Xbox One Launch Thread

Andrew

Tempted to shoot down there. Probably wont though.

Please do and get me an X1 blanket :P :wub:

• Like 1

FiB3R

Please do and get me an X1 blanket :p :wub:

There are XB1 blankets?!?!?!?!

Crisp

Page 14.

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Not to cause problems but if Microsoft made the Xbox the one thing that does everything for living room entertainment, then why must you pay to unlock things like Netflix? Having to pay to unlock basic video streaming service has really turned me away from considering the Xbox one.

Andrew

Well Major Nelson handed some out at the Times Square queue, so just a guess :P

Pupik

Tempted to shoot down there. Probably wont though.

With a camera, right?

• Like 1

spudtrooper

Not to cause problems but if Microsoft made the Xbox the one thing that does everything for living room entertainment, then why must you pay to unlock things like Netflix? Having to pay to unlock basic video streaming service has really turned me away from considering the Xbox one.

On Sony you pay to unlock a basic multiplayer experience and get some "Free" game rentals.

On XBOX you pay to unlock the most amazing multiplayer experience, smart match, integrated chat/friends/beacons, you unlock all the apps they continually update, all thew new features they integrated and you get the "Free" game rentals or downloads as well.

Both have a paywall, both can be shopped around if you try.   Microsoft's ecosystem is much more integrated and it shows, so i don't have a problem paying for it.

But, with all that said, if you even *TRY* or even *CARE* you can get XBL free, xbl cheep and SO MANY PERKS by just asking. Microsoft isn't a nazi corporation. Go to a Microsoft store for your favorite game launch, i guarantee you will get free 3 months of XBL.  Go for launch, buy another  Microsoft product or signup for some of the deals..

I recently got another year of XBL just by renewing Office 365.

It's not freaking rocket science if you actually care, if you're actually interested and if you actually know what you're getting. 

Its your money, do as you wish, but if you cared one bit, you could find out how to make it work without the artificial complaints against it.  XBL and its service has taken the 360 from a game console to a living room monster.

PBS, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Xbox Music, Xbox Video, Nick, History & so much more.. they're not just apps that let you watch the content - they're apps that are integrated with kinect, support voice/gesture controls and show your friends status and integrate with beacons and all of the features.

I just turn it on, and play a movie, play some tv and play a game. It's never crashed on me for months on end and its been improved year after year.

I spent more money upgrading Roku players over the years than all of my XBL fees added up.

• Like 7

FiB3R

Page 14.

Well Major Nelson handed some out at the Times Square queue, so just a guess :p

Heh! How did I miss that?

With a camera, right?

Right, I probably wont... with a camera :)

Am still thinking about it though. Could get there in just over an hour.

But... I was up till gone 3am, so I'm tired, it's ######ing cold out, and those blankies seem to be for the people that queued up to buy a console.

Andrew

On Sony you pay to unlock a basic multiplayer experience and get some "Free" game rentals.

On XBOX you pay to unlock the most amazing multiplayer experience, smart match, integrated chat/friends/beacons, you unlock all the apps they continually update, all thew new features they integrated and you get the "Free" game rentals or downloads as well.

Both have a paywall, both can be shopped around if you try.   Microsoft's ecosystem is much more integrated and it shows, so i don't have a problem paying for it.

But, with all that said, if you even *TRY* or even *CARE* you can get XBL free, xbl cheep and SO MANY PERKS by just asking. Microsoft isn't a nazi corporation. Go to a Microsoft store for your favorite game launch, i guarantee you will get free 3 months of XBL.  Go for launch, buy another  Microsoft product or signup for some of the deals..

I recently got another year of XBL just by renewing Office 365.

It's not freaking rocket science if you actually care, if you're actually interested and if you actually know what you're getting. 

Its your money, do as you wish, but if you cared one bit, you could find out how to make it work without the artificial complaints against it.  XBL and its service has taken the 360 from a game console to a living room monster.

PBS, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Xbox Music, Xbox Video, Nick, History & so much more.. they're not just apps that let you watch the content - they're apps that are integrated with kinect, support voice/gesture controls and show your friends status and integrate with beacons and all of the features.

I just turn it on, and play a movie, play some tv and play a game. It's never crashed on me for months on end and its been improved year after year.

I spent more money upgrading Roku players over the years than all of my XBL fees added up.

Just FYI, you can't take part in Games with Gold with free unpaid trials and abuse of trial XBL will get you banned.

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

The ps4 you get the Netflix and other apps right out of the box, but you have to pay for multiplayer, which isn't a big deal, because it doesn't hamper the experience. You really should not have to pay to unlock something you are already paying for.

Ironman273

Both my Xbox's just changed status to "Ready for UPS" :D

• Like 2

spudtrooper

Just FYI, you can't take part in Games with Gold with free unpaid trials and abuse of trial XBL will get you banned.

I wasn't speaking about the free trials, Every time i walk out of the microsoft store for participating in any of their free (And fun) events, i always walk out with legit 3, 6 or 13 month cards..

also, so many places offer free / discount card with multiple purchases..  Fry's used to offer 1 year by buying an XBox controller kit with chatpad, i'm sure we will see the same deals moving forward with XB1

• Like 1

spudtrooper

The ps4 you get the Netflix and other apps right out of the box, but you have to pay for multiplayer, which isn't a big deal, because it doesn't hamper the experience. You really should not have to pay to unlock something you are already paying for.

And with PS4, those apps aren't nearly as integrated, nearly as fast and nearly as polished and that's the reason i happily pay for XBL.

I bought a roku to watch netflix even though i already pay for netflix..  you bought a PS4 and you watch netflix, so you already paid for something else to watch something else you already paid for there. You pay for your internet to pay for netflix too

• Like 1

trooper11

But if you use the bing rewards program, you can, in effect, earn free xbl gold subscriptions and then get those games. I know because I use most of my reward points to get xbl subscriptions.

I agree. This is a topic that has been talked to death, but the bottom line is that the only way you can excuse such a practice is if the apps themselves offer a special experience only possible on xbox, you get extra, exclusive content, or you get a discounted/free access to the paid app service (such as a free Netflix account when you buy Gold).

The ESPN app being behind Gold is an example of an app that can be excused because its only available on the Xbox and it is definitely a special experience that you cant get elsewhere. Apps like Hulu or Netflix don't fall into that category.

Andrew

I wasn't speaking about the free trials, Every time i walk out of the microsoft store for participating in any of their free (And fun) events, i always walk out with legit 3, 6 or 13 month cards..

also, so many places offer free / discount card with multiple purchases..  Fry's used to offer 1 year by buying an XBox controller kit with chatpad, i'm sure we will see the same deals moving forward with XB1

Ah ok

trooper11

And with PS4, those apps aren't nearly as integrated, nearly as fast and nearly as polished and that's the reason i happily pay for XBL.

I bought a roku to watch netflix even though i already pay for netflix..  you bought a PS4 and you watch netflix, so you already paid for something else to watch something else you already paid for there. You pay for your internet to pay for netflix too

Lets be honest though. Apps like Netflix are not different between the ps4 and x1. Both are using the same design. The only difference is that all apps on the X1 have built in support for things like voice commands and ui features like snapping.

I still think it will be much better once MS pushes an open app market on the X1 like the Windows Store. They can still keep exclusive apps/experiences as a Gold perk, such as the ESPN app.

• Like 1

spudtrooper

Lets be honest though. Apps like Netflix are not different between the ps4 and x1. Both are using the same design. The only difference is that all apps on the X1 have built in support for things like voice commands and ui features like snapping.

I still think it will be much better once MS pushes an open app market on the X1 like the Windows Store. They can still keep exclusive apps/experiences as a Gold perk, such as the ESPN app.

This changes nothing though, i'm still going to pay for XBL.

The apps are *MUCH* better on X1 though than PS4.. does PS4 have universal voice support? universal search?  Instant profile switch based on recognizing you as a person? 

That's the stuff i feel i'm getting value for.. i'd feel more ripped off if i *just* paid for multiplayer support.

Technically anyone with an ISP that has ESPN already gets it "free" (its part of your sub) over the web so people would fight that argument as well.

BajiRav

iFMlxxHnc7HjF.gif

• Like 3

trooper11

This changes nothing though, i'm still going to pay for XBL.

The apps are *MUCH* better on X1 though than PS4.. does PS4 have universal voice support? universal search?  Instant profile switch based on recognizing you as a person? 

That's the stuff i feel i'm getting value for.. i'd feel more ripped off if i *just* paid for multiplayer support.

Technically anyone with an ISP that has ESPN already gets it "free" (its part of your sub) over the web so people would fight that argument as well.

I'm not saying that you personally should feel its a rip off or anything. If you value the voice controls, etc, then of course your not going to feel so bad about paying for it.

I'm just saying that for the general public, it would be helpful to MS that is trying to push this as a great entertainment device, to offer any apps that are free elsewhere free on XBL. I think we will get there too. MS has made tons of hints that a proper app store its on its way.

As far as the ESPN app goes, you can easily argue that yes you can go to the ESPN website and get much of the content that the ESPN app provides, but you cannot argue that the ESPN app does not offer a very unique experience, tailored for TV interaction. I love that app and use it all the time, especially during college football season. Its so much better than trying to use the website on my tv. I would be happy to pay for it either on its own or as part of my Gold subscription.

spudtrooper

I'm not saying that you personally should feel its a rip off or anything. If you value the voice controls, etc, then of course your not going to feel so bad about paying for it.

I'm just saying that for the general public, it would be helpful to MS that is trying to push this as a great entertainment device, to offer any apps that are free elsewhere free on XBL. I think we will get there too. MS has made tons of hints that a proper app store its on its way.

As far as the ESPN app goes, you can easily argue that yes you can go to the ESPN website and get much of the content that the ESPN app provides, but you cannot argue that the ESPN app does not offer a very unique experience, tailored for TV interaction. I love that app and use it all the time, especially during college football season. Its so much better than trying to use the website on my tv. I would be happy to pay for it either on its own or as part of my Gold subscription.

That's the thing, is general public really turned off by paying for XBox one? If the subs weren't 40+ million users, i'd believe this, but by and large, everyone i know pays for XBL because they see the value in it and having all the apps added and other features added over the years has shown a great return on that value.

If XBL was shrinking and people cancelling en masse, i would agree they would have to make drastic changes. Instead, they just keep on raising the bar.

trooper11

That's the thing, is general public really turned off by paying for XBox one? If the subs weren't 40+ million users, i'd believe this, but by and large, everyone i know pays for XBL because they see the value in it and having all the apps added and other features added over the years has shown a great return on that value.

If XBL was shrinking and people cancelling en masse, i would agree they would have to make drastic changes. Instead, they just keep on raising the bar.

That is a good point.

I guess my point would be for potential new customers. I do wonder how many would not buy a console because you had to pay to access Netflix.

Right now, it may just be an annoyance that some would like to see change.

• Like 1

spudtrooper

That is a good point.

I guess my point would be for potential new customers. I do wonder how many would not buy a console because you had to pay to access Netflix.

Right now, it may just be an annoyance that some would like to see change.

I hope people aren't really paying 500 just for netflix though :)  And i agree, i wouldn't necessarily complain if the paywall was removed for apps and it may very well be if the app store concept does indeed take off as it would be odd to have to have xbl to buy 3rd party "apps" in the classic sense of app store a-la windows 8/rt/surface

+Ryster

I'm hoping it's just a case of them not updating the status on the website yet, but Amazon.co.uk seem to be cutting it a little fine for my liking.

I pre-ordered in June, and less than 6 hours before launch day, the status on the website still says "Preparing for Dispatch". It's been in this status since late last night.  My copy of Dead Rising 3 was despatched yesterday. I was a Prime member at the time I ordered so I've paid for expedited delivery, but still....  me a little nervous :)

post-64792-0-59747300-1385059422.png

spudtrooper

With amazon US, i often get my packages before i get shipping confirmation..

spacer

both versions are identical now with the new update, so you now like the xbox 360 version ;)

They are? Nice! Forget everything I said!