Xbox One Launch Thread

trooper11

Well the reviews seem pretty good so far.

It seems like both consoles are starting out on the same foot. Both have features missing at launch a lot of talk about being incomplete for both consoles) and both are only worth buying at launch if you find launch titles you want or are just a tech enthusiast.

Its nice to hear that the console runs quiet and that the ui seems to perform smoothly throughout.

Its also clear that Kinect offers a ton of little additions to the general usage of the system in and out of games that cannot be summed up in a sentence. It may not have Kinect only games to point to, but its now an integrated feature of the console. Its good to hear that it actually works well for all of those features as well.

• Like 3
trooper11

Another point I have noticed is that people are really liking the voice commands, but its not a perfect system yet, with many reporting that commands sometimes require more than one attempt, suggesting something like a 80% success rate.

I'm eager to see how well this holds up when its actually in my room. Its clearly another software features that can be improved over time, but since it sounds like a great feature when its working, I'd like it to be as reliable as possible.

trooper11

Here is another review:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/82098/xbox-one-review-all-in

Some interesting notes from this one:

The reviewer stated clearly that he was running his ps4 through the hdmi-input on the X1 for his entire review of that console and noticed no lag at all. That's pretty cool. I definitely want to do this with my setup.

It also makes clear that game dvr function is more robust and flexible than the ps4 even if its not as easy to access since you simply press the share button on the ps4. I've played around with it on my ps4, but I'm just not interested in uploading to facebook. I'm glad the X1 is different in that respect.

• Like 2
vcfan

xbox 360 through xbox one through xbox one :laugh:

• Like 2
Razorwing

I still haven't decided on which console. lol. 

trooper11

Another theme I see is that the apps are apparently running smooth and loading quickly. That's been an issue for me on the ps4 so far. Slow loading and unstable in operation.

Also, the polygon review mentioned that the day one patch is over 1GB. I thought it was smaller than that?

vcfan

heres a 20 something minute xbox one raw and uncut video. real world usage

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/11/19/xbox-one-uncut-demo

he seems to have a few misses with Kinect,but most of them are because he uses the wrong commands, or his Kinect is not setup properly, or some people are running different firmwares.

look how awesome and accurate gizmodos experience is.

Matthew S.

I still haven't decided on which console. lol. 

us cool kids are gettin the once(those among your friends i'm referring to :P) plus forza 5 mr drift king :P

blerk

Well the XB1 reviews validate the strategy of wait and see.

Reviews all say that when it works its pretty amazing and is the most definite glimpse of the future, but there are a fair few medium sized hurdles that it needs to sort out before it truly attains greatness. Quite a lot of YMMV but generally software updates should fix these,no glaring hardware issues

Controller - good, rumble triggers quite nice.
Kinect - needs work, bit too picky, much better than PS4 + eye but not quite justifying $100 quite yet
HDMI - YMMV - Eurogamer had lag, others didn't when putting consoles through it
Games - Buy the big titles. Avoid lococycle at all cost
Multitasking - neat but needs apps
Console - big, black, silent. No hardware issues with review units unlike ps4.

Smart glass - All the right improvements were made, now needs more dev support

Internet explorer - surprisingly competent

• Like 1
dipsylalapo

Good to see that the battery life is about the same. Only a couple more days left until I get hands on. Can't wait. 

0nyX

The speech recognition looks really responsive.

I hear from many people in here that its mostly software related so if that's the case should we expect some kind of update for speech recognition for Windows which is currently nowhere near to the one in Kinect?

ff1999

Instead of buying games at amazon maybe you'd rather try target or walmart where you get a free $10 Target giftcard for purchase of any XBox One game - 

SnoopZ

My X1 is enroute from tesco UK!

Brewzzin

Received my amazon email asking me to verify my pre-order payment method.  Since I have Prime, I'm expecting the status to be updated today.   :woot:

JonnyLH

I'm going to be collecting mine from my Game on my lunch break at work, having the X1 next to me for the rest of the afternoon is going to drag.

• Like 1
+Audioboxer

Jealous, wish the PS4 launched in the UK this Friday. Enjoy your boxes!

• Like 2
Scazza

Had my dispatch email from Zavvi this morning informing me that my DOE Xbox One has been dispatched. Unfortunately I was also informed that it has been dispatched with Yodel.

• Like 1
BajiRav

Looks like Xbox will keep the best controller crown again? :)

Really loving this bit...

One of the most exciting additions to the controller is actually behind that unusually long battery life. The controller works in coordination with Kinect to monitor its use. When you put the controller down to watch a movie, it enters a low-power state. It?s a smart way of extending the utility of Kinect in a practical way.

• Like 1
SnoopZ

Do we know if it is safe to turn on and connect to Xbox Live if we get our consoles delivered on the 21st?

BajiRav

Skype can not be snapped? That is highly disappointing. :/

George P

Skype can not be snapped? That is highly disappointing. :/

Thought they'd have that one ready but it looks like it's not ready yet.   We'll have to wait and see how long it takes them to push out updates to apps and the OS itself.

HardyRexion

I know it isn't designed to be stood on it's end but can anyone confirm if it's impossible?

My set up realy needs it on its end, not lay flat.

Martog

I know it isn't designed to be stood on it's end but can anyone confirm if it's impossible?

My set up realy needs it on its end, not lay flat.

Microsoft does not support it standing on end due to the optical drive not being designed for that.

FiB3R

Just got a text from game.co.uk regarding my Xbox One pre-order.

Got excited, but turns out they are just "reminding" me to buy more games for it.

Thanks, Game. :hmmm:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Abhay V
      This year's Windows Ugly Sweater features an MS Paint theme, and you can purchase it
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Microsoft started the “Ugly” sweater trend back in 2018 by giving away a Windows 95-themed Ugly sweater. The theme of the “softwear” for 2019 was Windows XP, which was also part of a limited giveaway. This year, the theme for the sweater is Microsoft Paint and can actually be purchased from the Xbox Gear Shop. That is not all, though, as the company is also selling the Windows 95 and XP Ugly sweaters in the “Holiday Soft-wear shop” here.

This year, the company is also supporting Girls Who Code – a non-profit that supports women in tech with coding courses and more – through the form of donations from the sales of the sweater. The Redmond firm will donate $20 for every unit sold, while also contributing a minimum amount of $50,000. These donations will be made on the purchase of any of the Windows Holiday Sweater options from December 1 through December 23.

You can head to the Xbox Gear Shop for the MS Paint Ugly Sweater here, Windows 95 Ugly Sweater here, or the Windows XP Ugly Sweater here, which are currently being sold for $69.99. Those interested might want to act fast since the Windows 95 version is already out of stock at the time of writing.

Additionally, Microsoft is also adding MS Paint backgrounds for Skype and Teams calls to “accessorize” your Ugly sweaters.

• By Rich Woods
      The November 2020 Xbox Console Update is rolling out today
      by Rich Woods

Today, Microsoft is rolling out the November 2020 Xbox Console Update, which is available for the entire Xbox One family of consoles, as well as the newer Xbox Series X|S. There are a bunch of new features, many of which are exclusive to the new generation.

If you're a fan of the dynamic backgrounds on the Xbox Series X|S, there's now more of them. They're still exclusive to the new generation. Microsoft says that some of the six new designs are homages to previous generations.

There's now a tag in the Guide to let you know if a game is using Auto HDR. If you're unfamiliar, Auto HDR is basically upscaling SDR content to HDR. Now you'll be able to tell when it's happening.

There's a new X|S badge to games that are optimized for the new generation in My Games and Apps. You can also filter to only see optimized games.

One new feature improves the setup experience, and that lets you add family members. This is for those already using Xbox family settings.

You can finally pre-install new games that are coming to Xbox Game Pass. Obviously, you still have to wait to actually play them, but now you can pre-install like you would be able to if you purchased the game.

And finally, Microsoft is adding the ability to enroll Xbox Series X|S consoles in the Xbox Insider Program. The November 2020 Xbox Console Update is available now.

• By Brandon H
      Neowin's Community Minecraft Server
      Server hosting is provided by BisectHosting

Discussion of connecting with pirated copied (including requests for offline mode for this reason) will result in you receiving a warning. The usual forum rules for piracy apply here.

Server Address:
      mc.neowin.net (204.44.126.159)
      Currently Running FTB Revelation

Server Rules
      Be nice, polite, and respectful No Griefing, this is your only warning Do not build on others door steps without permissions, explore and find your own land Do not be annoying Do not build at spawn without permission of an admin Do not modify any other players builds without permission Have fun, if you don't have fun you will get slapped Label all builds in creative  

If you wish to join our server please post here with your Minecraft username; you must be an active member of the Neowin community.

Our server is powered by donations. Payments are made quarterly. Please help donate to the server to keep it running.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Buyer's Guide: Factors to consider when purchasing a game
      by Usama Jawad

With the holiday season in full swing, a lot of people are utilizing their savings to purchase products that they have been eyeing for quite some time. For many gamers, this means spending money on titles that are now available at discounted prices.

But what is there to do when there are an overwhelming number of games to choose from? How do you prioritize which title is worth buying right now, and which ones you should skip for the time being? In this piece, we will take a look at some of the major factors you should consider when purchasing a game. It's important to remember that the factors listed below are not in order of importance, and should not be taken as gospel. Some might be more important for you, while others may not matter at all. With that said, let's begin!

Price
      Price is something that's usually at the top of most people's list when they are looking to purchase a game, especially at the time of holiday sales. Most retailers at this time are hosting discounts on select titles and it's always worthwhile scouring the internet to see which store offers the best deal.

Sometimes, this debate can also extend to whether you want to buy a game via physical or digital mediums. If you purchase games as discs, it's better to keep an eye on the sales hosted by your local brick-and-mortar store as well as their respective websites.

On the other hand, if you generally purchase digital titles from first-party stores, it's recommended that you keep your eye on price tracking websites such as SteamDB, PlayStation Games Price Tracker, and Xbox Games Price Tracker, depending upon the platform you game on. This is especially helpful because if you notice that a title you want usually drops to its lowest price in the first quarter of the year, perhaps its better to wait rather than pulling the trigger right now to get the best bang for your buck. Digital storefronts apart from first-party ones, like Humble Bundle and GOG, also tend to offer great deals, but if you opt for them, it's better to check their credibility before you decide to spend your hard-earned cash.

As a side note, if you're a PC gamer, we highly recommend checking our weekly PC games deals articles too where we track the best deals from all over the internet.

Publisher
      This is an interesting factor to consider especially in the age of microtransaction-heavy gaming. While a game may be made by a very capable developer, things can go awry pretty quickly if its publisher is notorious for negative tactics such as inclusion of microtransactions and loot-boxes.

It's very annoying to buy a game at a premium and then realize that you will have to pay even more to unlock content hidden behind paywalls or to remove advertisements to fully enjoy it. Simply stated, if a publisher is known for pulling off tactics like these, it's always worthwhile to wait some time after a game's release and check critic and public feedback to see whether this is a problematic factor for you. While some authorities have demanded inclusion of labels to caution users about content locked behind paywalls, the system isn't quite perfect yet unfortunately.

This factor does not only apply to the business model followed by the publisher, but also their general track record. If a publisher or developer is infamous for releasing broken games that they never fix, it's advisable to stay clear of their titles for some time and wait for feedback to start pouring in on forums.

Update Cadence
      It's unrealistic to expect a game to be perfect upon release. Virtually all games release with some bugs - usually minor - that the developer fixes in future updates. However, sometimes titles are abandoned pretty quickly following their release. This usually happens due to internal problems such as a small development team, the game not being as well-received as expected, or a myriad of other possible reasons.

In situations like these, it makes no sense to buy a broken game which will probably never be fixed. Some storefronts like Steam feature a section called "update history" where you can view the update cadence and release notes for a game, but generally speaking, useful sections like these are typically lacking across the gaming industry. If your storefront does not offer this capability, it's advisable to browse the web to see if any website is tracking the game's updates.

If you see that the developer frequently releases updates to address user concerns and squash bugs, you should consider giving the game a go even if it's not in a "perfect" condition currently. However, if the developer has either abandoned the game or releases updates after very long barren patches, you should probably avoid the game until it's in a playable state for you.

Genre
      The genre of a game is very important and is not always apparent from the name of the game and promotional content released for it. Sometimes, promotional content can mislead the public, leading to disappointment when gamers actually play the game and realize that it's not what they expected it to be.

To avoid situations like these, it's highly recommended that you check the genre of a game before buying it. Some people tend to gravitate towards narrative-heavy RPGs while others prefer MMORPGs - and there are a lot of genres between these two extremes to explore.

Most storefronts feature "genre" sections where you can see what a game is categorized as to make it easier for you to decide whether you'll potentially like the title or not. Other factors like the duration of the game and its replay value are related to this factor as well.

Reviews
      Reviews, regardless of whether they come from critics or the general public, are very subjective. Some reviewers may give glowing reviews to one game while the general public may not like it at all, and neither would be wrong because at the end of the day, one shoe does not fit all.

As such, it is advisable to check feedback following a game's release as long as it's spoiler-free to find out whether the game is worth spending time on or not. Watching a couple of gameplay videos on YouTube doesn't hurt either as long as you skim through it to avoid spoilers.

Websites such as Metacritic aggregate reviews from critics as well as users to score a game, and most storefronts host user reviews as well. While it's recommended to check reviews, it's important to view them only as indicators rather than definitive proof that a game is what the reviews claim it to be. Of course, if a title has been universally panned by reviewers and the public alike, you should probably skip that game, but if the reviews are split, it's probably worth exploring more to understand whether you should invest time and money into the game.

Specifications
      If you game on consoles, this section probably isn't that important to you. Similarly, if you own a PC that's top of the line, you should probably skip this section as well. However, people with middle-end rigs or those gaming on a budget definitely need to keep an eye out on the technical requirements of a title.

Most storefronts for PC games offer a "requirements" section which highlight the technical specifications of the game which allow you to view what are the minimum and recommended requirements for that title, and is a decent indicator of whether you should spend your money right now or save up for a better rig. Some websites also offer metrics for games such as what kind of FPS you'll be getting on different settings on various specifications.

If you are gaming on a budget, we recommend that you check out our PC Build Guide, which describes how to build a gaming rig for ~$1,000 and get the best bang for your buck.

Age rating
      This is a very important factor to consider when you either play games in a public area like the family lounge or when you are gifting a game to a younger player. Depending upon your family dynamics, it can get very awkward to play games featuring gratuitous violence, nudity, and strong language in the TV lounge.

In fact, some gamers themselves do not appreciate strong content in games, so it is definitely advisable to check age ratings before you buy a game if this is a matter of concern for you. Authorities such as the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) issue official age ratings for games, and in case you're not comfortable with adult themes or are gifting a game to someone younger, it is recommended that you check out their website before buying one.

Platform
      If you game on a single platform, this article ends for you right here. But if you have access to multiple platforms like PC, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation, and Xbox, it is important to understand that one platform could be superior to the other in terms of content, exclusivity, or performance.

While this is not universally true, a general rule of thumb is that a multi-platform game will likely be better in performance and graphical fidelity on a PC. Similarly, if you prefer that versatility offered by PC peripherals, it is advisable to buy multi-platform games on PC rather than consoles.

Although, when it comes to platform-exclusive games, this is a different story altogether. If you would like to play exclusive games as soon as they arrive, the debate of what platform to get them on becomes moot. Of course, the lines between console and PC exclusives are becoming blurred, if you can't wait for a game to go multi-platform or there is no such indication from the developer, it's obviously better to get the title on the platform its available on.

• By Asher Madan
      These are the best Xbox games launching next week
      by Asher Madan

Every week, a number of games launch on Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, and Xbox One. However, deciding which ones to purchase can be a difficult decision. We've compiled a list of some of the highly anticipated titles that are launching between November 30 to December 4. The highlight of the next week, of course, is Immortals Fenyx Rising.

Chronos: Before the Ashes
      Chronos: Before the Ashes is slated to launch on December 1, priced at $29.99. You can purchase it by going to the Microsoft Store.

Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age
      Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age is expected to launch on December 4, priced at $39.99. The game runs at 4K resolution on Xbox One X. You can purchase Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age on the Microsoft Store.

Immortals Fenyx Rising
      Immortals Fenyx Rising will launch on December 3, starting at $59.99. The game is optimized for Xbox Series X|S. You can purchase it through the Microsoft Store.

Which of these games are you interested in? Let us know in the comments.