Xbox One Launch Thread

For anyone that has a Harmony remote, Logitech is currently working with MS to finish support for the X1 by launch day :

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/19/5121982/xbox-one-logitech-harmony-universal-remote-support

I do have one of them, so I plan on testing out this Friday. This is an area where the X1 has a huge advantage for me personally to integrate into my home theater for media access. This makes it much easier to work seamlessly with my other devices.

• Like 2

Play and charge kit is a rip off, return it and get this, comes with 2 batteries and the dock. Have it for the 360, worth every penny - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FLLFJE0/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've used the X360 version for years without issue. That Nyko dock thing does look interesting though...is there a PS4/Xbox One combo charging station? That would be sweet.

For anyone that has a Harmony remote, Logitech is currently working with MS to finish support for the X1 by launch day :

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/19/5121982/xbox-one-logitech-harmony-universal-remote-support

I do have one of them, so I plan on testing out this Friday. This is an area where the X1 has a huge advantage for me personally to integrate into my home theater for media access. This makes it much easier to work seamlessly with my other devices.

Hopefully my Harmony will be relegated to back up duties. :D

So because of a Microsoft error I'm getting 2 Xbox Ones on Friday (and, yes, I got charged for both).  What should I do with the second one?  Return it or eBay?

So because of a Microsoft error I'm getting 2 Xbox Ones on Friday (and, yes, I got charged for both).  What should I do with the second one?  Return it or eBay?

Pretty sure ebay would net you a small profit, enough to cover the cost of another game or two. Your call.

Just FYI this just in via e-mail from Amazon

Dear Amazon.com Customer, 

Customers who signed up to be notified of Xbox One console availability might like to know that we will have units of the Xbox One available for pre-order on Wednesday, November 20

Quantities are limited so you will need to pre-order while supplies last, starting at 8 a.m. ET / 5 a.m. PT. 

URL Address is - http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=3GP33WTSF0E78&C=VMNNXU1SYWA4&H=AWR38HT2N4ZUYF4AHHK72VHLEDKA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2Fref%3Dpe_195680_65863550_pe_button%2F%3FASIN%3DB00CSIB37G

Returning it ensures a full refund. Unless your willing to hold onto that second console for a while to get some profit via eBay, I would just send it back.

with that and Microsoft saying that they will have units for sale in their own stores I wonder if that means they didn't preorder as many as they thought or they produced that many.  They did start mass production before the PS4 I believe and the hardware itself should have been finalized over the summer.  I'd like to think that this will be the first major console release where the company actually did the unthinkable and mass produced enough consoles to meet demand.

with that and Microsoft saying that they will have units for sale in their own stores I wonder if that means they didn't preorder as many as they thought or they produced that many.  They did start mass production before the PS4 I believe and the hardware itself should have been finalized over the summer.  I'd like to think that this will be the first major console release where the company actually did the unthinkable and mass produced enough consoles to meet demand.

They said from the beginning that they were planning on allocating some stock to preorders and some to day 1 in-store sales, so this shouldn't really come as a surprise.

they've been opening small batches of pre orders since the beginning,so it isn't new.

I doubt I could find the quote, but a Microsoft rep was quoted as saying something along the lines of (paraphrasing) "we want people to be able to walk into the store on launch day and buy an xbox". I believe that was back when the first revealed it or shortly after.

Microsoft said this was their plan.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/09/05/microsofts-phil-spencer-on-xbox-one-pre-orders-demystifying-the-cloud-and-wooing-indies.aspx

With the XB1 / PS4 being based on mostly commodity platforms now, they should be able to launch and meet demand. Obviously Phil Spencer made it a point to say that pre-orders are strong but they want people to be able to walk into a store and buy one as well.

"You want people to be able to walk in the store and buy one on day one, so you're trying to manage the inventory that isn't pre-sold," Spencer says. "It's not a yield problem, it's us trying to manage the hardware side. I want parents who don't think about pre-ordering electronics to be able to walk in and have a chance to find a box. There might be a line, but I don't want it to be that if you didn't pre-order in September, you can't get one. That doesn't feel like a great consumer experience."

This seems a bit strange, same with 360?

mlBxBmq.png

The 360 is the same. There is no option to change the UI or voice language.

I suspect it might be due to storage concerns. If MS built in every supported language into the OS for both the UI and voice, it could require significant space. Just look at language packs for windows to see how big that can get.

Plus, the content/features vary across regions so they can't just localize the US English version and slap it on consoles in say Germany.

I've been playing around with the Smartglass app and I have to say its pretty cool. You basically get the X1 UI and access the features accordingly such as queuing up content for the X1, messaging, assigning your custom pins, etc. Its fairly full featured honestly.

I noticed that in the pins section, it has brought over my pins from the 360, which is a neat touch.

I think MS has the edge when it comes to the second screen apps right now.

I just downloaded them on my WP8 and W8 devices and I agree, they're pretty excellent. Really too bad I won't have any use for them for a while.

Hasn't this been discussed before? It should be able to play back videos in AVI containers (depending on the contents). However, MKV support is not currently supported, and I wouldn't hold your breath for it either.

Although, this doesn't really matter if you are streaming from a NAS, PC, or other DLNA device that does the decoding at the source (that's how I used to play virtually any extension video to my Xbox 360).

Anyone know about media playback support? AVI? MKV?

MS has made no official statement on what video or audio formats are supported for playback directly on the console without transcoding.

But keep in mind that using external storage at launch will not be supported, so the only content your going to get onto the x1 will be via the network.

The 360 is the same. There is no option to change the UI or voice language.

I suspect it might be due to storage concerns. If MS built in every supported language into the OS for both the UI and voice, it could require significant space. Just look at language packs for windows to see how big that can get.

Why not allow the ability to download it a la carte?