. but then a few weeks ago it just wouldnt connect at all.

Dropped WLE 2011 and moved back to pidgin.

I told you so. WLE 2011 is not the same or as good as WLE 2009 at all. WLE 2011 is rubbish compared to WLE 2009. That's why I and a lot of people don't like WLE 2011 and want to stay with WLE 2009.

shozila wrote-

That page is old and gone... Which I noticed that you don't have "2011" in the address bar. I am viewing the requirement for 2011 with my browser on my Windows XP box which is different than yours.

As you mentioned (which I quoted in bold above) that WLE 2009 works on Windows 8... Show me your screenshot that you are running WLE 2009 on Windows 8... prove it. I don't want XP crap

All right here is a screenshot of Windows Live Messenger 2009 and Windows Live Photo Gallery 2009 running on my Windows 8 netbook. Andrea Borman.

post-417173-0-59894000-1343682610_thumb.

post-417173-0-11052100-1343682634_thumb.

TAZMINATOR    12,416

I told you so. WLE 2011 is not the same or as good as WLE 2009 at all. WLE 2011 is rubbish compared to WLE 2009. That's why I and a lot of people don't like WLE 2011 and want to stay with WLE 2009.

All right here is a screenshot of Windows Live Messenger 2009 and Windows Live Photo Gallery 2009 running on my Windows 8 netbook. Andrea Borman.

post-417173-0-59894000-1343682610_thumb.

post-417173-0-11052100-1343682634_thumb.

Then stay with it but it won't be very long before you will be kicked off of their network unless you upgrade to 2011. I noticed you have AIM installed... Use that instead if WLE 2009 has kicked you off for good.

n_K    2,380

There is a load of utter ******** in this thread.

1) No, you will NOT be kicked off, if you get windows 2000, the latest MSN version that will run is 5.0, and it won't ask you to update, it still works fine.

Myself I hacked MSN 8.5 so it still connected without asking to update, and (admitially I've not been on windows in about 8 months to try) it still works fine.

Same as how in Word Metro you can still open a word document created in Word 97.

Now, security flaws. If you mean old security flaws then as probably almost ALL users will upgrade, hackers won't bother exploiting it because it's a tiny share and to find ONE PERSON with a vulnerable version would take a long time. But, your version will still be insecure, but then again say for example with me I've got MSN 8.5, if a bugs discovered in the new MSN, what's to say it'll even work with old MSN versions? They might not have the feature or it's implemented differently so it's not vulnerable.

Anyway - stop ****ing moaning about people running outdated software, if they get viruses/hacked that's their problem, you are not their network/system administrator, give over.

f0rk_b0mb    697

But Windows XP is still supported until 2014. But after that they may also stop support for WLE 2009. When support for Windows XP ends. Andrea Borman.

Doesn't mean you should use it till 2014...

Ambroos    801

Andrea, please explain to me how this screenshot (which is the latest WLM) looks so much different from yours (aside the fact that mine isn't pink):

OyDXP.png

While it is true there are some minor differences (for example the background color which is just a background image in 2011) in general it is mostly the same. 2011 looks much cleaner, even if you don't remove the ads.

In photo gallery the difference is a bit bigger, but again nothing extreme at all if you just double-click the ribbon tabs to hide them. Same in WLMail, just double-click the ribbon tabs and the difference is quite small. But yes, on one thing you're right, neither of them is very comfortable to work with on a netbook because of the small screen size, which is why you should collapse the ribbon. Netbooks are sort of an abandoned category right now. They were popular once but are now sort of replaced by tablets and ultrabooks. Tablets have special interfaces to suit their size, ultrabooks always have much higher resolutions.

In general, it's just not a good idea to stick with old versions of software at all, especially not on Windows. Newer software will usually perform better and it is a lot safer too. And yes, like it's been said before, if you can't figure out how Trillian works, please refrain from giving advice on computer stuff to other people.

• Like 3

f0rk_b0mb    697

if you can't figure out how Trillian works, please refrain from giving advice on computer stuff to other people.

Amen, brotha, Amen... :fro:

• Like 1

Boo Berry    2,264

Meh, only reason people used WLM 2009 over WLM 2011 is because they don't like the nicknames being gone (which can be worked around from your Live profile) and the complicated privacy settings. Other than that, I NEVER used WLM 2009 on Windows 7 or Windows 8 for the security risk potential alone. Also to argue that WLM 2009 is actually better is absurd in this case as the newest is always better. Not because of features or lack there of, but because of the older WLM 2009 not being updated to patch any vulnerabilities in the client itself where as WLM 2011 has been updated several times to patch various vulnerabilities. WLM 2009 is outdated and not developed anymore and don't bother arguing about XP either, it's already way outdated even though it gets patches for a few more years. This is an absolute fact, ask Microsoft! Anyone using WLM 2009 should be upgraded to WLM 2011 like they are now via mandatory upgrade. I have to agree with everyone else too, why use Windows 8 when you're removing/disabling the various features?

You could also always try a third party client like Pidgin, Digsby or Trillian? They're not that hard to learn - I believe there's documentation somewhere for those clients. Otherwise in before PEBKAC alerts.

Andrea Borman    17

Yes you can use any old version of software including Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger. I have used WLM 8.5 on Windows 7. And I have also used MSN Messenger 7.5 on Windows 7. But to use MSN Messenger 7.5 you have to set the program to run in compatibility mode for Windows 2000. And then you can log into MSN Messenger 7.5 and also WLM 8.5 works.

But the video chat does not work unless the person you are calling, or who is calling you is also using MSN 7.5 or WLM 8.5. But you can still instant messages from both messengers.

But because both messenger are no longer supported you will not get security updates.

But WLM 2009 is still supported and video chat works on WLM 2009 if you are using it on Windows 7,Windows Vista and Windows 8. Even if you are calling someone who is on WLM 2011.You can still have video chats to on WLM 2009 to with someone who is using WLM 2011. And it makes no difference if you are using WLM 2009 on Windows XP,Windows Vista,Windows 7 or Windows 8. WLM 2009 works on all versions of Windows, and so do all of the features.

So both WLE 2009 and WLE 2011 are supported. But it's just that Microsoft prefers Windows Vista,Windows 7 and Windows 8 users to use the 2011 version. Which I and a lot of people don't like.

And Ambroos,on WLM 2009 you can change the background to pink or any color that you choose. But I don't know if they still have this feature in WLM 2011 version. Andrea Borman.

xendrome    5,417

<<Thread Cleaned>> stop trolling/posting in the thread if you aren't contributing to the topic.

Noir Angel    4,214

Can't you just refuse the download when it tries to update? Otherwise when they kill off the protocols that stop the old versions working, you don't really have much choice it's either WLM 2011 or an alternative client.

Ambroos    801

Can't you just refuse the download when it tries to update? Otherwise when they kill off the protocols that stop the old versions working, you don't really have much choice it's either WLM 2011 or an alternative client.

Nah. The protocols are all still working, but declining the update cancels the login. By setting compatibility mode you basically block the update from offering itself.

Andrea Borman    17

Javik wrote-

Ambroos wrote-

Nah. The protocols are all still working, but declining the update cancels the login. By setting compatibility mode you basically block the update from offering itself.

Yes if you do not set WLM 2009 to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP.You won't be able to log in and use it.

But if you do set it to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP.Then you will no longer get the update. And you will be able to log in and use it.

It is only because I had re-installed Windows 7. And WLM 2009 program compatibility settings had not yet been changed from Windows 7 to Windows XP. That the update came. But after I changed the program compatibility settings to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP. Then I no longer got the update and I could then log into WLM 2009. And it is now working on that netbook, the same as on all of my other netbooks. Andrea Borman.

JJ_    127

I had the same problem but it was with WLM instead of WLE. This was nearly 2 years ago and I think I hex edited WLM to change the version string which fixed the problem. Not at home to check but i think i am either still using WLM 2009 or have the latest version heavily apatch'd (apatch.org)

• Like 1

ljelen    0

I get an "appcompat" (incompatible application) error when I try to run WLM 2011 (all versions) on my new Win7 computer. The Microsoft Windows support and the WLE support people can't solve the problem and point fingers at each other (I hate that!). WLM 2009 worked fine on my XP SP3 computer, so I think I'm forced to try the WLE 2009 version running in XP SP3 mode. If anyone KNOWS of a fix for my problem other than this (don't guess, I've had enough of that) please tell me.

Noir Angel    4,214

Ah I see. I presume they'll eventually disable them though?

• Like 1

Andrea Borman    17

I get an "appcompat" (incompatible application) error when I try to run WLM 2011 (all versions) on my new Win7 computer. The Microsoft Windows support and the WLE support people can't solve the problem and point fingers at each other (I hate that!). WLM 2009 worked fine on my XP SP3 computer, so I think I'm forced to try the WLE 2009 version running in XP SP3 mode. If anyone KNOWS of a fix for my problem other than this (don't guess, I've had enough of that) please tell me.

If you read the thread on the Microsoft Answers forum a lot of people have the same problem with WLM 2011.

Here-http://answers.micro...74-52505bbbf290

I would uninstal WLM 2011 if I were you, and install WLM 2009 version. And run in compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack 3,if you are using it on Windows 7. See my first post here in this thread. Andrea Borman.

• Like 1

Anibal P    2,055

Don't you love people that come here for help, then get all riled up when the help isn't what they want it to be

No matter how much you mess with settings or registry settings, you WILL end up upgrading or moving on, the sooner you pick one, the better, and hopefully you pick the option that doesn't make more problems for you (that would be upgrading and learning to adjust to changes)

ljelen    0

Doesn't mean you should use it till 2014...

If I can't get WLE Mail 2011 to work on my new Win7 computer, I may be forced to use WLE 2009 until 2014. The alternative email programs don't offer DeltaSync, which interacts directly with Hotmail. Microsoft support tacitly admits there is a problem with WL Mail 2011, DeltaSync, and Hotmail working together. Their "fix" is to use POP3 instead of DeltaSync for Hotmail.

Boo Berry    2,264

I'd NEVER recommend somebody to uninstall WLM 2011 in favor of the out-of-date and vulnerable WLM 2009. If you must, use Trillian, Pidgin or Digsby instead! If you're having issues with Mail 2011 perhaps try a different client like Thunderbird? I'm not sure if it'll work with DeltaSync though so it might be something to look into.

Anyways just because you can run older programs in compatibility mode like WLM 2009 doesn't mean you should. You don't fully understand how the unpatched vulnerabilities in WLM 2009 pose a serious risk to your PC even though the chance of someone attacking you via the vulnerability(s) is small. The general rule of thumb with any program is to always use the latest and keep it up to date like with Flash and Java, same goes for Windows too. I'm sure there's solutions to the issues you're having in WLM 2011. And yes, you can change the backgrounds in WLM 2011 to whatever you want, even pink if so desired! ;)

• Like 1

Andrea Borman    17
ljellen wrote-

If I can't get WLE Mail 2011 to work on my new Win7 computer, I may be forced to use WLE 2009 until 2014. The alternative email programs don't offer DeltaSync, which interacts directly with Hotmail. Microsoft support tacitly admits there is a problem with WL Mail 2011, DeltaSync, and Hotmail working together. Their "fix" is to use POP3 instead of DeltaSync for Hotmail.

Yes I have seen the other WLE 2011 besides WL Messenger 2011. And both Windows Live photo Gallery 2011 and Windows Live Mail 2011 have got the Ribbon,which I hate. Another thing I don't like. WLE 2009 and the versions before that DO NOT have the Ribbon.

Lord Venom wrote-

I'd NEVER recommend somebody to uninstall WLM 2011 in favor of the out-of-date and vulnerable WLM 2009. If you must, use Trillian, Pidgin or Digsby instead! If you're having issues with Mail 2011 perhaps try a different client like Thunderbird? I'm not sure if it'll work with DeltaSync though so it might be something to look into.

Anyways just because you can run older programs in compatibility mode like WLM 2009 doesn't mean you should. You don't fully understand how the unpatched vulnerabilities in WLM 2009 pose a serious risk to your PC even though the chance of someone attacking you via the vulnerability(s) is small. The general rule of thumb with any program is to always use the latest and keep it up to date like with Flash and Java, same goes for Windows too. I'm sure there's solutions to the issues you're having in WLM 2011. And yes, you can change the backgrounds in WLM 2011 to whatever you want, even pink if so desired...

Well WLE 2011 is different from all of the previous versions of WLE. That is, WLE 2011 is terrible.

And WLE 2009 and all previous versions of WLE 2009 look and are basically the same as each other. The current build of WLE 2009 is Build 14.0 8117 and the previous builds of WLE 2009 do not look any different from the latest one and have the same features.

And even earlier versions of WL Mesenger,WL Messenger 8.5 and MSN Messenger 7.5 are not much different from the look of WL Messenger 2009. The settings are all the same or similar.

But WL Messenger 2011 is different completely.Too different.

And so are the rest of WLE 2011.

Maybe if you have never used WLE 2009 you would not notice it.

But if you have used WLE 2009,then you will notice it. And I and a lot of people don't like the changes in WLE 2011. So that's why I and other users are sticking with WLE 2009.

And WLE 2009 is not out of date. That is the latest version for Windows XP and Windows Vista without any service packs and Windows Vista Service pack 1. And there is also WLE 2011. So there are two versions of WLE. Both supported.Andrea Borman.

n_K    2,380

Ah I see. I presume they'll eventually disable them though?

No, XP's latest version of MSN is outdated, same with every other discontinued OS, like it's 5.0 or 6.0 for windows 2000, once you get the latest version for your OS it'll connect fine and by faking the version using compatibility it will still work.

You can hack older MSNs to work, you don't hex edit them, you change their resources.

Andrea Borman    17

No, XP's latest version of MSN is outdated, same with every other discontinued OS, like it's 5.0 or 6.0 for windows 2000, once you get the latest version for your OS it'll connect fine and by faking the version using compatibility it will still work.

You can hack older MSNs to work, you don't hex edit them, you change their resources.

No,Windows XP is not outdated.It is supported until 2014. After that time from what I read on the web,you will no longer get updates from Windows Update. But you can still carry on using it. But you will probably have to update software manually yourself. As Windows Update won't work.

And WLE 2009 is still supported. It is the latest version for Windows XP and Windows Vista without service packs and Windows Vista Service Pack 1. And if you try to install WLE 2011 on these versions of Windows it won't let you do it.You have to install WLE 2009 version.

WLE 2009 is for all versions of Windows and works on Windows 8. But WLE 2011 is only for Windows Vista service Pack 2,Windows 7 and Windows 8. And Microsoft have not made WLE 2011version to work on Windows XP or Windows Vista without service packs.

It figures. But that says it all about WLE 2011 version. Maybe it is so buggy and awkward that it just cannot work on Windows XP or Windows Vista without Service Pack 2.

But then it does not work well on Windows Vista Service Pack 2,Windows 7 or Windows 8 either.No wonder nobody likes WLE 2011.

And you don't have to do any hacks to get WLE 2009 or older versions of WL Messenger, or even MSN Messenger to work. You just run it in compatibility mode for Windows XP. That's all. Andrea Borman.

Boo Berry    2,264
Well WLE 2011 is different from all of the previous versions of WLE. That is, WLE 2011 is terrible.

How, exactly?

And WLE 2009 and all previous versions of WLE 2009 look and are basically the same as each other. The current build of WLE 2009 is Build 14.0 8117 and the previous builds of WLE 2009 do not look any different from the latest one and have the same features.

Actually, this isn't true. With each Windows Live Essentials wave there was new featured added. In the case of Windows Live Messenger between 2009 and 2011 they use different protocols and thus have different features.

And even earlier versions of WL Mesenger,WL Messenger 8.5 and MSN Messenger 7.5 are not much different from the look of WL Messenger 2009. The settings are all the same or similar.

Mmmm, this could be debated to death, so not going to touch this one.

But WL Messenger 2011 is different completely.Too different.

Not really, in the case of WLM the UI for WLM 2011 can be changed to look exactly like WLM 2009 and earlier. The only difference is a) the removal of nicknames server-side and the privacy settings not within the client anymore with allow/block list. As for the ribbon UI for the other parts, it takes some getting used to but it does work out nicely.

And so are the rest of WLE 2011.

Maybe if you have never used WLE 2009 you would not notice it.

I've used both and the change from 2009 to 2011 doesn't bother me much, nor does the use of the ribbon UI - it's not that complicated to use even in Windows 8.

But if you have used WLE 2009,then you will notice it. And I and a lot of people don't like the changes in WLE 2011. So that's why I and other users are sticking with WLE 2009.

Like who? Seriously? There's not THAT much difference between 2009 and 2011. The only complaints I see about 2011 is the removal of nicknames from WLM 2011 which there is a workaround for. Ribbon UI? It's used on everything now from Office to Windows 8. At least it's not Metro, right? ;)

No,Windows XP is not outdated.It is supported until 2014. After that time from what I read on the web,you will no longer get updates from Windows Update. But you can still carry on using it. But you will probably have to update software manually yourself. As Windows Update won...

I don't think you understand the support cycles for Windows OSes. Windows XP is outdated and not supported by Microsoft anymore except with extended support (monthly patches only) until 2014 but mainstream support for Windows XP ended in 2009. When mainstream support ended, XP became outdated in part to the releases of Windows Vista and Windows 7 and how the cycle works. Also, Vista's mainstream support ended earlier this year in April so it's also in extended support now until 2017 which means Vista's outdated now. And yes, I call an OS outdated when mainstream support has ended. Makes sense, does it not?

And WLE 2009 is not out of date. That is the latest version for Windows XP and Windows Vista without any service packs and Windows Vista Service pack 1. And there is also WLE 2011. So there are two versions of WLE. Both supported.Andrea Borman.

Uhhh, yeah it is. Just because Microsoft is still issuing critical monthly patches for Windows XP for a few more years doesn't mean it's not outdated. Same goes for Vista now as I mentioned above. In the case of Windows Live Essentials 2009 they are indeed outdated and like I said several times already vulnerable to exploitation. I don't believe you understand the risk of running outdated and exploitable software on Windows 7 or 8 in XP compatibility mode. It's really a big no-no and I implore you to reconsider doing this and trying to find solutions for your issues with WLE 2011.