How to avoid Mandatory upgrade to Windows Live Essentials 2011 version.

No from what I remember of IE7 thinking about it now.Was what happen was,every time I started IE7 it would keep asking me if I wanted to turn on Smart Screen filter. But I just get ignoring what it was asking. That's why it kept on asking every time I started IE7.

And as for UAC on Windows 7 and Windows 8, that got uninstalled when I removed Internet Explorer web browser. By deleting the file on Programs on C/drive. And I also use C Cleaner.

Windows XP and Windows Vista depend more on Internet Explorer.So you cannot remove it on those two versions of Windows. So UAC is just turned off on Windows Vista.

And also there is no option to turn off Internet Explorer in Windows Vista. But there is in Windows XP ,Windows 7 and Windows 8.

And on Windows 8 Smart Screen is turned off. Andrea Borman.

Uninstalling IE does not uninstall UAC...

*face-palm* how do you know you don't have a virus if you don't have any anti-virus installed???

Because Windows Defender and Malicious Software Removal Tool,MRT says I don't. Andrea Borman.

Because Windows Defender and Malicious Software Removal Tool,MRT says I don't. Andrea Borman.

because those tools don't do crap. Why do you think MS abandoned them for the most part for MSE?
  • Like 1

why not? as long as security updates are still being given I see no issue.

My reasons: :)

1. Windows XP does not support x64 unless you find Windows XP x64. (Good luck with that, and if you do find it, why not move to windows 7?)

2. Windows XP only supports 3 gigs of ram unless you use 3rd party hacks. This includes the x64 version.

3. It looks like crap on flat screen monitors

4. Some newer apps don't run on XP

5. Some newer hardware don't have drivers. If you have an SSD, Windows XP and Vista doesn't support trim so 7 is your only option.

6. Overall, Windows 7 is faster and more stable than XP

7. 90% of the people still on XP, don't do Windows Updates and don't know what they are.

8. ^ Therefore, these people are still using IE6, costing web devs money and time, including my place of work. So what do these companies do? They chop it out of our salaries. Kill IE6-8 please.

9. No DWM! Hey--AERO is pretty slick...At least W7 has anti aliased Window boarders (This could be counted as #3)

10. It's just old! Why not upgrade? What can XP do 7 can't?

Andrea, this is obviously derailing and no longer about sticking with an old version. By the way, this method is well-known and has been used for years now, so no Microsoft won't block it because you make a video about it. Even the fact that you think they will says a lot about you failing to comprehend the scale of things. Microsoft is HUGE. They do a HUGE amount of research on what users like and what users don't like. They couldn't possibly care less about one misinformed user who's saying WLE 2009 is bad. And they won't care about it either.

I think what you need to understand (but nobody seems to say in the right way) is that most of what you know about computers is just simply wrong. Most of your problems are probably caused by things you did yourself. I would strongly encourage you to stick to just using your computer in a normal way (which is with UAC on, using a secure browser and an antivirus installed). Don't go messing around in Program Files, ever. Don't give advice to other people about things, ever. Don't refuse to do an update, ever. And please don't visit forums full of people who know what they are talking about pretending you know what you're talking about.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with you asking things. You can do whatever you want on the internet in the end. But you should realize that probably every single person on these forums know much more about anything computer-related than you do. So if someone gives you advice, please listen to it. You just ignore what everyone says and constantly counter everything everyone else says. And most of your "tips" and "workarounds" are simply dangerous. Because you want to open up your computer to all sorts of dangerous stuff doesn't mean you get to expose other people to those same dangers.

These are my personal opinions. If I had moderation rights here I think the appropriate thing to do now would be deleting this topic (or at least closing it and removing the first post). I don't think you should be banned, but I do sincerely hope you realize that what you are doing right now (and seem to have been doing for quite a while) is wrong, potentially dangerous and extremely annoying. Ambroos Vaes.

Ambroos wrote-

Andrea, this is obviously derailing and no longer about sticking with an old version. By the way, this method is well-known and has been used for years now, so no Microsoft won't block it because you make a video about it. Even the fact that you think they will says a lot about you failing to comprehend the scale of things. Microsoft is HUGE. They do a HUGE amount of research on what users like and what users don't like. They couldn't possibly care less about one misinformed user who's saying WLE 2009 is bad. And they won't care about it either.

Well that's good to know that Microsoft won't disable the way to still run Windows Live Messenger 2009 or earlier versions in compatibility mode. And I never said WLE 2009 is bad.I said I don't like WLE 2011 version.

And by the way the mandatory update is only on WL Messenger 2009 without the compatibility setting. It is not on WL Photo Gallery 2009,WL Mail 2009, Windows Live Writer 2009 or Windows Live Movie Maker 2009. It is only on the Messenger.

And not everybody who has got WLE 2009 has the Messenger. So they won''t get the update. Andrea Borman.

Hm... So you uninstalled Internet explorer by nuking it out of your program files folder?

As far as trillian goes, i'm not sure what is so hard. You go into preferences click on "Account" under basics. Then at the bottom click "Add new account" You then get a list of ALL the IM services you can choose from. So you would then choose something like "Windows Live Mail" Give it your username your password and click connection! Presto! All done.

As far as not letting people remotely connect. That is now how exploits work. I created a video on youtube a while back showing someone how easy it is to get nuked, just by visiting a bad website which took advantage of a exploit that was not patched on a system. Because you might be running software which is no longer supported and therefore patched.

Hm... So you uninstalled Internet explorer by nuking it out of your program files folder?

As far as trillian goes, i'm not sure what is so hard. You go into preferences click on "Account" under basics. Then at the bottom click "Add new account" You then get a list of ALL the IM services you can choose from. So you would then choose something like "Windows Live Mail" Give it your username your password and click connection! Presto! All done.

As far as not letting people remotely connect. That is now how exploits work. I created a video on youtube a while back showing someone how easy it is to get nuked, just by visiting a bad website which took advantage of a exploit that was not patched on a system. Because you might be running software which is no longer supported and therefore patched.

Yes I saw your video and your You Tube channel I am impressed. Yes,I uninstalled Internet Explorer on Windows 7 and Windows 8. But not on Windows XP and Windows Vista. As they depend more on IE than Windows 7 and Windows 8 does.

And I see you did not get rid of that Windows Messenger 4.7 on your Windows XP. I did I removed that because it is no longer supported and it does not let you log in. You get told to upgrade to WL Messenger.

I did have IE6 but it was not stable at all. You visit a website that is not compatible with IE6 and the whole browser crashes.And you can no longer use it because it keeps closing. So I upgraded to IE8.

Did you see my You Tube video about how to avoid WLE 2011 version? I made it yesterday. Andrea Borman.

-comment-

Andrea-- You don't need to nuke things from the Programs folder. It's Windows not OS X. If you want to uninstall IE, look at my screenshots below.

post-447111-0-21695900-1343940578_thumb.

1. Open up Control Panel.

2. Add/remove Programs

3. Click Turn Windows features on or off as pictured above

post-447111-0-52230500-1343940599_thumb.

1. Uncheck the Box nex to IE

2. Click OK. When it asks you to reboot, save your work, and do so.

Please do not uninstall/install things from here you are not firmiliar with. It can really mess up your computer.

[Thread cleaned]

If you do not want to directly discuss the topic at hand then don't post in this thread. Attacking other standing members is as disallowed as it has always been. Constructive criticism is welcome. Bashing is not.

I think what you need to understand (but nobody seems to say in the right way) is that most of what you know about computers is just simply wrong. Most of your problems are probably caused by things you did yourself. I would strongly encourage you to stick to just using your computer in a normal way (which is with UAC on, using a secure browser and an antivirus installed). Don't go messing around in Program Files, ever. Don't give advice to other people about things, ever. Don't refuse to do an update, ever. And please don't visit forums full of people who know what they are talking about pretending you know what you're talking about.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with you asking things. You can do whatever you want on the internet in the end. But you should realize that probably every single person on these forums know much more about anything computer-related than you do. So if someone gives you advice, please listen to it. You just ignore what everyone says and constantly counter everything everyone else says. And most of your "tips" and "workarounds" are simply dangerous. Because you want to open up your computer to all sorts of dangerous stuff doesn't mean you get to expose other people to those same dangers.

These are my personal opinions. If I had moderation rights here I think the appropriate thing to do now would be deleting this topic (or at least closing it and removing the first post). I don't think you should be banned, but I do sincerely hope you realize that what you are doing right now (and seem to have been doing for quite a while) is wrong, potentially dangerous and extremely annoying. Ambroos Vaes.

Thank you Ambroos! Very well worded. Unfortunately, from what I can surmise by Andrea's posts, she doesn't really read and respond to what people say in the way other normal people do.

I agree wholeheartedly! Thank YOU, Ambroos! Talan Tamzarian. (I choose not to put my real name out of fear of being stalked)

Andrea-- You don't need to nuke things from the Programs folder. It's Windows not OS X. If you want to uninstall IE, look at my screenshots below.

1. Open up Control Panel.

2. Add/remove Programs

3. Click Turn Windows features on or off as pictured above

1. Uncheck the Box next to IE

2. Click OK. When it asks you to reboot, save your work, and do so.

Please do not uninstall/install things from here you are not firmiliar with. It can really mess up your computer.

Yes you can turn off Internet Explorer in Windows XP the same as in Windows 7 and also in Windows 8. But in Windows Vista there is no option to turn off Internet Explorer.

But even though I may have removed the browser,as someone on another forum told me.That is not the only way that Internet Explorer runs. So it could be still there. As when you uninstall a program,you don't always get rid of it completely. Andrea Borman.

Yes you can turn off Internet Explorer in Windows XP the same as in Windows 7 and also in Windows 8. But in Windows Vista there is no option to turn off Internet Explorer.

But even though I may have removed the browser,as someone on another forum told me.That is not the only way that Internet Explorer runs. So it could be still there. As when you uninstall a program,you don't always get rid of it completely. Andrea Borman.

Again you're spitting inconsistencies right and left, you CAN disable IE in Vista...

• Open the control panel on your Windows Vista computer and select the "Add or Remove Programs" icon. This opens a new dialog window where you will have several more options.
  • Open the control panel on your Windows Vista computer and select the "Add or Remove Programs" icon. This opens a new dialog window where you will have several more options.
  • Choose "Set Program Access and Defaults," which is located at the bottom-left corner of the resulting dialog window.
  • Click "Custom" from the list. Your computer may take a moment to load the programs list. Notice "Choose a Default Browser" is at the top of the list.
  • Choose a new default browser.
  • Remove the check next to "Enable Access..." This disables Internet Explorer.
  • Select "OK" to complete the process.

You can remove the browsing front end but the rendering engine stays behind, so much stuff still depends on it that completely nuking it would be silly. If you don't want to use it then don't use it, as long as you keep it up to date you're no less secure.

Wait, are you admitting you delete folders in the Programs folder to uninstall apps? How are your machines still working?

Great, now I have a headache. :argh:

Again you're spitting inconsistencies right and left, you CAN disable IE in Vista...

• Choose "Set Program Access and Defaults," which is located at the bottom-left corner of the resulting dialog window.
  • Click "Custom" from the list. Your computer may take a moment to load the programs list. Notice "Choose a Default Browser" is at the top of the list.
  • Choose a new default browser.
  • Remove the check next to "Enable Access..." This disables Internet Explorer.
  • Select "OK" to complete the process.

No you can't turn off IE in Windows Vista. There is an option to turn Windows features on or off in Windows Vista. Just like on Windows 7. But Internet Explorer is not listed in the options. Andrea Borman.

Wait, are you admitting you delete folders in the Programs folder to uninstall apps? How are your machines still working?

Great, now I have a headache. :argh:

Don't worry - I'm sure most of the Neowinians who posted in this thread feel the same way, myself included. *grabs green bottle of Excedrin*

It's become a ritual of mine to read Andrea's posts, because they're downright frustrating and painful to read. I've become quite a masochist during her tenure on these forums.

Use Pidgin and be done with it, please. If you want a good photo viewer, use Picasa.

No you can't turn off IE in Windows Vista. There is an option to turn Windows features on or off in Windows Vista ,just like on Windows 7. But Internet Explorer is not listed in the options. Andrea Borman.

Do you even read replies? I never said it was available via the same method as Win 7. You have to disable it from "Default Programs" as stated above.

Oh Jesus, I'm spent...

• Like 2

Do you even read replies? I never said it was available via the same method as Win 7. You have to disable it from "Default Programs" as stated above.

Oh Jesus, I'm spent...

Stop it, you're going to hurt yourself.

It's become a ritual of mine to read Andrea's posts, because they're downright frustrating and painful to read. I've become quite a masochist during her tenure on these forums.

Use Pidgin and be done with it, please. If you want a good photo viewer, use Picasa.

But you can't do voice or video chat with Pidgin. Not on the Windows version. But the Linux version does support video chat. Andrea Borman.

Stop it, you're going to hurt yourself.

lol, I haven't even contributed that much to this thread either. :rofl:

Goes to grab an ice cold Bud.

2. Windows XP only supports 3 gigs of ram unless you use 3rd party hacks. This includes the x64 version.

Unless you meant to say "This does not include the x64 version" Windows XP Professional x64 supports 128GB of RAM. :) It would be silly if it was limited to 3GB, it is based off the Server 2003 x64 edition afterall.

Unless you meant to say "This does not include the x64 version" Windows XP Professional x64 supports 128GB of RAM. It would be silly if it was limited to 3GB, it is based off the Server 2003 x64 edition afterall.

Well I would never run 64 bit Windows.I got 32 bit Windows.64 bit Windows does not run a lot of old software or 16 bit apps. 32 bit Windows does. So all of my Windows,Windows XP,Windows Vista,Windows 7 and Windows 8 are 32 bit. Andrea Borman.