How to avoid Mandatory upgrade to Windows Live Essentials 2011 version.

Well I would never run 64 bit Windows.I got 32 bit Windows.64 bit Windows does not run a lot of old software or 16 bit apps. 32 bit Windows does. So all of my Windows,Windows XP,Windows Vista,Windows 7 and Windows 8 are 32 bit. Andrea Borman.

The Hell are you still using those? What 16 bit apps could you still possibly be clinging to, and more importantly, why!?

Well I would never run 64 bit Windows.I got 32 bit Windows.64 bit Windows does not run a lot of old software or 16 bit apps. 32 bit Windows does. So all of my Windows,Windows XP,Windows Vista,Windows 7 and Windows 8 are 32 bit. Andrea Borman.

And you don't want to use more than "4GB" more like 3GB of RAM ever? Must not need a whole lot if you are using 16bit apps. Besides, that is what Virtualization is for. Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate include Windows XP Mode for free to run legeacy applications. if you have a legit copy of Windows 32bit, VMWare player and VirtualBox are completely free, and heck Windows 8 Pro includes Hyper-V on 64bit installs.

So what are you going to do when Microsoft stops making 32bit x86 Intel/AMD editions? :) They did it with Server 2008 R2, there is a chance Windows 9 will can 32bit support on the Intel/AMD architecures.

The Hell are you still using those? What 16 bit apps could you still possibly be clinging to, and more importantly, why!?

I would love to know the answer to this as well...

It's time to move forward, not backward.

I was in the process of reading through this entire thread to rebutt most of what Ms. Borman had to say, but about half way through I decided my time and my blood pressure weren't being well spent.

Instead let me quickly throw some things your way.

Firstly, UAC has absolutely nothing to do with Internet Explorer and whether it is installed or not. You should leave this particular feature enabled as you clearly do not understand what it is doing, and thus do not qualify for the "I know what I am doing so shove it" defence used by everyone else. Also, install some anti-virus. If you want to stick with Microsoft, use Microsoft Security Essentials: http://windows.micro...rity-essentials

Secondly, 64bit Windows will run every app that 32bit Windows will with the unique exception of 16bit apps (due to emulating 16 bit apps in a 16 bit emulator executing on top of a 32bit emulator on top of a 64bit system being pants on head potato). Given the enormous performance benefits to be had within Windows by moving to 64bit, you would be a fool to stick with 32bit Windows out of a misbegotten belief that 64bit is bad.

Lastly: Update your damn Windows Live suite. Sure you might not like the ribbon or the new version of WLM, but the entire suite gained a ton of improvements in the update which are well worth having. If you are particularly unhappy with WLM, may I suggest A-Patch (http://apatch.org/) to help resolve these issues, along with the "Hide Social Pane" button.

You are, in the truest form, a computer Luddite..

Secondly, 64bit Windows will run every app that 32bit Windows will with the unique exception of 16bit apps (due to emulating 16 bit apps in a 16 bit emulator executing on top of a 32bit emulator on top of a 64bit system being pants on head potato).

Why do I feel like that is the exact phrase Microsoft used when they were considering on making WOW working on 64bit editions on Windows which already had WOW64 to contend with. They saw no point in doing it. It has to deal with the hardware not being able to run in 8086 mode while in 64bit long mode, only legacy mode on x64 processors allow for 8086 and thus excecution of 16bit applications. While it was possible to fix, by basically emulating 16bit apps on the 32bit WOW64 system, Microsoft did not feel the effort was necessary.

And when you say 32bit emulator, you are thinking of the 64bit Itanium editions which had to actually emulate 32bit IA-32 CPU's unless the Itanium CPU had the IA-32 module which was still slow, the x64 editions of Windows can just flip the processor to compatbility mode to run the 32bit app at full speed without penalities, thus no actual emulation is happening. The WOW64 layer handles the switch from 64bit long mode to 32bit comaptbile mode and back to 64bit long mode for the applications.

Given that my post was addressed to someone who thought that 32bit was the only reliable bitcode for Windows, I think you can forgive me being a little lax on my wording yeah? >.<

I know that 32bit processes aren't actually emulated in x86_64 execution pipes :\

Given that my post was addressed to someone who thought that 32bit was the only reliable bitcode for Windows, I think you can forgive me being a little lax on my wording yeah? >.<

I know that 32bit processes aren't actually emulated in x86_64 execution pipes :\

I apologize. It is a common misconception though about the emulation of 32bit on x64 Windows.

Why don't you just switch to thunderbird! No ribbon UI!

This is one of those times were even a British accent can save you!

I was wondering why anybody would want to avoid upgrading to the latest version of Windows Live Essentials... until I saw who started the topic. Rather than trying to address the level of ignorance on display here I think I'll save myself the bother and just watch some more 30 Rock. :)

I used to work for Cablevision doing phone/internet support, every 5 or so calls were with people like the OP, the fact that I made it 2 years before the migraines became crippling is a miracle

• Like 3

People can we either ignore the thread or stop commenting on Andrea Borman personally.

As the mods have pointed out, "attacking" an individual is specifically prohibited. However, a lot of the posts made here that appear to be somewhat aggressive are actually trying to help the OP. I just wish the OP would listen and at least go and do some research on the issue rather than avoiding the fact that there is little IT grounding behind her reasoning.

I would comment further, but as others have said this is giving me a headache. I don't know why I keep checking in on this post.

I would comment further, but as others have said this is giving me a headache. I don't know why I keep checking in on this post.

A warped sence of humor? That is why I keep visiting......

I think you'll just have to bite the bullet and install 2011, it might not be to your taste but what other option do you have?

a) Install it, get on it with and learn to like it

b) Install Trillion, Miranda, etc etc

c) don't use it

This has been one hell of a comical thread for me, and truth be said, for lot of people! :woot:

I am reminded of Curb Your Enthusiasm all the time while reading her posts and the subsequent replies.....situational comedy at its finest! :D

As to the OP, she uses Hotmail and has displayed her email ID very prominently in the screenshots. Can someone please add her and chat with her and "make her learn"? That is my one penny to the cause. :p :)

And on a serious note, OP is stubborn (can't find any other word) with her beliefs and her understanding of software of all kinds.

She needs to be told that she needs to be taught.

And no I didn't want to mince words. Truth is often bitter but it still is truth.

• Like 2

Andrea made an excellent (irony) post about Windows 8 and Metro over on the XDA forums: http://forum.xda-dev...25&postcount=31

A short excerpt:

And most of the members on Neowin forums are for the Metro theme not against it.So you won't get any sympathy on that forum for loosing your Windows 7 start menu.

WINDOWS 8 NIGHTMARES PREVIEW is a good name for Windows 8 CP. And nightmares it is. Because if they stop selling Windows 7 like they did with Windows XP and Windows Vista. And we are forced to buy Windows 8. Most people including me will not be able to use a computer any more.

I think it is time for use to go to our President or Prime Minister and The European Court Of Human Rights.

Hopefully they will be sympathetic. And the inventor who invented that useless Metro theme and took away our start orb and start menu will be sentenced to life in prison. And they will ban Windows 8.

And we will get our start menu back and even get Windows 2000,Windows XP and Windows Vista back on the sale in the shops. That will make everybody happy. Andrea Borman.

They were probably meant to be "funny", but still. Andrea Borman is a danger to the internet. Ambroos Vaes.

This just keeps getting better. You have no idea how hard I am having to bite my tongue :rofl: . FiB3R.