How to avoid Mandatory upgrade to Windows Live Essentials 2011 version.

SO WHAT? A lot of people complain about all sorts. A lot of people dislike change and stick to their old ways as they struggle with anything new. It doesn't make the new thing worse, it is a matter of choice.

And choice is all well and good, but you seem to ascertain that the old way is best for everyone, the new way sucks, alternatives don't work, and you have some divine right to have your legacy software supported.

Guess what? You don't! You are one of millions of users, you do not represent a majority, you are not in a position to demand anything. Someone who has identified the need you present has written a workaround, so use it. But that is the best you're gonna get!

Feel free to stick with outdated legacy software, but don't expect it to run on newer OSs properly or at all. Microsoft created an environment, the software is part of that. If they want to force an update or stop usage, they will!

I made a You Tube video about it last night.

Wow...

Yes it is. But as I was saying WLE 2011 is so different from the other versions of WLE that I just don't get on with it. Why the Ribbon in WL Photo Gallery 2011 and WL Mail 2011?

And also from what I saw there is no Windows Live Writer either in WLE 2011 version. And a lot of people complain about the Messenger 2011.

There are not any good things about WLE 2011. The only good thing is that you can now record directly from your webcam in Windows Live Movie Maker 2011. Where as you can't in WL Movie Maker 2009. But then I can do that in Windows Movie Maker 2.1 for Windows XP.Which I have installed on my Windows Vista,Windows 7 and Windows 8.

No WLE 2009 is not outdated. Because it is still the latest version you can install on Windows XP. And if you have Windows Vista without any service packs.Or you only have Windows Vista Service Pack 1,you cannot install WLE 2011 anyway. You can only install WLE 2009.

But that is fine by me and that's what I use on my Windows Vista,even though I now have Service Pack 2 . And I use WLE 2009 on my Windows 7 and Windows 8. Andrea Borman.

Windows Live Writer is indeed in WLE 2011, and yes, WLE 2009 is horribly outdated. The only real significant change is the UI in Messenger, which can easily be reverted to the old interface. You can hide the ribbons in the apps that have them if you don't like them. I really don't understand why you have so many different versions of Windows, either. Surely by now you would have upgraded all your machines to 7?

No, I don't think explaining how to use old and outdated software is a good thing, I think people like you (yes people like you because I don't know what other wording to use) do bad things to software and cause alot of problems.

You are now trying not to upgrade your software to (as you put it) "mandatory" update, This update other than the look of the software which I imagine is the part you do not like there are going to be security updates.

I have no idea what your issue is with making new software run in an old way, (I refer to your obsession with making windows 8 look and run like XP) I definitely think you need to keep your meddling of software to yourself (my opinion ofc and not that of Neowin)

Windows Live Writer is indeed in WLE 2011, and yes, WLE 2009 is horribly outdated. The only real significant change is the UI in Messenger, which can easily be reverted to the old interface. You can hide the ribbons in the apps that have them if you don't like them. I really don't understand why you have so many different versions of Windows, either. Surely by now you would have upgraded all your machines to 7?

Well I am a Windows user and I like Windows. And I like all of the different versions of Windows and each one of them is different. Windows XP is the fastest version and that ties with Windows 7 as the top two.

And Windows XP has got a lot of nice software,Windows Movie Maker 2.1. Which also works on Windows Vista,Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Windows 8 is slower than Windows 7 and does not run everything.

Windows Vista is very attractive,it's default theme and wallpaper is better than Windows 7's. But Windows vista can be slow and is the slowest version of Windows.

But I have got Windows Vista Home Basic 32 bit.So I think it is a lighter version of Windows Vista.And I have my theme on Windows Classic in Windows Vista. So I am not using the Windows Vista Basic theme.

And WLE 2009 is for all versions of Windows. But WLE 2011 isn't.Andrea Borman.

Well I am a Windows user and I like Windows. And I like all of the different versions of Windows and each one of them is different. Windows XP is the fastest version and that ties with Windows 7 as the top two.

Windows 8 is slower than Windows 7 and does not run everything.

Windows Vista is very attractive,it's default theme and wallpaper is better than Windows 7's. But Windows vista can be slow and is the slowest version of Windows.

But I have got Windows Vista Home Basic 32 bit.So I think it is a lighter version of Windows Vista.And I have my theme on Windows Classic in Windows Vista. So I am not using the Windows Vista Basic theme.

And WLE 2009 is for all versions of Windows. But WLE 2011 isn't.Andrea Borman.

This opinion you have of XP being the fastest and windows 8 being slower than 7 is only based on your netbook, This is very different for me and my hardware and think you should take that into consideration when you splurge your opinions about them here.

Windows XP is the fastest version

Disagree. As do many others. Windows XP is the fastest version FOR YOU.

Windows 8 is slower than Windows 7

See above.

Windows Vista is very attractive,it's default theme and wallpaper is better than Windows 7's.

See above

And WLE 2009 is for all versions of Windows. But WLE 2011 isn't

WRONG!!!!!

No, I don't think explaining how to use old and outdated software is a good thing, I think people like you (yes people like you because I don't know what other wording to use) do bad things to software and cause alot of problems.

You are now trying not to upgrade your software to (as you put it) "mandatory" update, This update other than the look of the software which I imagine is the part you do not like there are going to be security updates.

I have no idea what your issue is with making new software run in an old way, (I refer to your obsession with making windows 8 look and run like XP) I definitely think you need to keep your meddling of software to yourself (my opinion ofc and not that of Neowin)

No No. I don't make my own software. I am not clever enough to do that.

You can install software from Windows XP onto Windows 7 or Windows 8 by copying the program files over. You just put them in a Zip file and use Team Viewer to do it. Or you can use a file sharing site like Mediafire and upload the Zip file to there.And you can share the file public as well. And download it onto your computer.And so can other people.

I think there is also IE Express that makes the files into an exe install but I have not mastered that yet. But you don't need any software to get WL Messenger 2009 working. You just set it to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP. That's all. And it works again. Andrea Borman.

Ambroos wrote-

(and PS, the last update for Windows Live 2011 was in March 2012, a few months ago, and contained a lot of security fixes. The new Messenger also uses SmartScreen for links, which is a huge security advantage. http://www.neowin.ne...55308-released/ - so don't you dare say it 2009 is "just as up-to-date". It isn't. 2009 is old legacy software that should not be used unless there is absolutely no other way).

Oh yes,Smart Screen. They have that on Windows 8. But I turn that off. Just like I turn off User Account Control-UAC for short. They are both very annoying.

And they have a Smart Screen in IE7 which kept popping up every time you visited a website. And that's one reason to upgrade to IE8.

But from what I read on the Microsoft website,Microsoft have disabled web links in WL Messenger 2009 in case of viruses. So WL Messenger 2009 is just as secure. Andrea Borman.

You do know why this doesn't work sometimes right? Andrea Borman.

Yes sometimes it works. Sometimes not. But most of the software I have copied over from Windows XP works on Windows Vista,Windows 7, and Windows 8. Andrea Borman.

You can install software from Windows XP onto Windows 7 or Windows 8 by copying the program files over. You just put them in a Zip file and use Team Viewer to do it. Or you can use a file sharing site like Mediafire and upload the Zip file to there.And you can share the file public as well. And download it onto your computer.And so can other people.

Part of that suggestion is bad IT practice (you should never just drag and drop program folders around the place). The other part of that suggestion could be construed as piracy, depending on the licence of the software.

No no Nik, I don't develop software! but I do know that if I copy the Windows folder from XP onto another hard drive and rename it to Windows 8 that it still doesn't boot into Windows 8. This software is rubbish! Why don't you supply all the files I need?!

Part of that suggestion is bad IT practice (you should never just drag and drop program folders around the place). The other part of that suggestion could be construed as piracy, depending on the licence of the software.

Well before I got my Windows Vista laptop,I got my download of Windows Calender from the How to Geek website.And they are not software pirates.Andrea Borman.

Oh yes,Smart Screen. They have that on Windows 8. But I turn that off. Just like I turn off User Account Control-UAC for short. They are both very annoying.

I seriously believe you'd be better off if you left them both turned on. Perhaps some users might be fine to turn them off, but I feel you should leave them turned on.

And they have a Smart Screen in IE7 which kept popping up every time you visited a website. And that's one reason to upgrade to IE8.

It didn't pop up every time I visited websites. Perhaps it had something to do with the specific websites you were viewing?

But from what I read on the Microsoft website,Microsoft have disabled web links in WL Messenger 2009 in case of viruses. So WL Messenger 2009 is just as secure. Andrea Borman.

That is not the only security feature or enhancement that exists in Windows Live Messenger. It's likely that several security holes and other issues were fixed between version 2009 and version 2011.

Well I before I got my Windows Vista laptop,I got my download of Windows Calender from the How to Geek website.And they are not software pirates.Andrea Borman.

If you downloaded that app directly from them and not Microsoft, I argue that they ARE pirates. Why? The Live software is to be distributed via authorised means, this is not one of them.

But feel free to argue against people with superior tecchi knowledge, I'm sure that will help you well! Nik Louch. Andrea Borman. La-la. Po.

• Like 2

I seriously believe you'd be better off if you left them both turned on. Perhaps some users might be fine to turn them off, but I feel you should leave them turned on.

It didn't pop up every time I visited websites. Perhaps it had something to do with the specific websites you were viewing?

That is not the only security feature or enhancement that exists in Windows Live Messenger. It's likely that several security holes and other issues were fixed between version 2009 and version 2011.

No from what I remember of IE7 thinking about it now.Was what happen was,every time I started IE7 it would keep asking me if I wanted to turn on Smart Screen filter. But I just get ignoring what it was asking. That's why it kept on asking every time I started IE7.

And as for UAC on Windows 7 and Windows 8, that got uninstalled when I removed Internet Explorer web browser. By deleting the file on Programs on C/drive. And I also use C Cleaner.

Windows XP and Windows Vista depend more on Internet Explorer.So you cannot remove it on those two versions of Windows. So UAC is just turned off on Windows Vista.

And also there is no option to turn off Internet Explorer in Windows Vista. But there is in Windows XP ,Windows 7 and Windows 8.

And on Windows 8 Smart Screen is turned off. Andrea Borman.

Andrea, do you realize how much you are compromising your systems security?

I am highly tempted to go talk to someone at 4chan and have them hack the crap out of all your netbooks just to attempt to teach you a lesson 0_o

I say attempt because you might still be too thick headed to understand

and so the mods don't get up in arms, I'm not actually gonna do that, I just said it to make a point

I don't let anyone have remote access to my computer. I am not stupid. I use Team Viewer to connect to my own computers in my household on my network. But I don't let anyone else connect to it. Andrea Borman.

I don't let anyone have remote access to my computer. I am not stupid. I use Team Viewer to connect to my own computers in my household on my network. But I don't let anyone else connect to it. Andrea Borman.

they don't need you to give them remote access, hence the term HACKING your computer

are you really that thick headed that you don't know what hacking is and you think your computers are completely safe??? 0_o

• Like 2

Well you are on of the few people I have met that do like WLE 2011. Most people on other sites I have read hate WLE 2011 and want to stay on WLE 2009. And I can see why...Andrea Borman.

Now where did I say that I liked or used WLE 2011? I just tried to answer your question about why Microsoft changed it! (hint: money).

I don't use any of the WLE series except for Photo Gallery (because I make panoramas with it). I'm actually a Trillian user... Windows, Android, and Web infact. It helps if you add accounts (msn/yahoo) and enable plugins (gtalk, IRC. You really should give it another try and read their knowledge base to help you get started.

they don't need you to give them remote access, hence the term HACKING your computer

are you really that thick headed that you don't know what hacking is and you think your computers are completely safe??? 0_o

Well I have got 2 Windows XP netbooks,Windows 7 netbooks, and now Windows 8. And I do not have any anti virus programs installed. And I have not had one computer virus. But then I have got Windows Defender on my Windows XP,Windows Vista,Windows 7 and Windows 8 netbooks.Andrea Borman.

Well I have got 2 Windows XP netbooks,Windows 7 netbooks, and now Windows 8. And I do not have any anti virus programs installed. And I have not had one computer virus. But then I have got Windows Defender on my Windows XP,Windows Vista,Windows 7 and Windows 8 netbooks.Andrea Borman.

*face-palm* how do you know you don't have a virus if you don't have any anti-virus installed???
  • Like 2